March 29, 2024, 08:37:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebecca Nalepa Zahau Found Hanging, Bound Mansion of Jonah Shacknai (Suicide)  (Read 228562 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #460 on: April 08, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »

Jury finds Adam Shacknai responsible for Rebecca Zahau’s death
 UPDATED AT 12:47PM, APRIL 4, 2018

SAN DIEGO -- A San Diego jury Wednesday awarded more than $5 million in damages to the family of a woman who authorities said committed suicide by hanging herself at a Coronado mansion in 2011, determining that the brother of the woman's boyfriend was liable for her death.

Rebecca Zahau, 32, was found dead the day after her boyfriend Jonah Shacknai's 6-year-old son, Max Schacknai, fell from a second-story landing at the mansion. The boy died five days later.

Full Coverage of Rebecca Zahau wrongful death case

Zahau's mother and older sister filed the wrongful death lawsuit against Adam Shacknai, the brother of Jonah Shacknai, alleging the defendant confronted Zahau the day after Max fell.

Adam Shacknai's attorney, Dan Webb, countered that there was no evidence that his client -- who has lived and worked in Memphis for 30 years -- had anything to do with Zahau's death. Adam Shacknai said Zahau encouraged him to come to San Diego to support his brother at his time of need.

Jonah Shacknai testified during the monthlong trial that it is "inconceivable" that his younger brother had anything to do with Zahau's death.

Jonah Shacknai testified that he was at Rady Children's Hospital visiting Max the morning of July 13, 2011, when he got a text from Adam asking him to call back.

"He asked me if I was sitting down and he told me Rebecca had taken her life," Jonah Shacknai testified. "I was speechless."

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/04/04/jury-reaches-verdict-in-rebecca-zahau-wrong-death-case/

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »

Should this be moved to solved even though it was Civil Case?

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #462 on: April 13, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »

Should this be moved to solved even though it was Civil Case?

Just my opinion, but I don't consider the case "solved".  If you go to the link below, there is more information regarding the differences between a criminal case and a civil case.  I snipped a bit out of the article, but I find reading the whole thing provides more understanding.  Sadly, sometimes winning a civil suit is the only justice there may be for victims and/or their families.  Thinking of the OJ Simpson Case, and the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.

https://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/the-differences-between-a-criminal-case-and-a-civil-case.html
The Differences between a Criminal Case and a Civil Case

The standard of proof is also very different in a criminal case versus a civil case. Crimes must generally be proved "beyond a reasonable doubt", whereas civil cases are proved by lower standards of proof such as "the preponderance of the evidence" (which essentially means that it was more likely than not that something occurred in a certain way). The difference in standards exists because civil liability is considered less blameworthy and because the punishments are less severe. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #463 on: April 20, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »

True.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.