March 28, 2024, 02:46:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trent Young, NYPD cop arrested for student's rape  (Read 9027 times)
Levi
Scared Monkey

« on: December 30, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »

BY DORIAN BLOCK, CHRISENA COLEMAN and RICH SCHAPIRO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Saturday, December 29th 2007, 4:00 AM

An NYPD cop moonlighting as a children's karate instructor was busted for raping a 14-year-old girl after making her sign an "oath of obedience," police said Friday.

Officer Trent Young, 39, had sex with his teenage student 20 to 40 times inside his Iron Tiger Martial Arts dojo in West Milford, N.J., and at his upstate home in Middletown, cops said.

The illegal trysts began last year after Young, who works out of Harlem's 26th Precinct, had the Middletown girl, now 15, sign an oath on receiving her green belt, police said. The pledge included the line: "Do you agree to be obedient to your instructor and obey his words?"

"He said to her, 'You have signed an oath of allegiance. Now I want you to disrobe,'" Middletown Police Lt. Patrick Freeman said.

The pervy cop - a married father of three children, including a 14-year-old daughter - then sexually abused the girl in his dojo's back room and over the next few weeks pressured her to have sex with him, police said.

This spring, Young told another student, a 15-year-old girl, to disrobe in front of him, but she refused, police said.

"He was using his position and his authority as an instructor and a sensei and the added credibility of being a police officer to manipulate them and intimidate them," Freeman said. "He took martial codes and twisted them to abuse these girls."

Young was arrested early Thursday as he was driving to the 26th Precinct stationhouse, police said.

He was charged with felony counts of second- and thirddegree rape and released yesterday after posting a $50,000 bond. Additional charges were pending.

The NYPD suspended Young.

Several parents brought their children to his karate school yesterday unaware that he had been arrested. A white piece of paper posted on the wooden door read: "No classes today, 1-2/28/2007."

"He's teaching children to defend themselves," said Mercedes DeBrecki, the mother of a 7-year-old girl. "I'm totally shocked."

SOURCE: http://tinyurl.com/2ppkab
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:15:55 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:09:40 PM »

Manhattan: Police Officer Faces Federal Charges
Published: January 8, 2008
A city police officer who was arrested last month on charges of raping a 14-year-old girl was charged in federal court on Monday with bringing her and a second teenage girl across state lines to engage in illegal sex, officials said. The officer, Trent Young, 39, had been a martial arts instructor to both victims and, on separate occasions in 2006 and 2007, took them from his hometown, Middletown, N.Y., to his martial arts school in New Jersey, according to a statement by the United States attorney’s office in Manhattan. Officer Young was arrested on Dec. 27 by the Middletown police. The second girl came forward on Jan. 3, according to a federal compliant. Officer Young was held without bail on Monday, officials said. Officer Young’s lawyer, Gary Greenwald, said, “His defense is it never happened.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/nyregion/08mbrfs-rape.html?ref=nyregion

******Looking for recent news, stay tuned

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »

United States Attorney
Southern District of New York     

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 9, 2008

REBEKAH CARMICHAEL
PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICE
(914) 993-1900, (212) 637-2600

NYPD OFFICER/MARTIAL ARTS INSTRUCTOR ARRAIGNED
IN FEDERAL COURT FOR TRANSPORTING MINORS FROM NEW YORK
TO NEW JERSEY FOR PURPOSES OF ILLEGAL SEX
MICHAEL J. GARCIA, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that TRENT YOUNG, 39, a New York City police officer, was arraigned this morning in White Plains federal court following his indictment last week on charges of transporting minors from New York to New Jersey for purposes of illegal sexual activity. According to the Indictment filed in White Plains federal court and a previously filed Complaint:

YOUNG transported minors on three separate occasions from Middletown, New York, to his martial arts studio in West Milford, New Jersey, and engaged in sexual activity with the minors. These victims, who are now 16 years old and 17 years old respectively, were both martial arts students of YOUNG’s.

In 2005, YOUNG required a victim ("Victim 1") to sign a document stating that Victim 1 would be obedient. That day, YOUNG stated that he was going to test Victim 1's obedience and told Victim 1 to take off her clothes. While undressed, YOUNG touched Victim 1's breasts. Thereafter, sexual activity, including intercourse, occurred between YOUNG and Victim 1 in Middletown, New York, and in West Milford, New Jersey, at YOUNG’s martial arts studio called “Iron Tiger.” Victim 2 began taking martial arts lessons from YOUNG in Middletown, New York, in or about March 2005, and several months later, YOUNG began to engage in sexual activities with Victim 2, including sexual intercourse.

Count One of the Indictment charges that, in or about the fall of 2006, YOUNG transported Victim 1 from Middletown, New York, to West Milford, New Jersey, for the purpose of engaging in sexual activity with Victim 1. Count Two charges YOUNG with the same conduct in or about September 2007. Count Three charges that, in or about the summer of 2006, YOUNG transported Victim 2 from Middletown, New York, to West Milford, New Jersey, for the purpose of engaging in sexual activity with Victim 2.

Following his arrest in January 2008, YOUNG was detained without bail and continues to be detained pending trial. The case was assigned to United States District Judge KENNETH M. KARAS, who scheduled an initial pre-trial conference for Tuesday, April 15, at noon.

If convicted, YOUNG faces on each of Counts 1 and 2 a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison and a maximum sentence of life in prison, and on Count 3 a mandatory sentence of 5 years and a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison

Mr. GARCIA said that the investigation is ongoing. Any individuals with relevant information should contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation ("FBI") in Goshen, New York, at (845) 615-1700.

Mr. GARCIA praised the efforts and assistance of the FBI, the Middletown Police Department, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office, the Rockland County Sheriff’s Department, the West Milford, New Jersey, Police Department, and the Passaic County Prosecutor’s Office.

Assistant United States Attorney MARCIA S. COHEN is in charge of the prosecution.

The charges contained in the Complaint and the Indictment are merely accusations, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

08-087

http://newyork.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel08/transportingminors040908.htm

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:15:02 PM »

[PDF] Young Indictment

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nys/pressreleases/April08/youngindictmentpr.pdf

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »

WEST MILFORD - Sex case hinges on judge's evidence ruling
December 17, 2008

WEST MILFORD - Trent Young, who was master of a karate dojo in this township, may have caught a big break in the case in which he is accused of transporting teenage girls across state lines to have sex.

Young, 40, faces federal charges that allege he thrice transported teenage girls – who were karate students of his, ages 14 and 15 at the time – across state lines from his home in Middletown, N.Y., to his dojo in West Milford to individually have sex with them on separate occasions.

Originally arrested by the Middletown Police on rape charges on Dec. 27, 2007, Young then became a target of the FBI, which arrested him and took over the case on Jan. 3, 2008 due to the interstate nature of the alleged offenses.

If convicted, Young faces a mandatory sentence of 10 years in prison for the initial two counts of transporting the first alleged victim across state lines for sex. He also faces a mandatory minimum five-year prison sentence and a maximum of 30 years in prison on the third count of allegedly transporting the second alleged victim across state lines for sex.

A New York Police Department officer working out of the 26th Precinct at the time of his arrest, Young had also been a schoolteacher in New York City for seven years.

Middletown Police alleged last year that Young began his separate sexual relations with the two karate students when they individually attained green belt status. In a promotion ceremony, Young would allegedly coerce the girls into disrobing in a private room with him, and then have them sign an oath of loyalty, according to the Middletown Police’s arrest warrant for Young.

Middletown authorities alleged that he later had sex with the girls on numerous occasions at his Iron Tiger Martial Arts Dojo on Cahill Cross Road in West Milford and at his home dojo in Middletown.

Last Tuesday, Dec. 10, in U.S. District Court in White Plains, N.Y., Judge Kenneth Karas said during a pre-trial evidence suppression hearing that he would like more information from the prosecuting and defense attorneys regarding the admissibility of evidence against Young before making his decision.

Another pre-trial conference is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 29, 2009.

The crux of the controversy is the allegation that the Middletown police, after arresting and interrogating Young, violated his civil rights by continuing to question him after he requested an attorney. Young’s defense attorney, Gary Greenwald, argues that all evidence obtained by the Middletown Police – including computer and camera equipment – should be suppressed.

Greenwald told the press after last Tuesday’s hearing that a Middletown detective admitted in court that he tried to convince Young to take a polygraph test after he had already requested an attorney, and “you can’t do much better than that” to prove that the Middletown Police violated Young’s rights.

Last Thursday, Greenwald told Suburban Trends that he estimates that after the Jan. 29 hearing, a trial date will be scheduled for Young in March or April 2009.

Greenwald said that the Middletown Police Department’s alleged questioning of Young after he requested an attorney is more than a procedural error, but a “constitutional error.”

“It’s not a minor thing. They kept asking the gentleman questions, which they should have stopped doing,” said Greenwald. “If we’re successful, it will clearly weaken their case.”

Greenwald was asked last year by Suburban Trends what his main defense strategy would be. He said last Thursday that the strategy hasn’t changed, and that his main argument will be that the acts his client is accused of did not occur.

“There’s no forensic evidence that we’re aware of,” said Greenwald. “The only evidence appears to be the uncorroborated testimony of two ladies.”

Because the court action is ongoing, some actors in the case are tightlipped as a precaution against influencing the case.

The FBI has not returned repeated phone calls from this newspaper.

The prosecutor, Assistant U.S. Attorney Marcia Cohen, office has no statement about the case at this time, said Herb Hadad, press officer of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in New York State’s southern district.

Middletown Police Chief Matthew Byrne said, “I will await the judge’s decision before I can make a detailed comment. I stand by the actions of the detectives. They are professionals and they do understand that while they’re trying to conduct an investigation, they certainly are observant of individual rights.

“It’s an ongoing trial at this point and I’ll await the decision of the judge,” added Byrne.

Young has been incarcerated for almost a year now in Westchester County jail in Valhalla, N.Y., but his attorney is making an attempt to bail him out soon.

“It’s very possible we will be making a bail application in short order,” said Greenwald.

Background
Young was first arrested over this case on Dec. 27, 2007 by the Middletown Police who charged Young with second and third degree rape.

Middletown Police said their investigation of Young began on Dec. 21, 2007 when a 15-year-old female, who had been a student of Young’s since the summer of 2004, came forward with sexual assault allegations.

She alleged that after she signed an oath of obedience upon reaching green belt status in 2005, Young took her to another room and had her remove all her clothes. While the girl was naked, Young sexually abused her, police said.

The police further alleged that after the sexual abuse, Young allowed the girl to put her clothes back on and told her the experience was part of the test. He then pressured the girl about sex until they began a sexual relationship in 2006, alleged the Middletown Police in December 2007.

Young and the victim then had sex between 20 and 40 times in various locations, including the dojo in West Milford and at his home in Middletown, until October 2007, said police.

Lt. Patrick Freeman of the Middletown Police Department said last year that in the course of the investigation, a second 15-year-old female victim was found who made similar allegations, but she did not comply with Young’s alleged request to disrobe in the spring of 2007.

“Their stories matched,” said Freeman last December. “We have no doubt that these things took place as indicated.”

On Jan. 3, 2008 Young was arrested again, this time by the FBI, after a third girl who was also former karate student came forward and alleged that Young had committed interstate offenses.

http://www.suburbantrends.com/NC/0/1829.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »

Updated: January 10, 2008

Feds add charges against karate instructor

GOSHEN, NY — The New York City policeman already charged with raping a then-14-year-old student at his martial arts school has now been accused by federal prosecutors of crossing state lines for sex with that girl and another.

Trent Young, who ran the Iron Tiger Martial Arts School in Bald Eagle Commons, had been free on bail on the original Orange County rape charge brought against him last week.

He was re-arrested by federal prosecutors and ordered held by federal Magistrate Judge George Yanthis at federal court in White Plains.

U.S. Attorney Michael Garcia said Young, of Middletown, had transported the two minors from his home to his school in West Milford, N.J., and had sex with them there. The federal charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison, he said.

Young’s attorney, Gary Greenwald said his client’s defense is that ``it never happened.’’

Young, 39, was arrested in Middletown last month for raping the teen by telling her sex was part of the martial arts program, police said. He tried to get a second 15-year-old out of her clothes, but she refused, they said.

A third teenager, now 17, came forward after the arrest and said she, too, had engaged in sex with Young while a student at his school in 2005 and 2006.

Orange County District Attorney Frank Phillips has been quoted as saying the Middletown charges will most likely be dropped to avoid double jeopardy with the federal case and because the federal penalties are more severe.

Young has been with the New York Police Department for nine years and worked in the 26th Precinct in upper Manhattan. He has been suspended.

Anyone with information should contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Goshen, New York at 845-615-1700.
 http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2008/01/11/west_milford_messenger/news/3.txt

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:12:07 AM »

West Milford martial arts instructor gains sex-assault sentencing postponement
Thursday, September 23, 2010
BY HANNAN ADELY
The Record
STAFF WRITER

A former New York City police officer and West Milford martial arts instructor who plead guilty to bringing teenage girls across state lines to have sex now faces sentencing April 29.

Trent Young’s defense attorney Amy Attias requested a six-month adjournment in September because Young was being treated for advanced-stage cancer, she wrote in a letter to U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas.

Young, a police officer for nine years and a popular martial arts teacher, pleaded guilty in July 2009 to three counts of transporting a minor with the intent to engage in sexual activity. Two of the girls were his students and one was from Brooklyn, the neighborhood where he was raised.

He brought them to his West Milford studio and to a studio in his Middletown, N.Y., home. The girls were 14, 15 and 16 years old.

This week, Karas set Young's sentencing for 2 p.m. April 29 in the White Plains, N.Y., federal courthouse. He faces a minimum of 25 years and a maximum of 30 years plus two life sentences for the three counts combined.

The sentencing had been postponed several times already, even before health issues were raised. Attias had requested adjournments so Young could undergo psychological testing, which she said would create “a complete picture” of a man who was abused as a child.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/West_Milford_martial_arts_instructor_gains_sex-assault_sentencing_postponement.html

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:04:18 AM »

I never thought I would be glad someone had advanced-stage cancer . . .

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.