March 28, 2024, 01:51:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nine People Killed in Mall Shooting  (Read 4881 times)
sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: December 05, 2007, 05:28:21 PM »

Omaha, NE - Nine people are confirmed dead following the shooting at Westroads Mall this afternoon.  Action 3 News has learned at least 5 other people were hurt.  Two are in critical condition at area hospitals.  34-year-old Omaha attorney, Jeff Schaffert was shot in the arm.  He is in fair condition at the Nebraska Medical Center.  A 55-year-old man has already been released from the hospital.

Police believe one of the dead is the shooter.  Sergeant Teresa Negron says he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police are asking everyone to stay away from the area.  The neighborhoods around the mall are believed to be safe.  Police are asking anyone in their cars outside the mall to stay inside their cars.

The Omaha Police Department says the Hampton Inn across the street from the mall is welcoming concerned family at this point.

Von Maur Corporate issued this statement: "We are deeply saddened by the horrific shooting at our Omaha store this afternoon.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this tragic event as well as they're families."  The Director of Sales tells Action 3 News the store has a policy in place for emergencies such as this.  He says workers at the Omaha store went through training for emergencies within the past year.

David Keating, Vice President of Corporate Communications for General Growth Properties which owns Westroads Mall, says, "It's believed the mall will be closed for the rest of the day."  Keating says his company's number one concern is to make sure everyone is out of the mall and out of the way.

http://www.kmtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7455348

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 07:36:48 PM »

8 Dead, 5 Hurt In Mall Shooting
Dec. 5, 2007
Last Update: 6:25 pm
http://www.keyetv.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=a9daaf79-713e-4ced-8e00-6473b153191f

OMAHA, Nebraska (Reuters) - A gunman opened fire inside a crowded shopping mall in Omaha, Nebraska, on Wednesday, killing eight people and then himself, police said.

Five other people were wounded in the rampage, including two critically, according to hospital spokesmen. One man with a chest wound was in surgery.

Police had few details of the shooting, but witnesses said the gunman shot one man in the head from a third-floor balcony of the Westroads Mall and others were shot at point-blank range.

Police arrived at the mall, which was crowded with shoppers, and encountered victim after victim, though it was not clear when the gunman killed himself, police Sgt. Teresa Negron told reporters.

Negron said most of the victims were shot inside one department store and that the motive for the rampage was still being investigated.

"There was breaking glass ... it was horrible, just horrible," one woman told KETV in Omaha, saying she hid under a clothes rack when the shooting started.

Another witness said she heard someone shout, "It's a gunman, run!" and saw bullet casings cascading off the mall balcony.

Witnesses reported hearing as many as two dozen gunshots, and some told local TV they saw people shot in the head.

Jeffrey Peck, manager of a leather goods store, said mall workers ran up to tell him to close up his store.

"I told the customer to go into the backroom, and as I was shutting the gate, I heard two gunshots ring out."

Shoppers and store workers were trapped inside the mall, which has roughly 135 stores, and huddled behind locked doors or inside dressing rooms. Others streamed out of mall exits with their hands raised.

President George W. Bush gave an address in Omaha on Wednesday morning but had left the city hours before the incident.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »

Here is another news account of the shooting:

Nine dead in Omaha mall shooting

04:24 PM CST on Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Associated Press
http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/120507kvueomahamallshooting-eh.6ebd762a.html
Associated Press

OMAHA, Neb -- A gunman opened fire Wednesday at a busy Omaha shopping mall, killing eight people before taking his own life, police said. Five more people were wounded, two critically.

CBS

A witness, Todd Trimpe, told Omaha television station KMTV that he saw police apprehend a man who was hiding under a bus stop bench outside the mall. Trimpe said the man was dressed in camouflage.

Keith Fidler, a Von Maur employee, said he heard a burst of five to six shots followed by 15 to 20 more shots.

Fidler said he huddled in the corner of the men’s clothing department with about a dozen other employees until police yelled to get out of the store.

Fidler said he did not see the shooting but saw a person lying still by an elevator as he was leaving the store.

A woman who answered the phone at an Old Navy store said 20 to 30 customers were huddled with employees in a back storeroom.

“All we know was people were running and screaming down the hallway by Von Maur saying there was a shooting, and then they locked us down,” said the woman, who said her name was Heidi.

Police were allowing some people to leave the mall, but no one was permitted to enter.

President Bush was in town Wednesday for a fundraiser in Omaha, but left about an hour before the shooting.
-----------------------------------------------------

I wonder about this person dressed in camo and hiding under a bus stop bench.  This article says the was apprehended by the police.  The shooter killed himself. So, is this a second person involved, or possibly just a bystander wearing camo, that heard shots and hid? 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 10:03:54 PM »

I lived in Omaha for a long time and just moved a short distance away a year ago.  Am praying none of these victims are friends.  No names yet.

There has been NO LOCAL TV all night - nothing but coverage of the case.  The kid had some problems and was put on antidepressants!  He lost his job at McDonalds today.  Left his mom a suicide note and headed to the mall. 

This was one of my favorite malls- very nice part of town - never any violence.  People fainted out of fear.  They were sent out of the store in sub zero weather without coats and had to stand in the freezing weather waiting to get their belongings, car keys etc. 

There are 2 people still in critical condition.  One of them as we speak has been in surgery for over 5 hours.  One can only pray.

MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:03:13 AM »

I lived in Omaha for a long time and just moved a short distance away a year ago.  Am praying none of these victims are friends.  No names yet.

There has been NO LOCAL TV all night - nothing but coverage of the case.  The kid had some problems and was put on antidepressants!  He lost his job at McDonalds today.  Left his mom a suicide note and headed to the mall. 

This was one of my favorite malls- very nice part of town - never any violence.  People fainted out of fear.  They were sent out of the store in sub zero weather without coats and had to stand in the freezing weather waiting to get their belongings, car keys etc. 

There are 2 people still in critical condition.  One of them as we speak has been in surgery for over 5 hours.  One can only pray.

Frijole...I heard this on Fox as breaking news and immediately thought of you. The victims, their families and all of Nebraska are in my prayers.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 08:10:12 AM »

Thanks MuminOhio.   They have not released any info on the victims yet.  We only know 5 women and 3 men + the shooter.  The chief police hesitated when asked if any were children and my heart skipped a beat.  He didn't answer the question but I fear it might be the case.  Some of the shooting took place near the children's dept.  The shooter was in more than one part of the mall shooting.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:51:07 AM »

Frijole...I am relieved to see you posting this morning and the victims and families are in my prayers.  Mere

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 12:27:51 PM »

Gunman May Have Smuggled Weapon in Shirt    
Dec 6 11:54 AM US/Eastern
By OSKAR GARCIA
Associated Press Writer
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TC2JJ01&show_article=1

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - The teenage gunman who went on a shooting rampage in a department store may have smuggled an assault rifle into the mall underneath clothing, police said Thursday.

Police Chief Thomas Warren said the young man "appeared to be concealing something balled up in a hooded sweat shirt" he was carrying, according to a surveillance video.

Moments later, as gunshots rang out over Christmas music, those at Westroads Mall huddled in dressing rooms and barricaded themselves in offices as the shooter, 19-year-old Robert A. Hawkins, sprayed the third floor of Von Maur with gunfire. When the shooting was over, Hawkins killed himself.

His victims included six store employees and two customers, police said.

The customers killed included Gary Scharf, 48 of Lincoln and John McDonald, 65, of Council Bluffs, Iowa. The employees killed included Angie Schuster, 36, of Omaha; Maggie Webb, 24; Janet Jorgensen, 66 of Omaha; Diane Trent, 53 of Omaha; Gary Joy, 56 of Omaha; and Beverly Flynn, 47, of Omaha.

The mall was closed Thursday as authorities continued to investigate what may have motivated the teen to go on the shooting spree. The shooting spree was Nebraska's deadliest since January 1958, when Charles Starkweather killed 10 people in Nebraska and another in Wyoming.

Hawkins apparently had a troubled past. He recently split with his girlfriend and been fired from McDonald's. He also had a criminal record and had left or been kicked out of his parents' house.

He dropped out of Papillion-La Vista High School as a senior in March principal James Glover said Thursday. While he wasn't a loner, he had a very small group of friends and was not involved in extracurricular activities, Glover said.

"It was never a situation where he was out of the loop because people were picking on him," Glover said.

Debora Maruca-Kovac and her husband, whose sons were friends with Hawkins, welcomed him into their home and tried to help him.

"When he first came in the house, he was introverted, a troubled young man who was like a lost pound puppy that nobody wanted," Maruca-Kovac told The Associated Press.

About an hour before the shooting, Hawkins called her and told her he had written a suicide note, Maruca-Kovac said. In the note, which was turned over to authorities, Hawkins wrote that he was "sorry for everything" and would not be a burden on his family anymore. More ominously, he wrote, "Now I'll be famous."

"He had said how much he loved his family and all his friends and how he was sorry he was a burden to everybody and his whole life he was a piece of (expletive) and now he'll be famous," she told CBS' "The Early Show," Thursday, describing the note. "I was fearful that he was going to try to commit suicide but I had no idea that he would involve so many other families."

Records in Sarpy and Washington counties showed Hawkins had a felony drug conviction and several misdemeanor cases filed against him, including an arrest 11 days before the shooting for having alcohol as a minor. He was due in court in two weeks.

Maruca-Kovac told the Omaha World-Herald that the night before the shooting, Hawkins and her sons showed her an SKS semiautomatic Russian military rifle—the same type used in the shooting. She said she thought the gun belonged to a member of Hawkins' family, but didn't think much of it because the gun looked too old to work.

Mickey Vickory, who worked in the store's third-floor service department, said she heard shots and went with coworkers and customers into a back closet, emerging about a half-hour later when police shouted to come out with their hands up. As police led them to another part of the mall for safety, they saw the victims.

"We saw the bodies and we saw the blood," she said.

Keith Fidler, another Von Maur employee, said he heard a burst of five to six shots followed by 15 to 20 more rounds. Fidler said he huddled in the corner of the men's clothing department with about a dozen other employees until police yelled to get out of the store.

Witness Shawn Vidlak said the shots sounded like a nail gun. At first he thought it was noise from construction work at the mall.

"People started screaming about gunshots," Vidlak said. "I grabbed my wife and kids. We got out of there as fast as we could."

The sprawling, three-level mall has more than 135 stores and restaurants. It gets 14.5 million visitors every year, according to its Web site.

It was the second mass shooting at a mall this year. In February, nine people were shot, five of them fatally, at Trolley Square mall in Salt Lake City. The gunman, 18-year-old Sulejman Talovic, was shot and killed by police.
---------------------------------------------------------

Why couldn't Robert Hawkins find another way to "be famous"? 

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 07:59:51 PM »

Muffy, I agree with your bottom tag line about being famous.  However, all of us are part of the problem, aren't we.  I have been watching TV show after TV show spend upwards to 10 to 20 minutes at a time describing the actions and the life of the perpetrator.  Where is the time being spent on the victims.  Occasionally, I will see a 5 second flash of the victims.

Even here at SM when do nothing to honor the victims and post about the criminal.  If disturbed people feel they can get attention by creating these terrible acts they will continue to do so.  Even if they have to give up their lives in doing so they seem to have some warped sense of satisfaction in knowing people will talk about them and even create movies and TV shows about their actions.

In the meantime, we neglect the victims in these tragedies.  We now know more than I care to know about this disturbed young man.  Where on this blog can I find out about the wonderful and caring people who were killed in this senseless act.  Where are the discussions about what these families are going through.

As I said, we are also to blame.  We love sensational stories.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 10:09:06 PM »

You are right my friend GO.  The natl media flew in, got the "scoop" and fled.  Meanwhile a town that hasn't had this kind of murder rampage since the 1950's is in total shock.  There was talk of NEVER reopening the store that it occurred in.  Vigils are  being held and there are some wonderful fundraising events being planned to raise funds to help the victims and survivors.   All employees of the department store will receive 100% pay until the store is reopened. They are also getting  counseling. 

That silly church out of Wichita that protests at veterans' funerals is coming to the mall to PROTEST TOMORROW.  They are HONORING this troubled teen.  I hope the Omahans show up in force to hold them at bay.  This is disgusting.

So who are these newest angels that were so tragically lost?  I'll honor them. 
(from the Omaha World Herald my comments in red):

Beverly Flynn, age 47, of Omaha, was a real estate agent at NP Dodge whose trademark was planting a rosebush in the yard of every new homeowner. The mother of three worked part time wrapping gifts at Von Maur during the holiday season. Her shift was nearly over.  (She would have gotten off work in 10 minutes.  She only worked this job because Christmas is her favorite holiday and she enjoyed wrapping presents at this high end department store. The real estate co she worked for hired 500 people and the employees decided to cancel the holiday party scheduled for next Monday and donate the money to her family - approximately $25,000.  Her business cards read: Just sit back and smell the roses while Beverly Flynn takes care of your every need.

Janet Jorgensen, age 67, of Omaha, was a saleswoman on the third floor of Von Maur, the gifts department, where she sold crystal and other fine items. Jorgensen would even sometimes deliver items to customers' homes. She was noted as a fine seamstress and cake baker.  She had worked at the same job for many years.  She and her husband had just had their 50th wedding anniversary but delayed celebrating it due to her husband's health problems. 

Gary Joy, age 56, of Omaha, worked in housekeeping at Von Maur. He was described as a sweet man who wrote poetry and stories. He graduated from Bellevue University with a degree in literature, which was his passion. Joy donated his organs.  I saw them interview his 90 year old mother and an even older aunt at a nursing home where they live.  He had recently visited and was always doing things to help his mother out.  When they heard the news they called him on his cell phone over and over but got no answer and said they began to worry at that point.

John McDonald, age 65, of Council Bluffs, was shopping with his wife, Kathy. He retired in 2000 from Northern Natural Gas in Omaha, where he worked for 27 years and was recalled as a "wonderfully kind man." The Creighton University graduate was an avid runner and bicyclist.  He and his wife were buying the last Xmas gift and were standing it line to have it wrapped.  When the shots rang out they both ducked behind a chair but he got hit.  The gunman didn't see his wife. She stayed behind the chair until help came.  He died instantly.  One of their daughters survived the 911 attack in NYork. 

Gary Scharf, age 48, of Lincoln, worked for LG Life Sciences and traveled all over the country for work. He was shopping for Christmas presents during some free time between flights. Scharf, who grew up on a farm outside Curtis, Neb., and retained his rural Nebraska sturdiness, had a son, a stepson and two stepdaughters.  He was just killing time before his flight out of Omaha.  I saw his 19 yr old son interviewed and he said his Dad called him that afternoon and when they were hanging up he said I love you son.  The son said he was at work and his dad always said that and he was embarrassed at work to reciprocate - but HE DID.  And he is so glad that he had that last chance to tell his Dad he loved him.

Angie Schuster, age 36, of Omaha, was a manager in the girls department at Von Maur. She had just moved in with her boyfriend, Greg O'Neil, who planned to give her an engagement ring at Christmastime. The Dubuque, Iowa, native and University of Northern Iowa graduate loved showering her nieces and nephew with gifts.  Her fiancee said he lost his soul mate.  He sobbed as he shared that he was going to surprise her with the ring - maybe even a few days before Xmas just to throw her off.

Dianne Trentage 53, of Omaha, a former flight attendant, had worked in Von Maur's customer service department for eight years. She returned to Omaha eight years ago after her husband, Pete, died. She loved to travel and shop, and she lived for a time in Bogota, Colombia. She graduated from Omaha Benson High School.  She had no children but had 23 nieces and newphews that she spoiled rotten. 

Maggie Webb, age 24, of Omaha, was a recent transfer to the Omaha Von Maur store. She had been promoted to store manager. The Illinois State University grad was known by co-workers as an energetic and friendly boss who wasn't above helping unload a truck dressed in her business suit. She would have celebrated her 25th birthday in two weeks.  They say her whole face lit up when she smiled.  She was young but a manager having worked at another smaller store with her father.  She got transferred and was very well respected within the company. 

May you all find peace with God my brothers and sisters.  Your stories needed to to be told.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 10:18:14 PM »

From Frijoles Post :

(snipped)
"That silly church out of Wichita that protests at veterans' funerals is coming to the mall to PROTEST TOMORROW.  They are HONORING this troubled teen.  I hope the Omahans show up in force to hold them at bay.  This is disgusting."

What is the world coming to?  WHY honor someone that gunned down innocent victim after innocent victim?  Why not show care and support for those who were injured or killed while going about their business?  There is something really, really wrong with those people, imo.  Did they not have enough attention as children or what?!  They've got it all backwards!  A candlelight vigil for the victims and families and friends.  A fund raiser or collection to help defray the cost of medical and funerals and for the families who may have lost a bread winner.  Geez...Where is these people's since of right and compassion?    What would they be protesting anyway? 

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 11:22:01 PM »

You are right my friend GO.  The natl media flew in, got the "scoop" and fled.  Meanwhile a town that hasn't had this kind of murder rampage since the 1950's is in total shock.  There was talk of NEVER reopening the store that it occurred in.  Vigils are  being held and there are some wonderful fundraising events being planned to raise funds to help the victims and survivors.   All employees of the department store will receive 100% pay until the store is reopened. They are also getting  counseling. 

That silly church out of Wichita that protests at veterans' funerals is coming to the mall to PROTEST TOMORROW.  They are HONORING this troubled teen.  I hope the Omahans show up in force to hold them at bay.  This is disgusting.

Beverly Flynn, age 47, of Omaha, was a real estate agent at NP Dodge whose trademark was planting a rosebush in the yard of every new homeowner. The mother of three worked part time wrapping gifts at Von Maur during the holiday season. Her shift was nearly over.  (She would have gotten off work in 10 minutes.  She only worked this job because Christmas is her favorite holiday and she enjoyed wrapping presents at this high end department store. The real estate co she worked for hired 500 people and the employees decided to cancel the holiday party scheduled for next Monday and donate the money to her family - approximately $25,000.  Her business cards read: Just sit back and smell the roses while Beverly Flynn takes care of your every need.

Janet Jorgensen, age 67, of Omaha, was a saleswoman on the third floor of Von Maur, the gifts department, where she sold crystal and other fine items. Jorgensen would even sometimes deliver items to customers' homes. She was noted as a fine seamstress and cake baker.  She had worked at the same job for many years.  She and her husband had just had their 50th wedding anniversary but delayed celebrating it due to her husband's health problems. 

Gary Joy, age 56, of Omaha, worked in housekeeping at Von Maur. He was described as a sweet man who wrote poetry and stories. He graduated from Bellevue University with a degree in literature, which was his passion. Joy donated his organs.  I saw them interview his 90 year old mother and an even older aunt at a nursing home where they live.  He had recently visited and was always doing things to help his mother out.  When they heard the news they called him on his cell phone over and over but got no answer and said they began to worry at that point.

John McDonald, age 65, of Council Bluffs, was shopping with his wife, Kathy. He retired in 2000 from Northern Natural Gas in Omaha, where he worked for 27 years and was recalled as a "wonderfully kind man." The Creighton University graduate was an avid runner and bicyclist.  He and his wife were buying the last Xmas gift and were standing it line to have it wrapped.  When the shots rang out they both ducked behind a chair but he got hit.  The gunman didn't see his wife. She stayed behind the chair until help came.  He died instantly.  One of their daughters survived the 911 attack in NYork. 

Gary Scharf, age 48, of Lincoln, worked for LG Life Sciences and traveled all over the country for work. He was shopping for Christmas presents during some free time between flights. Scharf, who grew up on a farm outside Curtis, Neb., and retained his rural Nebraska sturdiness, had a son, a stepson and two stepdaughters.  He was just killing time before his flight out of Omaha.  I saw his 19 yr old son interviewed and he said his Dad called him that afternoon and when they were hanging up he said I love you son.  The son said he was at work and his dad always said that and he was embarrassed at work to reciprocate - but HE DID.  And he is so glad that he had that last chance to tell his Dad he loved him.

Angie Schuster, age 36, of Omaha, was a manager in the girls department at Von Maur. She had just moved in with her boyfriend, Greg O'Neil, who planned to give her an engagement ring at Christmastime. The Dubuque, Iowa, native and University of Northern Iowa graduate loved showering her nieces and nephew with gifts.  Her fiancee said he lost his soul mate.  He sobbed as he shared that he was going to surprise her with the ring - maybe even a few days before Xmas just to throw her off.

Dianne Trentage 53, of Omaha, a former flight attendant, had worked in Von Maur's customer service department for eight years. She returned to Omaha eight years ago after her husband, Pete, died. She loved to travel and shop, and she lived for a time in Bogota, Colombia. She graduated from Omaha Benson High School.  She had no children but had 23 nieces and newphews that she spoiled rotten. 

Maggie Webb, age 24, of Omaha, was a recent transfer to the Omaha Von Maur store. She had been promoted to store manager. The Illinois State University grad was known by co-workers as an energetic and friendly boss who wasn't above helping unload a truck dressed in her business suit. She would have celebrated her 25th birthday in two weeks.  They say her whole face lit up when she smiled.  She was young but a manager having worked at another smaller store with her father.  She got transferred and was very well respected within the company. 

May you all find peace with God my brothers and sisters.  Your stories needed to to be told.

this is worthly to keep bumping.... thank you....

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 09:01:52 AM »

I agree with you GreatOwl....Frijole I was a guest last night right after you posted this. Stayed a while to reflect. Thank you.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.