March 28, 2024, 11:00:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microwave baby's dad pleads insanity -- Gets 25 years and 10k fine  (Read 3249 times)
Levi
Scared Monkey

« on: October 24, 2007, 11:04:03 PM »

::Yawn:: the insanity defense... Anyone else get tired of hearing it used as an excuse to get away with murder?
-------------

By Scott E. Williams / Galveston County Daily News

GALVESTON —  A man charged with burning his infant daughter in a microwave oven will seek to plead not guilty by reason of insanity.
Sam Cammack III, attorney for Joshua Mauldin, has filed notice of intent to plead insanity.
Under state law, a person can be found not guilty by reason of insanity if a jury finds the defendant did not know that his or her actions were wrong. It is a defense that worked in the cases of Andrea Yates and Deanna Laney, two Texas women who killed their own children.

For the rest of the article GO HERE:
http://www.khou.com/news/local/galveston/stories/khou071018_tj_microwavebaby.184e331c9.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:52:34 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:44 AM »

He has to be nuts to have put his infant in the microwave.    I don't think any of them should get off with the insanity plea.  If he was a father, then he was at least sane enough to get married and start a family.  This is just a copout to be held responsible for ones own actions. 

Fry the sucker!!

Maine, born and raised!
Levi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:27:29 PM »

MsVada, I agree with you. I don't even think that insanity is an excuse or even something that mitigates the circumstances of a murder case. Especially in murder cases, it isn't the victims fault that their killer or abuser was a nut case!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 11:42:10 AM »

Joshua Mauldin gets 25 years Rolling Eyes for microwaving baby daughter

March 27, 2008

GALVESTON, Texas -- A jury sentenced a young father Wednesday to 25 years in prison for severely burning his infant daughter after stuffing her in a microwave and turning it on for up to 20 seconds.

The jury rejected Joshua Mauldin’s claims he was insane when he stuffed his daughter Ana in the microwave and convicted him on Tuesday of felony injury to a child.
Jurors deliberated for 6 ½ hours over two days before sentencing Mauldin Wednesday. They also fined him $10,000. Rolling Eyes

Mauldin was teary-eyed after hearing the sentence. His mother, Joanie, loudly sobbed in the courtroom after the verdict was read.

Relatives of the little girl were set to read victim impact statements in court, where they would tell Mauldin how the crime has affected their lives.

Prosecutors had wanted Mauldin to be sentenced to the maximum life in prison.

Just before putting her in the Galveston hotel-room microwave, Mauldin had punched the then 2-month-old child and placed her in the room’s safe and refrigerator.
Mauldin’s attorney had asked jurors to consider his client’s long history of mental illness and sentence him to probation so he could be treated at a hospital.

Prosecutors said Mauldin hurt his daughter because was angry that he was in a loveless marriage.

They also said Mauldin had a history of violence and of lying about being mentally ill to get out of trouble.

But defense attorney Sam Cammack III said Mauldin has been wracked by mental illness since he was 10.

Mauldin claimed he started hallucinating when he was left alone in the hotel room with his daughter, feeling like mud was running up his body and consuming him.

When Ana was injured, Mauldin and his family had just moved to Galveston, about 50 miles southeast of Houston, from Warren, Ark., so he could become a preacher.

Mauldin at first told police his daughter had been severely sunburned, later changing his story and saying he had accidentally spilled hot water on her while making coffee.

Joanie Mauldin pleaded for mercy, saying her son did not know what he was doing.

Michael Fuller, a psychiatrist who examined Mauldin, testified he could not conclude Mauldin was insane at the time of the crime.

However, Fuller said he believed Mauldin suffered some form of mental illness, but is not violent and would benefit from receiving treatment outside of prison.

Ana suffered second- and third-degree burns to her left ear, cheek, hand and shoulder and required two skin grafts. Part of her left ear had to be amputated.

The girl’s foster mother, Heather Croxton, told jurors Ana, now 1, screams during the daily process of cleaning the wounds, and endures physical therapy five days a week. She lives with Croxton and her family in College Station.

Croxton, whose husband is a step-cousin to the girl’s mother, Eva Mauldin, said she hopes to adopt Ana.

A trial to terminate the Mauldins’ parental rights is scheduled for April.

Eva Mauldin refused defense attorneys’ requests to testify and lives in Arkansas.
http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/tucson-20080327-father-sentenced-microwave-baby.769957a.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »

Dad describes microwaving baby

March 19, 2008

Click to watch Joshua Mauldin's taped confession part 1 | Click to watch Joshua Mauldin's taped confession part 2 | Click to watch Joshua Mauldin's taped confession part 3 | Click to watch Rosa Flores' 11 News report

GALVESTON, TX—Joshua Mauldin stared into thin air as his taped confession was played to the jury Tuesday.

“I put her head in first,” Mauldin said as he confessed to putting his 2-month-old daughter in a hotel microwave.  “She was wearing a onesie.”

He went on to say that before putting the child into the microwave, he put her on the bed and hit her.

“I put her in the safe for five seconds,” Mauldin said.

Then, he said he put her in the refrigerator.

“I shut the door for 10 seconds,” Mauldin said.

After taking her out of the refrigerator, Mauldin said he stuffed her into the microwave.

He said after allegedly leaving 2-month-old Ana in the microwave for 10 seconds, he took her out and put her on the bed.

“I felt she was warm. I was freaked out I didn’t notice she was burned,” he said.

“Her face looked like porcelain, really shiny, jelly-looking,” Mauldin said.

It was at that point, Mauldin said, his wife came back into the room and called 911.

The baby was taken to the hospital, and Mauldin went to talk to police.

“I told [the police] I was in the process of making coffee. … There was a cup in the night stand, and it spilled on her,” Mauldin said.

Mauldin described his state while everything was developing.

“I’m feeling nervous—looking in the bright side,” he said. “I’m feeling optimistic; police are believing the story right now.”

The investigator questioned the young father’s sanity during the interview.   

“You’re not a mad insane person, are you?” the investigator asked.

“No,” Mauldin answered.

After the jury viewed Mauldin’s taped confession, Galveston investigator Holly Johnson took the stand.

“What was his demeanor?” asked defense attorney, Sam Cammack.

“Just like he is now,” answered the investigator.

“How is that?” asked Cammack.

“Not visibly shaken, not visibly upset,” Johnson said.

Cammack also asked Johnson about who she interviewed to investigate Mauldin’s medical history.

“When it comes to injury to the child, my job is to find out who did it,” she said.

Cammack wrote down a list of doctors who had apparently treated Mauldin in the past on an eraser board for the investigator to see.

“I have not had any knowledge of these people you’re answered on the board,” Johnson said.
http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/kmsb-20080319-khoujc-microwavebaby.7f21ca3.html

~~~~~~~~~~~
This child survived, but this man does not deserve to breath another moment. FRY the SOB!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.