April 19, 2024, 01:30:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 17536 times)
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 09:27:58 AM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
I 'm reading the Stephanie Plum series of books by Janet Evanovich. They are very funny, light, fluffy reading. I read for stress relief, so I am keeping it fun and entertaining for the moment.
I have asked for Larry Garrison's book for my birthday, so maybe I will start that one soon.

I love the Stephanie Plum series.  I have read them all.

I just finished Larry Garrison's book.  

I'm currently reading Suzanne Somer's new book about bioidentical hormones.  I forgot the name of it.  

I'm also reading "The Twelfth Card" by Jeffrey Deaver.  It's a Lincoln Rhyme novel.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 01:14:07 AM »

I recently finished Michael Baden's Remains Silent.  Yes, that's Dr. Michael Baden from cable news.  The main character is a coroner and I really enjoyed it.  

I'm now reading one of Nelson DeMille's older books, The Gold Coast.  It's a departure from his other books that I've read but I'm enjoying it.  For any Vietnam War era folks, I'd recommend Up Country by DeMille.  It's about a retired Army guy who goes back to Vietnam to investigate an incident from back during the war.  He meets up with a woman who is supposed to help him with papers, travel arrangements, etc., because she knows the country.  So along with stories of the war, he encounters some scary and exciting situations and of course, there's the woman.....  Two quotes I loved from this book:  This woman is much younger than him and at one point he looks at her and says, "To you, Vietnam is a country; to me, it's a war."  Poignant, I thought and I realized that to me, Vietnam is a war also Sad .   The other is this woman, who smokes, always has a cigarette after sex with him.  She says she should quit.  Then says maybe she could just smoke after sex.  He says, "That's still half a pack a day!"   Smile   DeMille has a wry sense of humor and keeps you in suspense.  

As for raising nerds, I'll remind you that Bill Gates was, and still is, a nerd.

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »

I read L.Garrison's book.I am now reading "Snow" by the Nobel prize winning author Pamuk.He reminds of Faulkner.CAT

Live with hope,looking for justice
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »

Well, I went to Amazon today and purchased Culture Warrior, The Audacity of Hope, Bush At War, and three CDs. Springsteen's The Seeger Sessions, Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris' new one which did not get the best of reviews but I listened to a sample of every song and I loved it, plus a ten year old one by Emmylou called Wrecking Ball, produced by Daniel Lanois.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 01:55:51 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Well, I went to Amazon today and purchased Culture Warrior, The Audacity of Hope, Bush At War, and three CDs. Springsteen's The Seeger Sessions, Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris' new one which did not get the best of reviews but I listened to a sample of every song and I loved it, plus a ten year old one by Emmylou called Wrecking Ball, produced by Daniel Lanois.

Good for you!  Happy reading and listening.  I just heard a Kate Wolf song on the radio today that was so sweet and haunting I have to go and buy it:  Across the Great Divide.  I hardly know who she is so I Googled her and found that she passed in 1986.  

Louise, this is totally OT, but I have been wanting to ask you if you have any impressions of Jerry Brown.  I know you have been in LA for a long time so you probably have some thoughts on him.  

Actually, I can make this on topic!  I have a book by Jerry Brown called Dialogues (1980's?) in which he engages in conversations with many thinkers and activists from a variety of fields, and the arts, whose thinking could be considered progressive and "outside the box".   I find him very intelligent and engaging but that whole Gov. Moonbeam thing seems to stick!  So I am wondering what you and other monkeys think about him these days.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 10:28:07 PM »

Dear A's Fever,

I've always been impressed with Jerry Brown, even before he was governor of CA. His father Pat Brown was also a CA governor. I hate the Governor Moonbeam thing, which I think came from his embracing dialogues with thinkers and artists. Linda Ronstadt was his girlfriend. He later became mayor of Oakland. I am sure he will win his bid tomorrow for Attorney General of CA.

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 04:13:07 PM »

Dear A's Fever,

I've always been impressed with Jerry Brown, even before he was governor of CA. His father Pat Brown was also a CA governor. I hate the Governor Moonbeam thing, which I think came from his embracing dialogues with thinkers and artists. Linda Ronstadt was his girlfriend. He later became mayor of Oakland. I am sure he will win his bid tomorrow for Attorney General of CA.

Thanks, LV.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »

I do hope that when y'all buy from Amazon you use the SM link... it helps support the site, so please keep that in mind.

I just read Al Franken and Ann Coulter... swearing off all political books from now on... whew!!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 08:58:52 PM »

Ooops, Mrs. Red, I didn't realize we had an Amazon link. I will use it in the future.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 09:30:53 PM »

Ooops, Mrs. Red, I didn't realize we had an Amazon link. I will use it in the future.

Thanks LV... it's at the bottom of each page and on the front page... I knew I could count on you!!!  Very Happy

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 05:26:19 PM »

Thank you,Mrs Red.I didn't know about the link either.CAT

Live with hope,looking for justice
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 06:54:06 AM »

I just noticed this thread. I'm a reader from way back.

Most amazing novel I've read in a long time is "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver.

For light reading, I've always headed toward true crime & mysteries. I have nearly all of Agatha Christie, and all of Sherlock Holmes, for starters. My favorite of Agatha's is "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd".

Elizabeth George and Ruth Rendell write very up-scale contemporary mysteries set in England. (Need to read Elizabeth George in sequence; she has continuing characters.)

Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River" and "Shutter Island" are excellent reads. He does a wonderful job of putting atmosphere in a story.

For deeper reading, I like historical non-fiction. I've done marathons on European monarchies. This began when I became interested in Nicholas & Alexandria, the last, tragic rulers of Russia - the influence of Rasputin, their hemophiliac only son ... The hemophilia traced through all of the European ruling families.  Henry VIII is good for a focused study - worth reading several books about him. Same is true of Louis and Marie Antoinette.

And I've read dozens of works about World War II. "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William L. Shirer is a good jumping-off place.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 02:00:17 PM »

Hi Ms. Marple,

Now why does it not surprise me that you like mysteries?????

Poisonwood Bible, a wonderful novel, a real achievement.  Kingsolver's abililty to develop so many characters over time and place is very impressive.  I also read her novel Prodigal Summer which is a really good read but not as impressive as PB.  She is such a good storyteller!

Just finished Wallace Stegner's All the Little Live Things.  Very good, very engrossing novel about culture clash in the 1960's.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2006, 10:36:33 PM »

Hi A's,

After I read Poisonwood, I got several more books by her. They were enjoyable reads - she is very skilled. But "The Poisonwood Bible" surely is her magus opus. All those palindromes!

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 01:56:01 PM »

I have loved Emmylou for years. She is from my hometown of Birmingham, AL, so I kind of grew up listening to her. She is beautiful, and very gifted as a singer/songwriter. I always keep in mind that each review is subjective, so I just buy what I like. Isn't that the purpose of music anyway - to give the

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 01:58:35 PM »

I have computer gremlins today.   Laughing

My last sentence was supposed to say that the purpose of music is to give enjoyment to the listener.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 10:17:40 PM »

Yes, honey pdh3,

If I like a singer or group, it doesn't much matter to me about the reviews. I just love Emmylou and have all of her CDs. If not for her and Dave Holloway, I would have no clue where Meridian is.

xoxoxoxoxo

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2006, 06:58:40 PM »

Hey Ms Marple...  do you ever read the alphabet mysteries that Sue Grafton writes?  Those are a fun read....

also, have any of you ever read Joan Hess and Magody mysteries?  They are so clever and a lot of fun!!

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 11:14:21 PM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
Hey Ms Marple...  do you ever read the alphabet mysteries that Sue Grafton writes?  Those are a fun read....

also, have any of you ever read Joan Hess and Magody mysteries?  They are so clever and a lot of fun!!

I think I read one of Sue Grafton's. No Joan Hess and Magody.

Here's a lightweight, fun series: Diane Mott Davidson writes about a caterer who always manages to wind up solving murders. GOOD recipes included. Titles are cute: "The Cereal Murders"  "Dying for Chocolate"  "Killer Pancake"  "Sticks and Scones"  "Chopping Spree" etc.

And a very interesting series: Nevada Barr writes about a National Park Ranger, Anna Pigeon, who fortunately gets assigned to different parks, where of course a murder immediately occurs. What's great is that she's a good writer, brings the history and atmosphere of the park into the story. Usually includes a map of the park. An especially spooky one was set in Dry Tortugas; includes the story of Dr. Mudd, who was imprisoned there after setting John Wilkes Booth's leg. Another thing I like is that Anna is not a beautiful young babe; I think she's 40-ish.

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.