April 28, 2024, 07:33:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #9 11/19 - 1/23/2008  (Read 221337 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #560 on: December 29, 2007, 12:04:18 PM »

Red, I did read this on the front page.  I am not going to comment on it there, but we certainly do not have "good role models" for our children.  I can't say it is any worse than 50 - 60 years ago.  We just have a much more efficient mode of communication these days.   I certainly feel that this is a terrible example to be set by a parent.

Now I do not know much about Billy Ray Cyrus or his daughter.  I did see an interview with him as he spoke about the ticket problem that exists with his daughter's concerts.  I doubt I will be much of a fan of him after hearing his cope out answer.  Of course, he can have influence on how tickets are distributed.  Of course, Disney can control it.  I strongly suspect that they allow ticket brokers to buy up thousands of tickets before they go on sale to the public or be first in line.  I also suspect that Billy Ray and or Disney get a percentage of the increased prices that are then charged.

This is an artificially created supply and demand and it is what we are all about in America right now.  We do it with oil products, we do it with food commodities so why not entertainment.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #561 on: December 29, 2007, 02:14:38 PM »

Red, I did read this on the front page.  I am not going to comment on it there, but we certainly do not have "good role models" for our children.  I can't say it is any worse than 50 - 60 years ago.  We just have a much more efficient mode of communication these days.   I certainly feel that this is a terrible example to be set by a parent.

Now I do not know much about Billy Ray Cyrus or his daughter.  I did see an interview with him as he spoke about the ticket problem that exists with his daughter's concerts.  I doubt I will be much of a fan of him after hearing his cope out answer.  Of course, he can have influence on how tickets are distributed.  Of course, Disney can control it.  I strongly suspect that they allow ticket brokers to buy up thousands of tickets before they go on sale to the public or be first in line.  I also suspect that Billy Ray and or Disney get a percentage of the increased prices that are then charged.

This is an artificially created supply and demand and it is what we are all about in America right now.  We do it with oil products, we do it with food commodities so why not entertainment.

One really has to wonder Great Owl how we can have role models for our kids when we have parents that think its ok to lie and say a 6 yo's dad died in Iraq to win a stupid contest.

That is just unreal to me.

Using real hero's and the blood they spilled for concert tickets. Could this mother have trivialized our fallen hero's anymore. GEEZ!
sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #562 on: December 29, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »

Hannah Montana 6 Year Old & Mother Concert Essay Winner A Fake … “My daddy died this year in Iraq.”

This is just a truly unbelievably pathetic story and shows just how far we have sunk as a society in the efforts to idolize celebrities.

Using real hero's in order to see a stupid celebrity.

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2007/12/29/hannah-montana-6-year-old-mother-concert-essay-winner-a-fake-my-daddy-died-this-year-in-iraq/

Is nothing sacred? Is this how we honor our fallen brave military? With a fake essay on how a little 6 year old girls daddy died in Iraq. So this is what our society has become and parents deem okay to teach their children to lie to get what ever they want at all cost. Brave men and women in our Armed Forces die every day in Iraq to provide security for the United States and quell terrorism over there so we do not have to experience it here.

Club Libby Lu withdraws prize from girl whose essay falsely claimed father died in Iraq
The Associated PressPublished: December 29, 2007

GARLAND, Texas: A 6-year-old girl who won four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert with an essay falsely claiming her father died in Iraq isn't going to the show after all.

The contest's sponsor, a store chain named Club Libby Lu, withdrew the prize Saturday and awarded it to another contestant. It didn't identify the new winner.

"With this decision, we hope to revive the intended spirit of the contest, which was designed to make a little girl's holidays extra special," Club Libby Lu chief executive Mary Drolet said in a statement Saturday.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/12/29/arts/Fake-Essay.php

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #563 on: December 29, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »

It's really crummy the fake essay was written and the prize won by liars that would say/do anything to win.    I had read earlier the company was "considering" withdrawing the prize from those that won with the fake essay.   I'm happy to see the prize was in fact  withdrawn and awarded to another contestant.  It makes me wonder now if the original winners/liars will try to have some sort of legal course against the company since it took back the tickets?  I hope the company had something written in that protects them. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #564 on: December 29, 2007, 09:41:57 PM »

It really makes me wonder about where we are headed as a country when someone would stoop to this level for concert tickets.  A concert, while fun is not a life changing event.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #565 on: December 29, 2007, 11:24:25 PM »

Thanfully the Patriots just won... there'd be no living with RED otherwise... Rolling Eyes Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #566 on: December 30, 2007, 01:40:33 AM »

Thanfully the Patriots just won... there'd be no living with RED otherwise... Rolling Eyes Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing I'm glad they won too!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #567 on: December 30, 2007, 08:34:04 AM »

NYC Lover,

My family comes form the Egmund en Zee region of The Netherlands.  I have only seen it on the internet as my evil ex-husband scheduled two trips to Europe but mostly in Spain and Italy because he could speak the language . I was only in Amsterdam and never got to go there.

Do you know this area?  I understand it is very cold most of the time.

Anna - wow this is an amazing! Your family is come from Egmond aan Zee. That is a beach place in Noord-Holland, (North Holland) and yes, I know this place very good. Yes, it is cold most in this time. In the summer really not. Egmond aan Zee is a beach place and many go there in the summer, of course when it is good beach weather.

I never been to Spain or Italy. I ever want skiing in the Dolomieten in Italy.

Cool, u ever was in Amsterdam. How long u where stay there? I understand u want a time go to Egmond. When u go, let me know. Because I can tell there is a good hotel in Egmond aan Zee boulevard. That is 1 a 2 minutes walk to the beach. There also is a lighthouse. Do u ever see that? And when u want to know more, Klaasend has my email.

Yes, I would like to also see the old castle ruins there.  I understand from my cousin who has been there that is just a pile of rocks now but would still like to see where it was.  Also that it is just about too cold to go there except in summer when it is still cold by Alabama standards, haha. 

I have asked Klaas for your email address so will email you when I get it.  My oldest son has promised me a trip there some day so we shall see if he keeps his promise or is all talk.

My grandparents even though their ancestors had been in this country many generations could still speak Dutch to each other so us kids couldn't understand what they were saying sometimes.  I do understand a little bit when I hear it but can not read it at all.  If I read it out loud phonetically I can understand a little bit some times.

There is another town south of there that also bears the name, has a word that starts with the letter "B" but I can't think of it right now.  Been a while since I looked at old records of genealogy.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
NYC_lover
Monkey Junky Jr.

The Mercedes GL

« Reply #568 on: December 30, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »

Yes, I would like to also see the old castle ruins there.  I understand from my cousin who has been there that is just a pile of rocks now but would still like to see where it was.  Also that it is just about too cold to go there except in summer when it is still cold by Alabama standards, haha. 

I have asked Klaas for your email address so will email you when I get it.  My oldest son has promised me a trip there some day so we shall see if he keeps his promise or is all talk.

My grandparents even though their ancestors had been in this country many generations could still speak Dutch to each other so us kids couldn't understand what they were saying sometimes.  I do understand a little bit when I hear it but can not read it at all.  If I read it out loud phonetically I can understand a little bit some times.

There is another town south of there that also bears the name, has a word that starts with the letter "B" but I can't think of it right now.  Been a while since I looked at old records of genealogy.

Ok. I hope your cousin had a nice time here. Well it is all time nice when somebody else paid for a trip.  Wink
But I am sure around May, June, July and August is the best travel time to visit the Netherlands. Is Alabama cold the summer? I don't believe it.  Wink

Oh yeah.... don't become in shock when you walk in the summer at the Dutch beach(es) because females can walk topless, when she want. You don't get an arrest, only when you have walked naked or have sex in the dunes, look like what Guido this lawyer has done.

When I have your email get from Klaasend or yours from me. We can talking about many things about the Netherlands and u can ask what u want to know.

Dutch is not easy to speak and sure it to writing. With all the word in the executed time and to writing t, d, dd, and dt. And it really is to funny when I heard an American talking Dutch.

Another town south of Egmond aan Zee can be, Beverwijk, Bloemendaal, Bloemendaal aan Zee or another place in North Holland, when it lies in North Holland.

I am glad hear this media attention from the Netherlands. ‘Recherche verdraait informatie te vaak’
Investigators in a black breach and again a bad name of the Dutch police. It smells again to Corrpution and a negative researching in missing persons cases
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #569 on: December 30, 2007, 11:56:59 AM »

Klaas....could you please put me back to my regular me, please! TIA
ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #570 on: December 31, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »

Klaas and CBB you are so darned good!! Was going to ask if you would change me to Buckeye gear, I looked up and it was done!!! Wow!!! ask and you shall receive!!! lol
GO BUCKEYES!!!

"No justice for Natalee - No tourists for Aruba!"
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #571 on: December 31, 2007, 10:10:19 AM »

Is anyone getting their Hoppin John ready to eat for the New Year?

Hoppin' John Recipe

2 cups dried black-eyed peas
Cold water
1 pound lean slab bacon or 1 pound meaty ham hocks
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups water or chicken broth
2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Before preparing dried beans, sort through them thoroughly for tiny pebbles or other debris. Soak, rinse, and drain dried black-eyed peas. Place black-eyed peas in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 2 hours. Drain and rinse beans.

Using the same large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add soaked black-eyed peas, bacon or ham hock, onion, and red pepper. Add water or chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the peas are tender (do not boil as the beans will burst).

Remove bacon or ham hock and cut into bite-size pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in rice, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 8 servings.
--------------------------------------------------------
  Hoppin' John History

Hoppin' John is found in most states of the South, but it is mainly associated with the Carolinas. Gullah or Low Country cuisine reflects the cooking of the Carolinas, especially the Sea islands (a cluster of islands stretching along the coats of south Carolina and northern Georgia). Black-eyed peas, also called cow peas, are thought to have been introduced to America by African slaves who worked the rice plantations. Hoppin' John is a rich bean dish made of black-eyed peas simmered with spicy sausages, ham hocks, or fat pork, rice, and tomato sauce.

This African-American dish is traditionally a high point of New Year's Day, when a shiny dime is often buried among the black-eyed peas before serving. whoever get the coin in his or her portion is assured good luck throughout the year. For maximum good luck in the new year, the first thing that should be eaten on New year's Day is Hoppin' John. At the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, many southern families toast each other with Champagne and a bowl of Hoppin' John. If it is served with collard greens you might, or might not, get rich during the coming year.

There are many variations to traditional Hoppin' John. Some cook the peas and rice in one pot, while others insist on simmering them separately.

Most food historians generally agree that "Hopping John" is an American dish with African/French/Caribbean roots. There are many tales or legends that explain how Hoppin' John got its name:

It was the custom for children to gather in the dining room as the dish was brought forth and h op around the table before sitting down to eat.

A man named John came "a-hoppin" when his wife took the dish from the stove.

An obscure South Carolina custom was inviting a guest to eat by saying, "Hop in, John"

The dish goes back at least as far as 1841, when, according to tradition, it was hawked in the streets of Charleston, South Carolina by a crippled black man who was know as Hoppin' John.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HoppinJohn.htm

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #572 on: December 31, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »

Is anyone getting their Hoppin John ready to eat for the New Year?

Hoppin' John Recipe

2 cups dried black-eyed peas
Cold water
1 pound lean slab bacon or 1 pound meaty ham hocks
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups water or chicken broth
2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Before preparing dried beans, sort through them thoroughly for tiny pebbles or other debris. Soak, rinse, and drain dried black-eyed peas. Place black-eyed peas in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 2 hours. Drain and rinse beans.

Using the same large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add soaked black-eyed peas, bacon or ham hock, onion, and red pepper. Add water or chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the peas are tender (do not boil as the beans will burst).

Remove bacon or ham hock and cut into bite-size pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in rice, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 8 servings.
--------------------------------------------------------
  Hoppin' John History

Hoppin' John is found in most states of the South, but it is mainly associated with the Carolinas. Gullah or Low Country cuisine reflects the cooking of the Carolinas, especially the Sea islands (a cluster of islands stretching along the coats of south Carolina and northern Georgia). Black-eyed peas, also called cow peas, are thought to have been introduced to America by African slaves who worked the rice plantations. Hoppin' John is a rich bean dish made of black-eyed peas simmered with spicy sausages, ham hocks, or fat pork, rice, and tomato sauce.

This African-American dish is traditionally a high point of New Year's Day, when a shiny dime is often buried among the black-eyed peas before serving. whoever get the coin in his or her portion is assured good luck throughout the year. For maximum good luck in the new year, the first thing that should be eaten on New year's Day is Hoppin' John. At the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, many southern families toast each other with Champagne and a bowl of Hoppin' John. If it is served with collard greens you might, or might not, get rich during the coming year.

There are many variations to traditional Hoppin' John. Some cook the peas and rice in one pot, while others insist on simmering them separately.

Most food historians generally agree that "Hopping John" is an American dish with African/French/Caribbean roots. There are many tales or legends that explain how Hoppin' John got its name:

It was the custom for children to gather in the dining room as the dish was brought forth and h op around the table before sitting down to eat.

A man named John came "a-hoppin" when his wife took the dish from the stove.

An obscure South Carolina custom was inviting a guest to eat by saying, "Hop in, John"

The dish goes back at least as far as 1841, when, according to tradition, it was hawked in the streets of Charleston, South Carolina by a crippled black man who was know as Hoppin' John.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HoppinJohn.htm

Yes, I got my ingredients yesterday.  We are having Hoppin' Johns.  It is offered on the menu in several of the upscale restaurants in Charleston as are collards.  Collards are often a substitute for a salad and grits a substitute for baked potatoes, or actually first choice and our customary salad and potato are secondary choice with meat, whether it is seafood or landlubber food.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #573 on: December 31, 2007, 03:08:58 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319250,00.html

The Unsolved Criminal Mysteries of 2007
Monday , December 31, 2007

Law-enforcement officials will have their hands full in 2008 trying to wrap up cases that left them stymied in 2007.

In Chicago, the search continues for two women missing from their suburban homes. Stacy Peterson, a 23-year-old mother of two from Bolingbrook, Ill., was reported missing on Oct. 29. Officials have named her husband, former police sergeant Drew Peterson, as a suspect.

Lisa Stebic, of Plainfield, Ill., disappeared on April 30. Her husband, Craig, has been named a person of interest in the case. He said he was working in the backyard and their two kids were out when Stebic vanished.

In Colorado, police have identified a suspect in the disappearance of an escort in Grand Junction. Lester Ralph Jones, an employee at an RV dealership, was named in connection with the disappearance of Paige Birgfeld, a 34-year-old mom of three. Birgfeld was reported missing on June 30. Authorities discovered her car burned a day later. Foul play is suspected.

The search continues for Kyle Fleischmann, a 24-year-old man from Charlotte, N.C., last seen leaving a bar on Nov. 9, as well as for Kara Kopetsky, a 17-year-old student from Belton, Mo., last seen at her high school on May 2.

Authorities in California have spent half a year searching for a 19-year-old college student last seen heading to a party at a convicted sex offender's house in West Los Angeles. Donna Jou, of Rancho Santa Margarita, disappeared June 23 when she left to attend a party at the rented home of John Steven Burgess, 35. He was arrested in July on a crack cocaine charge and has been named a suspect in Jou's disappearance.

In Baton Rouge, officials are looking for the killers of two graduate students from India shot execution style in an apparent home invasion on the Louisiana State University campus. Chandrasekhar Reddy Komma and Kiran Kumar Allam were killed on Dec. 13 in university housing. Police are searching for up to four black men believed to have traveled in a light-colored Oldsmobile Alero.

Internationally, though Aruban officials have closed their investigation into the disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway, her family continues to speak out on behalf of the girl, who vanished on May 30, 2005. Her mother is considering appealing the Aruban prosecutor's decision to close the case.

And the mystery of missing toddler Madeleine McCann only deepens as police across Europe hunt for the girl, who disappeared in Portugal on May 3 while on vacation with her parents.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #574 on: December 31, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »

Klaas, would you please put my lil monkey back for me minus the holly and bell? I have forgotten my photobucket password. It would be much appreciated, when you have the time. Thanks~

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #575 on: December 31, 2007, 06:24:22 PM »

Happy New Year everyone!! I hope 2008 is a Healthy and Happy Year for everyone here at SM. I truly hope the Family's of the missing get answers in the new year. Thoughts and Prayers are with you Pita,Peaches,Natalee,Clinton and April..

http://llerrah.com/newyearwishes.htm

http://web.icq.com/friendship/swf/0,,16961_rs,00.swf

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #576 on: December 31, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »

Happy New Year everyone!! I hope 2008 is a Healthy and Happy Year for everyone here at SM. I truly hope the Family's of the missing get answers in the new year. Thoughts and Prayers are with you Pita,Peaches,Natalee,Clinton and April..

http://llerrah.com/newyearwishes.htm

http://web.icq.com/friendship/swf/0,,16961_rs,00.swf

Happy New Year to you Obs and to all! 

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #577 on: December 31, 2007, 07:09:20 PM »

Happy New Years Monkeys...

may 2008 bring us all the best year ever... and the least of the years to come!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #578 on: December 31, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »

Dec. 31: Fireworks illuminate the ancient Parthenon atop the Acropolis Hill in Athens, Greece.

Red Square, Moscow

South Korea

Sydney, Australia

Hong Kong

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #579 on: December 31, 2007, 09:00:27 PM »

Those are beautiful pictures Klaas.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.