April 19, 2024, 03:07:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tony Harris-Former Basketball star -body found badly decomposed/Brazil suicide??  (Read 8801 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: November 22, 2007, 03:36:59 PM »

Cause of Harris' death may remain mystery;
Brazil - Basketball player's body found badly decomposed

Christina Siderius, Seattle Times staff reporter
 The Seattle Times

November 21, 2007 Wednesday 

A medical examiner may not be able to identify the cause of death for former basketball star Tony Harris, because his body found in a secluded area in Brazil was so badly decomposed, according to a U.S. government official.

Harris' body was discovered Sunday about 50 miles east of Brazil's capital. It was in such poor condition that it may never be known whether the death was, as Brazilian authorities suspect, a suicide.

For nearly two weeks, the Garfield High School graduate's family had been anxiously awaiting word on what happened to Harris, who disappeared shortly after traveling to Brazil to play basketball with Universo/Brasília.

His wife, Lori Harris, who is expecting a baby next month, said she "knew it was him" even before Harris' identification had been confirmed through dental records Tuesday. She said she is doing "as well as can be expected."

"There's not really anything to say at this point," she said.

His wife's stepfather, who traveled to Brazil to search for Harris, was unable to visually identify the body matching Harris' description found in Formosa this week.

U.S. Consul-General Simon Henshaw in Brazil, who visited the site Tuesday, described it as "an incredibly rural area" that was miles away from the nearest road.

"There was no sign of any others who had been there, according to Brazilian police," Henshaw said.

Henshaw said the body was in very bad shape.

The local authorities' conclusion that the death may have been a suicide rattled those who knew Harris.

"People really can't believe that this is a suicide. It's a hard pill to swallow if that's the case," said Jon Hall, a Garfield High School graduate who went to school with Harris.

"He's a leader, he is a charismatic, very talented athlete... . He's a source of nothing but pride for the Garfield community," Hall said. "This [suicide] is not in his character."

Brazilian media reported last week that Harris was depressed and paranoid. Lori Harris, a social worker, has denied her husband was depressed.

Locals reported seeing Harris in the days after he was reported missing in a small town outside Brasília asking passers-by for food, according to police officials in Brazil.

Lori Harris said her husband sounded anxious in his phone calls early this month and told her there were rumors being spread about him that could put him at risk.

The medical examiner is ready to release the body to the family, and arrangements are still being worked out, Henshaw said.
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:705006528&start=13

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 03:38:58 PM »

Story of his vanishing

Former W.S.U. basketball star missing in Brazil

http://www.kxly.com/news/index.php?story_id=15840

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 04:39:09 PM »

This sounds like one of those sad stories that never completely get resolved. There may be no way to get to the truth now.

God Bless his wife, and the new baby, and his family.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:43:10 AM »

The Seattle Times

November 25, 2007 Sunday
Fourth Edition 

ROP ZONE; Local News; Pg. B1 

693 words

Lack of answers haunts family of ex-WSU star;
Remains expected back Monday - Relatives don't believe it was suicide

Christina Siderius, Seattle Times staff reporter

The ashes of Tony Harris are expected to arrive in Seattle on Monday from Brazil, where the former Washington State University basketball star's body was found after he went missing there earlier this month.

But family members, who gathered to talk about Harris at his mother's home in South Seattle on Saturday, say the cremated remains won't bring them any closure only more questions.

His mother, Ophelia Harris, of Seattle, is asking how officials could believe her son the pride of the Central Seattle neighborhood where he grew up committed suicide. Brazilian authorities have said suicide was the most likely cause of his death.

His younger brother, Germaine Harris, who believes the death was a homicide, is asking why the investigation ended. His brother was in trouble, and he had told his wife he was in danger before he was last heard from Nov. 4.

"If my brother was going to hang himself, why did he have to go to Brazil to do that?" he said.

They all wonder why there are no answers or hope of answers.

"There is no way we're going to buy this was suicide," said cousin Timothy Robinson, of Seattle. "The best way to get closure is knowing why."

Harris had played basketball in Brazil several years ago, and, at the time, he was having an affair with his coach's wife, his family said Saturday. Harris moved home to the Seattle area when the coach stopped paying him, they said.

He went back to Brazil this year on Oct. 31 to play for a different team in the same organization, amid rumors and "bad blood" left over from his previous stay in the South American country, his family said. They said he feared for his life before he disappeared. Harris' current team is owned by the same organization, but it has a different coach.

His wife, Lori Harris, in a previous interview, said he told her he was possibly at risk after only a few days in Brazil's capital, and he wanted to come home.

Last Sunday, Brazilian authorities found a body, with a shoelace around the neck, at a secluded site that was miles from any road. Days later, it was identified as Harris' body through dental records.

Last Sunday would have been Harris' 37th birthday.

His body was so badly decomposed the medical examiner was unable to determine a cause of death, a U.S. embassy official said.

"We found the body, but no answers," said Brian Stewart, who calls himself Harris' "brother." The two grew up together, went to Garfield High School and later to Washington State University, where Harris led the Cougars to the NCAA tournament in 1994.

The family was told by U.S. government officials after Harris' body was found that the United States did not have jurisdiction. Officials said they wished they could do more but they couldn't.

"And that's what we're left with," said Stewart.

Ophelia Harris, whose living room was filled with flowers, cards and pictures of Harris, wore a T-shirt with her son's picture that read "In loving memory of my son."

"Nobody will ever know how empty I feel," his mother said. "He will be very well missed in my heart."

When Harris was growing up, his mother worked at the post office, and Harold Russell, the man he called father, worked for a grocery chain. Harris loved hanging out with his three brothers and sister, she said.

Harris used to attach a hoop to the light pole on the street corner to play basketball. He dropped out of high school for a year, and it was because of basketball that he went back.

During the Washington State years, his mother would stand up and scream, "That's my son that's my baby!" when he made shots at college games.

When he came home to visit in Seattle, she would host a big barbecue and invite the whole neighborhood. Everyone was proud of him, she said.

Harris played overseas for a few years before his first stint in Brazil. For the past few years, Harris, who had a 14-year-old son from a previous relationship, worked various jobs doing yardwork for his uncle and later working at a juvenile detention center. In 2005, he married Lori Harris, who is expecting their child next month.

A memorial for Harris will be Friday in Seattle, although the family has not settled on a church.

Christina Siderius: 206-464-2112 

photo; Courtesy of the family : Tony Harris and his mother, Ophelia, shown in a photo from his 2005 wedding album. (0403665632)

November 26, 2007
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:706253852&start=6

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 10:56:40 AM »

It must be very difficult for Tony Harris's family, having to not only deal with his death but with being told by Brazilian authorities it was suicide.  Was his death reported a suicide to keep from having a statistic on the books of a murder?  Also, because his death is listed as a suicide, it is not only tragic in terms of the feeling of his family, but if there was any kind of life insurance, it could effect that also.  Not trying to say they are after money and etc., but when someone passes on, there are debts and costs related, and sometimes even a nominal policy can be helpful for the family.  Death of a family member also has financial implications, which are heaped on top of the sorrows.  This is really sad in that it sounds like Tony Harris was possibly suffering from mental or health problems before he died.  And he is cremated, which means further testing couldn't be done to investigate his death.  Poor family  Sad

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=tonyharris

interesting article!

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.