March 28, 2024, 07:10:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaliek Rainwalker 12, msg 11/1/07 Cambridge-Greenwich, NY  (Read 155151 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #320 on: July 02, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »

The jacket Jaliek was reported to be wearing the day he disappeared has been found, but LE won't say when or where they located it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAR2ulBYjFc
Jaliek Rainwalker case reclassified as homicide, no longer missing
Published on Jan 20, 2013

CAMBRIDGE - Probable Child Homicide--that's how police are now classifying the investigation into the disappearance of 12-year old Jaliek Rainwalker. The boy was reported missing five years ago from Greenwich and Police say they no longer believe in the possibility that he just ran away, they say they are convinced foul play was involved.

It's a hard day, it's a sad day, we have always held out hope that Jaliek is alive and would be coming home to his family, says Dennis Smith, Jaliek's adoptive Grandfather. This is really hard, we want closure, we need closure, it's been 5 years and it's another holiday season and it makes it really hard, adds Barbra Reeley, Jaliek's adoptive grandmother.

Jaliek Rainwalker was last seen with his father, Steven Kerr on November 1, 2007, the next day he was reported missing. In the days following Jaliek's disappearance, Kerr spoke at a vigil held for the boy saying, I believe deep in my soul that my son is alive and safe, somewhere. A few weeks later, Kerr, his wife and their other adopted children moved to Vermont and stopped cooperating with police investigating Jaliek's case.

Investigators say there is no indication or evidence that Jaliek ran-away, they now believe he was killed. Cambridge-Greenwich Police stopped short of calling Kerr an official suspect but did say that they have reached out to the attorney hired to represent him to try and set up an interview. I'm hoping, that after 5 years, that they'll be able to come in and answer some questions, Chief George Bell says. Investigators have found the jacket that Jaliek was reported to have been wearing the day he disappeared but won't say when or where they located it. CBS6 has also learned that cadaver dogs were brought in to search a building in Troy on Tuesday. This is not a cold case, the leads have been coming in, we're at 500-someodd leads in this case, this is just something that came up recently that we felt needed to be further investigated, Bell says.

Smith and Reeley have been suspicious of their son-in-law since the day Jaliek was reported missing. If you did nothing wrong, if you have nothing to hide, why don't you cooperate with law enforcement to help find your son? Smith says. While the questions continue about what happened to Jaliek, his grandparents, who no longer have contact with their daughter, son-in-law, or other grandchildren, are hoping that someone will come forward with new information in the case. We drive by cemeteries and my heart breaks because there are markers for people, there's no marker for our grandson, we just want a marker we want to know where he is and what happened to him, Reeley says.

Anyone with any information they think might be helpful relating to Jaliek are asked to call the Cambridge-Greenwich Police Department at 518-692-9332.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #321 on: July 02, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »

http://poststar.com/news/local/police-new-report-sheds-light-on-jaliek-rainwalker-case/article_c054d8c0-8c1d-11e2-ac08-0019bb2963f4.html
Police: New report sheds light on Jaliek Rainwalker case
March 13, 2013

Police have gleaned leads from a new, 80-page report on the disappearance of Greenwich youth Jaliek Rainwalker as they work toward building a case against the person they believe is responsible for what they believe was the boy’s killing.

The report was compiled by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which sent a pair of investigators to Washington County last fall to review the investigation and evidence in the case compiled by Cambridge-Greenwich Police, State Police, the state Department of Environmental Conservation forest rangers and the FBI.

Cambridge-Greenwich Police Chief George Bell said the report -- which he said will not be released publicly -- was compiled by retired police officers who work with the non-profit organization NCMEC to assist police

“It does shed some light on the case and they do draw some conclusions,” Bell said.

He said he could not elaborate as the investigation continued.

Rainwalker was 12 when he disappeared from a family home in the village of Greenwich on Nov. 1, 2007. No trace of him has been found since, and police late last year classified the case as a homicide.

Police have labeled Rainwalker’s adopted father, Stephen Kerr, as a “person of interest” in his son’s disappearance. Rainwalker was alone with his father at a home in the village of Greenwich owned by Kerr’s family before he was reported missing, and police have said there are a number of inconsistencies in Kerr’s version of events from that night and the hours that followed.

Kerr has denied involvement in the boy’s disappearance, and his lawyers have said they believe Rainwalker -- who had a history of behavioral problems and mental problems -- ran away.

Bell said in mid-December that Kerr’s lawyer had indicated he would sit down with police to be re-interviewed -- his first interview since he refused a polygraph test in 2007 -- but Bell said that interview has not happened. He said State Police plan to contact Kerr’s lawyer in the coming weeks.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #322 on: July 02, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »

http://capitalregion.ynn.com/content/top_stories/654968/state-police-divers-search-hudson-for-jaliek-rainwalker/
State Police divers search Hudson for Jaliek Rainwalker
By: Matt Hunter
Four months after investigators say they received a lead, State Police divers search the Hudson River for a missing Washington County boy who disappeared more than five years ago. YNN's Matt Hunter reports on continued efforts to find Jaliek Rainwalker.
April 9, 2013

More than five years has passed since she last saw him, but Barbara Reeley still clings to hope that one day her grandson, Jaliek Rainwalker, will be found.

On Tuesday morning, Reeley looked on as State Police divers searched the eastern bank of the Hudson River in Troy. Investigators received a tip following a December news conference at which the investigation was reclassified as a homicide.

"This woman reported it just after our news conference, but it's something that went to back to the year Jaliek went missing, so that's why we chose to do that area," said Cambridge-Greenwich Police Chief George Bell, whose department heads the search for Rainwalker.

Alternating shifts, divers spent more than two hours in the Hudson, but found no signs of the boy who was last seen outside his Washington County home in the fall of 2007. Bell says similar leads will be followed up on in the weeks ahead.

"We have to bring closure to it and it's our job to do that,” Bell said. “So we'll keep going one way or the other until there's some kind of closure, whether it's me or the next guy that takes my spot."

With no suspect ever officially named, investigators appear no closer to finding the boy's remains than they were five years ago, but Reeley remains hopeful her family will one day find an answer.

"It may not be in my lifetime, but I feel that everybody deserves to be put to rest,” Reeley said. “My grandson deserves to be found, as do all missing people deserve to be found."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #323 on: July 02, 2013, 09:11:34 PM »

http://www.findjaliek.org/
Find Jaliek Rainwalker

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #324 on: July 03, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »

Thanks for the updates Muffy 
I believe the father knows so much, much more than he has ever told.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »

Thanks for the updates Muffy 
I believe the father knows so much, much more than he has ever told.

ITA Sister.   

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »

Indeed!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/rainwalker_jaliek.html
Jaliek L. Rainwalker

Last updated July 29, 2013; details of disappearance updated.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »

wow..ty muffy

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »

wow..ty muffy

Thank you Nut.  I'm glad to know Jaliek's case is still being investigated.  It's going slowly, but it's still going. 

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #330 on: August 07, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »

what a horrid life this little man had.

Hope he is found.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #331 on: November 09, 2014, 04:57:41 AM »

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2014, 05:35:07 AM »

November 1st marks 7 years Jaliek has been missing.  We have not forgotten.

an angelic monkey an angelic monkey an angelic monkey

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2014, 06:08:47 PM »

http://poststar.com/news/local/police-search-greenwich-home-again-in-attempt-to-solve-jaliek/article_bb39795a-4a7f-11e4-9aad-272fa988ec6c.html
Police search Greenwich home again in attempt to solve Jaliek Rainwalker case
October 2, 2014

Police recently searched the former home of Jaliek Rainwalker as the police investigation into his disappearances heads into an eighth year.

Cambridge-Greenwich Police Chief George Bell said officers from his department and the State Police last month searched the property on Raven Way in the town of Greenwich where Rainwalker lived with his adopted parents and siblings before he disappeared.

Police dogs trained to find cadavers were used to search the property, which has a new owner who Bell said consented to the search.

“It was something we had done before, but we just wanted to check again,” he said.

Rainwalker, then 12, disappeared Nov. 1, 2007, from a home owned by his adopted father’s family in the village of Greenwich.

Stephen Kerr, the adopted father, was the last person known to be with him. Kerr reported that he awoke that morning and the boy was gone. Rainwalker had been having behavioral problems in the weeks before his disappearance, and had been in a respite home in the days before Kerr brought him back to Greenwich.

Police have labeled Kerr a “person of interest,” saying he was not forthcoming abut his activities and there were inconsistencies in his versions of events.

Because of the circumstances, police in 2012 changed the classification of the case from a missing person case to homicide. No charges have been filed, however.

Police also continue to receive tips about potential sightings of Rainwalker, Bell said.

A Kingsbury resident who was in Kingston in Ulster County reported seeing a young man she believed to be him in recent weeks, but State Police investigated the tip and determined it was not Rainwalker.

Jaliek’s adopted grandmother, Barbara Reeley, said she was contacted earlier this year by a young man from Rochester who had been communicating with a person he thought could be Rainwalker through an online video gaming system, but the FBI looked into it and concluded the person was not him.

She said she was present for the Raven Way searches, and was gratified that police continue to follow up on leads that come in.

Bell said he hopes to meet with Washington County District Attorney Tony Jordan in the coming weeks to discuss the case.

Jordan took office Jan. 1 and his predecessor, Kevin Kortright, last year said the seven-year anniversary of the disappearance could mark a threshold where a homicide prosecution could be pursued.

Kerr initially cooperated with police. But within days of Rainwalker’s disappearance, he refused to take a polygraph test, retained a lawyer and has not consented to further questioning. He and his wife, Jocelyn McDonald, moved to West Rupert, Vt., months after Rainwalker disappeared.

Kerr’s lawyer, Jeff McMorris, said his client has not reported any new developments in the search.

McMorris pointed to a number of cases across the country in recent years where children disappeared and were believed dead but eventually re-appeared.

“Their (Kerr and his wife’s) opinion hasn’t changed. He is going to show up someday,” McMorris said.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »

COULD IT BE???? Skull found by hiker in Coxsackie belongs to boy between 10 and 13 years old
http://news10.com/2017/03/06/dec-skull-found-by-hiker-in-coxsackie-belongs-to-boy-between-10-and-13-years-old/

posted March 6, 2017, 4:31 pm
COXSACKIE, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The New York DEC says a skull found in the Vosburgh Swamp Wildlife Management area off Four Mile Point Road belongs to a male between the ages of 10 to 13.

More definitive testing is needed to provide a more accurate estimate of the person’s age.

The DEC says an anthropologist looked at the photo of the skull and made that assessment.

On February 26 at around 6:30 p.m., police were alerted by a hiker of a skull partially buried in a wooded area.

On Monday, February 27, 12 State Troopers, two State Police K-9 units, four Greene County Sheriff Deputies, five DEC Environmental Conservation Officers, and two Forest Rangers grid searched the area around the location of the skull to look for additional bones and/or evidence related to the skull.

Following the search, the DEC says an assortment of items was tested, including pieces of clothing that accumulated in the tidal area around the skull.

*****COXSACKIE, N.Y. is apx. 76 miles South of Greenwich/Cambridge area in NY apx. 1+1/2 hour highway drive.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »

Thanks Nut44x4!   

Good thinking!   
I'd read about this find earlier, but hadn't thought about this possible connection.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #336 on: March 09, 2017, 06:21:35 AM »

http://www.timesunion.com/7dayarchive/article/Jaliek-Rainwater-s-DNA-probed-in-human-skull-10982715.php

Chief: Skull's discovery stirs hope for break in Jaliek Rainwalker disappearance
12-year-old's DNA probed in human skull discovery in Coxsackie
Emily Masters Updated 3:03 pm, Tuesday, March 7, 2017

George Bell has gotten countless phone calls over the last decade about the disappearance of 12-year-old Jaliek Rainwalker but, until last week, no caller had reported the discovery of a young boy's remains.

When a hiker spotted a skull, partially buried in state wetlands along the Hudson River in Greene County, on Feb. 26, State Police investigators immediately called Bell, the Greenwich-Cambridge police chief, with the news. On Monday, state conservation officials said an examination revealed the skull likely came from a boy between the age 10 and 13.

"I have mixed emotions. If you look outside the box, it all fits," Bell said Tuesday. "But I don't want to draw false conclusions or give false hope."
Bell said investigators told him the remains washed up 5 to 10 years ago into the Vosburgh Swamp in Coxsackie.

Rainwalker vanished from his adoptive parents' Washington County home in November 2007. Police believe foul play was involved and have scrutinized his adoptive father but no one was ever charged in his disappearance.

Bell, who leads the 10-year-old homicide investigation, said Tuesday that there is no evidence so far that indicates the skull is Rainwalker's.

"We don't know a lot," Bell said, adding he was surprised by the Department of Environmental Conservation's disclosure of the age range of the skull. "I don't have that information."

A forensic anthropologist examined a photograph of the skull before making the age and gender determination, the DEC said Monday. Additional definitive testing will provide a more precise estimation on when the person died.

Next, forensic examiners will grind the bone and extract whatever marrow is left, Bell said. DNA results could take two weeks, the chief said.

Bell said he hopes the evidence matches Rainwalker's DNA and finally provides closure but he admitted it would be a long shot.

"We're not holding out hope in terms of DNA at this point," Bell said. He also noted the skull could belong to any of a number of missing people.

"There are so many possibilities," he said.

Bell elevated the Rainwalker investigation from a missing person search to a homicide case in 2012. The chief has long complained that the boy's adoptive father, Stephen Kerr, won't cooperate with investigators.

Rainwalker was last seen Nov. 1, 2007, before spending the night with Kerr at a relative's unoccupied home in Greenwich. Kerr said that when he woke up, Jaliek was gone.

In 2012, State Police cadaver dogs searched a Troy property, while divers probed the Hudson River between Troy and Watervliet. Both teams found nothing, although investigators have theorized Rainwalker's body was dropped in the Hudson.

On Feb. 27, one day after a hiker found the unidentified skull in Coxsackie, State Police, Greene County sheriff's deputies and DEC personnel searched the Wildlife Management Area off Four Mile Point Road for clues.

The skull was partially buried in a wooded area, not fully intact and had signs of extreme exposure to the elements, the DEC said. Various items, including clothing, had accumulated in the tidal area around the skull and will be tested, the state agency said.

At the time, sheriff's Lt. Adam Brainard said the remains of people who jumped off Albany and Troy bridges into the Hudson have washed up on shore in this Greene County wetland area before. Police have not yet determined if this is the case in the latest discovery, Brainard said.

The wetland path where the unidentified young person's skull was found, part of the state Department of Environmental Conservation network of protected areas, is at the end of Four Mile Point Road and runs along the Hudson River.

Vosburgh Swamp is about 35 miles south of Troy.

Anyone with information is asked to call the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigations in Catskill at 622-8600.

Jaliek Rainwalker (Kerr family photo)
IMAGE 1 OF 8 Jaliek Rainwalker (Kerr family photo)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:28:46 AM by texasmom » Logged

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #337 on: March 09, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »

http://poststar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/jaliek-s-grandmother-visits-recovery-location-hopes-for-closure/article_a1d5cdbd-0e69-5bea-8e25-ea44013b0251.html

Jaliek's grandmother visits recovery location, hopes for closure
DON LEHMAN dlehman@poststar.com  Mar 7, 2017 

For 9 1/2 years, Barbara Reeley has yearned to know what happened to her adopted grandson, Jaliek Rainwalker.

She has had her suspicions, but like the police investigators who have worked for nearly a decade to determine the boy’s fate, Reeley has waited for a break that would lead to some conclusions as to what became of the boy from Greenwich who was 12 when he disappeared.

Reeley said she hopes that break came in recent days with the recovery of part of a human skull near the Hudson River south of Albany. Reeley visited the area on Tuesday, reaching out to police and prosecutors there to see if she can be of assistance with details such as identifying clothes that were found.

“I just wanted to touch base with them,” she said. “I’m hoping. I just want the investigators to know I’m available if they need information.”

As police looked into what seemed to be their best lead in years to potentially solve Jaliek’s disappearance, Reeley felt that she had to drive from her home in Troy to the remote part of eastern Greene County where part of a young boy’s skull was found last week.

A hiker found the piece of bone Feb. 26 on state land in Coxsackie known as Vosburgh Swamp, near the Hudson River. A search of the area for other bones or evidence did not yield anything that was definitively linked, but clothes were recovered in the area.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation told police Monday that a recent anthropological analysis of the piece of skull led to the conclusion that it was that of a boy between the ages of 10 and 13, and had been in the elements for five to 10 years. State Police were still reviewing the evidence that was recovered as well.

Jaliek disappeared in November 2007. His home was blocks from the Batten Kill, which feeds the Hudson River. Evidence that police developed during the case led them to search the Hudson River in Washington and Rensselaer counties dozens of times, to no avail.

Police are analyzing the bone to see if any DNA can be recovered to compare to a sample of Jaliek’s they have held onto since 2007.

Washington County District Attorney Tony Jordan said he has been monitoring the developments in recent days, and Bell has been keeping him apprised.

Police have concluded Jaliek was likely killed and have labeled his adoptive father, Stephen Kerr, as a “person of interest.” He was the last person known to be with the boy in his parents’ then-home on Hill Street in Greenwich in the hours before he was reported missing.

Kerr has maintained he did not hurt Jaliek.

Reeley is the mother of Jocelyn McDonald, Kerr’s wife. She has not had any communication with her daughter or son-in-law since the weeks after Jaliek disappeared.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #338 on: March 09, 2017, 06:44:21 AM »

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/capital-region/news/2017/03/7/as-discovered-skull-investigated-local-woman-hopes-for-answers.html

As Discovered Skull Investigated, Local Woman Hopes for Answers
By Katie Eastman
Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 05:13 PM EST

"This is probably as hopeful as I've been in nine years," said Barbara Reeley.

Each time Reeley hears about a missing person, she wonders if it's her 12-year-old grandson who went missing more than nine years ago. Jaliek Rainwalker disappeared from his Washington County home in 2007. The case was investigated first as a missing person and then as a homicide, although his body was never found. His stepfather was looked at as a person of interest, but never arrested.

On February 26, a hiker came across a partially buried skull in Coxsackie. Investigators have not been able to find an exact identity, but Reeley is willing to hope once again.

"Dread, fear and also hope," she said. "As strange as it sounds, it's better to know than not know, and for 9 years, 4 months, and 6 days, I haven't known."

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #339 on: March 10, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »

Thanks Nut44x4!   

Good thinking!   
I'd read about this find earlier, but hadn't thought about this possible connection.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.