March 28, 2024, 10:04:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing-38yr.old Donna Paradis-Lewiston, Maine-last seen 10/23/07(BODY FOUND)  (Read 22610 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: November 10, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/237550-3/LewistonAuburn/Woman_still_missing/

LEWISTON - State and local police were continuing the search this week for a pregnant woman last seen more than two weeks ago.

Following leads in the disappearance of 38-year-old Donna Paradis, police said a troubling silence has lingered since the search began. As of Wednesday, Paradis had not contacted friends or family. She had not picked up her paychecks or used her credit cards.

"The concern grows deeper the longer she remains missing," said police Sgt. David St. Pierre, head of the department's criminal investigation division.

Police said Paradis was last seen Oct. 23 when she left a job at an East Avenue telemarketing company. Police have questioned co-workers at Affiliated Computer Services as well as those at the Sun Journal, where Paradis worked nights.

On Wednesday night, a pair of supervisors at ACS declined to speak about Paradis, saying company policy prohibits it.

Friends at the Sun Journal said the night before Paradis disappeared, she complained of a medical problem possibly related to her pregnancy. They also said she appeared agitated as a co-worker took her to Central Maine Medical Center.

"She was very nervous," said Sandra Bruno, customer service manager at the newspaper. "She didn't even wait for me to take my foot off the brake before she jumped out of the car."

That was the last time any of her co-workers from the Sun Journal saw Paradis. Police said there was no indication that she ever went into the hospital seeking medical treatment.

"I haven't heard a thing," said Thomas Paradis, Donna's ex-husband, who reported her missing. "It wasn't like her to just take off."

Paradis does not own a car, according to those who know her. She often walked to work but avoided Kennedy Park at night. Occasionally, she took a city bus from her her job at ACS back to downtown Lewiston. She typically got rides home from co-workers at the end of her shift.

"She walked an awful lot," said Amy Lanois, a friend and colleague at the Sun Journal. "She would take the bus from her other job and then walk here from the bus station. She told me she was trying to buy a car from somebody."

St. Pierre said his department is still in the process of interviewing the people close to Paradis and searching locations she was known to frequent. Maine State Police have joined the investigation at the request of the Lewiston department.

As they search for Paradis, police are also examining the circumstances of her personal life.

Earlier this year, Paradis was divorced from Thomas after a 10-year marriage. In the spring, she flew to Syria, a country in the Middle East, where she married a man she had met on the Internet, according to friends and family members.

They said Paradis was pregnant when she came back to the United States but her new husband remained in Syria.

"She didn't talk about that a lot," Lanois said. "She was friendly, but she was quiet. She did her job."

Police said Paradis' ex-husband, who lives in the area, contacted them about the disappearance. Investigators have spoken with that man, as well as with Paradis' two children, in an effort to locate her.

Paradis has daughters 12 and 17 years old whom she lives with at 143 Pierce St. Friends said she is seven months pregnant and that she is typically faithful about letting her family know when there will be a change to her routine.

"She usually gives me a call to let me know where she is," said Paradis' 17-year-old daughter, Jeanette.

While there was no immediate hint of foul play, police said they are hoping to hear from anyone who might have seen the missing woman.

Police agencies across Maine and around the country have been advised of the disappearance. Investigators were asking that anyone with information call Lewiston, Maine police at 207-513-3138 or their local police department.
Picture on link
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:11:52 PM by klaasend » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:59:04 AM »

Searchers fan out in L-A
By Scott Taylor , Staff Writer
Monday, November 12, 2007

LEWISTON - State and city police investigators spent Sunday trying to narrow the search for a pregnant woman missing since Oct. 23.

Lewiston police, state police troopers and about 60 civilian search and rescue volunteers fanned out across the city Sunday, looking in out-of-the-way places for any clue to the whereabouts of 38-year-old Donna Paradis.

"We had no areas in particular and no information to suggest Donna Paradis was in any harm or danger," said Lewiston police Sgt. David St. Pierre, head of the department's Criminal Investigation Division. "We just wanted to eliminate many specifically remote places in the Lewiston-Auburn area where someone could have gone or we could have found something."

By the end of the day, searchers were focusing on a wooded lot beyond the western dead end of Rosedale Street, south of the Promenade Mall.

St. Pierre said searchers found some interesting items, but did not know if they belonged to Paradis.

"We've collected those items and we're going to review them to see if there is any possibility that they could be related to our missing person," he said. "Anywhere we've searched we've found things, like trash that have been dumped. We don't know if any of it is involved, and we've picked it up so we can more closely examine it."

Searchers will continue working in that same area today, St. Pierre said.

"We will definitely be back where we were today," St. Pierre said. "It's hard to say, until we pull out these items and really look at them. They are items we are interested in, but we need to determine if there is any correlation with Donna Paradis."

Police said Paradis was last seen Oct. 23 when she left a job at an East Avenue telemarketing company. Police have questioned co-workers at Affiliated Computer Services as well as those at the Sun Journal, where Paradis worked nights.

Paradis does not own a car, according to those who know her. She often walked to work, but avoided Kennedy Park at night. Occasionally, she took a city bus from her her job at ACS back to downtown Lewiston. She typically got rides home from co-workers at the end of her shift.

Police were contacted Oct. 23 by her ex-husband, Thomas Paradis, who lives in the area. Investigators have spoken with him as well as with Paradis' two children in an effort to locate her.

Paradis has daughters 12 and 17 years old whom she lives with at 143 Pierce St. Friends said she is seven months pregnant and that she is typically faithful about letting her family know when there will be a change to her routine.

Police agencies across Maine and around the country have been advised of the disappearance. Investigators were asking that anyone with information call Lewiston police at 513-3138 or their local police department.

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »

This one is odd to me.  I live less than a 45 minute ride from this area and have heard very little on the news.  My Step Mom works in the ER at the hospital that she was supposedly dropped off at.  There's not much talk about this woman at all......Even my StepMom noted that she hadn't seen any posters or anything while travelling to work.....

One thing that concerns me is that this particular part of the city is a high concentration of drug use.  Lewiston-Auburn has typically been a relocation point for Refugees,  most recently Somalians.  This has created a language barrier.  It would be beneficial for the local LE to post posters in the languages spoken in this area....

Maine, born and raised!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:40:26 PM »

Body Found In Shallow Grave In Lewiston

Web Editor: Maureen O'Brien, Managing Editor 
Created: 11/12/2007 4:31:57 PM
Updated: 11/12/2007 4:44:53 PM

Donna Paradis

LEWISTON (NEWS CENTER) -- The body of a woman was found buried in a shallow grave in Lewiston Monday afternoon.

Spokesman Steve McCausland says there is every reason to believe that the body is that of 38-year-old Donna Paradis, who was seen three weeks ago. The body was found in a shallow grave near at ATV trail next to the railroad tracks near Summit and Lisbon Streets.

McCausland says a positive identification is expected tonight or tomorrow. McCausland says the death is being treated as a homicide.

www.wcsh6.com

NEWS CENTER

Maine, born and raised!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 05:50:45 PM »

Oh geeeeezzeeee.....I was afraid of that...damn.  Sad

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »

I was too.  When I heard they were searching this area, I realized it is a portion of the city that is pretty wooded.  I sure hope they catch whomever did this. 

Maine, born and raised!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:42:39 AM »

City killing probed
By Mark LaFlamme , Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 13, 2007

LEWISTON - Police discovered a body in a shallow grave behind the Promenade Mall on Monday and believe it to be that of 38-year-old Donna Paradis.

With the discovery shortly after noon, what was once a missing person investigation is now being handled as a homicide, police said.

"Obviously, our goal now is to find out who's responsible for her death," said Maine Department of Public Safety Spokesman Stephen McCausland.

The body was found buried near abandoned railroad tracks along an all-terrain vehicle trail, police said. The wooded area is off the dead-end portions of Summit Avenue and Rosedale Street.

The cause of death was not immediately known. The body was taken to the Maine Medical Examiner's Office for positive identification and an examination for clues.

"In all likelihood, we believe it is probably her," McCausland said.

Paradis, more than seven months pregnant and the mother of two daughters, had been missing since Oct. 23. Lewiston police found her body Monday after days of searching in the area behind the Promenade Mall.

The spot where the body was found is less than a mile from Affiliated Computer Services on East Avenue, one of two offices where Paradis worked. Lewiston police have interviewed co-workers at ACS as well as the Sun Journal, where she worked nights.

By Monday night, no arrests had been made. But police said they have been following up on several leads generated since Paradis was reported missing.

"There has been an incredible amount of work done so far," McCausland said. "Both agencies have compiled a great deal of information."

Last week, information in the case steered Lewiston police to the area behind the Cavalier Bingo Hall on the backside of the Promenade Mall. Investigators began to search the area and found items believed to be linked to Paradis.

Police did not specify what those items were, but the discovery prompted them to broaden the search and to invite State Police, the Medical Examiner's Office and the Maine Wardens Service to join the investigation.

After a day of searching with cadaver-sniffing dogs on Sunday, Lewiston police discovered the shallow grave in the early afternoon Monday. It was dark before the body was unearthed and taken away. Evidence technicians were examining the dirt and surrounding area as part of the investigation.

It was not known Monday how long the body had been in the area where it was found. The spot is accessible by a narrow dirt lane just wide enough to accommodate a small car or truck. Police said they didn't know if Paradis was killed near the abandoned tracks, or whether her body was moved there.

By mid-afternoon, the Paradis family was notified that a body had been found. They were told that it was most likely that of Donna Paradis.

"If it is her, I hate whoever did this to her," said Jeanette Paradis, Donna's 17-year-old daughter.

Friends at the Sun Journal said the night before Paradis disappeared, she complained of a medical problem possibly related to her pregnancy. They also said she appeared agitated as a co-worker took her to Central Maine Medical Center.

"To me, she seemed very nervous," said Sandra Bruno, customer service manager at the newspaper who took Paradis to the hospital that night. "It seemed like something was bothering her."

That was the last time any of her co-workers from the Sun Journal saw Paradis. Police said there was no indication that she ever went into the hospital seeking medical treatment.

"She did her work. She was very quiet," Bruno said Monday night. "We didn't know her very well, but this is affecting all of us. It really bothers us."

Paradis does not own a car, according to those who know her. She often walked to work but avoided Kennedy Park at night. Occasionally, she took a city bus from her her job at ACS back to downtown Lewiston. She typically got rides home from co-workers at the end of her shift.

"She walked an awful lot," said Amy Lanois, a friend and colleague at the Sun Journal. "She would take the bus from her other job and then walk here from the bus station. She told me she was trying to buy a car from somebody."

Lewiston police Sgt. David St. Pierre said his department interviewed the people close to Paradis and searched locations she was known to frequent when they began investigating her disappearance.

As they searched for Paradis, police also examined the circumstances of her personal life.

Earlier this year, Paradis was divorced following a 10-year marriage. In the spring, she flew to Syria, in the Middle East, where she married a man she had met on the Internet, according to friends and family members.

They said Paradis was pregnant when she came back to the United States but her new husband remained in Syria.

"She didn't talk about that a lot," Lanois said. "She was friendly, but she was quiet."

The report from the Medical Examiner's Office was expected to be released today. State Police are keeping their detectives in Lewiston to assist local police with the case.

"Obviously," McCausland said, "it's still very early in this phase of the investigation."

Comments

Posted By:Lynda at November 13, 2007 7:27 AM (Suggest Removal)
My heart felt sympathies to her family. I hope that they find and convict whomever did this. They didn't only murder one person, they murdered 2.

| Add your comments

Posted By:cad yahoo at November 13, 2007 7:29 AM (Suggest Removal)
how sad. what is happening to this world. Sympathies to her family. God bless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.sunjournal.com/story/238227-3/LewistonAuburn/City_killing_probed/

MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:48:13 AM »

Thanks Nut...I was wondering how they found her. So sad she has 12 and 17 year old daughters.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »

Co-Worker Charged With Murder In Woman's Death
LEWISTON, Maine -- Lewiston police on Tuesday announced an arrest in the death of a Lewiston woman whose body was found last week in a shallow grave.

Richard Dwyer, 44, of Canton, has been charged with murder in connection with the death of Donna Paradis.

Paradis, 38, was seven months pregnant at the time of her disappearance on Oct. 23. Her body was discovered last Monday near an all-terrain vehicle trail running along railroad tracks behind the Promenade Mall.

An autopsy conducted on Tuesday by the State Medical Examiner's Office determined that the body was Paradis', though the cause of death was withheld at the request of the Attorney General's Office.

Police on Tuesday said Dwyer worked with Paradis at Affiliated Computer Services.

According to an affidavit filed in Dwyer’s arrest, Dwyer had been helping Paradis to buy a car. It said that on the day of her disappearance, Dwyer slipped Paradis a note saying she could use his car. After leaving work, the affidavit said Paradis went to Northeast Bank on Lisbon Street and purchased a $400 money order, then returned a few minutes later to cash it.

A co-worker later reported seeing her cross the street near the Promenade Mall.

Police said Paradis had been strangled and may have been sexually assaulted.

They said they traced a pickaxe and shovel found near the shallow grave to Dwyer through surveillance video at the stores where they were purchased.

Dwyer was served arrest papers at the Androscoggin County Jail, where he has been held since early November in connection with a convenience store robbery in September

Maine, born and raised!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »

Paradis Update
November 20, 2007
Police have arrested a co-worker in connection with the death of a pregnant woman in Lewiston.  Donna Paradis (38) disappeared last month. Her co-worker, Richard Dwyer of Canton, is charged with murder.  Paradis' body was found earlier this month in a shallow grave behind the Promenade Mall in Lewiston.  She was 8 months pregnant and authorities say she was strangled. Dwyer is in the Androscoggin county jail on unrelated robbery charges.  He's expected to make his first court appearance Wendesday in Androscoggin County Superior Court.

http://www.wabi.tv/index.php?cat_id=4006&url_news4006=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wabi.tv%2Fmodules%2FNews%2FdisplayNews.php%3Fid%3D2069&formFocus=news4006

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »

guess we were posting the news at the same time Nut.

At least they caught her killer.

Maine, born and raised!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »

Man held in killing

Sun Journal (Lewiston, Maine)

LEWISTON - A man with a violent criminal past who worked with Donna Paradis was charged Tuesday with killing the 38-year-old mother of two.

Richard Dwyer, 44, of 30 Farrand Hill Road in Canton is charged with murder in the slaying of Paradis, a pregnant woman whose body was found buried Nov. 12 in woods behind Flagship Cinemas in the Promenade Mall on Lisbon Street nearly three weeks after she disappeared.

According to an affidavit by Detective Jennifer King of the Maine State Police, Paradis was strangled. When her body was found last week, she was nude except for strips of cloth around her neck and both wrists.

There was evidence that Paradis had been sexually assaulted, according to the affidavit.

Evidence is being examined at the Maine State Police crime laboratory.

Dwyer, who has been in the Androscoggin County Jail since Nov. 7 on an unrelated robbery charge, has previous convictions that include bank robbery, unlawful sexual contact, assault and escape from prison.

Dwyer worked with Paradis at Affiliated Computer Services on East Avenue, according to court documents. Friends and co-workers said Paradis had been talking with him about buying a car he had found for her.

A co-worker at ACS told police that on the afternoon Paradis disappeared Oct. 23, Dwyer passed her a note informing her that he had found a car she might be interested in buying. After Paradis left work and walked to Burger King on Lisbon Street, which is between ACS and the area where her body was discovered, she was never seen again by friends, police said.

Investigators believe Dwyer killed Paradis in a wooded area along an all-terrain vehicle trail between the Promenade Mall and Lincoln Street. Lewiston police discovered evidence there after beginning a search of places near the ACS offices on Nov. 10.

"It seemed like a logical place to search," said Lewiston deputy police Chief Michael Bussiere. "It was good police work, as it turned out."

Among the items found there, according to the affidavit, was a record of a money order Paradis had obtained at a local bank the day she disappeared. She had cashed the order and requested four $100 bills, according to the court document.

In the same area, police also found a coat, maternity pants with underwear coiled up inside, a black camisole and a pair of shoes. All of the clothing was believed to have been worn by Paradis the day she disappeared.

Searchers also found a pickax and shovel near the area where Paradis jacket had been discovered, according to the court document. Both were new with store stickers still on them. Police traced the pickax to Wal-Mart and the shovel to Lowe's, both in Auburn. Store surveillance cameras later revealed video of Dwyer buying both items, according to the affidavit. At Lowe's he used a $100 bill to pay for the shovel and a yellow flashlight.

Lewiston police began a large scale search of the area, enlisting Maine State Police and volunteers from the Maine Association of Search and Rescue to help over Veterans Day weekend. Lewiston police eventually discovered Paradis body in a grave roughly six inches deep.

Investigators began focusing on Dwyer as a suspect and spent a week putting their case together. On Tuesday, they went to the Androscoggin County Jail and charged him with murder.

"It's important to note that we knew that this suspect was in custody," Bussiere said. "In that regard, we knew that he didn't present a further threat to the community."

According to the affidavit, Dwyer told police he had stayed with a girlfriend in Lewiston the night Paradis vanished. That woman, when interviewed by police, said Dwyer had arrived at her apartment about 10:30 p.m. with a yellow flashlight.

The flashlight was found in the girlfriend's car, police said.

Dwyer, whose adult criminal history dates back to his 18th birthday in 1981, was charged with unlawful sexual contact that year. He served six months behind bars and returned several times to jail in ensuing years on charges that include burglaries, thefts, disorderly conduct and trespass.

In 1987, he was convicted of robbery in a heist at Norstar Bank in New Auburn. He was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison. He was paroled in 1994.

In 1995, Dwyer was charged with raping a woman who was crossing the footbridge between Lewiston and Auburn. He was ultimately acquitted of that charge.

According to court documents, Dwyer had worked full-time at ACS for about a year before he was arrested Nov. 7 and charged with the September knife-point robbery of a Big Apple store in Lewiston.

According to a police affidavit, Dwyer appeared nervous when he was questioned about the robbery. He told investigators that he had smoked a few marijuana joints the day of the stick-up and that he was stressed about his relationship with a girlfriend.

Dwyer was free at the time Paradis disappeared, but he was at the Androscoggin County Jail the day her body was found.

According to the court documents, Dwyer was living with his brother and a girlfriend at 30 Farrand Hill Road in Canton at the time Paradis was killed. He has also lived at various locations in Lewiston, Auburn and Lisbon.

Supervisors at ACS have declined to speak about the case.

Paradis also worked nights at the Sun Journal on Park Street. Friends there said the night before Paradis disappeared, she complained of a medical problem possibly related to her pregnancy. They also said she appeared agitated as a co-worker took her to Central Maine Medical Center.

"She was very nervous," said Sandra Bruno, customer service manager at the newspaper. "She didn't even wait for me to take my foot off the brake before she jumped out of the car."

That was the last time any of her co-workers from the Sun Journal saw Paradis. She was seen in the hospital maternity ward and went to work at ACS the following day. She never returned home.

Paradis did not own a car, according to those who knew her. Dwyer had volunteered to help her find one to buy, according to the affidavit.

At the Sun Journal, co-workers said she did not speak much about her personal life other than to say she was at times romantically confused.

Earlier this year, Paradis was divorced from her husband after a 10-year marriage. In the spring, she flew to Syria, a country in the Middle East, where she married a man she had met on the Internet, according to friends and family members.

They said Paradis was pregnant when she came back to the United States but her new husband remained in Syria. Maine does not have a law that allows them to charge Dwyer with the death of Paradis unborn son, as 36 other states do.

"It's so sad," said Amy Lanois, a co-worker at the Sun Journal. "I keep thinking that she never got a chance to see her baby's face. She never got a chance to hold him."

Paradis has daughters 12 and 17 years old whom she lived with at 143 Pierce St.

"We're pleased that we can present some element of closure for the family," Bussiere said.

Some of Paradis co-workers from the Sun Journal attended her funeral service Tuesday at the Greek Orthodox Church of The Holy Trinity, 155 Hogan Road, Lewiston and burial at Broadview Cemetery, also in Lewiston. For nearly a month, they had been awaiting word on her fate.

"I think the Lewiston Police Department did a wonderful job investigating this," said Sun Journal employee Steven Farmer. "My heart goes out to her family. Hopefully in time, some of that pain will ease."

Dwyer is expected to make his initial court appearance Wednesday morning. He was being held Tuesday night without bail. 

November 21, 2007
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:704837924&start=2

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »

I can't find anything more recent than this>>>
There are some interesting comments at the bottom.

Dwyer faces more charges

By Christopher Williams , Staff Writer
Friday, December 7, 2007
snipped.....(article is mostly a repeat of the above post)

Dwyer's lawyer, George Hess, quizzed King on the witness stand about forensic analysis of physical evidence from the scene, including fingerprints. King said the state's analysis in the case wasn't complete.

Assistant Attorney General Lisa Marchese pointed to Dwyer's lengthy criminal history, including several failures to appear in court on charges and one instance of escape from Maine State Prison.

Hess argued his client should be freed on bail because all analysis of evidence in the case hadn't been concluded and Dwyer's court lapses weren't recent, but dated back to the 1980s.

Marchese pointed out that Dwyer had been in jail or prison most of his adult life.

Justice Thomas Delahanty II said there was probable cause linking Dwyer to the alleged murder and ordered him held without bail, noting his criminal record not only makes him a flight risk but also a threat to the community, given his likelihood to commit another crime if freed.

Delahanty also ordered Dwyer to supply a blood sample to be used in forensic analysis in the case. The judge gave both sides two months to present motions in the case.

Dwyer also was indicted on a robbery charge in connection with a Sept. 17 incident at a Big Apple in which he allegedly threatened a cashier with a knife.
http://www.sunjournal.com/story/241975-3/LewistonAuburn/Dwyer_faces_more_charges/

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 04:24:01 PM »

Sun Journal (Lewiston, Maine)

September 7, 2008 Sunday 

Trial in woman's death to start

AUBURN - A Canton man accused of killing a pregnant Lewiston woman is expected to stand trial this week.

Jury selection is scheduled for Friday.

Richard Dwyer, 45, faces charges of murder, gross sexual assault and robbery in connection with the fall 2007 slaying of 38-year-old Donna Paradis.

A judge in Androscoggin County Superior Court ruled recently that the state didn't have to conduct a comparative search of its DNA database for similar genetic profiles.

Dwyer's attorney, George Hess, filed a motion seeking to have the state's three DNA database indexes cross-checked for matches.

Justice Thomas Delahanty II wrote Tuesday that the state isn't required to carry out that task. Instead, Delahanty said Hess could make efforts to impeach the DNA results during the trial through other evidence and could attempt to cast doubt on conclusions drawn by state forensic workers during cross-examination of expert witnesses.

"This court fails to see any basis or sufficient precedent to order the state to conduct such a test or comparison," Delahanty wrote.

The state has no evidence that connects Dwyer to any of the exhibits, Delahanty wrote. But it does plan to offer proof that several pieces of evidence found in Dwyer's possession could be linked through DNA to Paradis, he wrote. That means the DNA found on that evidence would be compared to the genetic makeup of Paradis. It would not be compared to the genetic makeup of DNA profiles from unsolved crimes in the state. Nor would it be compared to missing persons and convicted felons in Maine. Those three categories make up the state's DNA database.

In earlier motions, Delahanty rejected Dwyer's motion to suppress statements he made to police during two interviews. Hess had argued his client's constitutional rights had been violated because police had not read him the Miranda warning. Delahanty ruled the statements were admissible because Dwyer had not been in police custody.

Hess also had argued the judge should dismiss the charge of gross sexual assault, citing lack of evidence. That motion also was denied. Hess then tried to have that charge separated from the murder charge. That motion was denied.

The nude body of Paradis, a mother of two and pregnant, was found in a shallow grave in a wooded area behind Promenade Mall on Lisbon Street on Nov. 12. She had been missing about three weeks.

A Maine State Police detective said Paradis had been strangled. There was evidence she had been bound. Her clothes were found, some inside out and stained with semen.

Police viewed surveillance cameras from two local stores where Dwyer reportedly bought a shovel and a pickax, using a $100 bill at one of the stores. Paradis reportedly cashed a $400 money order to buy a car, according to court records.

Police said Dwyer had promised to help her buy a car and told her she needed $400. The two worked together at Affiliated Computer Services, across the street from where Paradis body was found. 

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:847511380&start=1

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.