April 23, 2024, 11:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Before and After  (Read 4024 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: February 22, 2008, 09:18:51 AM »

We have just had our coldest night of the winter.  Now they say we are going to have another snow storm coming in on Tuesday.  It is a good thing I take photos as it does help to remember we do actually have warm weather.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:24:28 AM »

I have had to shovel paths in the back to get to the bird feeders.  The entire yard in two feet of packed snow.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »

I am glad I am heading for our time share in April, because this stuff isn't going away for a while.  I predict we will still be getting at least one storm storm in May.

A view from our balcony.......

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:20:38 AM by klaasend » Logged

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »

Thank you, Great Owl for those gorgeous pics. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the summer ones.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »

Thank you, I do like all the seasons.  There is a certain beauty to winter.  I just do not care for it being so long.  This winter will without a doubt be the worst on record dating back to 116 years.  So much for global warming.

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:57:21 AM »

Thank you for the lovely pics, Great Owl. 

I haven't seen icicles like those since I left Nebraska!  Brings back a lot of memories...chilly ones. 

Beautiful pics. 

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »

I haven't taken photos now in a while.  The icicles have gotten longer on the house.  The snow banks and the icicles now touch.  Many people are having to shovel off their roofs because of the tremendous weight on collecting snow.  Ours is only a couple of feet thick on the roof.  The wind has helped by blowing it off.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 08:10:22 AM »

I haven't taken photos now in a while.  The icicles have gotten longer on the house.  The snow banks and the icicles now touch.  Many people are having to shovel off their roofs because of the tremendous weight on collecting snow.  Ours is only a couple of feet thick on the roof.  The wind has helped by blowing it off.

Thank you for the pictures GreatOwl.  The snow on your roof is "only" a couple of feet? Shocked 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »

Thank you for the pictures GreatOwl.  The snow on your roof is "only" a couple of feet? Shocked 

Yup, and with the sun now beginning to get warmer things are beginning to melt some.  At this time of the year, even when it is below 20 degrees the sun actually does melt the snow on the roof.  This is why the icicles form.  The wind is very cold and so when the snow melts and starts to drip the wind freezes and the icicles grow.  They are pretty when in an non accessible area.  If they are near any where that people walk it is essential that we try to knock them down.  I have seen icicles some 7-8 feet long this year and the tops are a couple of feet thick.  You do not want one of those to fall on you.

We are used to this sort of thing, however, this year has been our most extreme winter in over 100 years.

snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »

Wow!! Beautiful pictures GreatOwl. 
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 11:45:01 PM »

Thank you, in about 4 weeks I will be able to take some more in Puerto Vallarta.  It is my favorite place to vacation.  I do not drink alcohol normally, but when down there I have Margaritas every day.  There is a bar at the pool and you can swim right up and the bar stools are just under the water.  I also love to walk through the downtown areas or Malecon.

There are all sorts of videos on youtube taken at the Sheraton and the Malecon.  The place doesn't sleep.  It is a very safe place to walk even at night.

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 06:26:51 PM »

Holey Moley Great Owl....I was seriously complaining about our 10 inches of snow last week.....OHMYGAWD!!!!  I envy you going to PV....haven't been ther in years...but it's beautiful!!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 11:28:36 PM »

It has been beautiful this week.  We have been in the 40's that last 3 days.  I haven't had to wear a coat and I have even had the window down on the car during the day just to get some fresh air for a change.  Today, I actually saw a woman out on her lawn chair trying to get a tan.  She had parked the car at the base of a driveway and the house was blocking any wind.  The snow around her was at least 4 feet high but close to the ground it probably was warm.  However, that is a bit crazy as far as I'm concerned.

We go to the stores and the parking lots still have snow banks 15-20 feet high.  Most of the city has snow banks next to all streets at about 3-4 feet now.  At least you can see the cars coming from the side streets.  Things are melting fast now.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 12:02:05 AM »

I like to look at pictures of snow....and I like to watch it fall here, because it doesn't last for very long. But I couldn't take the kind of winters that you have GO. I'd die of cabin fever, because I'd never want to go outside. And sunbathing in 40 degrees sounds crazy to me. I still need a coat when it's 60 outside.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »

Well sun bathing in that kind of weather is a bit extreme even for someone in Wisconsin.  I do remember my days in college when I competed in track.  We always had to practice during spring break so I never went south with the rest of the college crowd.  The temperature would most often be in the 50's and with working out for several hours in what was a warm sun, it was always possible to take off my shirt because the extreme workout at that point of the season.  I would end up with a better tan than those who had gone to Florida. 

If anyone is interested if you click on "Slideshow" in my tag line I believe you will be able to see several of the photos I have taken.  I will add to them as time passes.  This way I do not use up space on Red's bandwidth.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.