May 28, 2024, 06:35:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #10 1/23 - 6/12/2008  (Read 243222 times)
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #900 on: May 24, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »

Wonder if Klaas' camera is broken?  I haven't seen any construction/remodel updates lately.  I want a refund if this keeps up...I signed up for the whole shebang. Fireplace??  Walls?  Come on....throw me a bone!
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #901 on: May 24, 2008, 05:26:07 PM »

Wonder if Klaas' camera is broken?  I haven't seen any construction/remodel updates lately.  I want a refund if this keeps up...I signed up for the whole shebang. Fireplace??  Walls?  Come on....throw me a bone!

You may get to see some fresh paint soon 

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #902 on: May 24, 2008, 05:51:48 PM »

Sorry Lala's, just not enough difference to really see in pictures.  They did finish the entryway and the fireplace tile should be in next week (maybe Wednesday).  I'll take some more photos then.

We are currently in the process of washing down the walls getting ready to paint (once the fireplace is done).  We ordered the laminate flooring today and will order the carpet when we have a better idea when the laminate will be done (we are installing the laminate ourselves).  We know what color paint and carpet we want to it's just a matter of ordering when we are ready. 
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #903 on: May 25, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »

Techno Kitties 

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=7951519

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #904 on: May 26, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »

For anyone who has a total loss, I strongly recommend visiting http://unitedpolicyholders.org/

For anyone who thinks they are adequitly insured, visit http://unitedpolicyholders.org/

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #905 on: May 26, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »

For anyone who has a total loss, I strongly recommend visiting http://unitedpolicyholders.org/

For anyone who thinks they are adequitly insured, visit http://unitedpolicyholders.org/

Shell - thanks for the links, I'm going to read through them now.  What is the status of your house?  Still in a holding pattern or are you back in now?  I hate insurance companies!
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #906 on: May 26, 2008, 01:46:02 AM »

Shell - thanks for the links, I'm going to read through them now.  What is the status of your house?  Still in a holding pattern or are you back in now?  I hate insurance companies!

Still in holding pattern. We had (paid for out of our own pocket) a forensic analysis of the loss. Builder and second opinion are coming out a huge amount more than insurance company estimate. (no big surprise there!) Had they told us the detail and documents they needed, this could have been settled months ago. Now we are 6 months into this. The next few weeks will be important. Will they honor our policy (the right and honorable thing to do), which we paid for and trusted? Or will they take the low road and only think of money when they are dealing with people who did not start the fires but were survivors of what could have very well taken our lives. This has been hell. I intend to share the good guys and the bad guys after the results come in. I could tell you all the worst companys to deal with. I will do so when I have the facts. I hate most insurance companys too Klaas. I know of 2 who have taken the high road and they will get my accolades when the time comes.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #907 on: May 26, 2008, 01:50:30 AM »

A good read too Klaas

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601170&refer=home&sid=aIOpZROwhvNI

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #908 on: May 26, 2008, 01:57:24 AM »

Quote from article referenced above

``There's a fundamental economic conflict between the customer and the company,'' he says. ``That is, the company doesn't want to pay. The first commandment of insurance is, `Thou shalt pay as little and as late as possible.'''

Pathetic, isn't it?

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #909 on: May 26, 2008, 02:14:46 AM »

The insurance companies routinely refuse to pay market prices for homes and replacement contents, they use computer programs to cut payouts, they change policy coverage with no clear explanation, they ignore or alter engineering reports, and they sometimes ask their adjusters to lie to customers, court records and interviews with former employees and state regulators show.

from above article

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #910 on: May 26, 2008, 03:05:07 AM »

Insurance is a four letter word.

I am sorry you have to go through all this.  The fire wasn't bad enough, you would think your insurance company would be on your side.  I'm sure they presented themselves that way when they sold you the policy.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #911 on: May 26, 2008, 10:57:04 AM »

Shell - thanks, I look forward to your analysis when the time comes.
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #912 on: May 26, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »

I took a jaunt to the nearby Mountains today  It was overcast and raining so I will go back soon to get more pictures..But the area is Awesome!!!!!!!!!! Some of the scenery was breathtaking with 13,000 foot peaks,rivers lakes and the wildlife Smile

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 07:54:54 PM by Observer » Logged

Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #913 on: May 27, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »

My Apology to our Blondes at SM 
Blonde Joke

A blonde teenager, wanting to earn some extra money for the summer, decided to hire herself out as a 'handy-woman' and started canvassing a nearby well-to-do neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house, and asked the owner if he had any odd jobs for her to do.

'Well, I guess I could use somebody to paint my porch,' he said, 'How much will you charge me?'

Delighted, the girl quickly responded, 'How about $50?'

The man agreed and told her that the paint brushes and everything she would need was in the garage.

The man's wife, hearing the conversation , said to her husband 'Does she realize that our porch goes ALL the way around the house?'

He responded, 'That's a bit cynical, isn't it?'

The wife replied, 'You're right. I guess I'm starting to believe all those dumb blonde jokes we've been getting by e-mail lately.'

Later that day, the blonde came to the door to collect her money. 'You're finished already?' the startled husband asked.

'Yes, the blonde replied, and I even had paint left over, so I gave it two coats.'

Impressed, the man reached into his pocket for the $50 and handed it to her along with a ten dollar tip.

'And by the way, ' the blonde added, ' it's not a Porch, it's a Lexus'

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #914 on: May 27, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358664,00.html

Crisis in Orbit: Space-Station Toilet Breaks Down
Tuesday , May 27, 2008

There's a bit of a stinky situation in space.

The main toilet aboard the International Space Station has broken down, forcing the three crew members to use the loo on the Soyuz escape craft that's permanently attached to the ISS, according to various media reports.

However, the Soyuz head will offer only temporary relief, as its holding tank will quickly fill up.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Space Center.

To remedy the problem, space shuttle Discovery will bring spare parts for the Russian-built space toilet when it launches to the ISS Saturday.

"The Zvezda service module toilet experienced additional difficulties Tuesday morning," the latest NASA update dryly reports.

In any case, the malfunctioning toilet's days are numbered. In the fall, it will be replaced by a state-of-the-art system that will transform astronaut urine into drinking water.   

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #915 on: May 27, 2008, 04:50:30 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358664,00.html

Crisis in Orbit: Space-Station Toilet Breaks Down
Tuesday , May 27, 2008

There's a bit of a stinky situation in space.

The main toilet aboard the International Space Station has broken down, forcing the three crew members to use the loo on the Soyuz escape craft that's permanently attached to the ISS, according to various media reports.

However, the Soyuz head will offer only temporary relief, as its holding tank will quickly fill up.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Space Center.

To remedy the problem, space shuttle Discovery will bring spare parts for the Russian-built space toilet when it launches to the ISS Saturday.

"The Zvezda service module toilet experienced additional difficulties Tuesday morning," the latest NASA update dryly reports.

In any case, the malfunctioning toilet's days are numbered. In the fall, it will be replaced by a state-of-the-art system that will transform astronaut urine into drinking water.   

I rather die of thirst.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #916 on: May 27, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »

Construction update.  Waiting on the tiles to come in so the tile guy can start on the fireplace.  The drywall and framer contractors are here finishing up the walls in the living room and dining room in prep for paint.  They removed the carpet in the dining/computer room and the flooring in the kitchen.  When they were repairing a doorway they found some termites, first they've seen so far in all of this work.  So they had to replace some of the 2x4's.  Now for the fun part, they found black mold behind the refrigerator due to the icemaker (which we don't use) leaking.  Seems it's been leaking for a while.  Just what I need, black mold.  So that's getting fixed too.  Geez....oh yeah, they are also building a new gate on the side of the house. 

The fireplace will all be covered with ceramic tile including the part you see that is brick.  This picture reminds me I need to clean out the inside of the fireplace today so it's clean for the tile guy tomorrow  :

This is a picture of the dining/computer room after they removed the carpet and took down the shutters.  My husband and I are going to lay a laminate flooring ourselves in this area and the entryway and kitchen too.   The living room and master bedroom will have carpet:

This is a photo of the work that was done on the entryway.  This area was all tweaked because the previous owner had taken out a 4x4 post that was holding up the corner of the house.  We had the stucco removed after the roof was jacked back up into place and added wood.  The wood will be painted white like the trim.  We also had them install 5 recessed lights in this area.  That's still our old front door...wait until you see the new one  :

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #917 on: May 27, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »

Thanks for the update & pictures, Klaas.  I'm jealous...our house needs some work & the funds to do it....but I'm not jealous of all you've been through while the work is being done OR the black mold.  You've probably done it already, but I'd try to get hubby to clean out the fireplace...

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #918 on: May 27, 2008, 08:22:11 PM »

Thanks for the update & pictures, Klaas.  I'm jealous...our house needs some work & the funds to do it....but I'm not jealous of all you've been through while the work is being done OR the black mold.  You've probably done it already, but I'd try to get hubby to clean out the fireplace...

Nope, I did the fireplace right after posting the update.  I put on my N95 mask and cleaned it out.  I just didn't want the tile/fireplace guy to start working on it with all that soot still there. 

What really got to me yesterday was cleaning the walls with TSP.  I've learned my lesson with that stuff because I was feeling like I was getting sick last night after using it.  So no more TSP cleaning for me, LOL 
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #919 on: May 27, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »

The new Facebook for the elderly. LOL 

My Daughter thinks she is sooooo funny ......
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.