March 28, 2024, 10:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Purpose Driven Life"  (Read 15414 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: December 25, 2007, 11:04:21 PM »

Yesterday (Xmas Eve) and today I watched the repeat of the same program as yesterday ... A Rick Warren Xmas. He seems very genuine and he says a lot of good and amazing things. It was a wonderful program. I have tried to purchase his book "The Purpose Driven Life" because I'm so in tune with his message, but I have been driven away because of all the Jesus talk.

Is there any body out there who can help me go through The Purpose Driven Life while accepting that both of us are of different religions?

Thank you.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:32:14 PM »

Louise, I have the book if you have not yet found it.  I would be delighted to mail it to you.  I tried but I just couldn't get into it.  I'm sure someone else here has read it or done a bible study with it who may be able to help you. 

I missed the Christmas show although hearing you enjoyed it makes me wish I had caught it.  Perhaps this year....

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »

As a matter of fact, I have more books than sense so if someone would like to go thru the book with Louise and she already HAS a book, someone can still have mine.

I have a nice clean copy.  The offer is out there.   

Expect a miracle.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:17:20 PM »

Dear Peaches,

You are so kind. I was going to order the book from Amazon but checked in with the Monkeys first. I accept your offer with much gratitude. I would much rather have the book, knowing it belonged to you. Thank you so very much. 

I will send Klaas my address and she can send it to you.

I tried to purchase this book in the past and each time I looked at it online, it seemed so boring. I have struggled to find my purpose in life. Through AA, I think my purpose is to help others. They say a smile, a handshake or a hug could mean so much to one who is struggling with sobriety and/or any other mentally debilitating disease.

I want to give the book one more try. I know there is a God.

Much love,
xoxoxoxoxoxo
Louise

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:24:29 PM »

Dear Peaches,

You are so kind. I was going to order the book from Amazon but checked in with the Monkeys first. I accept your offer with much gratitude. I would much rather have the book, knowing it belonged to you. Thank you so very much. 

I will send Klaas my address and she can send it to you.

I tried to purchase this book in the past and each time I looked at it online, it seemed so boring. I have struggled to find my purpose in life. Through AA, I think my purpose is to help others. They say a smile, a handshake or a hug could mean so much to one who is struggling with sobriety and/or any other mentally debilitating disease.

I want to give the book one more try. I know there is a God.

Much love,
xoxoxoxoxoxo
Louise

It is my pleasure to do something nice for you, Louise.  I'll get the addy from Klaas and let you know when to watch your mail.  Love you, Louise. 

Expect a miracle.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:41:52 AM »

Dear Mama Louise:

Your book is officially in the mail.  I sent it yesterday afternoon via US Postal Service. 

God bless you and your study.  Shalom.

Expect a miracle.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »

Thank you so much, Peaches. I'm so looking forward to receiving it.

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 06:35:30 AM »

Louise, it was my pleasure to pass on a book to a dear friend who needs it!  Made me smile all day long. 

You may want to check your local paper for a church that may be running a Bible study on this book.  Or you may see an ad about a church that will be starting a new group in spring.   Seems I saw several church marquees about this around springtime last year.  That would give you a group to go thru the book with you.  You could provide a Jewish viewpoint.  You'd be surprised how many Protestants are confused about what you believe.  We're not all that different.  And God is the same.  Just a thought for you.....

Let me know when you have it in your hot little hands.  I think my mail guy said perhaps Saturday?  Oops, that's today.  Love ya, Louise.

Expect a miracle.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »

Dear Peaches,

I received the book today, Saturday, and I'm holding it in my hot little hands!  You're so cute! Thank you so very much. I loved what you said "Made me smile all day long." I know it feels very good to help others. That's what I want to do.

I looked at it briefly and now understand there is really not much difference between religions. All the messages are similar, with the theme that we need to seek God to have a fulfilled life. I apologize to anyone who I offended by saying "Jesus talk." It's all God talk. I need more God in my life.

AA has the same message ... we need to seek a higher power to have a fulfilled life. They have a rigorous Twelve Step Program which I can't quite buy into. I listen and learn from what others say who are wiser than I am. The last eleven months of attending AA meetings have awakened my desire for a more spiritual life. 

So, Peaches, I'm glad Rick Warren had that Christmas program which piqued my interest.  I am perfectly ripe for a book such as The Purpose Driven Life which has forty chapters to be read over forty days. I think I can do this.

Forty days is not such a long time and it has biblical references ... "Forty days and forty nights" describes the period for which rain fell during Noah's flood. I hope I'm right that this was a cleansing period.

Loving you, Peaches!

Louise

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »

CHAPTER ONE: WHAT ON EARTH AM I HERE FOR?

Rick Warren says to read the book topic by topic over 40 days. He wants me to read only one topic per day and meditate on it. The book is divided into six chapters with about seven topics per chapter, all of which add up to 40 days.

There is a covenant I had to sign in my book that says "With God's help, I commit 40 days of my life to discovering God's purpose for my life." The covenant is between me and Rick Warren. He suggests having a study partner but it is not necessary. You Monkeys will be my study partners if you wish to comment or not. I hope to take you through the book with 39 more posts.

He writes: "Today the average life span is 25,550 days. That's how long you will live if you are typical. Don't you think it would be a wise use of time to set aside 40 of those days to figure out what God wants you to do with the rest of them?" The bible is clear that God considers 40 days a spiritually significant time period.

God is not just the starting point of my life; he is the source of it.

"Blessed are those who trust in the Lord ... They are like trees planted along a riverbank with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green and they go right on producing delicious fruit." Jeremiah 17:7-8.

DAY ONE: THINKING ABOUT MY PURPOSE

Point to Ponder: It's not about me.

Verse to Remember: Everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him.

Question to Consider: In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

My Answer:
Dear God, Advertising did influence my early life. It has taken many years to get to the point where I don't need material things. I tried living without a purpose. I am now asking for your help to find my purpose which begins and ends with you, God. Amen.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »

I just noticed this thread.  Did you get through the book Louise?

I bought the cds and it took me six months to get through them.  Lots of stuff in there to think about.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »

Thank you, Whiskey for noticing this thread. I intended to read each chapter and post my thoughts, hoping to establish a dialog. However, since no one replied to my post from January I did not go any further. I value very much that Peaches send me her copy. I am disappointed with the rest of you for not noticing this thread for nine months. If you want to know about the book, read it yourselves. 

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.