March 29, 2024, 08:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #8 10/24 - 11/19/2007  (Read 214898 times)
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 24, 2007, 07:06:30 PM »

This thread will be like the old LCD thread.  We only request that if you have actual news, photos or pertinent facts on specific cases you post in the proper area.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:43:24 PM by San » Logged
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:13:33 PM »

Yanks should get Joe Girardi..He seems like a great fix for the Yanks.. Wink

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 11:16:37 PM »

For some reason I like Larry Bowa but I don't think they are even thinking of him.  I don't want Mattingly and I hope they replace Ron Guidry as pitching coach.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:23:11 PM »

Well, made page 1

Hello all and keep up the Good Wroks!

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 11:25:28 PM »

Well, made page 1

Hello all and keep up the Good Wroks!

Hi IBE.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 11:25:31 PM »

Was to be "Good Works"

Has anyone heard from Shell?

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:25:43 PM »

For some reason I like Larry Bowa but I don't think they are even thinking of him.  I don't want Mattingly and I hope they replace Ron Guidry as pitching coach.

Yeh he's a old time Phili player but I dont think he's the right fit for the Yanks....Mattingly is a good batting coach but Im telling ya..Girardi!!!!Younger feisty Italian guy!! NY will love him  Very Happy
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:27:36 PM by Observer » Logged

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:39 PM »

Yeh he's a old time Phili player but I dont think hes the right fit for the Yanks....Mattingly is a good batting coach but Im telling ya..Girardi!!!!Younger feisty italian guy!! NY will love him  Very Happy

I hear what you are saying.  He was with one of their championship teams.  He announces for New York and I think the fans like him also.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 11:34:17 PM »

One of my neighbors did this for Halloween..

Took a very large Tide plastic container. Put water in it to hold it down and put it in the tub to soak off the labels. She did it with another shaped Tide container. 

The labels came off put she had to use the green scrubbing pads to get off the glue.

Then she took pumpkin stencils and cut them out of the containers. Put a hole in the bottom and put a one light thingie in there and plugged it in. Left the blue tops on. Shines better than a pumpkin.

Really neat!

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 11:36:19 PM »

One of my neighbors did this for Halloween..

Took a very large Tide plastic container. Put water in it to hold it down and put it in the tub to soak off the labels. She did it with another shaped Tide container. 

The labels came off put she had to use the green scrubbing pads to get off the glue.

Then she took pumpkin stencils and cut them out of the containers. Put a hole in the bottom and put a one light thingie in there and plugged it in. Left the blue tops on. Shines better than a pumpkin.

Really neat!

That's a good idea.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:05:22 AM »

Geraldo on Fox doing a special on the CA fires now esp. in San Diego and Orange Counties.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 12:27:04 AM »

Just got back from dinner.  My husbands stepsister and her husband live in San Diego County in an area called Rancho Santa Fe.  Lot's of houses burned down in that area.  They evacuated the other night and still can't go back.  They happen to own a business flying helicopters so they were able to fly over and see that their house was spared. 

They had JUST, before the fire cleared the area around their home..you can still see the equipment in the field.  Their home is the one with the 2 solar panels on the roof.

This will blow the margins for some...sorry.  But it's a cool photo:

crazybabyborg
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 01:09:31 AM »

Wow, Klaas! Cool picture! Is the black track seen in the picture where fire was? Did it come that close?  Shocked
crazybabyborg
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 01:18:27 AM »

I heard on the news that Eucalyptus trees were highly flamable and that as the fires approached them, they "popped" like machine guns. They said that they were ornamental trees used in landscaping around homes. I think that if I lived in a fire prone area, my yard would look like your in-laws bare field! It looks like they saved their home and probably others with their effort!
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 01:20:17 AM »

WOW is right!! Looks like the fire came very close to them..

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 01:21:49 AM »

Wow, Klaas! Cool picture! Is the black track seen in the picture where fire was? Did it come that close?  Shocked

Yep, came that close.  It skirted all around their property but their house wasn't touched.  I'm sure that's because they had just cleared all the brush away.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 01:25:39 AM »

I heard on the news that Eucalyptus trees were highly flamable and that as the fires approached them, they "popped" like machine guns. They said that they were ornamental trees used in landscaping around homes. I think that if I lived in a fire prone area, my yard would look like your in-laws bare field! It looks like they saved their home and probably others with their effort!

Yes, in Orange County the Santiago fire there are alot of Eucalyptus trees.  I hate those trees.  Besides being very flamable, they drop leaves and branches all the time.  They are a mess.

There is an area called Lake Forest...not far from the Santiago fire in Orange County.  The "Forest" part of Lake Forest is tons of Eucalyptus trees with houses.  I never could figure out why anyone would want to live in the forest part of Lake Forest.
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 01:29:39 AM »

Yep, came that close.  It skirted all around their property but their house wasn't touched.  I'm sure that's because they had just cleared all the brush away.

Yup it helps bigtime..Look's like that is what saved there home for sure!! I spent some time in Lake Arrowhead and we did alot of Fire Break..Clearing off all the dry brush away from our home..When those Santa Ana's are blowin and the weather is hot and you have arsonist's its a deadly mix. Some of those homes by remote canyons theres not much they can do Sad

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 01:33:16 AM »

Great pics, Klaas.  Thank goodness their home was spared,  they are so fortunate!  Eucalyptus trees are what fueled the Oakland Hills firestorm in 1991.  They are very oily and therefore highly flammable.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 01:34:52 AM »

Has anyone ever thought of compiling the "funnies" on SM into a book? I swear, I'd buy one! There's been a boat load of memorable moments!

BTW, *******, got your message and responded.  Wink It was my inspiration for this post.

Klaas.......I'll bet it smelled great if nothing else. I love the way Eucalyptus smells!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.