April 19, 2024, 03:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop Advice  (Read 2611 times)
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« on: November 01, 2007, 10:22:25 PM »

I am in the market to purchase a new laptop and have been doing alot of research and checking prices, features etc.   I've noticed one that I am not very familiar with, showing up everywhere and wanted to know if anybody has any background on it.  It's Acer, which looks like they've merged with Gateway recently.
I have always been an HP person myself and did have a Gateway laptop awhile back, which I liked.  But Acer seems to fall into the cheapest category for what I am looking for, but do not want to sacrifice quality and support either.

So my question is for those who've had one and tech. savvy people for your input and advice, before I purchase anything.   I'm dying for one asap., so hoping I get some responses soon, before I just go out and purchase one for not holding myself back!  Smile

Thanks!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:50:10 PM »

I am in the market to purchase a new laptop and have been doing alot of research and checking prices, features etc.   I've noticed one that I am not very familiar with, showing up everywhere and wanted to know if anybody has any background on it.  It's Acer, which looks like they've merged with Gateway recently.
I have always been an HP person myself and did have a Gateway laptop awhile back, which I liked.  But Acer seems to fall into the cheapest category for what I am looking for, but do not want to sacrifice quality and support either.

So my question is for those who've had one and tech. savvy people for your input and advice, before I purchase anything.   I'm dying for one asap., so hoping I get some responses soon, before I just go out and purchase one for not holding myself back!  Smile

Thanks!

Here is a link to another thread that was started regarding laptops.

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=601.msg81893#msg81893
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:56:31 PM »

Acer has been around for a long time.  I'm thinking about going to Walmart tomorrow and buy one of those Acer's for $348 myself.  Laughing
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:58:08 PM by klaasend » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:27:55 PM »

Acer has been around a long time.  I imagine it's pretty comperable to anything else. 

http://global.acer.com/about/index.htm

Acer ranks as the world's No. 4 branded PC vendor, designing easy, dependable IT solutions that empower people to reach their goals and enhance their lives. Since spinning-off its manufacturing operation, Acer has focused on globally marketing its brand-name products: mobile and desktop PCs, servers and storage, LCD monitors and high-definition TVs, projectors, and handheld/navigational devices. Acer's unique Channel Business Model is instrumental to the company's continued success. The model encourages partners and suppliers to collaborate in a winning formula of supply-chain management, allowing Acer to provide customers with fresh technologies, competitive pricing, and quality service. Established in 1976, Acer Inc. employs 5,300 people supporting dealers and distributors in more than 100 countries. Revenues in 2006 reached US$11.32 billion.

http://global.acer.com/about/news.asp?id=6806

Acer Inc. - Gateway, Inc.: completion of merger

TAIPEI, TAIWAN (October 17, 2007) -- Acer Inc. (TWSE: 2353; LSE: AM50), announced today that it has completed the merger of its indirect wholly owned subsidiary with Gateway, Inc. (NYSE: GTW).  Gateway common stock will be suspended from trading on New York Stock Exchange as of the close of business, October 16, 2007, New York City time.  As a result of the merger, all outstanding shares of Gateway common stock other than shares as to which appraisal rights are perfected under Delaware law, were converted into the right to receive US$1.90 in cash per share.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 09:13:01 PM »

Toshiba is a great brand and what I have for my personal and have now gotten my kids.

Also I can get you a discount Dihannah on one particular brand from my employer but.........since all of our hard drives keep crashing I'm not sure I'd recommend these and they aren't Toshiba !!

I continue to stand with the girl.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 05:25:08 PM »

Thanks for everybody's suggestions and help.

After much research and shopping around,  I ended up with a top of the line Gateway wireless lappy at Best Buy.  It was originally $999 marked down to $799. 

Has
2gb ram
200gb hardrive
built in webcam (so I can talk to grandson in NY)
Vista Home Premium    took days to learn it and still learning!

Anyhow, I'm a happy camper now.  Early B-day present to ME  Laughing

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.