April 25, 2024, 01:33:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latasha Norman, 20 yr old Jackson, Miss - missing since 11/13/07(BODY FOUND)  (Read 20465 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: November 21, 2007, 02:08:44 AM »

Mississippi Police Chief Says Missing Student Ignored Due to Race
Wednesday, November 21, 2007

JACKSON, Miss.  —

The newly named chief of Mississippi's largest police force says race is among the reasons the case of a missing Jackson State University student hasn't received national media attention.

Latasha Norman, who is black, was last seen Nov. 13 in one of her classes. Her car was left on the campus, but she never returned to her dormitory room when the afternoon class ended.

"As far as the interest by the national media in the story, I think race probably had an impact," said Jackson Police Chief Malcolm McMillin, who is white. "It's a small college in the South. It's the daughter of simple people who maybe are not important outside of their circle, and maybe we don't attach the same importance to them that we do for other people."

McMillin said the nation's eyes have been on a Chicago case in which a former police officer, Drew Peterson, is suspected in the disappearance more than three weeks ago of his wife, Stacy. The couple is white. Since Stacy Peterson disappeared, authorities have said they believe the death of the former officer's third wife three years ago was a homicide staged as a drowning accident.

"We need to show the same kind of concern for this," McMillin said of Norman's disappearance, adding that heightened exposure could help develop leads in the case.

Police have no suspects in the disappearance of Norman, a 20-year-old junior accounting major from the Mississippi Delta city of Greenville. Her ex-boyfriend and her current boyfriend are among those police have questioned, said Luther Samuel, a detective with the campus police.

"We haven't ruled anyone out," Samuel said.

Norman's ex-boyfriend, Stanley Cole, was arrested Thursday on charges stemming from an incident last month. Cole was charged with simple assault after being accused of striking Norman with his fist Oct. 9 as the two argued in a restaurant parking lot in Pearl. Cole, who is a student at Jackson State, is free on bond.

Samuel said investigators have combed the campus and have been searching all over the state. He said police haven't received any sightings of Norman. He declined to elaborate on details of the investigation.

Norman's father, Danny Bolden, held his wife's hand tightly as he discussed his daughter. He said the last time they talked to her was the night of Nov. 12 as she traveled from her job at a craft shop in Jackson.

"We're not going to stop until we know something. We're going to be relentless," Bolden said. "I'll ask that God may touch whoever ... may have done this, that they may come forward and bring Tasha back to us because we love her very much."

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 01:28:43 AM by klaasend » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:13 AM »

Campus holds prayer vigil for missing JSU student

Have you seen Latasha Norman?

By LaRaye Brown
laraye.brown@clarionledger.com

J.D. Schwalm/The Clarion-Ledger

Family members of missing Jackson State University student Latasha Norman joined faculty and students in a prayer vigil at the university Friday evening. Norman has been missing since Tuesday. Her family and friends say it's unlike the accounting major from Greenville not to let them know her whereabouts.

TO HELP

Anyone who may have seen Latasha Norman is asked to call JSU's Police Department at (601) 979-2580 or the Jackson Police Department at (601) 960-1210.

A day after her ex-boyfriend was arrested for allegedly assaulting her last month, family and friends of Latasha Norman gathered Friday to pray for the Jackson State University student's safe return.

Norman has been missing since Tuesday. The 20-year-old junior accounting major from Greenville was last seen leaving class. Her car was left on the campus, and friends and family said they knew something was wrong when they didn't hear from her.

Jackson State's Police Department is handling the investigation and has released little information about Norman. Chief Rebecca Coleman did not return calls Friday for comment.

On Oct. 9, Norman told Pearl police Stanley Cole hit her in the face with his fist as they argued in a restaurant parking lot. Cole left before officers arrived.

Capt. Ronnie Conerly said Pearl officers on Thursday picked up Cole, 23, at the JSU Police Department on a simple assault charge. He was released the same day on a $500 bond. He is scheduled to appear in Pearl City Court on the assault charge Nov. 29.

Cole, who gave police a Greenville address, could not be reached for comment Friday.

Norman's father, Danny Bolden, said he didn't learn about the incident in Pearl until coming to Jackson on Wednesday.

"She's been trying to break it off with him," Bolden said.

Norman's roommate Sade Aultman, a 21-year-old junior, said she last saw Norman on Tuesday morning. Aultman said she was shocked when campus police told her Norman was missing.

"She didn't bother nobody," Aultman said, earlier describing her friend of three years as nice and friendly.

A cousin, JSU student LaMarcus Norman, 22, said he's been too upset to go to class. "It's been difficult. I'm used to seeing her in the hall," he said.

Another cousin, Takesha Norman, 30, drove in from Greenville on Friday to be with the rest of her family. "We're just patiently praying together until something comes through," she said.

Others at the vigil didn't know the victim.

"Just for anybody to have to go through a situation like this is just sad, just not to know where she is," Germaine Tuckett, a 20-year-old student, said as she wiped tears.

Tuckett and other students are planning to distribute fliers carrying Norman's picture at today's game against Alcorn State University. Fliers have been distributed on the campus, as well.

Bolden said he's gotten very little information from JSU's Police Department or from the Jackson Police department, which is assisting campus police. "Because of all this turmoil that's going on between the mayor and his chief, they are slow," he said.

Jackson Police Cmdr. Lee Vance referred questions to the school's police department.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071117/NEWS/711170374
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:17:34 AM »

What a beautiful young woman. It's not looking good for her.
This is so sad.
It sounds like the ex boyfriend could have been involved since he has that history with her.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:00:22 PM »

Lot's of links here:

http://pr.jsums.edu/show.asp?durki=717
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:30:56 PM »

Thanks Klaasend
The comment
"As far as the interest by the national media in the story, I think race probably had an impact," said Jackson Police Chief Malcolm McMillin
just rubbed me the wrong way today.

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:34:03 PM »

Me too OF.

Copyright 2007 Grand Rapids Press
All Rights Reserved

Grand Rapid Press (Michigan)

November 21, 2007 Wednesday
ALL S EDITION 

NATIONAL; Pg. A4 

189 words

Mississippi college student missing more than a week;
Police chief says race an issue in coverage

JACKSON, Miss. -- A college student has been missing for a week, and this city's police chief says her race is the reason her disappearance hasn't gotten more attention.

Latasha Norman, who is black, was last seen Nov. 13 in one of her classes at Jackson State University. Her car was left on the campus, and the 20-year-old never returned to her dormitory room.

Luther Samuel, a detective with the campus police, said investigators have combed the campus and have been searching all over the state, but no sightings of Norman have been reported.

Police say they have no suspects. Among the people they have questioned are her current boyfriend and an ex-boyfriend who was charged Thursday with hitting Norman last month.

Jackson Police Chief Malcolm McMillin said Norman's disappearance should get "the same kind of concern" as that of Stacy Peterson, 23, a white woman from suburban Chicago who has been missing for three weeks.

"As far as the interest by the national media in the story, I think race probably had an impact," said McMillin, who is white.

Norman is a junior accounting major from the Mississippi Delta city of Greenville. 

November 21, 2007
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:704851303&start=1

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 01:28:08 AM »

Thanks Klaasend
The comment
"As far as the interest by the national media in the story, I think race probably had an impact," said Jackson Police Chief Malcolm McMillin
just rubbed me the wrong way today.

Not that it makes any difference in the reaction of the press, but Malcolm McMillan is white.  He is a long term Hinds County Sheriff who is also serving temporarily as Chief of Police for City of Jackson. 
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 05:42:52 PM »

I've been thinking about what the Police Chief said, and I have come to the conclusion that lately the press seems to jump on the missing cases from up north. They jumped all over the Chicago cases, Nailah, Alma and Stacy and a couple of months ago the two college students and another woman that were missing in Wisconsin. It seems like more of a case of location, maybe more viewers. Still doesn't make it right. Sad
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 06:55:08 PM »

FBI Looking at Case of Missing Student
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Those who know Latasha Norman describe her as a serious, smart student who was seen around Jackson State University with pad and pencil, covering stories for the campus newspaper.
They say it's out of her character to disappear without a word to her family and friends. She was last seen at the end of an afternoon class Nov. 13.

Campus and city police have fielded dozens of calls, to no avail. The FBI is now part of the investigation, bringing useful resources, especially if the search goes beyond Mississippi's borders, Special Agent Jason Pack said Wednesday.

"We're looking at the circumstances of the case, putting a fresh set of eyes on it and trying to come up with some leads so we all can bring her home safely," Pack said.

Norman's father, Danny Bolden, is clinging to that hope. Bolden, a supervisor at a wastewater treatment facility, traveled from Greenville to Jackson as soon as he heard his daughter was missing.

Norman was 2 when her mother married Bolden, who said he's the only father she's ever known. Asked to describe Norman, he used the words "Christian," "humble," and "high morals."

The 20-year-old who grew up in the heart of the impoverished Mississippi Delta is working her way through school and has a job at a Jackson craft shop.

Bolden said she didn't receive a scholarship to college, but has a 3.5 grade point average at Jackson State.

In recent weeks, Norman had been the target of attacks. Someone slashed her car tires and removed the vehicle's license plate. Her father instructed her to file reports with the campus police, and she did.

Last week, an ex-boyfriend of Norman's was charged with hitting her last month. He has withdrawn as a student from Jackson State, university officials said Wednesday.

Norman, a junior majoring in accounting, was assigned to the campus newspaper, The Blue and White Flash, as part of her work study, said Glenda Glover, dean of JSU's College of Business.

"Each time I saw her, she always had a stack of books," Glover said. "She's quiet. She didn't hang out."

Bolden said that during high school, Norman was involved in activities like band and the church choir.

But he added, "She really was a private type person, and she didn't associate with too many people. She wasn't like most young ladies that had a bunch of friend girls."

Andrell Harris, Jackson State's student body president, said he and Norman had been friends for about two years.

"We saw her on the yard a lot because (as a reporter) she was always in the public eye," Harris said. She said people could make Norman laugh "if you had a personality."

"I just hate for her family to go through a holiday season without her being there," she said.
 http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8T2D24O0&show_article=1&image=large

Nov 21 08:42 PM US/Eastern
By SHELIA BYRD
Associated Press Writer

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 10:38:06 PM »

My prayers are with her family. This is really not looking good for this wonderful young woman.
I so hope I'm wrong.

MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 11:07:10 AM »

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Latasha Norman`s father makes a promise he hopes his 20 year old daughter can hear. Tuesday Latasha`s family stood together as JSU`s lead investigator told the media they have no solid leads to her disappearance. Latasha was last seen leaving class last Tuesday afternoon around 2:00. Somewhere between her class and her dorm, Latasha vanished. Her car was found still parked on her dorm at JSU`s campus.

JPD, the Heinz (ph) County Sheriff`s Office, and the FBI are helping JSU search for Latasha. Heinz County sheriff and JPD chief Malcolm McMillan (ph) says Latasha`s case deserves national attention.

As the hours, minutes and seconds tick away since Latasha disappeared, her family holds to their faith.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ- MITCHELL: I`m Jane Velez-Mitchell, in tonight for Nancy Grace. Where is Latasha Norman, that`s what her frantic family and friends desperately want to know.

The Mississippi woman who was an honor student at Jackson State University was last seen on November 13 when she left the school after class.

Now recently she got in a fight recently with an ex-boyfriend who allegedly hit her. He was arrested. He is out on bail. But he is not considered a suspect at this time.

For the very latest, let`s go straight out to Commander Gerald Jones of the Jackson, Mississippi Police Department. Commander, what can you tell us about Latasha`s last steps?

COMMANDER GERALD JONES, JACKSON POLICE DEPARTMENT: Right now we`re interviewing the schoolmates and workmates. As mentioned, we know she attended her last class and was let out somewhere around 2:30 that day. And we`re right now trying to retrace those steps and talk to anyone who may have seen her at that time.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now her car was left on campus. So she didn`t drive away. She didn`t return to her dorm room. What about her cell phone? Did she use her cell phone after the time of her disappearance? What about her purse. Is it missing?

JONES: We don`t have -- she had several purses, the purse we think she may have had that day which contains her personal items and effects has not been found. We do have some activity on the cell phone shortly after she left that class. We`re certainly running those leads to the ground.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So you`re checking the pings, as they say.

JONES: That`s correct.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Well let`s hope you get something there. We`re very pleased to have with us, Danny Bolden, who is the father of the missing woman, Latasha Norman. First of all, sir, thank you so much for joining us. I know this has got to be very, very difficult for you. And I want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

And I speak for the entire staff here at NANCY GRACE. Tell us about your daughter. I understand she is fond of calling her mother all the time but has not called her since she disappeared.

DANNY BOLDEN, FATHER OF LATASHA NORMAN (on phone): That`s correct. They had a like a sister relationship. They talked daily.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, go ahead sir.

BOLDEN: She -- my wife would talk Latasha home from her job at Michael`s. She would talk her all the way back to her dorm every night. It was a ritual. Any time she couldn`t get in contact with Latasha, she became worried. Because they`re like sisters.

VELEZ-MITCHELL:" I understand there was a tire-slashing incident a little while ago, her tires were slashed at some point recently and her license plate stole stolen. What do you know about that? Do you think it might be connected to this?

BOLDEN: I don`t know. But Latasha did inform us of that. When she informed us of what was going on with her vehicle, I instructed her to make sure she reported everything to the campus police so to make sure they had a log of everything that was going on against her and against her vehicle.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And of course the ex-boyfriend, who is also apparently student at the same university, he is not considered a suspect, and we certainly don`t want to implicate him.

But what do you know about the argument they had that resulted in him getting arrested?

BOLDEN: I have known Stanley, Mr. Cole for approximately two years. I didn`t know anything about the incident that happened in Pearl. I found out about this incident when we came down Wednesday morning and we discovered that Latasha was missing. And the Jackson County Police Department showed us the report she had filed against him.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: This is a disturbing story. We have a caller from Illinois. Cassandra, what is your question?

CALLER: I have a question. My daughter was attacked at Jackson State September 15 of this year of this year. We`re from Chicago so we came and got her and brought her home. And we spoke to the president of the university who promised that they would give this information would be going out to the other students. What are they doing about informing students about attacks in the university? Because this is like a progressive state to me.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, let me go back to Commander Gerald Jones of the Jackson Police Department. Is this considered an unsafe campus in general?

JONES: I represent the City of Jackson. The Jackson State police which is what she`s alluded to, what she`s talking about, is actually a separate law enforcement agency.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: No, but I mean, is it a dangerous area? Do women need to be worried. We can`t dance around this. This is life and death issues here.

JONES: Sure. You ask me about the campus itself. We have nothing to indicate that the campus is not safe. This is an isolated incident. So far as we know, nothing of this nature has happened since I`ve been here.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky, forensic scientist, what should they be doing to find this woman?

DR. LAWRENCE KOBILINSKY, FORENSIC SCIENTIST: I think this is going take good detective work. I think they have to ask the public for assistance. For all we know she`s been kidnapped and perhaps even taken out of state. We need to talk to all of her acquaintances. We need to check her communications. Cell phone records, pinging as you pointed out, whether it`s sell phone or e-mail communications.

Her last steps have to be traced, all of her acquaintances have to be spoken to, gathering information. All of this may help. And the public will play major role, I hope.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Prosecutor Eleanor Dixon, with so many of these case we see foreshadowing here. Here we have tires slashed, we have a missing license plate. We have a fight with a boyfriend. Do you have signs that lead to some sort of turmoil and problems?

ELEANOR DIXON, PROSECUTOR: Yes, sometimes there are signs. And although the ex-boyfriend is not considered a suspect by any means, it`s normal to question those closest to her. Because in so many cases, we see the person responsible for the disappearance is the person closest to the victim.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Where is Latasha Norman? We all want to know. And the good news, Dr. Robi Ludwig, is that Facebook is getting involved. Twelve-hundred people have gone on Facebook trying to spread the word. That`s kind of a new development for society.

LUDWIG: It`s an online networking site. And a very good one from what I hear and why it works is because basically people like to feel impactful and like to help and Facebook is a way to do that. Sometimes in our closer relationships, they can be very complicated and we can be too subjective so that`s why this strategy can be really helpful.

VELEZ-MITHCELL: It might be more effective than some of those physical searches. Very quickly, Pat Brown, surveillance cameras didn`t pick up anything on campus. Should they have more surveillance cameras at these campuses?

BROWN: I would love to see it, Jane, because something can happen and we`d love to have a video blog of that. But I want to say something. This is unlikely to be a stranger abduction. Why, first parking lot incident, she was targeted with a slashing of tires, second parking lot incident, she was punched in the face, third, parking lot incident, stranger? I don`t think so.

VELEZ-MITHCELL: I think you`re putting together the dots. We`re going to break this case I certainly hope.

END

This is from Nancy Grace 11/26/2007
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »

This is from Happy@BFN

Good News Folks:  John Walsh"s Tv crew has been in Jackson, Miss. most of this week working this case with the FBI. Hinds Co. Sher. and City Police Dept since they combined under Police Chief and Sheriff Malccolm McMillen last week subject to City Counsel approval as well as the Campus Security Police at Jacskon State U niversity. They are preparing to put out an Americas Most Wanted tv program very soon, in hopes of getting some critically needed clues, leads, tips in this m issing persons case, thats beginning to look more and more like a
homicide case. Both boyfriends of this young black female student have been intensively questioned but police have so far made no arrests and detained no one in this sad case. The parent can be seen all over Jackson stapling posters of their missing daughter on light poles or anywhere they are permitted to post a picture and the telephone numbers to call if you see or hear anything of interest to the police working this case.

vms
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 08:27:36 PM »

Body believed to be Latasha Norman found; ex-boyfriend charged with murder

The ex-boyfriend of a JSU student missing since Nov. 13 has been charged with murder in the death of an unidentified woman, officials say.

Stanley Cole, 24, himself a JSU student, is suspected in the slaying of Latasha Norman, who has been missing since Nov. 13. A body found this afternoon off Brown Street in north Jackson is believed to be Norman’s.

Coroner Sharon Grisham Stewart said more testing would be needed for a positive identification. The body was badly decomposed.

An autopsy is planned.

Cole was taken in earlier Thursday for questioning, said JPD spokesman Sgt. Jeffery Scott.

Cole, whom Scott had termed “a person of Interest” in Norman’s disappearance, was formally charged after the body was found.

Cole apparently led police to the body.

Norman, an accounting major from Greenville, had been the subject of a nationwide search.

Her story had been featured on CNN. Digital billboards leased by JSU for advertising purposes had been flashing Norman’s picture and listing law enforcement contact numbers.

Producers of the popular TV show, America’s Most Wanted, were in Jackson on Wednesday, filming a segment on Norman.
Officials at JSU said nothing had been planned to memorialize Norman and won’t be until the body found Friday has been positively identified as hers.
Norman, 20, has been described as a serious student who kept to herself.

JSU student Jerry Zigler worked with Norman on the school yearbook. Zigler was the editor in chief, and Norman worked on the campus life section, he said.

“Tasha was sort of quiet but not shy,” he said.

Norman had a good sense of humor, he said, and she loved having her photo taken.

“She maybe wasn’t always the first person to go out and talk to people, but she would be the first one to get in the photo,” Zigler said.

Zigler said he remembered one yearbook photo in particular in which Norman was caught off guard.

“It was a bad picture,” he said. “But she wanted it in there.”

Zigler had taken the photo out of the section, but Norman went back and put it back in.

“I told her we would take it again, but she wanted that one,” he said.

http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071129/NEWS/71129039

"A horse! a horse! My kingdom for a horse!"
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 11:27:53 AM »

Sad seems yet another sad ending Sad

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 06:08:51 PM »

It is very sad.  She had such a beautiful smile, and a whole life ahead of her.
But I can't say I'm surprised anymore by the outcome of these cases. I'm sickened, and I feel terrible for her parents, but I really didn't think she was still alive. And I am not surprised about the boyfriend either. It always seems to be the significant other who kills these young women.
It's just all too common now.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »

Cole's Statements Become Evidence In Trial
Norman Killed In 2007

UPDATED: 5:10 pm CDT October 26, 2009

JACKSON, Miss. -- It's been nearly two years since the body of Jackson State University student Latasha Norman was found in a wooded area near Tougaloo College. In February, her ex-boyfriend, Stanley Cole, 25, will go on trial in connection with her slaying.

A statement Cole gave to investigators in November 2007, two weeks after Norman was reported missing, will serve as exhibit 7 at the trial. In it, Cole said an argument between him and Norman turned deadly.

Cole told police that he and Norman left JSU and went riding around. That's when the fight started, he said.

“One thing just led to another. We were just fighting and just cussing and it just really got out of hand. Before I knew it, I hit her too hard and knocked her out,” Cole told investigators according to court documents.

“I just panicked and just put her in the trunk and just rode around and tried to figure out what I was going to do. After a couple of hours, I checked on her and there wasn't a pulse, so I just rode around for a couple more hours. It was late at night and I just saw a couple of abandoned houses and trees and woods and just dropped her off and just covered her up," Cole told investigators.

Police said they found Norman’s body in a wooded area after Cole directed them to the location.

One of JSU’s counseling centers has been named in Norman’s honor. On Monday, as part of Domestic Violence Awareness Week, JSU handed out dating pledge cards to students that say: “I pledge to always treat my girlfriend or boyfriend with respect.”
http://www.wapt.com/news/21430676/detail.html

an angelic monkey

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »

JSU student's slaying trial opens
February 17, 2010

Opening statements begin today in the murder trial of the man accused of killing Jackson State University student Latasha Norman.

After an exhaustive five days of jury selection, eight women, four men and two alternates were chosen late Tuesday afternoon to hear the case against her ex-boyfriend, Stanley Cole, 26.

For two weeks in November 2007, Norman was missing. Her disappearance drew local and national attention.

Since her death, a counseling center at JSU was named after Norman. Also, her case was cited in the passage of two new laws to widen the protections provided for domestic violence victims and increase funding for efforts to fight domestic abuse.

A month before she died, Norman filed a simple assault charge against Cole for allegedly slapping her at a Pearl restaurant. By the time Cole appeared in court in that case, Norman was dead.

Jury members chosen Tuesday include a substitute teacher, a chemist, a program manager, a Nissan technician, a retiree and an unemployed person. They will be sequestered during the trial, which is expected to conclude next week.

Jury instructions followed by opening statements are set to begin at 9 a.m. today.

If convicted, Cole faces life in prison.

Norman, 20, was reported missing after attending an afternoon class Nov. 13, 2007.

On Nov. 29, 2007, Norman's badly decomposed body was found in a wooded area of north Jackson near Tougaloo College. That same day, Cole was arrested and charged.

Jackson police detectives have said Cole told them where to find Norman's body the day he was arrested.

Circuit Judge Swan Yerger already has ruled that Cole's statement to police will be allowed in the trial.

"Cole, without any coercion, knowingly, intelligently and voluntarily provided information through his interview" with two detectives, the court order said. "Cole was aware of his Miranda rights, admitted he understood those rights, and without invoking his right to silence, willingly spoke with Detective (Crystal) Tillman about the location of Norman's body."

During a police interview, Cole told authorities he picked up Norman from JSU. He said the two got into a physical altercation and he struck her in the head, knocking her unconscious while they were in the vehicle somewhere near Battlefield Park, Jackson police Detective Juan Cloy testified during Cole's preliminary hearing.

"He said he struck Latasha in the head and knocked her unconscious. He said blood came running out of her nose and he wasn't able to revive her," Cloy testified.

But Cloy said the autopsy appeared to show a puncture or stab wound in the left upper ribs. A forensic anthropologist's examination confirmed the wound.

The defense hired its own forensic pathology expert with taxpayer money. Yerger granted a defense motion to spend up to $4,000 to hire the expert.

The defense is expected to challenge the claim Norman suffered a puncture or stab wound.

Cloy is on the witness list for the prosecution.

The defense indicated it had potentially 100 witnesses, but on Tuesday the number that would actually be called to testify appeared significantly less when both the prosecution and defense had to provide their witnesses before the jury was finally seated.

Initially, about 300 Hinds County residents were summoned for the case.

Neither Norman's parents nor Cole's relatives were present during the jury selection.
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100217/NEWS/2170372/1001/JSU-student-s-slaying-trial-opens

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »

wow.....that was quick
WOOHOO! JUSTICE!! May he rot behind bars and miss his freedom every single minute for the rest of his miserable life. Another waste of oxygen off the streets.

Stanley Cole found guilty of murder

Updated: Feb 22, 2010 3:15 PM EST
JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - A jury has found Stanley Cole guilty of murdering Latasha Norman. The jury reached a verdict after deliberating a little more than an hour.

Norman's body was found in north Jackson, off Brown Street, in November of 2007. Cole led police to the body after he confessed to killing Norman.

During the trial, Cole's attorney told the jury that Cole accidentally killed Norman, then panicked, and dumped her body.

But during jury instruction, Judge Swan Yerger refused to allow the jury to consider a Manslaughter verdict.

Yerger sentenced Cole to life in prison.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=12024780

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »

Although I would prefer the DP       .......I'll accept this as JUSTICE!

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.