April 26, 2024, 09:04:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing teen Briana Denison from Reno NV (Body Found)  (Read 126105 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »

Thank-you, it ended today with Biela's mother on the stand, she will be back Tuesday.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20100529/NEWS/100529480/1070&ParentProfile=1058
Jurors hear of Biela's abusive childhood

05/29/10
By SCOTT SONNER
Associated Press Writer
RENO — Convicted murderer and rapist James Biela grew up in a poor, abusive and “frankly bizarre” household where his father routinely beat his mother and the children cowered in fear, sometimes using a bucket in their bedroom as a toilet, jurors were told Friday.

The Washoe District Court jury trying to decide whether to sentence the 28-year-old Sparks pipe fitter to death for the killing of Brianna Denison heard testimony from a psychiatrist, his mother and siblings about his traumatic childhood.

The seven-woman, five-man jury convicted Biela Thursday of first-degree murder, kidnapping and three counts of sexual assault in a string of attacks that began in October 2007 near the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno and culminated in Denison's strangulation in January 2008.

At a sentencing hearing that will resume Tuesday morning, his public defenders tried to persuade the same jury to spare his life and send him to prison for life with no chance for parole based on mitigating factors including his difficult upbringing.

Biela's father, Joseph Biela, engaged in daily behavior that was “unusual, abusive and frankly bizarre,” Dr. Melissa Piasecki said.

“Verbal and psychological abuse was pervasive in the house,” Piasecki said about the apartment where James Biela lived in the Chicago area with his mother, father, brother and two sisters.

Biela's mother, Kathy Lovell, “bore the brunt of the physical abuse,” she said, suffering broken teeth and ribs, and undergoing wrist surgery due to injuries from being bound so many times. She also said earrings were ripped from her ears and her hair was pulled out.
“They could hear her screaming and observe the beatings,” Piasecki said. “Sometimes (Lovell) would go to the children's rooms and hide underneath their bed. They'd see their father enter the room and drag her out from under the bed.

In a telephone interview Friday, Joseph Biela told The Associated Press that the testimony was filled with “lies.”

“Everything was fine,” said Joseph Biela, 61, who said he is confined to a wheelchair or a walker.

“I beat my wife but never my kids,” he said.

Asked whether the beatings were severe, he said, “That you will have to ask her.”

“I guess some of them were, I don't know. I'm the one paying for it now ... She was my best friend and I didn't know it at the time.”

Jeff Biela, James' older brother who recently graduated from law school, said their dad would “bind or handcuff” their mom and whip her “pretty much nightly” in the bedroom next to theirs.

“It was a tortuous beating. I can still hear it in my mind, the whipping noise the belt would make as he would whip her and her begging him to stop,” Jeff Biela said.

Biela's sisters would hold hands and sing to each other to drown out their mother's screams, according to Kim Eastman, an older sister. She remembered she feared leaving their bedroom in the evening, even to go to the bathroom.
We would keep buckets under my bed,” Eastman said.

Lovell, who now lives in Spokane, Wash., testified late Friday that her husband would strike her if she failed to bring home his beer or cigarettes.

But often “there was no rhyme or reason,” she said, adding that he sometimes used automobile fan belts to tie her to the bedpost before beating her. She didn't tell anyone because she was “ashamed.”

Lovell finally separated from her husband after he nearly killed her for showing up without the tequila he wanted after they moved from Illinois to Reno in 1990.

“He pulled me by the hair and slammed my head on the floor. He kept hitting my head on the floor — a cement floor with a carpet. I thought I was going to die,” she said.

Just then the police showed up and arrested him because for the first time the children had fled to their aunt's house a mile away and she called 911.

Deputy District Attorney Elliott Sattler said that while the experiences described in court must have been horrible, none of the siblings grew up to become a violent criminal.

Although the U.S. Marines court-martialed James Biela because he was AWOL and tested positive for marijuana, he was an average or better student through school, hard worker and provider for his girlfriend and son prior to embarking on the string of sexual assaults in the fall of 2007, Sattler said.

“All of the sudden he starts raping women, stealing their underwear, breaking into homes, violating women in the most despicable ways possible and choking women to death. How do you explain that?” he asked Piasecki.
“I can't explain that,” she answered.

“How is it 16 years removed from this horrible father he snaps and starts raping and killing people?” he asked again.

She said her profession doesn't have a good understanding of how early experiences affect people later in life. She said there typically is more of an “association” between such events rather than a “cause and effect.”

Joseph Biela told AP on Friday he hopes his son's life is spared.

“Let him spend the rest of his life in jail,” he said. “If they let him out, he might do that again.”

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »

While I would never wish such a childhood on anyone, that was terrible, to say the least. James's siblings all grew up to do something positive with their lives, so it is going to be hard not to look at that aspect. While following the live blog, James's gave the finger to his ex girlfriend's parents, don't know if the jury was present to see that, hope they were.
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2010, 08:39:50 AM »

While I would never wish such a childhood on anyone, that was terrible, to say the least. James's siblings all grew up to do something positive with their lives, so it is going to be hard not to look at that aspect. While following the live blog, James's gave the finger to his ex girlfriend's parents, don't know if the jury was present to see that, hope they were.

But he was the oldest, right?  I can't imagine ever being right if I witnessed that all of my life.  How horrible.  I am not making an excuse for what he did, but I felt sick reading about his upbringing.  All those women who stayed just to keep their family together did their children no favors.  The children are messed up forever, not one of them remained unaffected.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »

Nev. jury sentences man to death for coed murder
The Associated Press

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 | 3:45 p.m.

A jury sentenced a Nevada man to death Wednesday for raping and killing a college coed after sexually assaulting two others in a string of attacks that had the city of Reno on edge for most of 2008.

The same jury that convicted James Biela, 28, last week deliberated for about nine hours before reaching a unanimous verdict to execute him by lethal injection for the 2008 rape and strangulation of Brianna Denison, 19.

Her family members burst into tears and Biela stared straight ahead as the sentence was read aloud in Washoe County District Court. Biela's sentence will be automatically appealed to the Nevada Supreme Court.

"My heart goes out to all the innocent people who have been touched by this tragedy," said the judge, Robert Perry. He set sentencing for July 30 on other charges stemming from the Denison slaying and the sexual assault of two other young women.

As Biela was handcuffed and led away by a court marshal, he turned to his mother and apologized.

"I'm sorry. I (expletive) up," he said.

The pipe fitter and ex-Marine from Sparks apologized Tuesday, saying he regretted that he would not be able to see his son grow up. His public defenders urged the seven women and five men of the jury to consider that he had no previous criminal record and had been abused growing up in poverty in the Chicago area.

But Denison's family and Washoe County prosecutors called death the only appropriate penalty for Denison's slaying in January 2008 during a series of assaults that began months before on the edge of the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno.

Denison's mother, Bridgette Denison, handed small blue bags of mementoes to prosecutors and police with buttons bearing her daughter's photo and the words "Bring Bri Justice."

Similar buttons were distributed during the search for Denison's body in 2008.

"It sickens me to know my poor baby girl was with you the last moments of her life," Bridgette Denison told Biela Tuesday. "I know that James Biela is asking for mercy. I do not believe he deserves any mercy."

Deputy District Attorney Elliott Sattler said he agreed with public defenders who said the death penalty should be reserved for the "worst of the worst."

But he said Biela fit that category because he strangled Denison with thong underwear.

"He could have used his bare hands," Sattler said. "He chose not to do that. He killed her in a sick and sadistic way that was directly tied into what he had done earlier."

Detectives called the slaying the work of a serial rapist who stalked petite women and had a fetish for thongs. The two other assault victims said their assailant took their panties during attacks at or near UNR in the fall of 2007.

Denison, a sophomore at California's Santa Barbara City College, was home visiting friends during winter break when she was abducted Jan. 20, 2008, while sleeping on a friend's couch near the UNR campus.

Her body, clad only in socks, was found in a field 26 days later, beneath a discarded Christmas tree along with two pair of women's thong underwear. Police determined one undergarment had been stolen from Denison's friend and was used to strangle Denison.

Denison's family and friends tied blue ribbons around fence posts and trees, and police reported receiving thousands of tips and calls to an anonymous hot line. Biela was arrested in November 2008 when he went to pick his son up at preschool.

Police said he was identified through DNA compared with samples that Biela's ex-girlfriend let police obtain from their son.

Lawyers for both sides put the death penalty itself on trial during closing arguments on Tuesday.

Public defender Maizie Pusich argued that sentencing Biela to life in prison without parole was enough to punish Biela and protect the public.

"The way to prevent this sort of tragedy in the future is not to kill Mr. Biela," she said. "Death does not bring peace or renewal to anyone."

The last time a Washoe County jury issued a death sentence was for Tamir Hamilton, now 32. He was convicted in 2008 of raping and killing Holly Quick, 16, of Sparks, in September 2006.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jun/02/nev-jury-sentences-man-to-death-for-coed-murder/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »

NBC's 'Dateline' to feature the Brianna Denison case on Friday
BY MARTHA BELLISLE • mbellisle@rgj.com • October 28, 2010

The investigation that led to the arrest of James Biela in the rape and murder of Brianna Denison and the trial that sent him to death row will be featured in a one-hour episode of “Dateline NBC” on Friday at 9 p.m.

Josh Mankiewicz, a Dateline correspondent, said the show picks up from its earlier presentation when police were still searching for the killer, and takes viewers through the trial to the final verdict.

“It includes an extraordinary confrontation between Biela and his ex-girlfriend in the police interview room right after he was arrested,” Mankiewicz said, adding that they disguised her voice and face so she can’t be identified. “She’s alternately accusing him and pleading with him. It’s terrible and memorable.”

Lauren Denison, Brianna’s aunt, said they have not seen the show, but hope it includes information about the Bring Bri Justice Foundation, formed by family and friends to help others stay safe, organize searches and change laws to avoid similar crimes.

“That is where we’re at now,” she said. “We’ll probably never be OK, but we’re trying to make the best out of a horrible situation.”

“I’m curious to see it.”

Denison was 19 when she disappeared from a friend’s couch in January 2008. Her body was found about a month later in a South Reno field. She had been raped and strangled.

Biela was arrested in November 2008 and also charged with raping another woman in a university parking garage and kidnapping and sexually assaulting a third woman.

After three-and-a-half weeks of trial, the jury found him guilty of all counts, and said he should be sentenced to death.
http://www.rgj.com/article/20101028/NEWS01/101028033/1321/news/NBC-s--Dateline--to-feature-the-Brianna-Denison-case-on-Friday

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.