April 18, 2024, 11:34:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Obama and Hilary Drama  (Read 6850 times)
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »

Mrs. Red,

All you have to do is open your ears and listen to how each one speaks. Use your intuitive skills.

Justins ... I will donate something online tomorrow.
Still didn't answer my question... if I attend Harvard are my classmates better educated than I am? Same school -

just like with John Kerry... everyone blathered how he was so much more educated than Bush... and Bush actually made better grades.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 01:22:07 AM »

Mrs.Red,

Well then, it seems to me that Bush must be better educated than Obama because he went to Yale and Harvard. Obama only went to Harvard. Good catch.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 08:52:09 AM »

Now the real question is ............. are those who attend Yale and Harvard educated enough to understand the needs of the average American.   

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »

I know rich kids go to Harvard and Yale. Some get scholarships. I wish them all well.

I certainly agree they typically have no clue about the average American. But here and there, there are people who separate themselves from the pack because they have a particular insight into the trials and tribulations of the common man.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 10:55:48 PM »

Now the real question is ............. are those who attend Yale and Harvard educated enough to understand the needs of the average American.   

GO... that is the true catch and my answer is "absolutely NOT" - I personally fear all 3 of what's going to be elected, I do remember Carter and the misery index... damn I hate unemployment...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 11:27:12 PM »

GO... that is the true catch and my answer is "absolutely NOT" - I personally fear all 3 of what's going to be elected, I do remember Carter and the misery index... damn I hate unemployment...

I can't consider myself truly unemployed yet it is not like I can go out and secure a job for compensation at this stage of my life.  I suppose I could flop meices at a local Mickey D's, but the money I would earn wouldn't pay for the extra Celebrex it would take.

I look at issues very differently than I did years ago.  Medicare payments, supplemental insurance, Medicare Part D and co pays which are enormous create a state of shock.  I can't complain because I am still able to do and live the life I wish.  I can easily identify with those who can not.  It is not difficult for me to see how many elderly have to chose between food and medications.  Even I have been tempted to skip medications because it is becoming an ever increasing burden.

Companies are out there actually trying to trick people into paying more.  I found a company last year which did have a low premium and co pay.  It is the burden of each individual to research the dozens upon dozens of company policies each year.  I got my automatic renewal this year and the premiums had increased 40% and the co pay had tripled.  I caught it in time because this is what I do and have done professionally.  I changed companies and will likely change again next year.

The average elderly person doesn't do this.  I played cards a couple of months back with someone who was baffled by the fact that their social security check had decreased by $ 100 dollars a month.  They never thought to think of looking at what they were being charged for Part D.  Even after I took the time to explain it, they still didn't have the slightest idea how to make the change.

This is why I try not to attack candidates or parties.  Both parties have put us in this position and state of economy.  During elections there is a great deal of talk and promises.  I rarely see follow through once the election year is over.   I do not expect 2009 to be much different.  All I can hope for is that we find a way not to support wars.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 01:03:37 AM »

Dear Great Owl,

I want you to know that the pics I took of the Obama rally are from one year ago when he was not well known. It was the first political rally of my life.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 01:36:23 AM »

Dear Great Owl,

I want you to know that the pics I took of the Obama rally are from one year ago when he was not well known. It was the first political rally of my life.

the pics were very interesting, thank you

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »

When Shrillary leaves the contest, Bambi and his racist wife with their Che posters and shirts for sale, will be under the microscope. He had better put some meat on his uplifting rhetoric or he will be exposed as fancy talker. I think even an old and tired geezer, McCain, will take Bambi the separatist down.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

Barack Obama

I'm sorry, but I've yet to hear him say anything but the words "Change"  "New",  etc....   what does he truly stand for and what are his objectives and how to accomplish them?  I want to HEAR specifics!

That's exactly what I said. I want to know what he plans to actually DO! I want his plan of action, laid out for all Americans to see. Then we can make our decision on whether or not we want to support that plan. I am very uneasy with all the vague talking that sounds good.....

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »

Barack Obama

I'm sorry, but I've yet to hear him say anything but the words "Change"  "New",  etc....   what does he truly stand for and what are his objectives and how to accomplish them?  I want to HEAR specifics!

That's exactly what I said. I want to know what he plans to actually DO! I want his plan of action, laid out for all Americans to see. Then we can make our decision on whether or not we want to support that plan. I am very uneasy with all the vague talking that sounds good.....

I totally agree with you, Dihannah and pdh3.  I see lots of style, but no substance and it is worrisome. I would also ask, in this dangerous world of ours, is abrupt change really the only way to go?  I fully understand that many of us disagree with the war, and that the economy is precarious.  But, the constant mantra of change, change, change, without knowing what the change is, how the change will occur, what the cost will be, if we willl even like this sort of change is more than vaguely unsettling.

None of the three frontrunners seem like viable options to me.  I truly don't want to vote for any of these politicians in November. I don't remember ever feeling so disenfranchised.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 08:53:33 PM »

Ok, for arguments sake....   I found this at http://www.selectsmart.com/president/2008/comparethem.html
You can chose any candidate to compare against each other.  Below is Obama, but still doesn't say much to me and most came from his official site.
As soon as I looked at Hillary's, out of curiosity, it took me two seconds to skip her!  She supported the ACLU up to 83% of the time!  BTW,  I got 2 calls from her 'team' today and told them, I would NOT be voting for her!

Obama stands

War authorization: As a state senator, he spoke out against Iraq war, before the war started. Has long favored a phased withdrawal.

Security/liberties: He voted against and later for bills to reauthorizing the PATRIOT Act. "Let me be clear: this compromise is not as good as the Senate version of the bill, nor is it as good as the SAFE Act that I have cosponsored. I suspect the vast majority of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle feel the same way. But, it's still better than what the House originally proposed. This compromise does modestly improve the PATRIOT Act by strengthening civil liberties protections without sacrificing the tools that law enforcement needs to keep us safe." --February 16, 2006 Source. Obama supported the interests of the American Civil Liberties Union 83 percent in 2005-2006. "Senator Obama is a member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and has supported efforts to base homeland security spending on risk rather than pork-barrel politics. He has also introduced legislation to strength chemical plant and drinking water security and to enhance disaster preparedness." -Campaign site

Social Security: Senator Obama supported the interests of the Alliance for Retired Americans 100 percent in 2005.
Stem cell research: Supports federally funded stem cell research.

Same sex issues: Opposes gay marriage; supports civil union & gay equality.

Trade issues: Has a mixed voting record of trade issues. Voted for free trade agreement with Oman. Voted against implementing CAFTA for Central America free-trade. In 2005-2006 USA Engage gave Senator Obama a rating of C. "USA*ENGAGE promotes responsible alternatives to sanctions that actually advance US humanitarian and foreign policy goals, such as intensified US diplomacy and multilateral cooperation."

Budget issues: "Senator Obama voted against the most recent effort to raise the national debt limit. The current national debt has exceeded $8.6 trillion dollars, and nearly $4 trillion of that debt is now held by foreign governments. Our national debt and annual budget deficits effectively tax all Americans by adding to the amount of interest paid to service U.S. borrowing." Source Obama supported the interests of the National Taxpayers Union 6 percent in 2005.
Business & labor issues: Obama supported the interests of the National Federation of Independent Business 12 percent in 2005-2006.

"Sen. Obama regularly supports legislation that we support. There have been no votes in the Senate on legislation we track, therefore our system may have reported 0% simply because no votes were cast. His actual support of NAGC issues is 100%." - J.R. Claeys, President, National Association of Government Contractors
He supported the interests of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce 39 percent in 2005.
He supported the interests of the United Auto Workers 93 percent in 2005.
He supported the interests of the AFL-CIO 92 percent in 2005.
Abortion issues: Obama supported the interests of the Planned Parenthood 100 percent in 2006. Obama supported the interests of the National Right to Life Committee 0 percent in 2005-2006. Obama supported the interests of the NARAL Pro-Choice America 100 percent in 2005.

Capital punishment: Obama says the death penalty "does little to deter crime" but he supports it for cases in which "the community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage." As as state senator, Obama worked with law enforcement officials to require the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases. Source
Marijuana: Famously admitted to using illegal drugs in his book. On the issue of medicinal marijuana, Obama said that if the "best way to relieve pain and suffering is through medicinal marijuana," then it's something he's open to. Source
Gun control: Obama supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 0 percent in 2005. Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all state legislative candidates in 2004, the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund assigned Senator Obama a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).

Minimum wage: Voted for increases in the minimum wage.

Health care: "Too many hard-working Americans cannot afford their medical bills, and health-related issues are the number one cause for personal bankruptcy. Promoting affordable, accessible, and high-quality health care is a priority for Senator Obama." -Campaign site

Prescription drugs: "To help lower the cost of prescription drugs, Senator Obama has supported efforts to allow American seniors to purchase prescription drugs in Canada and bring them back to the U.S. He also has supported giving Medicare the ability to negotiate lower drug prices." Senate site

Environmental issues: Obama supported the interests of the American Wilderness Coalition 100 percent in 2005. Obama supported the interests of the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund 88 percent in 2005. Obama supported the interests of the League of Conservation Voters 95 percent in 2005.

Immigration issues: Obama supported the interests of the American Immigration Lawyers Association 88 percent in 2006. Obama supported the interests of the U.S. Border Control 8 percent in 2005-2006. Obama supported the interests of the Federation for American Immigration Reform 0 percent in 2005.

Supports amnesty/permanent legalization for illegal aliens and temporary legalization for illegal aiens as guestworkers. Source
Education issues: Opposes vouchers.

Net Neutrality: Strongly yes. Source
Link to voting records and special interest group ratings. (If available).
Campaign website

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »

Perhaps Nader will decided to run now.  What a joke!!!

I have tried to look at candidates and find a reason to vote for him/her.  As I said before, I do not like to vote against candidates.  I do remember a time when I felt as some do now.  1968 left me with a very sour taste for politics.  Nixon was suspect in his methods and I really dreaded him becoming President.  I was none to happy with the Democratic Convention held in Chicago.  It was obvious that Mayor Daley was pulling all the strings.  The violence of that year is something I never wish to see again. 

In trying to find something to vote for in McCain I am absolutely at a loss.  He favors an even great escalation of the Iraq conflict than we have now.  He has never been a supporter of public education.   I fear that we will end up in some physical conflict in Iran with the way his speeches are phrased.  He is too much into "winning" wars. 

To be honest in my response, I have not heard much from him about his stance on the current economy.  He spends so much time spouting off about "never surrendering."  Life is not that simple any more.  If we look at every issue as having to be a win/lose we will have a sad 4 years.

McCain is off my list of possibles.  I do not often vote Republican, but would like to hear more of Huckabee.  I prefer Obama over Clinton.  I will honestly have a very difficult choice if it is Obama vs. Huckabee in November. 

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.