May 28, 2024, 02:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #10 1/23 - 6/12/2008  (Read 243209 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »

Good grief!!!   It is cold here again today.   For all those who put some credence in The Farmer's Almanac I am proof that it sure was wrong this year.  We were suppose to have one of our mildest winters on record.  Well we have had triple the amount of snow/precipitation and have been colder than I can remember in several decades.  When I see the reports of the "groundhog" I don't care if it is an early spring or 6 more weeks of winter from February 2nd.  We have never had spring weather until the middle of April anyway and at any time.  This year I am positive that the ice will not be off the lakes and certainly not the trout streams for opening fishing season which is the first Saturday in May.  I can remember the craziness of my youth.  Fishing season opened and we sat in aluminum canoes on the rivers with ice chunks bouncing off the sides of the boat.  This year we can just drill a hole and not worry about the boats. 

I enjoyed several days in Florida where they set new record highs on three of the days last week.  My vision now is looking forward to the beginning of April when we head for Puerto Vallarta.  I can get sunburned all over again. 

I have never been ice fishing.  That would be a new experience.  I saw a small cartoon that showed a man bow ice fishing.  There was a little hole in the nice, and he had a bow in his hands, aiming at the little hole.  And lots and lots of arrows around on the ice.  I like to eat fish.  What kind of fish are caught when ice fishing? 

GO ~  I hope the trip you have planned to beautiful, warm Puerto Vallarta will sustain you through the next couple of cold months.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2008, 01:48:17 AM »

Ordering Pizza in year 2020   

Click here http://aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:54:53 AM by Observer » Logged

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2008, 08:27:23 AM »

Muffy, you can catch just about any type of fish, while ice fishing, that you normally would during any other time of the year.  The bait changes of course, but other than that not much changes.  I have never seen anyone fish with a bow and arrow but I suppose it is possible.  I am not sure what the regulations are about that sort of thing.  We have just closed the Sturgeon spearing season on Lake Winnebago this last weekend.  It is a controlled fishing season where you need to register the fish you take and when a set number are reached the season closes.  Lake Winnebago has the largest Sturgeon population outside of Russia.

Fishing on the ice really does not need to be a cold venture.  In our weather the ice gets to be up to 24 inches thick on some lakes.  It takes approximately 6-8 inch thick ice to support a vehicle.  So you see an entire parking lot out in the middle of some lakes.  Those fishing will often take some sort of shelter out on the ice and place it there for the season.  Some get to be pretty elaborate.  Most if not all have heaters in them.  Many take portable tv sets and other appliances and stay out all day.  No, the heat does not melt the ice.  Remember that hot air rises.  They build benches a couple of feet above the floor surface and the heat rises.  There are openings in the floor to allow fishing through the hole in the ice and the venting on the bottom allows the outside air to continually blow over the ice.  While I do not fish in the winter, it is not as bad as it sounds.  Of course, there are still a very few die hards that brave the weather and just sit out on a stool next to a drilled hole, but they are not all that common.

For many, this is not just for sport.  It is a source of food to supplement what they buy. 

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2008, 09:11:05 AM »

Great Owl  I can't even imagine coming home to a 130 degree temp. change.  Wow!!  Hubby and I would love to go ice fishing someday.  That would be sooooo much fun.  Hope you have a wonderful trip to Puertp Vallerta.  It'll be here before ya know it.

Muffy the big day is March 8th.  It's so exciting, and we're so happy.  I'll try to figure out how to start a thread about the wedding day.  We've been here so long we're all like family, but I know some read here that I would not want them to have any of my familys pictures in their hands.  I'll figure out how to share with everyone without taking that risk.

******* unfortunately that's what it's coming to.  Already is in a way.  Big brothers got his nose in too much of our business.  Pretty scary.

Well I gotta get this house cleaned up.  I got company coming to teach me how to dance. lol  Oh man.

Ya'll have a wonderful day.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2008, 01:00:37 PM »

Klaas ~  Would you please indicate "Body Found" on Lance Bossie's thread, in Missing Persons?  Nut44x4 updated with a post, indicating his body has been found.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2008, 02:23:04 PM »

Well I'm back and I signed in hoping I'd see GO posting, just so he'd know what happened to me when I ventured even close to his neck of the woods 

Look at this GO, within 12 hours of my landing at my destination, this was my view from my rental car window 

Yup, it snows up your way, the temp was 11 degrees and I lost my car in the client parking lot it snowed so fast and so much. I thought my face would burn/fall off just trying to find my car.........at one point I thought the headline might read "poor lonely woman found frozen to her rolling briefcase in financial services parking lot"

I continue to stand with the girl.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2008, 06:13:10 PM »

Klaas have we been having problems today?  I have been locked out for the past 5 hours.  The normal sign on screen would not accept my password.   I finally found an alternative log in method.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »

none, I don't think you want to travel another 250 miles north.  I know exactly what you mean by the burning face comment.  It is common during this time of year.  Those who have never experienced "wind chill" dismiss it.  It is real and far more dangerous than the actual temperature or the same number. 

The only thing I can compare it too for others is to imagine dropping a basketball on your hand and then compare that to dropping a weight of the same amount only with a needle hitting the hand first.  It is the concentration of pressure into one area that causes the extreme pain.

I am very glad you successfully found your car.  It was not a matter of being uncomfortable, it can become real life and death if you can't get out of that cold and wind.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2008, 09:15:48 PM »

Owl... I will talk to Red and DUGGA - I just got your email.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2008, 09:20:26 PM »

thanks, I found a way in but only one of the browsers will work now and then not in the usual way.

I had to use the sign in on the bottom of the page.   It only works with Safari and I am not sure that will be consistent

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »

Hi Mrs !!

GO - you are correct, actually it was below 0 with the wind chill/lake effect and I resorted to swiping off the snow from license plates to find my rental. Rentals don't have push buttons for doors, or at least mine never do, so no way to hit an alarm or lights button to find it either? I can admit now for it scared me so badly at the time, that I felt my heart slow to a crawl and I was feeling so sleepy/tired I was about to give up? I think I was showing signs of hypothermia.

That client has parking lots the size of football fields, that will never happen to me again, I wrote down what row I was in moving forward !!

Everyone have a great weekend, I'm packing and loading up for Goodwill !

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »

Hi Mrs !!

GO - you are correct, actually it was below 0 with the wind chill/lake effect and I resorted to swiping off the snow from license plates to find my rental. Rentals don't have push buttons for doors, or at least mine never do, so no way to hit an alarm or lights button to find it either? I can admit now for it scared me so badly at the time, that I felt my heart slow to a crawl and I was feeling so sleepy/tired I was about to give up? I think I was showing signs of hypothermia.

That client has parking lots the size of football fields, that will never happen to me again, I wrote down what row I was in moving forward !!

Everyone have a great weekend, I'm packing and loading up for Goodwill !

all of us have had that experience of wandering around a mall parking lot, or a stadium parking lot and and feeling embarrassed that we forgot where we parked our car.  When at Epcot this past week it was comical watching people come out into that huge lot with their hand held above their head trying to get their car to beep.   

In this weather there is nothing funny about freezing to death.  In those wind chills you have approximately 10 - 12 minutes before exposed skin become frost bitten.  It takes almost that long in a large lot even if you know where your car is.  There is nothing comical about that. 

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2008, 07:50:08 PM »

Well, it has warmed up to almost 20 degrees this evening.  The forecast is for us to have a storm beginning this evening through tomorrow.  We are suppose to get a foot of snow this evening on top of first a sleet and ice storm.  Then the winds are suppose to pick up and create a blizzard.

Parking lot snow banks are 12-15 feet high now and even many of the driveways are like tunnels.  Those that do not have snow blowers are shoveling and having to throw the snow up over banks that are 6-7 feet high.   

I live in the city but we have a woods behind the house.  It was sunny this afternoon and there were all sorts of wildlife moving around.  At one point there were 6 deer roaming just off the back yard.  Later as the sun set and shone on the tree branches it looked a bit like ornaments on them.  There was a flock of bright red cardinals bouncing around on the branches.  It was something to see.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #213 on: February 16, 2008, 08:27:13 PM »

Well, it has warmed up to almost 20 degrees this evening.  The forecast is for us to have a storm beginning this evening through tomorrow.  We are suppose to get a foot of snow this evening on top of first a sleet and ice storm.  Then the winds are suppose to pick up and create a blizzard.

Parking lot snow banks are 12-15 feet high now and even many of the driveways are like tunnels.  Those that do not have snow blowers are shoveling and having to throw the snow up over banks that are 6-7 feet high.   

I live in the city but we have a woods behind the house.  It was sunny this afternoon and there were all sorts of wildlife moving around.  At one point there were 6 deer roaming just off the back yard.  Later as the sun set and shone on the tree branches it looked a bit like ornaments on them.  There was a flock of bright red cardinals bouncing around on the branches.  It was something to see.

Ahhh.  That must have been something.  I've never seen a whole flock of cardinals.  Must have been beautiful, against snowy, white background....

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »

Yes, we have a great deal of beauty in our climate.  You just need to know how to live here.  I do get tired of having to stay indoors for such long periods of time because of the cold.  However, the office I use here at the computer has three large windows that look out over the scene.

I just wish our springs and falls were a bit longer.  Winter is usually close to six months.  It isn't bad if the sun is out, but we can go for weeks without seeing the sun.  Tomorrow in the blizzard we will be lucky to see the end of the back yard.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2008, 11:13:19 PM »

Klaasend I posted 2 songs in Music in the    
Re: Just Another Day in Parodies
thread. If you find anything about them in poor taste please feel free to delete, thanks. BB

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2008, 11:15:38 PM »

Klaas one more thing, Missing Person :Anthony Dashner, body has been recovered. ty

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2008, 08:47:47 AM »

GO - the snow up your way is beautiful, you get far more than where I'm offsite working now, but you are right - it can be dangerous. I have to fly back early tomorrow morning, haven't checked the weather yet but I did pick up some better clothing items to keep me warm just in case.

I've sold my home and moving next week to my new one, it backs up to 700 acres of undeveloped property. I was over checking on the carpet installation and landscaping yesterday afternoon, sure enough their were deer standing in the trees as twilight arrived? I think I"ll have to be careful to plant items they don't like to eat ! 

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2008, 09:22:18 AM »

GO - the snow up your way is beautiful, you get far more than where I'm offsite working now, but you are right - it can be dangerous. I have to fly back early tomorrow morning, haven't checked the weather yet but I did pick up some better clothing items to keep me warm just in case.

I've sold my home and moving next week to my new one, it backs up to 700 acres of undeveloped property. I was over checking on the carpet installation and landscaping yesterday afternoon, sure enough their were deer standing in the trees as twilight arrived? I think I"ll have to be careful to plant items they don't like to eat ! 

I sure hope you are not in Chicago because if you are you are not going anywhere today.  The ice storm and storm coming up this way is unbelievable.  I put the spike attachment onto the tip of my cane today just to be able to walk down the driveway to get the paper.  It took a long time only taking 6 inch steps.

cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2008, 12:25:39 PM »

Yep nonesie, be careful what you plant. I take pains planting various seeds, bulbs and young plants in my flower gardens and nothing is more disheartening than watching them start to sprout and waking up one morning to find them munched off about an inch or so from the soil.....

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.