April 25, 2024, 08:30:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember Everyone...  (Read 2512 times)
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« on: November 27, 2007, 12:30:31 PM »

There's certainly a lot of excitement in the cage lately because of the recent developments in the Natalee Holloway case, but I'm a little concerned that we as a community might be a bit myopic. We all want to see justice served for the crimes that were committed in Aruba, but all this excitement makes it easy to forget about some of the other important things that need attention.

Tim Miller and his volunteers see lots of heartbroken families every year. As we're all focusing on the Holloway case at the moment, I think it's important that we remember other missing persons cases and even other issues, too.

Friday night I saw a NightLine news story about ER surgeons in Iraq who deal day-in and day-out with young men coming in grasping for life, and if they do live, they are often sentenced to life in a wheelchair or amputation. It tore me up inside. Iraqi civilians are carrying wounded children into these American makeshift operating rooms begging for help because a cowardly terrorist planted an IED that went off while the child was innocently playing kickball.

I got a message from a friend today that prompted these thoughts and my post here. I was sent an e-mail by a friend that contained some photos of the recent wildfires in California, and my thoughts immediately turned to our own Monkey, Shell, who lost everything she and her family owned in the fires. These pictures prompted this message. I don't want to be like the media who we criticize for forgetting things so quickly when another big news story comes about.

We can't do it all, but we can all do something. I prayed for you today, Shell.
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »

As I reread how I wrote the notes above, I see it could be interpreted as if I was being preachy or talking down to people. It depends on the "tone" in which it was received, I think.

The title "Remember Everyone" isn't listed as a teacher reminding her kids to remember to do their homework. It's instead meant to be "keep all people in need in mind". Remember (don't forget) Everyone (all those in need - not all those who visit our cage).

I've been misinterpreted so many times before on this forum that I thought I should clarify my tone before anybody got the wrong idea thinking I was trying to be bossy or something. Best to err on the side of caution in my case.

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 07:43:31 AM »

FWIW, I get you.  I agree to some extent but there is a lot of activity on the missing persons threads, prayers thread, etc.  Right at this moment, we may be more focused on Natalee but I try never to forget others out there in similar circumstances.  For months when there was no new news, we carried on here discussing other cases and causes. 

I understand what you're saying.  I hope we can stay focused on Natalee but not to the exclusion of any others who may need our attention and support.  THanks to all who went to trade shows and on searches for other missing people.  When I think of SM, I think of brave, supportive, caring people in it for the long haul. 

Rambling off now.......

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:18:59 AM »

Somehow, I missed the news about Shell. I am so sorry about her losses. I know she's thankful that she and her family aren't hurt, but still....to lose your home, and all of your possessions is a terrible blow. My prayers go out to Shell and her family.

Dugga - I also understood the point you were making. There is so much hurt in the world right now. Sometimes, I just cannot stand to hear about another sad thing. Then I remember why I'm here at SM, and I get refocused, and go on.

Natalee is close to our hearts, but we do need to think of other tragedies, other families, and do what we can for them as well.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »

Red has schooled me a lot about the "ministry" that takes place in working with missing persons cases. Really helping families find comfort in difficult times. And while it's completely heart-wrenching to watch, it's also bittersweet to know that in some small way we can help those who hurt.

This place is really unique. Red and I have discussed many times how the community here is unlike any of the dozens I've launched and worked with over the last 2 decades. There is an amazing amount of compassion in this place, and it's incredibly cool to see us all working in our various circles towards greater good.
snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »

Thank you for reminding us Dugga.  I didn't take it as preaching at all.  Those pictures are so rivoting.  It really brings it home.  I have been trying to spend more time in the Missing Persons Forum.  There's not much I can do except to let loved ones know that a mom from Missouri is praying for them.  Everyone has equal importance.

I work with people on a daily basis who have suffered a fire or water loss.  While some may say that I'm making a profit on other peoples suffering, and that is true to a degree I also in my own small way look at it as a ministry of sorts.  To spend time with people, and comfort them.  Tell them everything is going to be ok.  To restore their possessions is very rewarding emotionally.  One of the worst is when I go to someone's home where there really is nothing to salvage.  I try to make it a mission to find something, anything of value to them to clean.  The smile on their face is priceless when I'm able to return something pulled from the ruble so precious as an old family picture or heirloom that nobody said could be cleaned.  No invoice required.  Their smile and hug is payment enough.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 03:14:41 AM »

I didn't take it as preachy at all.  It's the truth!  It's so sad that there is so much tragedy in our world and hard to keep up with them all!   It just so happens that we all met up here for persuit of justice for Natalee, so that is very dear to our heart.   However, reading all the Missing threads, there are passionate people who post for many others as well, among crimes against children, etc.    We are all truly dedicated people who want justice for all, we don't forget.  It does so happen, after 2 1/2 yrs. when news breaks, we become emotional and passionate about Natalee.  But we never give up on our true passion of all missing people and those who are suffering, especially our own Monkey's!  It breaks my heart to know about Shell, as I remember, when she got the call to evacuate.  It's heart wrenching and I pray for her losses, as well as Peaches strength and endurance.   

This site is truly blessed and filled with loving, caring people.  That I will never abandon!

Thanks Dugga for keeping our guards up!

God Bless.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.