April 27, 2024, 01:32:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #9 11/19 - 1/23/2008  (Read 221292 times)
ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #720 on: January 05, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »

Whew!  I have had one heck of a day. To preface from my weird question yesterday about the premonition.  Sorry I didn't get back last night, but that is a different story all together...I think.

Yesterday morning at 5:20 AM I woke up from a sound sleep.  I was actually dreaming a very pleasant dream, but as Tylergal said...maybe I shouldn't tell it so I will continue. My daughter's new cat was scheduled to be neutered yesterday at the vet.  She had been gone most of the week and I was cat sitting for her.  I was to take Miley to the vet and she would swing by that afternoon and pick him up and they would head home and be happy for the night. But something woke me up at 5:20 in the morning and this voice...not a real one that you could hear, but something said to me, "You can't take that  cat to the vet.  If something happened to that cat daughter would never forgive you."  Now, I have had many cats and dogs and always used this vet.  That is why she insisted he go there.  After this rude awakening, I thought to my self, you are nuts!  Go back to bed and get some sleep before you have to take the cat.  Not to happen...I lay back down, still planning to take the cat, when suddenly I became sick to my stomach.  I had to get up and thought I really was sick.  As sick as I felt I had this unexplainable feeling wash over me that said again..."Do not get in the car with that cat. If you do and something happens to him daughter will never forgive you."  I felt awful, I thought this is crazy, but I was beginning to wonder.  This feeling was so intense that I could not shake it.  I was awake for over an hour...sick at my stomach and worrying about the cat. I even looked in on him and he was sleeping soundly. Well, needless to say I got the message...I decided around 7 AM to just reschedule and as soon as I made up my mind the nausea left me.  Yes, I know, now go ahead and laugh but I swear that was the most intense feeling I have ever had like that.  I called the vet and canceled the appointment.  I just felt that I could not take the chance.  That cat is my daughter's baby and she would be devastated if something had happened.  I even went back to sleep after that and felt no effects when I woke up a few hours later.  So there is my story and it's true...believe it or not...it is fact.

One thing left to tell...my daughter called about 9:30 and I told her I didn't take the cat and she said, "Oh thank goodness, I woke up this morning about 5 and was so sick I couldn't stand it.  All I could think about was something was going to happen to my cat.  I should be the one to take him.  I was calling as soon as I could because I felt so strongly about this."

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Weird!

Lala's, a premonition I had once was about a friend whose mother was somewhat mentally ill but we did not think she was that bad. Her husband had been killed in a helicopter crash (a pilot)  and she had the 5 children to raise alone. One was my friend, a tennager but the others were younger because they had been physically separated since he was military, but the other 4 were like doorsteps.   

I was sitting in the car with my friend in the backseat.  My mother stopped suddenly for a car that pulled out in front of her.  At that moment, I saw the other children's faces (4) in the windshield like shrunken heads and their mother (my friend was the oldest, we were about 15-16).  It was rainy and foggy and I thought it was just the illusion of rain and water, fog, etc and I did not mention it. 

Then a minute or so later, I turned to my right and there were their heads again in that window, little faces crying like little shrunken heads (all 4 of the ones at home) and their mother's face blank and staring with eyes straight ahead.  I tried to ignore it and I turned back and started talking to my friend. 

Then my mother stopped the car at an intersection and said, "Look there's "so and so," (I cant remember but some friend of ours).  I could not see so and so but I saw the heads of my friend's siblings in the window with her mother looking lifeless and they would not go away. I turned my face from the window and closed my eyes and could still see them and could hear small children crying.

I was shaken by that all afternoon but chose not to tell it for fear of being thought weird.  Around nightfall, police officers came to our house to get my friend who was spending the weekend with me.  They told my mother that she had killed all the children by drowning them and had hung herself.  They had found her in the bathroom hanging by the tub where she drowned the children.  They thought she hung them about 11:00 and it was 10:30 when we had left home and probably between 11:00 and 11:30 when I saw those faces in the windows. 

I have had some other situations like that but this was the worst because children were involved. 

I have also had situations like yours when I asked my children not to do something because I had a bad feeling.  One was about 2 years ago when my #3 son was going to see his childhood friend in Florida (friend is an attorney there).  I did not know he was going to see him, had no reason to know.  After all, he is a grown married man.  I had a dream that he went to see him and they were in an alley going to their car after going out that night and were shot in that alley, the 2 of them.

I just felt so bad all day that I wanted to call and talk to him.  About 2 minutes into our conversation he said, "I am going to Florida tonight to see XXXX."  My heart sank, as I had no idea.  So then I told him I needed to tell him something.

He did not want me to worry about it, and thought it was just coincidence that I had dreamed that he was going to Florida.

A few minutes later, his wife called me and asked me to please beg him not to go because she had had a bad dream about him going that something would happen to him if he went (but her fear since she had no other inkling was a wreck).  While we were on the phone, a mutual friend of hers and my son dropped by to visit them and she hung up.

Then she called me later to tell me that this friend (a male friend) had come by to see my son to warn him not to go on any trips in the near future because he had dreamed the night before that my son would go on a trip and be killed by someone who was robbing him and some friends, who he did not know but he had dreamed it.

Needless to say, he canceled the trip.  I just think that was too coincidental that three people in three different places of different relationships to him dreamed similar or same dreams. 

that is just so eery Tyler!!! I learned a long time ago...trust your gut!!!

"No justice for Natalee - No tourists for Aruba!"
friend of monkeys
Monkey Junky

« Reply #721 on: January 05, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »

Yep......

woke up this am and had client call at 7 am for a massage.
Thought he was gonna be weird and ask for a happy ending.

Yep.

Wack job.

We have done this like 20 times before and never before did anything bad happen....JORAN
friend of monkeys
Monkey Junky

« Reply #722 on: January 05, 2008, 12:57:44 PM »

oops...just concurring with the current musing..

TRUST YOUR GUT.

Happy New Year MONKEYS

FOM

We have done this like 20 times before and never before did anything bad happen....JORAN
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #723 on: January 05, 2008, 02:20:05 PM »

oops...just concurring with the current musing..

TRUST YOUR GUT.

Happy New Year MONKEYS

FOM

Hi FOM     Happy New Year to you too!  Glad you could drop by.  You be careful around those crazy people, okay?  And go with your gut feeling. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #724 on: January 05, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »

Hope all our California monkeys are safe.  Klaas, is this storm affecting you? I can't remember a storm like this hitting California before.

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #725 on: January 05, 2008, 02:38:11 PM »

I haven't been here much lately. When they let those scum bags out of jail,again, I had to walk away for a while. That is what my bat is for. I dare anyone to say anything good about Aruba.
I do have a bat sitting by my back door, and if I am out anywhere I have my cane. So, if you read about a greatgrandmother from Virginia clobbering someone with a cane you will know what it is about.

2 4 1
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #726 on: January 05, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »

I haven't been here much lately. When they let those scum bags out of jail,again, I had to walk away for a while. That is what my bat is for. I dare anyone to say anything good about Aruba.
I do have a bat sitting by my back door, and if I am out anywhere I have my cane. So, if you read about a greatgrandmother from Virginia clobbering someone with a cane you will know what it is about.

Get that bat before it gets you, many have rabies.  Let him go to Revlon or Estee Lauder for face powder.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #727 on: January 05, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »

Shoot I did not copy the post I wanted to reply to. It was someone having trouble with their computer files.

I recommend a site known as Pitstop.com I did not bring a link with me. They will do a scan on your computer and even tell you how to fix it if it is fixable.

Oops I went and got the link.

http://pcpitstop.com/

Just a swinging with the tribe
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #728 on: January 05, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »

MUM IN OHIO

Just trying to get your attention.  Laughing
Try this link:

http://pcpitstop.com/

Just a swinging with the tribe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #729 on: January 05, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »

Hope all our California monkeys are safe.  Klaas, is this storm affecting you? I can't remember a storm like this hitting California before.

Hi SuzieQ - we are fine down here where I live.  It was rainy and windy last night but that's about all.  I did hear there were some evactuations in some of the burn areas in Southern California.

Guess we should be getting more rain later tonight then another storm after that.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #730 on: January 05, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »

Hey, Klaas, I know you are very busy with work, but your cage is still in 2007....or maybe 2005.. Wink  You can't claim work now for 2007, though... Rolling Eyes Laughing

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #731 on: January 05, 2008, 11:36:10 PM »

Shocked Shocked
Study: Monkeys 'pay' for sex by grooming
In the primate world, sex is subject to the law of supply and demand
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22516331/
By Gillian Wong
updated 12:03 p.m. CT, Sat., Jan. 5, 2008

SINGAPORE - Male macaque monkeys pay for sex by grooming females, according to a recent study that suggests the primates may treat sex as a commodity.

"In primate societies, grooming is the underlying fabric of it all," Dr. Michael Gumert, a primatologist at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, said in a telephone interview Saturday.

"It's a sign of friendship and family, and it's also something that can be exchanged for sexual services," Gumert said.
Gumert's findings, reported in New Scientist last week, resulted from a 20-month observation of about 50 long-tailed macaques in a reserve in Central Kalimantan, Indonesia.

Gumert found after a male grooms a female, the likelihood that she will engage in sexual activity with the male was about three times more than if the grooming had not occurred.

And as with other commodities, the value of sex is affected by supply and demand factors: A male would spend more time grooming a female if there were fewer females in the vicinity.

"And when the female supply is higher, the male spends less time on grooming ... The mating actually becomes cheaper depending on the market," Gumert said.

Other experts not involved in the study welcomed Gumert's research, saying it was a major effort in systematically studying the interaction of organisms in ways in which an exchange of commodities or services can be observed — a theory known as biological markets.

Dr. Peter Hammerstein, a professor at the Institute for Theoretical Biology at Humboldt University in Berlin and Dr. Ronald Noe, a primatologist at the University of Louis-Pasteur in Strasbourg, France, first proposed the concept of biological markets in 1994.

"It is not a rare phenomenon in nature that males have to make some 'mating effort' in order to get a female's 'permission' to mate," Hammerstein said in an interview, likening the effort to a "fee" that the male pays.

"The interesting result of Dr. Gumert's research on macaque mating is that the mating market seems to have an influence on the amount of this fee," Hammerstein said.
Hammserstein said Gumert's findings indicate the monkeys are capable of adjusting their behavior to "different market conditions."

Gumert completed his fieldwork in February 2005 and first published his findings in the November issue of "Animal Behaviour," a scientific monthly journal.
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #732 on: January 05, 2008, 11:46:23 PM »

Hi SuzieQ - we are fine down here where I live.  It was rainy and windy last night but that's about all.  I did hear there were some evactuations in some of the burn areas in Southern California.

Guess we should be getting more rain later tonight then another storm after that.

They made evacuation preparedness calls to the areas that burned. It really upset me when we got the emergency call (we retained our previous phone number) until I realized it was for my home that burned, rather than where we are renting. I thought...oh brother, not another traumatic event. Anyhow, our builder (who did the demolition a while back) has secured our property with the straw things and was sending a crew over today to make sure all was ok and secured.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #733 on: January 06, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »

I don't get premonitions per se, but I do believe that we have gut instincts that we have to pay attention to. I think we use these senses with our nearest and dearest alot without even thinking about it. The slight change in the voice, a bit of hesitation in an answer. With the Natalee case, I dreamt I was Natalee and I was in water that was very blue and warm. My hair was fanning out and when I looked up, I could see a school of large fish up above. It was a lucid dream, I had been here for most of the evening off an on. That was at least 1 1/2 years ago and it is still a strong memory.
Elaine
Monkey Junky

« Reply #734 on: January 06, 2008, 01:50:47 AM »

I know I am a few days late, but I would like to wish all the monkeys a Happy New Year.

Well, how-dee-doo Elaine!!     Happy New Year to you too!  You may be a few days late, but then, I'm still dressed for Christmas.   santa  I'm not in any hurry about anything...  Mr. Green
Hello MuffyBee~!! Good to "see" ya.. Very Happy

Very classy avi, Elaine.  I like it. 

Elaine, I see you quit smoking! You look fetching in your new outfit. That avi is hilarious....I love it rofllll

Thanks Shell! And CBB has made me even more fetching!.Thanks CBB, I love it  Smile Very Happy
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #735 on: January 06, 2008, 07:24:56 AM »

Elaine, that is so YOU!

Yesterday, I bought my daughter a laptop.  I don't have to share anymore.  And I get to borrow it so when I go to chemo, I can log on and monkey around. 

I'm feeling like a big ole success here this morning.  Yesterday, I brought home a laptop, a router, etc.  Installed it all by my little self.  I downloaded the wireless stuff to the laptop and we have a network.  Today I've got to put Office on there so she will have no excuse not to use it for homework.  And I need to straighten out the cables under the desk and do some tie-wraps.  It's drivin' me nuts.   It was no big deal. 

And I'm no fool.  I got a router that will support a couple more devices.  I smell a laptop with PEACHES on it coming to a monkey near you.  I'm thinking my birthday present to ME.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #736 on: January 06, 2008, 11:31:31 AM »

Wow! Peaches...just think when you get that laptop and are sitting there laughing like a fool because of something we have done here...they will think you are nuts but you will know the truth.  That is so much fun to be in on the secret and others not have a clue.  {{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}} to my hero.  Wink
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #737 on: January 06, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »

Shocked Shocked
Study: Monkeys 'pay' for sex by grooming
In the primate world, sex is subject to the law of supply and demand
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22516331/
By Gillian Wong
updated 12:03 p.m. CT, Sat., Jan. 5, 2008

SINGAPORE - Male macaque monkeys pay for sex by grooming females, according to a recent study that suggests the primates may treat sex as a commodity.

"In primate societies, grooming is the underlying fabric of it all," Dr. Michael Gumert, a primatologist at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, said in a telephone interview Saturday.

"It's a sign of friendship and family, and it's also something that can be exchanged for sexual services," Gumert said.
Gumert's findings, reported in New Scientist last week, resulted from a 20-month observation of about 50 long-tailed macaques in a reserve in Central Kalimantan, Indonesia.
Gumert completed his fieldwork in February 2005 and first published his findings in the November issue of "Animal Behaviour," a scientific monthly journal.
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

If these monkeys had a pocket & an Amex card, they'd be buying dinner like the rest of the men.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #738 on: January 06, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »

Check The Lounge For Your Valentine Avatars and leave a post if you aren't there. I'm working on it, but haven't gotten to everyone yet!   Wink
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #739 on: January 06, 2008, 01:33:57 PM »

They made evacuation preparedness calls to the areas that burned. It really upset me when we got the emergency call (we retained our previous phone number) until I realized it was for my home that burned, rather than where we are renting. I thought...oh brother, not another traumatic event. Anyhow, our builder (who did the demolition a while back) has secured our property with the straw things and was sending a crew over today to make sure all was ok and secured.

Oh, Shell, I am so sorry to hear that but good for your builder securing it with the straw which prevents erosion of the property and secures it.  I am hoping this, 2008, will be a fresh new start and a new day for you and the best year ever.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.