June 07, 2024, 07:09:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #10 1/23 - 6/12/2008  (Read 243918 times)
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #700 on: April 27, 2008, 07:45:24 PM »

Klass,

We replaced our wood floor front porch about 8 years ago with concrete. We wanted to tile it but I was afraid of our cold temperatures breaking the tile. So I researched on the internet to find something we could do with concrete decorating.

I found a place called the Stamp store in Oklahoma and they showed lots of acid staining and gave directions on how to do it. I printed out the directions and called them and ordered a sample bottle of all their colors. We practiced a little in our basement to make sure this was something we really wanted to do before ordering a large bottle as well as the sealer.

So after pouring and smoothing the concrete we let it sit for a day or so and then cut lines into it to make it resemble a tile floor. Then we scrubbed it and scrubbed it some more before the actual staining. Husband applied the stain with a small pump style yard sprayer.  He did the cola color first then the tortoise shell I had a hard time convincing him it was ok to let the black splatter into the cola color.

We have an old home built 1917. I did not want this to look new but to look like it might have been here forever. After the stain set for a day or so we scrubbed it again with ammonia water to neutralize the acid. Then we sealed it with a special polyurethane. Because of it being a porch and our weather conditions we added something called sharks teeth to the urethane to keep it from being slippery.
Everyone who sees it initially thinks it is tile.

Just a swinging with the tribe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #701 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:10 PM »

Klass,

We replaced our wood floor front porch about 8 years ago with concrete. We wanted to tile it but I was afraid of our cold temperatures breaking the tile. So I researched on the internet to find something we could do with concrete decorating.

I found a place called the Stamp store in Oklahoma and they showed lots of acid staining and gave directions on how to do it. I printed out the directions and called them and ordered a sample bottle of all their colors. We practiced a little in our basement to make sure this was something we really wanted to do before ordering a large bottle as well as the sealer.

So after pouring and smoothing the concrete we let it sit for a day or so and then cut lines into it to make it resemble a tile floor. Then we scrubbed it and scrubbed it some more before the actual staining. Husband applied the stain with a small pump style yard sprayer.  He did the cola color first then the tortoise shell I had a hard time convincing him it was ok to let the black splatter into the cola color.

We have an old home built 1917. I did not want this to look new but to look like it might have been here forever. After the stain set for a day or so we scrubbed it again with ammonia water to neutralize the acid. Then we sealed it with a special polyurethane. Because of it being a porch and our weather conditions we added something called sharks teeth to the urethane to keep it from being slippery.
Everyone who sees it initially thinks it is tile.

Sam - that's absolutely stunning!  You guys did a great job.  I really like the stained concrete look but I don't think we'll end up with that.  Because our slab was only replaced in the living room, entry way and master bedroom I'd have a problem deciding where to do just the concrete.  I want to put a laminent floor in the entry way, dining area and kitchen and then carpet in the living room and master bedroom and of course new carpet in the rest of the house.  The problem with the concrete is that we have OLD slab in the dining area and not new. 
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #702 on: April 27, 2008, 11:01:40 PM »

Rabbit VS Snake 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez5QPW-ku4

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #703 on: April 27, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »

I hate snakes, but watched it anyway....never would have thought it would have ended that way!  I figured the snake would either eat it or the rabbit would die from being bitten!  One brave (or crazy) rabbit!

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #704 on: April 28, 2008, 08:20:28 AM »

I got up this morning at 6:30!!!  Looked out the back window and to my chagrin saw a blizzard.  I took a a couple of photos, climbed back into bed, turned the electric blanket up to high, pulled the blankets over my head and turned the electric blanket on high.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #705 on: April 28, 2008, 08:25:13 AM »

I got up this morning at 6:30!!!  Looked out the back window and to my chagrin saw a blizzard.  I took a a couple of photos, climbed back into bed, turned the electric blanket up to high, pulled the blankets over my head and turned the electric blanket on high.

97 where I live yesterday and should be about the same today.  A blizzard sounds nice right about now to me 
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #706 on: April 28, 2008, 10:21:25 AM »

Sam,

Your porch is very lovely...great job...love it.

GreatOwl,

It's chilly here, again...only about 46 degrees this AM, and rainy....do not want any more snow.  Hope yours doesn't hang around, either.

Klaas,

Whatever you end up doing in your home, I'm sure will be wonderful.  As for your temps out there....I'd settle for 70s, myself. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #707 on: April 28, 2008, 10:26:32 AM »

Update on Katysmom in lounge.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #708 on: April 28, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »

Klaas and 2NJsons-Mom,

Thanks for the compliments. I do really love it but if we were doing it again I think I would go with a lighter color. We have a Limestone quarry a few miles away so the trucks carrying gravel create a lot of dust. So every footprint shows.

I agree also with 2NJSONS MOM whatever you do will be lovely.

GreatOwl, you make me feel so guilty complaining about our 50 degree temps.

Just a swinging with the tribe
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #709 on: April 28, 2008, 12:32:30 PM »

Klaas and 2NJsons-Mom,

Thanks for the compliments. I do really love it but if we were doing it again I think I would go with a lighter color. We have a Limestone quarry a few miles away so the trucks carrying gravel create a lot of dust. So every footprint shows.

I agree also with 2NJSONS MOM whatever you do will be lovely.

GreatOwl, you make me feel so guilty complaining about our 50 degree temps.

Sam, the floor you did is AMAZING!  It looks fabulous.  I love that you made it appear to be tile.  I love the look of concrete and have no place to put it! 

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #710 on: April 28, 2008, 07:52:45 PM »

Tonight on DANA PRETZER:    www.scaredmonkeysradio.com

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #711 on: April 28, 2008, 11:30:33 PM »

Watch this 2 year old sing The Lord’s Prayer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4PQ30VkBk&NR=1

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #712 on: April 29, 2008, 12:55:50 AM »

Priceless.  Thank you.

Texasmom ... you made my day.

My hubby came running into the computer room ... he thought he was hearing our six year old grandaughter.  You see ... she sings her little heart out too but ... completely out of tune ... she does not yet have a clue ... one day her little heart will be broken when she learns the truth.

Texasmom ... I cannot stop laughing.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #713 on: April 29, 2008, 01:05:54 AM »

Priceless.  Thank you.

My hubby came running into the computer room ... he thought he was hearing our six year old grandaughter.  You see ... she sings her little heart out too but ... completely out of tune ... she does not yet have a clue ... one day her little heart will be broken when she learns the truth.

Janet

When I opened my email at work this morning, a beloved friend had sent it to me.  It made my day too; I smiled every time I thought about it!  For a child so small to know the song so well and exactly where to place the emphasis, she has been exposed to the right things in her little time here on earth.  I bet your granddaughter is precious!  I love to sing God's praises too, and have not been blessed with talent to do so as many of my family members have, but I don't let it stop me, lol.  He knows my heart.....and he gave me this voice so I've got to use it, lol. 

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #714 on: April 29, 2008, 01:15:13 AM »

Priceless.  Thank you.

Janet

When I opened my email at work this morning, a beloved friend had sent it to me.  It made my day too; I smiled every time I thought about it!  For a child so small to know the song so well and exactly where to place the emphasis, she has been exposed to the right things in her little time here on earth.  I bet your granddaughter is precious!  I love to sing God's praises too, and have not been blessed with talent to do so as many of my family members have, but I don't let it stop me, lol.  He knows my heart.....and he gave me this voice so I've got to use it, lol. 

That little gal was so cute and ... considering her age ... she was great but ... sooo funny.  I have watched that clip three times and ... my sides are aching from laughing so hard.

Good Night Texasmom.

Again ... thank you.

Janet

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #715 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:34 AM »

I tried to access your "Rabbit and Snake" clip.  Nothing happens.

Janet

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #716 on: April 29, 2008, 01:41:01 AM »

Texasmom ... "I am a Promise" is Takara's favorite song.  She is constantly singing or humming this song ... singing or humming complete off tune.

Daddy has videotaped it to show her years from now when she can laugh at it too.

All three of her brothers can sing beautifully but ... they never sing unless "forced"

Janet

I AM A PROMISE

I am a promise
I am a possibility
I am a promise with a capital "P"
I am a great big bundle of potentiality
And I am learnin' to hear God's voice
And I am tryin' to make the right choice
I am a promise to be anything God wants me to be.

I can go anywhere that He wants me to go
I can be anything He wants me to be
I can climb the high mountains
I can cross the wide sea
I'm a great big promise you see!

I am a promise
I am a possibility
I am a promise with a capital "P"
I am a great big bundle of potentiality
And I am learnin' to hear God's voice
And I am tryin' to make the right choice
I'm a promise to be anything God wants me to be
Anything God wants me to be!

http://www.preciouslordtakemyhand.com/christianhymns/iamapromise.html

http://poet4him.blogspot.com/2008/01/votd-i-am-promise.html

_____

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #717 on: April 29, 2008, 08:08:27 AM »

Well this morning the poor birds are walking and breaking their little beaks on the ice in the bird baths.  It got down to the low 20's last night.  We do have a beautiful sunrise and hopefully it will get up to the high 40's today.

I can't wait until it gets warm enough for me to sit on the back patio.  I am getting so sick of having to be indoors all the time.

Klaas, it looks like your project is coming along well right now.  I am sure you will really enjoy the improvements once you get everything back in order.  I love it when a project comes together, but it is the disruption in the meantime that can be a mess.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #718 on: April 29, 2008, 08:27:26 AM »

Janet

Hello Janet:

You may need to update your Flash as I had similar problems last week..

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #719 on: April 29, 2008, 02:38:53 PM »

Janet

Hello Janet:

You may need to update your Flash as I had similar problems last week..

******* ... I am not sure what you mean but ... I will find out.

The forum is sooo slow this morning.

Well ... I lost at a game of Scrabble against my neighbour the other day and ... I am about to treat her to lunch ... restaurant of her choice.

Prior to our next game ... I am going to have a couple cups of strong caffeinated coffee ... that should clear the cobwebs.  I already have my restaurant of choice all picked out and .... it will be her treat.

******* ... I hope the new job is going well.  I assume you are all settle in your new home and ... it is now furnished. 

Janet

_____

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.