March 28, 2024, 06:17:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MATTHEW WILSON 20yrs old, Houston TX - missing since 12/14/07(Found Safe)  (Read 97649 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

January 25, 2008
Mother responsible for Wilson Facebook activity
By Jocelyn Wright | Thresher Editorial Staff

Students who thought they found a lead in missing Hanszen College junior Matthew Wilson’s case when activity appeared in his Facebook account on Jan. 17 are mistaken.

This activity was not Wilson’s doing, but that of Cathy Wilson, his mother, who said she has been logging into his Facebook account for the past week.

Using his Facebook account, Wilson’s mother has joined several groups, including “Find Matthew Wilson,” “Four guys, one destination, one mission: Suicide Prevention” and “Men.” Wilson’s mother also added the Top Friends and Daily Horoscope applications, and edited his political and religious views.

Wilson’s mother said she used her son’s Facebook to contact some of his friends and joined groups to keep Matthew’s name alive and out in the Rice community. When she was contacting his friends, she said she clarified that it was her and not Wilson speaking.

“It’s just a desperate mother’s plea,” Cathy Wilson said. “Matthew is too important to be forgotten.”

Wilson’s mother said she had spoken with Rice University Police Chief Bill Taylor and clarified that the activity on Wilson’s Facebook account was her doing.

One student who agreed to speak anonymously said that although finding Wilson was important, his mother’s attempt to spread awareness through Facebook might not be the most effective strategy.

“I think she basically confused a lot of people because they thought he was back,” the student said. “It’s just kind of confusing when you’re [getting on Facebook] under the name of a missing person.”

Kymberlee Wilson, Wilson’s sister, subsequently logged back into Wilson’s Facebook and removed his membership from the “Find Matthew Wilson” group and changed his religious and political views back to the way they were originally. She posted in the group to explain what had happened and changed Wilson’s Facebook password to prevent others from logging in the future.

On the FindMattWilson message boards, Wilson’s other sister, Kelly Wilson, apologized for any confusion her mother’s actions may have caused.

“Mom is having a very hard time right now and is not herself,” Kelly wrote in a message.

Although RUPD still does not have any new leads in the case, Wilson’s mother said she will never give up looking for her son.

“I will do this until the day I die,” she said. “Matthew is my world. And I will never give up on finding Matthew. Never.”

She said there needed to be more flyers around campus and in the surrounding area. Wilson’s mother advised new techniques for getting Wilson’s name in the area such as putting flyers on pizza delivery boxes.

The FindMattWilson forum has been filled with arguments about Rice’s and students’ dedication and effort to finding Wilson, and whether they have done enough. One specific argument focused on a student’s comment questioning what students who never knew Wilson could do.

As part of her continuing efforts to keep her son’s name and face in the public eye, Wilson’s mother did an interview with the television show Inside Edition, which she said will be airing in a few days.

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »

Thank you for posting this information, Kermit.  I wonder what is up with what he purchased?   

Sometimes end of school the kids have bar-b-ques, so he may have planned to join a bar-b-que at semester end and he may have also just been hungry because he did buy some snacks too and Elliott said he heard him putting groceries away. That doesn't sound like someone who is planning to run away to me.

Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »

Heh Heh, I found his facebook right away.

Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2008, 01:45:17 PM »

Bringing Matthew's Candles forward:

Light a candle for Matthew...
  Special thanks to Marlee for helping me!   

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=MattW

I am praying for this young man, his mother and family.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »

I was researching, to see if there was any new news on Matthew Wilson, and I did Google News and I got:
(copied and pasted from google)

Rice police: Student may have left on purpose
Houston Chronicle, United States - Jan 15, 2008
And while Taylor doesn't think Matthew Wilson, a computer science major at the exclusive private college, planned to copy the protagonist from Jon ... 

It says this article is no longer available.  I wonder, what is this about?  I tried an archive search, and nothing.  I think the article got pulled.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Momof2OneryGirls
Scared Monkey

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2008, 07:58:38 PM »

Feb. 12, 2008, 6:58PM
2 months later, no sign of missing Rice student
He disappeared after withdrawing $500 from ATM

By DALE LEZON
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
TOOLS
Email

Get section feed
Print

Subscribe NOW
Comments (21)

Recommend (1)

Two months after a Rice University student disappeared, his family and police have no clues as to his whereabouts and school officials have withdrawn him from the university.

Matthew Wilson, 20, was last seen Dec.14 in his apartment he shared with a roommate. He has not been heard from since, his family said.

"I've not lost hope at all," said Cathy Wilson, his mother in Oklahoma. "We're going to keep looking for Matthew. We're not going to give up."

The family plans a concert at 8 p.m. March 8 at Diamond Jim's Saloon in Arlington to help raise money for the search.

University officials said that Wilson, who was on scholarship, had registered for the current semester before he went missing, but he has not shown up at his classes. At the end of the fourth week of school, he was withdrawn, said B.J. Almond, school spokesman.

Almond said university police have no new leads in the case.

Cathy Wilson said her son's bank account and credit card have not been used since he last withdrew $500 at an ATM on the afternoon of Dec. 14. He also filled his car at a gas station that day just before midnight.

Police said he also bought charcoal, matches, a car cover and a car window shade. His 2004 silver Dodge Neon has not been found.

Cathy Wilson said hundreds of e-mails suggesting what might have happened to her son have flooded the family and a Web site the family began to help find him, but none have proven helpful.

She said she spends hours every day combing through the e-mails for clues.

"I work at day as a preschool teacher," Cathy Wilson said, "and go home and become an amateur detective."

Wilson is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 135 pounds. He has red hair and green eyes and was last seen with a full beard. His four-door sedan has Oklahoma license plates 863MCZ.

There is a $20,000 reward for information leading to his return. Anyone with information about him can contact Rice University police at 713-348-6000 or CrimeStoppers at 713 222-TIPS
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »

If he left on purpose, why wouldn't he take all of his money? He had a substantial amount left in his checking account, from what I read. Are they basing that theory on what he bought prior to his disapperance?
I wish we had that article in it's entirety.....

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Momof2OneryGirls
Scared Monkey

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »

This was posted the same day as the one that isnt working suggesting why they think he left on his own.

Clues Offered in Search for Student
By RALPH BLUMENTHAL
Published: January 16, 2008
New York Times

HOUSTON — A month after a Rice University student vanished with his car after withdrawing $500 from a bank machine, school officials on Tuesday disclosed information suggesting the disappearance might have been planned.

Days before he was last seen by a roommate the night of Dec. 14, the student, Matthew Wilson, 20, a computer science junior from Haworth, Okla., bought a car cover, a car window shade, charcoal and matches, said a Rice spokesman, B. J. Almond.

And just before midnight Dec. 14, gasoline was bought at a Houston service station with Mr. Wilson’s debit card, which required use of his personal code, Mr. Almond said. The card has not been used since, he said.

The missing student’s mother, Cathy Wilson, said about $1,400 had been left in the account. Mr. Wilson had his backpack with him but left behind his cellphone.

“It would appear he left on his own volition,” said Chief Bill Taylor of the Rice University Police Department.

Mr. Almond declined to speculate on what Mr. Wilson’s purchases could signify, but they appeared to suggest Mr. Wilson wanted to protect his car from exposure to the elements and perhaps survive outdoors for a while. The clues have been known for some time, Mr. Almond said, but were not disclosed in hopes of furthering the investigation. No information about Mr. Wilson’s whereabouts has emerged.

Rewards totaling $25,000 have been offered for leads in the case, including $5,000 from Crime Stoppers of Houston for information leading to felony charges.

Mr. Wilson is described as white, 5 feet 7 inches tall and 135 pounds, with red hair, green eyes, glasses and a full reddish beard. He drives a silver 2004 Dodge Neon with the Oklahoma license plate 863 MCZ.

Family members had been hoping he would follow through on plans to be in Haworth for Christmas, but said they did not hear from him. His mother described him as an A-student with no known problems or medical conditions. School officials said it was unusual for Mr. Wilson not to have turned in any of his end-of-semester projects.

The family has set up a Web site, www.findmattwilson.org.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »

Thanks Momof2, and welcome to the board!

I can see him leaving for a while to study quietly somewhere, but to leave permanently with no word to his family in all this time seems strange. I hope he's not that cruel and selfish. I guess the alternative would be that he had some kind of accident, and couldn't return.
Maybe people should be looking at cars under a protective cover that have been parked for a while.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »

I hope investigation can continue in this case.  If Matthew Wilson did leave on his own, it doesn't mean he didn't intend to come back.  I wouldn't want to just drop it.  Something isn't right, imo.

This from my previous post from the Houston Chronicle that is no longer available when I try to click on it under Google News:

(snip) "planned to copy the protagonist from Jon ..."  What does this mean? 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2008, 05:38:25 AM »

I hope investigation can continue in this case.  If Matthew Wilson did leave on his own, it doesn't mean he didn't intend to come back.  I wouldn't want to just drop it.  Something isn't right, imo.

This from my previous post from the Houston Chronicle that is no longer available when I try to click on it under Google News:

(snip) "planned to copy the protagonist from Jon ..."  What does this mean? 

Muffy, this refers to the protagonist, Christopher McCandless, from Jon Krakauer's book "Into the Wild". 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild

I've read that book twice.  It's amazing.  It's a similar story.  McCandless simply ran away from life and tried to survive in the Alaskan wilderness.  He almost made it.  Starved to death in an abandoned school bus he was using for shelter.   Great book.  Hope Matthew didn't follow in his path. 

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »

Peaches ~  Thank you for the information.  After what you've described, I hope Matthew hasn't run into problems trying to follow "Into the Wild".  It's an interesting theory and maybe some have reason to believe he is/has attempted this.  I fear that law enforcement might decide Matthew is old enough to leave if he wanted to and disappear.  Meaning there won't be more searches etc.  It would then be up to his family/friends etc. to seek him. 

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »

This is very weird. We have another young man on this board who also has a reference to 'Into The Wild'.

Posted by ME on Jan. 14th.

View Profile   Re: Teenager Lee Cutler Missing From Illinois
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=2275.msg293952

Very strange.....

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2008, 06:15:42 PM »

That theory that Matt suddenly just ran off is coming from the Police Chief ONLY.

I do not buy into it.

People who decide to run away have some sort of plan. Matthew's plan was to take his friend to the airport Sat.

Kids often have bar-b-ques at the semester end. That might explain the bar-b-que purchase.

Only 500.00 was removed from an ATM, no way to know for sure if Matthew removed the money or someone else because there are no cameras at the ATM.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »

I tend to agree with you Kermit. I don't think he meant to disappear from his life entirely. I wonder if maybe he intended to get away to concentrate on his exams, and then was unable to return for some reason. I'm sure his friend thought he was dependable enough that she expected him to show up for a ride to the airport. That's a pretty important favor, and it seems that he intended to do it for her.
Buying charcoal and matches doesn't seem like enough preparation for leaving a life behind. Neither does $500.

This is a very puzzling case.

Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2008, 10:05:28 PM »

I tend to agree with you Kermit. I don't think he meant to disappear from his life entirely. I wonder if maybe he intended to get away to concentrate on his exams, and then was unable to return for some reason. I'm sure his friend thought he was dependable enough that she expected him to show up for a ride to the airport. That's a pretty important favor, and it seems that he intended to do it for her.
Buying charcoal and matches doesn't seem like enough preparation for leaving a life behind. Neither does $500.

This is a very puzzling case.

Of course there is the thought he could have owed someone money and something happened when he went to pay the guy back.

TexasDoug
Scared Monkey

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2008, 11:06:59 PM »

My thoughts are with the family.  I know the area where he last filled his car with gas.  I am sure the police are aware of the general poverty of the neighborhood to the east, the street folks living under the nearby freeway, drug use, chop shops, crack houses, a nearby consulate, lots of folks walking about at all hours in that area, to the degree any of them might have witnessed anything.  The gas station is also at the entrance to Hwy 59 which goes north to the Alabama Indian reservation campground, state parks and lakes, logging areas, any number of places where he may have camped or sought quiet.  I can only speculate that he was filling up before a long night drive towards Texarkana, in the general direction of home, or perhaps preparing so he could drive his friend to the airport the next morning.  I just wish I could help in some concrete way.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2008, 03:58:05 PM »

My thoughts are with the family.  I know the area where he last filled his car with gas.  I am sure the police are aware of the general poverty of the neighborhood to the east, the street folks living under the nearby freeway, drug use, chop shops, crack houses, a nearby consulate, lots of folks walking about at all hours in that area, to the degree any of them might have witnessed anything.  The gas station is also at the entrance to Hwy 59 which goes north to the Alabama Indian reservation campground, state parks and lakes, logging areas, any number of places where he may have camped or sought quiet.  I can only speculate that he was filling up before a long night drive towards Texarkana, in the general direction of home, or perhaps preparing so he could drive his friend to the airport the next morning.  I just wish I could help in some concrete way.

Welcome to SM TexasDoug.  Thank you for your information about the area in which Matthew Wilson was when he last filled his car with gas.  It appears there are many possible scenarios as to what happened after he finished filling the car.  If someone did witness something that involved Matthew, they may not want to get involved, or may not have realized the significance at the time.  I believe his car is still missing,and your comment about lakes ,logging areas etc. make for scary thoughts.  I hope he can be found soon.

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

I wonder if Matthew Wilson read "Into the Wild".  I wonder if the book is on his bookshelf...... 

It's an intriguing story and I can see where someone could get caught up in it and think "well, I can do better than that",etc.

Just a stream of conciousness kinda thing here......

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »

Matthew works on one of his finals with his friend - they finish
He goes to get gas knowing he has promised this girl he'll take her to the airport the next day
He has 500.00 he has removed from the ATM on Friday

Seems to me if ya was gonna to a Into the Wild moment, you'd at least have not put so much effort and time into that final with your friend, yet then dump on the girl who was counting on ya to take her to the airport for her plane. Doesn't add up.

When something doesn't make sense - look for the truth.

Kid is & has always been not just a good student, but a top student. It matters to him.
His computer matters to him.
He always goes home to his mom's house for break, summer vacation.
He finishes a final with his friend to turn in. If he was going to go on a Into the Wild moment, why waste the effort.
He is shy in some aspects, but him and his room mate get along. Elliott seems like a nice kid. Both his mom and sister like Elliott.
Other kids know when something is wrong with their roommate and Elliott seems as caught off guard as anyone.

I think this is not an into the wild moment.
I think the Police Chief, with all due respect is wrong.

I think a search is not necessary, it is imperative - to search the area - around that gas station.
FIND THE CAR! And start ruling things out!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.