March 28, 2024, 07:46:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CRUISE SHIP - MISSING PERSONS, News, etc...  (Read 199877 times)
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2012, 03:35:25 AM »

Somehow the cruise ship article duplicated in the copy process.  Will you edit the article as well? Thanks. Done. MB
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:21:01 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Challapalca him!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »

Ship fall woman to be identified

(UKPA) – 5 hours ago 

Authorities are waiting to identify a body found by rescuers searching for a British woman who fell overboard from a cruise ship in the Atlantic.

The passenger was reported missing on the Aurora as it sailed from the Spanish city La Coruna to Barcelona, P&O Cruises said.

The ship's crew were alerted and ordered an immediate search for the woman, who has not yet been named.

Cruise ship Thomson Spirit, which was en route to Cadiz, was reported to have joined in the search off the coast of Portugal, north west of Lisbon.

It is understood that passengers were informed of the discovery of the body through an announcement from the ship's captain, Ian Hutley.

Formal identification is not expected to take place until early next week, a spokeswoman for P&O Cruises said.

Authorities and P&O Cruises' care team are now providing assistance for the missing woman's family, the cruise operator said.
 ::snipping2::  more
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h3RBYzxrtQT4MleYtwyMWhyujAQg?docId=N0486321348944039261A

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »

42 Year Old Jason Gregory Rappe of Olympia, WA Missing Aboard the Holland America Cruise Ship Eurodam Traveling from St. Thomas to Bahamas

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2012/12/01/42-year-old-jason-gregory-rappe-of-olympia-wa-missing-aboard-the-holland-america-cruise-ship-eurodam-traveling-from-st-thomas-usvi-to-the-bahamas/

Looks like another passenger has gone overboard.

42 year old Jason Gregory Rappe of Olympia, WA has gone missing aboard the Holland America Cruise Ship Eurodam. It is believed that Rappe went overboard.  He was reported missing by his wife Thursday. The Eurodam was traveling from St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands to the Bahamas when Rappe was reported missing.  A search has begun for missing Jason Gregory Rappe.  The Coast Guard activated a helicopter crew based out of the Air Station Borinquen on Puerto Rico and diverted the cutters Nantucket, a 110-foot patrol boat based in San Juan, and Decisive, a 210-foot cutter based in Pascagoula, MS, to search for Rappe.
::snipping2::
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »

Thanks Red!  Sad...   

Passenger Missing From HAL's Eurodam Cruise Ship - Why Do All HAL Overboard Cases Remain Mysteries?

Posted on November 29, 2012 by Jim Walker

Multiple news sources are reporting that a passenger has gone overboard in the Caribbean earlier this morning. The passenger, age 42, is from Washington and was traveling with his wife.

The passenger's wife reportedly discovered her husband missing from the Holland America Line (HAL) cruise ship Eurodam.  The U.S. Coast Guard said that, according to HAL, a baseball cap was located on one of the decks that was allegedly confirmed by the wife of the missing passenger as belonging to him. The ship was sailing from St. Thomas (U.S. Virgin Islands) to the Bahamas when the man disappeared early today.

The Coast Guard issued a statement that it was conducting a search after being notified of the incident at 5:00 AM. Two Coast Guard ships and a helicopter have been dispatched to search for the passenger, whose name has not been released.

HAL issued a statement that the cruise ship turned around at some point and has joined the search for the missing passenger. The ship left Fort Lauderdale, Florida on Saturday for a seven-day cruise.

You can read about prior recent disappearances from HAL cruise ships:
The Veendam just last month.
The Oosterdam involving a young man.
The Maasdam involving an elderly man.
The Zaandam involving a young woman.

The overboard from the Zaandam revealed a lack of credibility by HAL's PR department.

HAL has had 5 passengers overboard from its cruise ships in just the last couple of years. All remain mysteries.

As best as I can tell, there has never been a determination regarding the cause of any of the HAL over-boards and there has never been a case where HAL admitted that it had closed circuit television (CCTV) images of what happened.

It's disturbing that people can somehow just disappear on the high seas with no explanation and no video of what happened.  You'd think that the cruise line would revamp its security systems when not one single overboard has been solved in the last three years. It also raises the issue whether HAL is being transparent with the public.

November 30, 2012 Update: The missing passenger has been identified in the press as Jason Gregory Rappe. HAL issued a statement to the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel newspaper, which you can read here.The statement is silent regarding when the wife reported her husband missing to the cruise line and when the cruise line notified the Coast Guard.  In recent overboard cases, the cruise lines have delayed as long as several hours before notifying the Coast Guard.

December 1, 2012: The Eurodam returns to Fort Lauderdale this morning and the FBI should be boarding the cruise ship. At the same time, over two thousand passengers will disembark and begin to head home.  If you were on the cruise and have information about Mr. Rappe's disappearance, please leave a comment. If you have any questions, you may contact me directly - jim@cruiselaw.com     

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/south-florida-travel/2012/11/30/man-missing-from-holland-americas-ms-eurodam-cruise-ship/

Man missing from Holland America’s ms Eurodam cruise ship
by: Arlene Satchell November 30th, 2012 | 4:49 PM

Here’s the statement from Holland America about the incident:

Seattle, Nov. 29, 2012

At 3:30 am local time this morning, a 42-year-old male guest sailing on ms Eurodam was reported missing by his wife.  The ship contacted the U.S. Coast Guard, turned around and coordinated with the Coast Guard to assist in the search for the man, who is a U.S. citizen. Eurodam was released at 4:00 pm local time by the USCG and is now proceeding to Fort Lauderdale for an on-time arrival Dec. 1. The ship departed St. Thomas yesterday at 5:00 pm local time and was en route to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, where a call was originally scheduled for tomorrow but has now been cancelled. Our thoughts and prayers are with the guest and his family.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »

I believe Jason Rappe is on the left in this picture with his wife and brother last month.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=566545723362404&set=a.161983437151970.37594.100000209441757&type=1

Eric Erockthepay Rappe Jason, Tine and I at their o'fest party a month ago.
10 hours ago · 1

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »

Jason Rappe's Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/jason.rappe.35

His wife's Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/mariechristine.starnesrappe

Article his brother wrote about him...

http://erockthepay.com/2012/07/09/true-steelers-fan/

True Steelers Fan
Posted on July 9, 2012

I have posted in the past about my brother Jason and his fight with cancer. Well we are all praying that this is a fight he has won, and in typical Jason fashion he has done it with style. For any of you who are new to my blog or have not read the posts about him I will repeat some of the story.

On Jason’s 40th birthday he started to have some trouble seeing our of his right eye. At first it was just a blurry spot, and we all joked that it was from the large amount of beer that was being poured down his neck that night. After several weeks of this problem he decided to get it checked out by a doctor.

Cancer is a word that I never thought was even possible to hear in relation to him. He is my big brother and there is nothing in the world that could hurt him. As strange as it sounds, this may have been true.

Jason went thru several laser treatments to try to “fry” the cancer out. When this did not work they told him that his other option was to remove the eye completely. I am sure that this was a difficult decision, and again in big brother fashion he never let on how tough it must have been, but he decided that it was better to lose an eye than to lose a battle against cancer.

When the operation was done and fittings started to happen for a prosthetic he asked if he could get one with the symbol for the Pittsburgh Steelers on it. As I understand it there was some argument from the doctors who explained that the prosthetics looked very real and he could go thru life with most people never knowing he even lost an eye at all. Jason did not care. If he was going to have a fake eye, he was going to do it in style. A couple of weeks ago he showed up at my house with his new eye finally in place. He had won the argument. I hope that everyone will share this post. I want it to be seen by everyone. Even in the face of life changing diversity, my brother acted like a true Steelers fan, and a complete rock star.

The pictures that I am including are real. it is not Photoshop, or a contact. this is the eye My brother wears every day of his life. I respect the hell out of his strength, and his sense of humor. I love him for the fact that in a situation that would have wrecked me, he made a stand. He doesn’t want to hide what happened, he only wants to show his love for the Pittsburgh Steelers in a way that most never could.

Please share this post. Please comment on here so he can see the support that people have for his brave decision, and his loyalty to his team. Please let the world know that Jason is a true member of Steeler Nation!

Picture link:

http://erockthepay.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/577375_498355366848107_74530921_n.jpg

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »

Other blog articles Eric Rappe wrote about his brother, Jason.

http://erockthepay.com/2012/04/03/jason-part-3/

http://erockthepay.com/2012/04/01/jasonpart-2/

http://erockthepay.com/2012/03/20/my-hero-jason/

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2012, 03:34:32 PM »

So sad.  Wonder if his cancer returned anyway? 
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »

So sad.  Wonder if his cancer returned anyway? 

Yes it is, and I wondered about that too.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22473441
Cruise passengers fall overboard off Australia
May 9, 2013

An air and sea search is continuing off the Australian coast for a man and a woman who appear to have fallen from a cruise ship on Wednesday night.
A surveillance camera on the Carnival Spirit showed the pair plunging from the mid deck, about 120km (75 miles) off the coastal city of Forster.

They were only discovered missing after the vessel docked in Sydney, some 300km south of Forster, on Thursday morning.

It is unclear if the two jumped or fell by accident.

The authorities say an aeroplane, a helicopter and boats are searching a 1,000 sq km (386 sq miles) area of the sea.

The 26-year-old woman and the 30-year-old man are believed to have been in the water since 20:50 local time on Wednesday (11:50 GMT).

The vessel's last stop before Sydney was Mare Island in New Caledonia on Monday.

Nearly 2,700 passengers were aboard the ship on a South Pacific Cruise.

The vessel is operated by Carnival Cruise Lines.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »

I truly do not know how anyone could fall off of a cruise ship unless they were drunk or being careless.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2013, 03:48:43 PM »

I truly do not know how anyone could fall off of a cruise ship unless they were drunk or being careless.

It does sound very suspicious to me, Cookie.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-09/search-on-for-two-missing-from-cruise-ship/4680056
Search on for two missing from cruise ship
May 9, 2013

Photo:  Two police officers check for fingerprints on the balcony of a cabin on the Carnival Spirit. (AFP: William West)

CCTV footage showed 30-year-old Paul Rossington and 27-year-old Kristen Schroder going overboard from the Carnival Spirit about 60 nautical miles off the coast of Forster on Wednesday night.

The couple had been holidaying with family on the 10-day cruise, and were reported missing yesterday morning when the ship docked at Circular Quay in Sydney.

Mark Hutchings from the NSW Police Marine Area Command says it is unclear whether the pair jumped or fell.

"It does depict a person going over and then a short time [later] another person going over. We can't tell from the footage which is which," he said.

He said search teams were "still holding out hope" the pair would be found alive, but added "it's getting more and more difficult as time goes on".

Mr Rossington is a paramedic with the NSW Ambulance Service.

In a statement the service said it was supporting Mr Rossington's colleagues and its thoughts were with the pair's families and friends.

Search and rescue boats have spent the night scouring an area spanning about 500 square nautical miles.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2013, 09:41:53 PM »

An interesting site I came across: 

http://cruisejunkie.com/

cruisejunkie dot com

YOUR RESOURCE FOR
THE OTHER INFORMATION
ABOUT THE CRUISE INDUSTRY

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/10/world/asia/australia-missing-cruise-passengers/index.html
Search ends for 2 passengers believed to have fallen off cruise ship
May 10, 2013

(CNN) -- After scouring hundreds of miles of waters off Australia's coast, authorities on Friday called off a search for two cruise ship passengers who are believed to have fallen overboard.
The 30-year-old man and 27-year-old woman were reported missing when the Carnival Cruise ship Spirit docked in Sydney on Thursday morning, CNN affiliate Seven Network reported. The first clue came when they didn't claim their luggage.
Maritime officers reviewed surveillance video from the ship and determined that Paul Rossington and Kristen Schroder went overboard Wednesday night. Authorities believe the couple fell about 150 kilometers (93 miles) off Foster, New South Wales.
"We believe that they were up mid-deck, which is halfway up the side of the ship, which is quite a way to fall," said Detective Superintendent Mark Hutchings of the New South Wales Police Marine Area Command.

Late Friday afternoon, New South Wales police said they called off the search after finding no sign of the couple. The search, involving an Australian navy ship, the police force's marine unit and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, covered 1,360 square nautical miles, they said.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2013, 05:57:48 AM »

"Cruise Widow" Jennifer Hagel Smith to Remarry

http://www.cruisewatch.net/articles/view/7698-andquotcruise-widowandquot-jennifer-hagel-smith-to-remarry.html

Woman Widowed on Honeymoon Cruise Dares to Love Again
August 6, 2009 11:48 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-5211648-504083.html

I think she settled too quickly  Just Saying
I saw her a few my ago she looks different now  her hair is brown

http://www.cbs.com/shows/48_hours/video  George Smith
48 Hours
Murder at Sea? S25 Ep36 (42:59)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:11:58 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »

Jennifer Hagel Smith and Royal Caribbean Reach Settlement in Missing Honeymooner George Smith case

http://missingexploited.com/2006/06/29/jennifer-hagel-smith-and-royal-caribbean-reach-settlement-in-missing-honeymooner-george-smith/

In a rather stunning development Jennifer Hagel Smith, the wife of missing honeymooner George Allen Smith IV has reached a settlement with Royal Caribbean Cruise line. The terms of the settlement are subject to approval by a Connecticut probate court.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/15/fbi-to-reportedly-review-2005-honeymoon-cruise-ship-death/?test=latestnews

FBI to reportedly review 2005 honeymoon cruise ship death

Published May 15, 2013

FBI officials are reportedly reviewing the 2005 death of a Connecticut newlywed who disappeared on his honeymoon cruise.

George Allen Smith IV, 26, of Greenwich, was celebrating his marriage aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise when he vanished somewhere between Greece and Turkey on July 5, 2005. His body never has been recovered, NBCNewYork.com reports.

George Smith Sr. said Monday that relatives were elated that authorities are investigating the case again. Smith's mother said the search for answers has been an ongoing nightmare.

"The last eight years have been horrific actually," Maureen Smith told the website. "Not only losing our son, trying to find out what happened to him."

Royal Caribbean officials have said Smith’s disappearance followed a night of heavy drinking. His wife was found unconscious on a floor far the couple’s cabin.

Smith’s relatives, however, believe he was murdered. Several pieces of evidence, including bloodstains in the cabin and loud sounds heard that night, indicate foul play, they claim.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/fire-breaks-out-aboard-cruise-ship-florida-6C10086722
Fire breaks out aboard cruise ship off Florida
May 27, 2013

A fire broke out early Monday aboard a cruise ship off the Florida coast, the U.S. Coast Guard confirmed.

The fire was contained to a small area of the Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas and had been put out early Monday morning, the agency said.

Responders were using equipment onboard the ship to put out the fire as opposed to battling it from a cutter, the agency said.

There were no reported injuries, the Coast Guard said.

Officials said the fire was contained to the third deck - out of 11 - on the 916-foot ship.

It was categorized as a “Class A” fire, which means it broke out in solid combustible materials such as wood or plastic and did not involve fuel or other flammable liquids, the Coast Guard said.

The ship radioed for assistance, the Coast Guard station in Lake Worth, Fla., said, declining to give further specifics.

NBC affiliate WPTV reported that another cruise ship, the Carnival Sensation, had been put on standby to help the ship in case of evacuations.

The Grandeur of the Seas was recently given a $48 million refurbishment and was based in Baltimore, according to the Royal Caribbean website.

The 74,000-ton ship, carrying 2,224 passengers and 796 crew members, was on its way to Coco Cay, Bahamas, when the fire broke out, Royal Caribbean Cruises said in a statement.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »

http://www.khou.com/news/Man-charged-with-tossing-wife-off-cruise-ship-211978011.html
Man charged with strangling wife, tossing her off cruise ship
June 18, 2013

SANTA ANA, Calif.—A California grand jury has indicted a Florida man on charges he strangled his ex-wife and tossed her off a cruise ship in Italy.
The Orange County Register says 55-year-old Lonnie Kocontes, of Safety Harbor, Fla., didn’t enter a plea at his arraignment Monday. He was indicted Friday on a charge of murder for financial gain.
He’ll try to have the case dismissed at a June 26 hearing, arguing that local authorities lack jurisdiction to prosecute.
Kocontes and 52-year-old Micki Kanesaki were divorced but had lived together on and off in Mission Viejo. They were sharing a cabin on a 2006 cruise when she went overboard. Her body later washed ashore.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.