April 23, 2024, 09:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kennedys Endorse Obama  (Read 2172 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: January 29, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »

Caroline Kennedy delivered a beautiful speech and endorsed Barack Obama. She said since her father died in 1963 (when she was about six years old), she never found a candidate that could measure up to him until now. She is now 51 and had to wait 45 years. Her endorsement carries a lot of weight.

Next, Ted Kennedy and his son Patrick endorsed Obama. Ted gave an inspiring speech as only he can do.

I'm very excited about the Kennedy endorsements. I hope you are too. 

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »

Ted Kennedy has tremendous power within the Democratic Party.  He pretty much succeeded Tip O'neill.  I can remember those same qualities in Sen. Everett Dirksen who was a Republican.   

The down side of Ted Kennedy is he is a polarizing figure in politics.  Nobody is on the fence when it comes to him.  You either like him or dislike him.  Most people I speak with have strong feelings in both directions.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »

GO,

I remember Everett Dirksen as well. I was very young but he caught my attention.

I agree Ted Kennedy is a polarizing figure. I grew up in the Kennedy era. I saw his brothers assassinated and his temptation to run for the presidency. Thank God his family talked him out of it. He is doing far better work as a senator and senior member of the democratic party instead of a dead Ted.

I think time is getting short for all those of us who are of an age. Ted must be in his 70s.

I'd very much like it if we can come together to respect elder statesmen no matter what their views are.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »

Dear Joan,

When I endorsed Barack Obama on Monday, I was also endorsing a candidate with the power to transform America.

As President Kennedy said in 1960, "It is time for a new generation of leadership."

This campaign is about a new generation of leadership today. A generation ready to be part of something bigger than themselves. A generation ready to change the country, and a generation ready to change the world.

I'm doing everything I can to elect Barack Obama. With less than a week before my state and 21 others make their voices heard, there is no time to lose.

Please join me by making a $50 donation now:

https://donate.barackobama.com/newgeneration

Like my son Patrick and my niece Caroline, I have found a new generation of leadership for America in Barack Obama -- and I hope you have too!

Sincerely,

Senator Edward M. Kennedy

P.S. -- You may have already seen clips of my speech or parts of it on Monday. But take a look here. The energy in that room was amazing, and it's spreading across America.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

Louise,  you should not be really surprised by all this back room dealing that goes on.  It has always existed.  The major difference is that communication venues tend to publicize it much better these days.

At any rate, I think both the Republican and Democratic conventions have the potential to return to the level of the 60's this year.  I vividly remember the 68 Democratic Convention and the poser Mayor Daley had of it.  He had complete control over the microphones and would cut someone off if he didn't like what he heard.  I just hope that the rioting doesn't rise to the level in did in the Chicago Parks that year.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:27:59 PM »

I guess I just gave up my real first name.    I am Joan LOUISE. Please forget about the Joan. Thanks.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.