April 20, 2024, 12:16:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby Jane/Delta Dawn-Mystery of lost child lingers-Mississippi  (Read 16962 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: December 08, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »

The Sun Herald (Biloxi, Mississippi)

December 8, 2007 Saturday 

Mystery of lost child lingers: Baby Jane would be 25

Dec. 8--PASCAGOULA -- For 25 years, Jackson County Sheriff's deputy Virgil Moore has been hunting for clues to help identify an 18- to 24-month-old girl who drowned but was never claimed.

Moore calls her Baby Jane, a name selected after he and his late wife, Mary Ann Moore, asked to adopt her body so they could provide her a Christian burial. She's also called Delta Dawn on the Web site of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

At 2 p.m. today, Moore and others who first investigated the case, as well as two Alabama women who've taken an interest in the girl, are paying tribute to her at a graveside prayer vigil followed by a memorial service at Bethel Assembly of God.

Moore is hoping someone might read about the girl and finally call in information that could unravel the mystery surrounding Baby Jane's death.

"I have an 8 x 10 picture of her at my house," Moore said. "Every day, I look at that picture and wonder who she is. She was a beautiful baby. I fell in love with the baby after she died. Somebody somewhere has got to know something."

It was cold day Dec. 5, 1982, when a truck driver called the Jackson County Sheriff's Department to report he'd seen a body floating face down in the Pascagoula River off Interstate 10. The driver said the body appeared to be that of a woman wearing a checkered shirt and blue jeans.

Former sheriff's deputy Paul Murphy got the call and went to the area the driver mentioned, but found no body.

He decided to continue the search, stopping first at a nearby bridge overlooking the Dog River near Franklin Creek. What he saw hit him hard.

There on the banks of the Dog River was a blonde curly-headed child, still clothed in a pink-and-white checkered dress and wearing a diaper. She looked just like Murphy's daughter. So much so, in fact, that the first thing he did was call the Sheriff's Department to get someone to check on his daughter.

"That's just how close she looked like my daughter," he said. "I thought it was her."

Murphy got confirmation his daughter was OK as the investigation rolled on. Deputies started following the leads they had. One lead was a report of woman seen clutching something and walking along the Interstate some time before the baby's body was found.

The Sheriff's Department sent search teams out to dredge the Pascagoula River but an adult's body wasn't found.

Detectives continued their investigation, checking on other reports, including one report of a visibly shaken woman holding a baby at a truck stop in Grand Bay, Ala., and talking to truckers. From there they chased other leads, even checking reports of information out of California. Then the case went cold. No one seemed to know anything and there was no record at the time of a missing adult and child.

Moore and Murphy continued to follow leads, but nothing ever came up to help identify the girl.

All the two men knew was the baby was found with 10 percent of their lungs filled with murky water. Her death was ruled a drowning, though strangulation could not be ruled out.

Over the years the two men developed their own theories on the case. Moore remembers talking to a woman who showed up at the Sheriff's Department after Baby Jane was found, asking for help. She later told Moore she'd just given her baby away to some men. Moore questioned the woman but she said the child she'd given away was boy.

Moore still wonders if the woman might have been the child's mother.

Murphy has another theory: The woman seen clutching something and walking along the Interstate was the child's mother. Maybe, he said, the baby died in her mother's arms and she panicked, throwing the baby over the bridge into the water before realizing what she'd done and then took her own life, jumping in the Pascagoula River.

Though search teams dredged the river, Murphy points out it's not inconceivable to think the search teams couldn't find the mother's body. Maybe, he said, her body was trapped under something in the water or swept away in the tide, never to be seen again.

But those are just theories, and the two men are hoping a new focus on the case will bring new details.

Whatever happened, Moore and Murphy aren't alone in trying to find out who Baby Jane is.

Auburn, Ala., resident Lynn Reuss started taking a look at missing-persons cases after her own grandmother disappeared in 1997; she was found dead about three months later in the Chattahoochee River around Fort Mitchell, Ala. As it turned out, her grandmother had suffered a brain aneurysm and somehow ended up in the river and drowned.

Reuss said when she started reading about Baby Jane, whom she refers to as Delta Dawn, she decided to make it her mission to try to help identify the baby girl.

For three years she's worked with another Alabama woman to collect signatures on a petition they're going to send to "America's Most Wanted" to see if they'll do a story on the case.

Like Moore and Murphy, Reuss said she has one thing in mind for today.

"I want to honor her memory," she said. "And maybe in the process, we'll bring more interest back to the case so hopefully... someone will see this and somehow help to get this solved. We want to give her back her identity. She deserves a name. It's just that simple."

If you go

What: Gravesite prayer vigil at Jackson Memorial Park on Ingalls Avenue in Pascagoula.

When: 2 p.m. today, followed by a 3 p.m. memorial service honoring Baby Jane at Bethel Assembly of God, 2105 Martin St., Pascagoula. The public is invited.

------

What's next

Jackson County Sheriff's deputy Virgil Moore is planning to talk to officials at the state crime lab to see if it would be possible to get a DNA sample from Baby Jane.

DNA testing wasn't available to law enforcement 25 years ago when Baby Jane was found off Interstate 10 on the banks of the Dog River near Franklin Creek in Jackson County.

If the state crime lab says it is possible to gather some DNA, Moore says he plans to check with the courts to see if he could get a judge to sign an order to exhume Baby Jane's body for testing.

To see more of The Sun Herald, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.sunherald.com. Copyright (c) 2007, The Sun Herald, Biloxi, Miss. Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services. For reprints, email tmsreprints@permissionsgroup.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA. 
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:713014029&start=3

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »

That's such a sad story, but it's also fascinating. It's the kind of tale that can haunt you until there are answers.
That poor little baby girl must have had a family somewhere. I hope they find out who she was one day.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 03:44:45 PM »

The Doe Network:
Case File 45UFMS

Unidentified White Female

Located on December 5, 1982 in Escatawpa, Jackson County, Mississippi.
Estimated Date of Death: 36 and 48 hours before her body was found.
Cause of death was homicide

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 18 months to 2 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 2'6" - 76 cm; 20 - 25 lbs - 11 kg.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Strawberry blonde hair; either brown or blue eyes, due to the cloudiness of the eyes.
Dentals: 12 baby teeth had grown in at the time of her death.
Clothing: The victim was discovered wearing a Cradle Togs' pink and white dress which buttoned in the back and a disposable diaper. Some reports say that she was wearing a red and white checkered dress (or shirt).

Case History
The victim was located in the Dog River, beneath the westbound lane of I-10 in Pascagoula, MS, on December 5, 1982. She was apparently thrown off the Interstate 10 bridge 36 - 48 hours prior to discovery.
Her body was found when a trucker called authorities to report a body of an adult wearing a blue plaid shirt and blue jeans, floating in the river. The Jackson County Sheriff's Office believes the body is the mother of the child found floating in the river. Detectives said the theory is based on the fact that a woman, who was obviously distressed and carrying a child, was seen walking on Interstate-10 on the previous friday night. This is further confirmed by a Moss Point woman who was monitering CB conversations that night. She said "truckers were 'raising-a-boat-load-of-Hell' between midnight friday and 1 a.m. saturday because a woman and child were walking on the interstate and refused to let anyone help her."

Authorities said a woman wearing a blue plaid shirt and blue jeans and carrying a child was seen near the scales at the Alabama line walking west on the interstate. She was reported walking in the westbound lane. A man who saw the woman said a pickup truck stopped but she refused to get into the truck.
Authorities speculate the woman may have thrown the child into the water and then jumped. The baby still had a breath of life because she had sucked in some of the murky water into her lungs.
It is unclear if the body of the woman was recovered.

The unidentified toddler is buried in Jackson County Memorial Park. Deputy Moore and his wife stepped forward and made sure the little girl was given a proper funeral and burial in 1982. 200 people attended the young girl's funeral.

The circumstances of her death remain unknown and no arrests have been made.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this child's identity or the circumstances surrounding her homicide, please contact:
Jackson County Sheriff's Department
Capt. Mick Sears
228-769-3063

Agency Case Number:
82-21094

NCMEC #: NCMU400053
All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Source Information:

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Operation Delta Dawn
Gulf Live
WLOX 12/8/07

Composite below...also 2 sketches at the link
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/45ufms.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 03:50:11 PM »

http://www.nbc15online.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=245251@video.wpmi.com

VIDEO ON STORY~~ interesting

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 03:53:11 PM »

http://www.nbc15online.com/news/custom/special%20reports/story.aspx?content_id=36fd78c8-f6d0-4b0c-9dfd-2548213e810f

The Mystery of Baby Jane Doe

JACKSON COUNTY, Miss.
Feb. 19 -- The case of "Baby Jane Doe" has been kept alive by detectives and deputies who simply wont let it go. The child's body was found floating in a river off Interstate 10, in Jackson County Mississippi on a cold December morning in 1982. It's a case that still baffles investigators 25 years later.

Jackson County Mississippi detectives believe Baby Jane Doe was thrown off the Interstate 10 bridge into the Escawtawpa River. "The child most likely was alive when it was thrown over because there's no blunt force trauma," Detective Mick Sears tells NBC15's Jame Gordon.

The child drowned, starting a 25 year mystery. Virgil Moore, the original investigator, has taken on the task of not only finding out who killed the baby girl, but has become the girl's surrogate father, first arranging for her burial and since then, tending to her grave. He says:  "As the marker says, 'Known only to God.'  What I'd like is for us, myself and all the people here, is to know who this baby is."

The night before Baby Doe's body was found reports came in that a woman holding a baby was seen walking along I-10 near the Alabama-Mississippi state line.  A truck driver who was interviewed at a nearby truck stop told investigators he offered to help the woman, but she refused. 

The next day, there was another call.  A truck driver heading east on I -10 said he saw a body floating near the west bound lane off a bridge on the Escawtawpa River.  Paul Murphy, the deputy on call, says: "And I stopped in the middle of the first bridge there to get out and looked over and there was the baby."

Searchers looked for another body, possibly that of the baby's mother, but nothing was ever found.

Now, 25 years later, the focus is on the truck driver who called saying he saw the baby's body.  Among the many questions is, why did the truck driver wait until he was miles away to make the call.

Detectives say they are getting closer to tracking down that truck driver, but they realize it could be just another dead end. According to Captain Sears, "We just want to try and go over his statement that he made back then, that was, which of course back then was not a very good statement."

This past December, folks in Jackson County marked the 25th anniversary of the little girl's death and they continue with their vow to give the baby a name and to find justice for her.

If you have any information which could help officials find the answers they seek regarding the Baby Jane Doe case, contact the Jackson County, Mississippi, Sheriff's Department.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.