March 28, 2024, 08:21:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finland School Shooting 7 Fatalities  (Read 2485 times)
Minnesota
Scared Monkey

Just My Personal Opinion

« on: November 07, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »

TUUSULA, Finland: An 18-year-old student opened fire in a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, killing eight people including the principal before turning the gun on himself, police said.

The man, who was not identified, shot himself in the head, but survived and was taken to a hospital in "extremely critical condition," police spokesman Tero Haapala said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/07/europe/EU-GEN-Finland-School-Shooting.php?WT.mc_id=rssfrontpage

Video Here:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=369_1194449557

Another terrible event today.  God bless all concerned and heartfelt sympathy to families of the fallen.

"The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children." Dietrich Bonhoeffer
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:45:05 PM »

Minnesota ~ This is a very tragic event, indeed.    I shake my head and wonder at all the pain and grief this brings to so many. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:03:37 PM »

I've been to Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I cannot believe this happened in Finland. However, I've read that most suicides take place in Finland because the location is difficult. There are six months of darkness and six months of light. In November in Norway, the sun comes up at 10 a.m. and it gets dark early the same p.m. Many Scandinavians have experienced deep enough depression that they killed themselves.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:48:49 PM »

U.S. teen had chatted with Finland shooter

PHILADELPHIA - A teenager who admitted plotting a school attack near Philadelphia had chatted online about the Columbine massacre with a teenage outcast who killed eight people and himself in a high school shooting in Finland, the Pennsylvania boy’s attorney said Monday.

But the teen was “horrified” when he found out about the Finnish attack and said he never would have suspected him of following through on a violent act, the attorney said.

Finnish police said material seized from the computer of Pekka-Eric Auvinen suggests the 18-year-old had communicated online with Dillon Cossey, 14, who was arrested in October for allegedly preparing a attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School in suburban Philadelphia.

Cossey’s attorney, J. David Farrell, said he showed Auvinen’s online screen name to his client Monday and he remembered communicating with him about video games and the 1999 Columbine massacre in Colorado and exchanging videos they found on the Internet.

“They had discussed certain video games and shared videos with each other,” Farrell said. “Obviously, Columbine was a shared topic of interest.”

Auvinen killed six students, a nurse and the principal Wednesday in Tuusula, about 30 miles north of the Finnish capital, Helsinki. He then shot himself in the head, and died hours later at a hospital.

Police in Finland said they had not yet been in contact with their U.S. colleagues about a possible link between the two teens.

In Pennsylvania, detectives were running the name of the Finnish shooter through the computer seized from Cossey, who admitted in juvenile court to planning an attack.

“We had heard when we first got this guy that he had contacted other people through Web sites,” Plymouth Township Deputy Chief Joe Lawrence said. “We wouldn’t be shocked by it.”

Tipped off by a boy Cossey tried to recruit, Pennsylvania authorities searched his home last month. They found a rifle, about 30 air-powered guns modeled to look like higher-powered weapons, swords, knives, a bomb-making book, videos of the 1999 Columbine attack and violence-filled notebooks.

Finnish investigators have said Auvinen left a suicide note for his family and foreshadowed the attack in YouTube postings. On Monday, Rabbe von Hertzen, a detective in the case, said Auvinen is believed to have written the suicide note on Nov. 5, suggesting he had planned the attacks for at least two days.

Police have described Auvinen as a bullied teenage outcast consumed with anger against society.

Cossey told a friend that he wanted to pull off an attack similar to Columbine. Prosecutors and Farrell have said he felt bullied.

Two weeks after his arrest, Cossey admitted to three felonies — criminal solicitation, risking a catastrophe and possession of an instrument of crime — in Montgomery County juvenile court. He is now in juvenile custody, where he could remain for up to six-and-a-half years.

The attack on the Pennsylvania school never took place.

Authorities have accused Cossey’s mother, Michele, of helping him build his weapons stash. She is charged with illegally buying her son a .22-caliber handgun, a .22-caliber rifle and the 9 mm semiautomatic rifle, which had a laser scope. Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 13.

Farrell said he doesn’t know whether Dillon Cossey had contact with other people who could pose similar threats, but planned to explore that possibility with investigators and his client.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21755646/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.