April 18, 2024, 08:32:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mitchell Report - Steroid Use MLB  (Read 5957 times)
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« on: December 13, 2007, 02:59:28 PM »

Report is in...see www.espn.com

Watched his presentation on msnbc....apparently about 75 players named, past and present. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
mlspdq
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »

Here is a link to the report

http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/sports/mitchell-report-drugs-mlb.pdf

Having teenagers has given me the absolute true understanding of why some animals eat their young
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:19:46 PM »

Roger Clemons and David Justice....two players I loved!  Sad
I'm just disgusted.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:53:10 PM »

Roger Clemons and David Justice....two players I loved!  Sad
I'm just disgusted.

Andy Pettite, who was supposed to be religious beyond the realm of the sport...it takes all kinds and it is very sad....most of us are not surprised with some on the list...it's just a disgrace...and disgusting, as you've posted.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 12:46:39 AM »

It is sad that baseball has fallen so far off track.  It is now comparable with Professional Wrestling.  However, I think even pro wrestling has had its wake up call and is beginning to try to clean up its act.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:22:42 AM »

I have to chuckle to myself every time I listen to a news or sports broadcast and they try to compare Marion Jones to the baseball issue.  The statement always comes out that if this is the consequence for Ms. Jones then why not baseball players.   Folks, it will never happen.

There is a marked difference and it should be obvious to all who preach this way.  Marion Jones is lucky if she has 100k in the bank.  Nobody has any investiture in her career as a track star.  She has no agent making hundreds of thousands of dollars from her at this point in her career.

Look at the names that have been listed in the report.  The combined total of money invested and banked by everyone dependent upon those players approaches the gross national product.  If we are naive enough to think anything will happen to those players we are living in a dream world.  There is enough money and influence to drag out investigations and court cases into the 22nd century and beyond. 

Money talks and it will speak loudly in this instance.  I am not saying it is right, but that is the way life is.

let's just take baseball off the front pages as we have wrestling and put it into the entertainment section where it belongs.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 03:17:56 PM »

Marion Jones is broke, and going to jail, if she's not there already.

Barry Bonds will pay for the steriod mess, since he lied to Congress about it. He will be the poster boy, since he's not all that likeable anyway, and he's at the end of his career. He'll go to jail, be the sacrificial lamb, and it will all die down.

There might be some noise about drug testing, but I can't see that anything substantial will be done. They'd have to can most of the Major and Minor league  players to get rid of the steroid use.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 10:38:29 PM »

Steriod use is rampant in all college sports now also, there are ways around so much of this with additives and creams and testing half-truth's.

Professional sports is a megabucks industry and as long as we fans care most about winning, the drug use isn't going to change. Athletes at the college level who want the big ticket at the professional level often feel they will miss their chance if they don't do what Bonds and Jones have done, and many others, just to compete.

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 09:15:44 AM »

There is also steroid use at the high school level, and I have even heard of it being used in Pop Warner and Little League by overly competitive parents trying to live through their children.... Sad

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »

Steroid use at the high school level is becoming more of an issue.  It is estimated that between 3-5% of student athletes may be using steroids or a performance enhancing drug.  Right now the majority of the states have begun a testing program to not only test the athletes, but also many other students.  In light of the recent increase in violence within our schools this will probably become the norm before too long.

At issue is the cost factor.  Testing programs for such drugs will run a school district between 100 and 150 thousand dollars for a single year.  Where is this money going to come from?  School budgets are already over burdened with the rising cost of education.  Taxpayers are asking for cuts or at least a budget which holds the line.  Keeping the youth of our country safe from drugs is an important element.  However, where does the money come from.  We already have surcharges in most districts for those who participate in athletics.  Now if we attempt to charge just the athletes how do we include the rest of the student body or at least those students deemed to be "at risk" with in a program.  This will become a an ever increasing problem at the years pass

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »

I agree GO. Paying for the drug tests are a problem.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.