April 19, 2024, 02:25:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YOUNG PEOPLE WHO DISAPPEAR FROM BARS  (Read 19293 times)
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 11:49:56 AM »

Hard-Drinking College Town Struggles to Curb Drownings

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 23, 2006

LA CROSSE, Wis., Oct. 22 (AP) — This month, searchers combing the Mississippi River found the body of the eighth college-age man in nine years to disappear from one of the taverns here and turn up dead in a river.

La Crosse officials have debated for years how to keep drunken students safe, but some say there may be no easy answer for a town with three colleges, three rivers and $3 pitchers of beer.

“I’m not sure anything we do can prevent a future tragedy,” Mayor Mark Johnsrud said.

Some officials want to rein in what many say is a culture of binge drinking. Others have proposed fencing off the scenic waterfront.

But solutions have so far eluded this community, where drinking-related drownings have claimed lives for years. The city’s first recorded alcohol-related drowning was in 1867, the mayor said.

Thousands of students attend the University of Wisconsin campus here, as well as Viterbo University and Western Technical College. Downtown bars offering cheap alcohol cater to young drinkers.

The Vibe, where the most recent victim, Luke Homan, was last seen alive, offers an all-you-can-drink special for $5. Shots are a dollar. A sign in the bar’s window proclaims: “You’re not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.”

Down the street, Brothers sells dollar beers on Wednesdays. The Helm has 50-cent schnapps and $3 pitchers from midnight to 1:30 a.m.

The community has a long tradition of drinking. Thousands of people converge on La Crosse every fall for Oktoberfest, which lasts several days and is popular for its abundant beer. On days when the wind blows just right, the smells of City Brewery waft through downtown.

Cathy Long, a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse, said drinking was too deeply entrenched in La Crosse. “The problem is the culture is already up on a pedestal in this town,” Ms. Long said.

The city lies where the Black and La Crosse Rivers empty into the Mississippi. Hemmed in by rugged bluffs, La Crosse is known for its scenery.

But the waterfront can be deadly. Investigators say that a college wrestler who died in 2004, Jared Dion, fell off a Mississippi River levee that is also used as a pedestrian walkway and a dock for visiting paddlewheel boats. The levee had no railing.

A task force investigating the drownings made 19 recommendations including building gates to the levee, creating alternative forms of entertainment and limiting Oktoberfest to one weekend.

But only a handful of those suggestions were adopted. Over time, the focus on drownings faded, Alderwoman Andrea Richmond said.

“Everybody kind of let it drop,” Ms. Richmond said. “We’ve done nothing.”

Searchers found Mr. Homan’s body on Oct. 2, not far from where Mr. Dion was discovered. Preliminary toxicology reports put Mr. Homan’s blood-alcohol level at 0.32 percent, four times the legal limit.

“They need to do something more down by the river,” said Joe Werner, 22, a teammate of Mr. Homan’s on the University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse basketball team.

But Mayor Johnsrud does not want fences or gates to mar Riverside Park’s natural beauty or to send a message that La Crosse embraces binge drinking.

He proposes spending $60,000 on motion-activated lights in the park to alert drunks when they are close to the water. The City Council will consider the lights in November.

The mayor said community groups needed to remind students about the dangers of binge drinking.

“It’s a behavior issue,” he said.

Mary Torstveit, a prevention services official at the University of Wisconsin, said students living off campus were largely on their own.

Drinking “just seems to be such a standard part of Wisconsin culture and La Crosse culture,” Ms. Torstveit said. “We’ll always be fighting that. At some point, we have to start working on personal responsibility.”

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »

I'm thinking I've read about missing college students in Minnesota.  Besides Dru Sjodin.  Male, college students, maybe in the suburbs.  Couple years ago.  No names come to mind.  End of brainstorm.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 03:37:30 PM »

May 22, 2006
Missing & Drowned Men
The families of nearly two dozen young men, who vanished and drowned, have long suspected their sons' deaths were no accident. Now, some college students have gone where police have not, putting many distant pieces together, uncovering a Midwest mystery that has them talking about a serial killer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rather than sit at home, I might as well be out here looking," said Stephany Welzien in January 2000.

Her son, Brian, disappeared after ringing in the new year on the Gold Coast. She spent weeks passing out flyers, and praying for a break.

"Hopefully he'll come back," she said at the time.

More than two months later, Brian Welzien's body washed up on an Indiana beach. Investigators called the death "accidental." Detectives believe Welzien wandered from the Ambassador East hotel and fell into the lake, two blocks away.

"He didn't have a coat on," said Gary Leadley.

Three years later, another family repeated the ritual here.

"Did somebody stop and pick him up?" Leadley asked.

23-year-old Glen Leadley went missing, after a party on Lake Shore Drive. His body? Also found in Lake Michigan. His death? Also ruled an accident.

"Could that have happened to us? Could that have happened to one of our friends? those are the things you consider," says Amanda Pressenger, are graduate student at Saint Cloud State University, near Minneapolis.

"No one has taken an in-depth look at it from, all these cases," Pressenger explains.

She and fellow student Jessica Clave wondered whether Welzien and Leadley's deaths fit a pattern. So they looked at more than twenty cases, all midwest college students last seen drinking at parties or bars, who all vanished and turned up drowned. Among them: Ryan Getz, Keith Noble, Eric Blair, Chris Jenkins, Michael Noll, Josh Guimond, Chad Sharon, Jared Dion, Scot Radel and Brian Shaffer.

The deaths, all clustered along Interstate 94 from Minnesota to Ohio.

"The one city that has the most victims is Lacrosse," says St. Cloud State criminology professor D. "Lee" Gilbertson. He noticed the men almost always went missing in the first half of the month, and only during the school year. A closer look at the map revealed a routine of sorts.

"There is a cycle -- a chunk in there -- that is east, west, west, east, west, east that repeats itself twice," says Dr. Gilbertson. "That doesn't sound like an accident, either."

The data led students to suggest that it might be the work of a traveling businessman. But why? All these men were found dressed, with their wallets, cash and keys; and no signs of foul play. Professor Gilbertson has a theory.

"We think that something happened to the killer when he was 21, possibly when he was drinking..."

Perhaps the killer got lost, took a ride from a stranger, was molested; and now, looks for victims that remind him of himself at that age.

"There's no way he's going to touch these people or do anything to them to harm them because that's what happened to him," explains Dr. Gilbertson.

So in a sickening twist, a killer may be drowning young men to protect them.

"In order to keep control of the situation and to release them unharmed and pristine, the only way he can be sure of that is to kill 'em," says Dr. Gilbertson.

Saint Cloud's police chief listened to the students' presentation last week. But has his doubts, as do others, who see little more than a deadly chain of coincidences, glued together by binge drinking, darkness and hypothermia.

"There may be a serial killer out there, there may not. you still don't have a concrete conclusion," says student Jessica Clave.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephany Welzein says she still believes her son's disappearance -- six years ago -- involved foul play.

Lacrosse, Wisconsin may be the best example of this debate. Seven college men have drowned there, in recent years. The police chief thinks they stumbled or fell into the river.

But the chief's wife is convinced a serial killer did it.

© Fox Television Stations, Inc. All rights reserved.

May 22, 2006 in Criminal Justice | Permalink

Peaches...www.vanceholmes.com/court/trial_missing_students.html -

This one has a lot of pictures, but I haven't learnt how to bring a link over yet!

MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »

Oh my...I did it!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »

I'm thinking I've read about missing college students in Minnesota.  Besides Dru Sjodin.  Male, college students, maybe in the suburbs.  Couple years ago.  No names come to mind.  End of brainstorm.

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/200211/21_horwichj_missing/
Some of the people listed in Mum's post above are on this page...from 2002.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
SteveDinMD
Scared Monkey

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 11:36:07 PM »

And if you were to add to this those recently known to have been killed at or leaving bars, the list would grow even more and would be very lengthy.

There does seem to be a pattern of bars and violence.  So much for the Cheers scenario where everybody knows your name and the chummy atmosphere shared by fellows imbibing of alcohol.  Sad commentary on the times.

We are regressing as a society and a race in general.  I mean the human race not ethnic differences.  Are we going back to the law of the jungle and tribes?  I know that I feel no where nearly as safe as I did as a child because of the violence and criminal element that is a growing concern in all aspects of our society.

MO

As my wise old grandfather told me years ago, "The papers aren't full of stories about all the wonderful things that happen to people in bars after midnight."  Statistically speaking, bars are extremely dangerous places, and people need to be mindful of this if they choose to go out drinking.  Better to not go at all, but at the very least people need to take responsibility for their personal safety and plan accordingly. 
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 08:35:18 AM »

Nothing good happens after midnight.

An important life lesson if ever there was one.  Especially if you're a girl. 

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 06:28:38 AM »

And let's not forget Natalee - even though we all know who is responsible for that one!
Technically, she was last seen leaving a bar with the three and has not been seen since.

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 07:34:34 AM »

And let's not forget Natalee - even though we all know who is responsible for that one!
Technically, she was last seen leaving a bar with the three and has not been seen since.

Thanks Sleeks.....
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 09:45:46 AM »

Most of these missing, are young adults, or even teenagers. I think we need to better educate the younger bar visitors of the dangers and what safety precautions they should take. Maybe we could start a list for safety when going to bars.....

Have a Buddy System.  If you go out bar hopping, bring a friend with you.  This can help prevent rapes, drink drugging, friends driving drunk, bar fights, etc....

Know the signs of alcohol poisoning.  Not everyone that drinks too much will throw up.  This is when it is critical to have a friend be smart enough to get help. ]

If you live in a cold climate, dress appropriately.  Alcohol lowers your body temp much much faster if you're drunk and decide to be outside, whether waiting for a ride, or walking home.  I personally know of someone that died in a ditch walking home drunk when it was 30 degrees outside, he tripped and fell in a ditch and was found the next morning Sad

Maine, born and raised!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 03:16:29 PM »

bump.

Maine, born and raised!
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 03:30:50 PM »

Emily Sander..18...Kansas...bleached just a thread today posted
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »

You can now add to this thread the missing Emily Sanders, missing from bar in El dorado kansas since 11/23..

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 08:34:19 AM »

Another College Student Gone – Where is Joshua Szostak?
http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/category/joshua-szostak/

........still no sign of 21-year-old Latham resident Joshua Szostak, who disappeared after drinking with friends on North Pearl Street early Sunday.
http://timesunion.com/ASPStories/Story.asp?storyID=650398&newsdate=1/4/2008&BCCode=MBTA

unbelieveable...so many without a trace  Sad

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 07:40:10 PM »

Body Found in Colorado Thought to Be Jersey Man Who Disappeared in Blizzard Two Months Ago

Saturday, April 05, 2008

BRECKENRIDGE, Colo. —  Police in Breckenridge said a body found incased in snow and ice in a field appears to be a New Jersey man missing for nearly two months.

Authorities resumed a search for Alphonse "Michael" Barbiere, 23, after a resident found a credit card Friday belonging to Barbiere along the side of a highway.

A search team found a body at about 9 a.m Saturday in a nearby field. Police said they believe the body is Barbiere based on matching clothing.

"We had pictures of the clothing he was wearing," police spokeswoman Kim Green said. "And the family had provided us with an identical jacket to the one he was wearing."

Green said the jacket matched a jacket on the body.

By noon, authorities exhumed the body after hours of work to remove it from the ice. Green said the Summit County Coroner was working to positively identify the body.

Barbiere has been missing since Feb. 9 when friends reported him missing after he did not return from an evening at a bar in the resort town. At the time, police said Barbiere was "highly intoxicated" when he left Cecilia's Bar and walked into blizzard condition.

About 60 searchers and three dogs looked for him in a half-mile radius from the bar. Police suspended the search two on Feb. 11.

The bar is about a half-mile from the Stephen C. West Ice Arena near where authorities found the body.

Breckenridge assistant chief Greg Morrison said the man who tipped police had been searching the town for Barbiere. Morrison did not give the man's name.

"He had taken it upon himself to be searching," Morrison said. "There had been a $10,000 reward and he expressed knowledge of that reward."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346957,00.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 07:28:03 PM »

Some of these may be connected.

Check this out

DETECTIVES: Chris Jenkins murder connects dozens around country

Could there be a calculated, cross-country plot to kill young college men, including some in Minnesota? It seems a little hard to believe, but two New York detectives say, they can prove it.

Now, they are revealing years of their evidence for the first time to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS...

GO DEEPER INTO THE INVESTIGATION:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s421846.shtml?v=1

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »

Check this out

Could there be a calculated, cross-country plot to kill young college men, including some in Minnesota? It seems a little hard to believe, but two New York detectives say, they can prove it.

Now, they are revealing years of their evidence for the first time to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS...

Channel 7 ABC Eyewitness News had a report just a few minutes ago about these detectives, as you've noted.  No details on a motive in the drownings, but they hope for help in the investigation.  They're spreading the word.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 06:45:05 AM »

Check this out

Channel 7 ABC Eyewitness News had a report just a few minutes ago about these detectives, as you've noted.  No details on a motive in the drownings, but they hope for help in the investigation.  They're spreading the word.

Thanks sleddogs and 2NJSons...This was on Greta last night...I haven't found the transcript yet...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352960,00.html

Detectives: 40 Drowning Victims May Have Been Murdered by 'Smiley Face Gang'

At least 40 young men who drowned may have died by far more sinister means — serial killings at the hands of a national gang that revels in murdering young men and leaving smiley-face markings at the scene, a team of retired New York City police detectives and criminal justice investigators said Monday.

They believe the victims, including University of Minnesota student Chris Jenkins and Fordham University student Patrick McNeill, didn't accidentally drown but were actually killed by members of the so-called "Smiley Face Gang," according to KSTP-TV, which first reported the story.

A smiley-face symbol was found painted at some of the drowning locations — in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa, the station said.

"They're telling you here that they're into evil, they're very happy as most serial killers are," retired NYPD Det. Kevin Gannon said at a press conference Monday. "They're content with their work and what they're doing and the fact that they're thwarting the police."

Click here to read more on this story from the KSTP.com.

Jenkins' body was discovered in the Mississippi River about four months after he disappeared in 2003. To police, his death looked like an accidental fall after a night of drinking.

McNeill drowned in New York City in 1997, also after bar-hopping.

The task force that formed to solve the crimes believes a national crime network has killed at least 40 men — mostly white college students and 20-somethings, often with high grades and impressive athletic records — in about 10 different states.

The team investigated 89 separate cases dating back a decade and said it had connected 40 of them through a variety of evidence — including matching sets of gang graffiti.

It was Jenkins' death, however, that tipped off police. His body was found encased in ice in the Mississippi, his hands folded across his chest in an odd pose that was inconsistent with a chance drowning.

Gannon and another NYPD detective, Anthony Duarte — along with the other investigators — believe a gang of killers has been trolling interstates from New York to Wisconsin, staging the drownings.

The FBI and local authorities don't necessarily agree with the theory that all the drownings are linked and the work of a gang.

But families of the victims have long believed their loved ones' deaths were suspicious.

"The people that murdered Chris have murdered before him and they've also murdered people after him, Jan Jenkins told KSTP. "Those people are still at large."

FOX News' Eric Shawn contributed to this report.

Click here for more on this story at MyFOXNY.com.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 10:03:19 AM »

I revisited Brian Shaffer's thread, and noted he'd gone missing on 4/1...I was thinking then about the dates of disappearances.  I found a sight that had a good compilation of these young people.  Found, too, that the dates are scattered...some holidays, or near holidays, and others varied calendar dates...so my theory went south.  Here is the link, however:

http://www.vanceholmes.com/court/trial_missing.html

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 10:43:37 AM »

Family of of St. Cloud student found dead in river files lawsuit against bars

May 13, 2008
 ST. CLOUD, Minn. - The family of a St. Cloud State University student who was found dead in the Mississippi River is suing the bars where he drank.

Scot Radel's family has filed lawsuits against three downtown St. Cloud bars, saying the 21-year-old was served even though he was noticeably drunk.

The lawsuits say Radel's drunkennes contributed to his drowning death in 2006.

An autopsy showed Radel's blood-alcohol level was 0.215 percent. Authorities have said his death was an accident.

The bars named in the suit are RumRunners, D.B. Searle's and McRudy's Pub.

In court papers, lawyers representing the bars have denied illegally serving Radel.

Radel disappeared February 2, 2006. His body was found about a month later.

http://www.startribune.com/local/18889219.html

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.