April 25, 2024, 04:31:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLUTO WILL NOT BE BANISHED WITHOUT A FIGHT!  (Read 9089 times)
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« on: August 25, 2006, 03:19:20 PM »

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/benchconference/2006/08/pluto_loses_designation_sues_i.html

Laughing

terryd270
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 07:05:05 PM »

Less Christmas cards to send out and postage was killing me.. Very Happy
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:16:02 PM »

Quote from: "terryd270"
Less Christmas cards to send out and postage was killing me.. Very Happy

Hee, Terry!

That's funny and you made me smile.

terryd270
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:34:16 PM »

Hey anyone know when the next comet is due?  HUMANS --

HEY I HAVE ALMOST NO TYPE TO WRITE BUT I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I AM OK.

THINGS ARE COOL HERE WE ARE HANGING OUT IN THE NEXT LEVEL YOU KNOW LIKE DRE SAID ... ONE THAT YOU HAVE NOT BEEN YET.

(ok, coast is clear.)

Honestly, it is okay up here on the next level. What I really needed to escape was that place they call Earth.  I think one earthling might know who we are, her name is Jacqueline, she is a naughty earth specimen!.  We need to capture the Jacqueline and return the Illudium Pew-36 Explosive Space Modulator!..  

I donned my Black Nikes, drank some Booze, and caught the next Comet to the Next Level.

IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE ME.

vErY tRuLy YoUrS,

Peeping Squirrel
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 08:58:41 PM »

Hey anyone know when the next comet is due?  HUMANS --

HEY I HAVE ALMOST NO TYPE TO WRITE BUT I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I AM OK.

THINGS ARE COOL HERE WE ARE HANGING OUT IN THE NEXT LEVEL YOU KNOW LIKE DRE SAID ... ONE THAT YOU HAVE NOT BEEN YET.

(ok, coast is clear.)

Honestly, it is okay up here on the next level. What I really needed to escape was that place they call Earth.  I think one earthling might know who we are, her name is Jacqueline, she is a naughty earth specimen!.  We need to capture the Jacqueline and return the Illudium Pew-36 Explosive Space Modulator!..  

I donned my Black Nikes, drank some Booze, and caught the next Comet to the Next Level.

IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE ME.

vErY tRuLy YoUrS,

Peeping Squirrel

Shocked   SHould this be posted in the movie trivia forum or is this you Terry?

terryd270
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 09:00:07 PM »

Just playing, its me.. Everyone says that men are from Mars, right???
terryd270
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 09:01:21 PM »

PS

I'm not really a squirrel but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once..
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 09:02:03 PM »

Just playing, its me.. Everyone says that men are from Mars, right???

Tee hee...

Yes, that's what the book says....

Wink

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 09:17:04 PM »

PS

I'm not really a squirrel but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once..

Laughing

I like the one where the guy is up in the plane...

Oh I'm not the pilot.... Shocked

Funny.

Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 11:55:02 PM »

Quote from: "Jacqueline"
 <snip> is this you Terry?

Yep, all signs indicate it is our Terry  Wink

Check every detail-check it twice. At least check it once. FIND NATALEE
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1263692006

First Pluto, next Neptune?

This is rockin my world here!!!!!!

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 01:52:01 PM »

How can the astronomers do this to us?

For 75 years we were made to believe that Pluto is the ninth, if farthest, planet in the universe. When Clyde Tombaugh announced the news in 1930, he gave us a new vision of the universe. He rewrote our Science textbook.

In our Science class, we proudly raised our hands when asked about the number of planets. On our test papers, we were quick to identify Pluto as the smallest.

Turned out we were wrong. Turned out we never scored excellent in our Science quizzes. One wrong answer meant one point less from excellence. And we thought we were perfect.

And now the International Astronomical Union has ruled at its convention that Pluto does not meet the definition of a planet. From now on, Pluto shall be known as a "dwarf planet," according to the small-minded astronomers.

Of course we don’t recall the songwriters mentioning Pluto or lovers pining about Tombaugh’s planet. Planet Earth is a winner. Venus, Jupiter and Mars are often mentioned. Never mind Uranus.

We’re taking Pluto’s demotion with a heavy heart. It’s like losing a relative. It will take another 75 years to live down fond memories. Next time the International Astronomical Union meets, we hope a meteor hits the convention site.We hope the astronomers do not reclassify Earth. It is not your usual planet. It’s a very violent place, plagued by wars, pestilence, diseases, hate and natural disasters. It is full of people who love to destroy each other, their environment, their civilization, including the entire world.

If we do not watch out, Earth could follow the example of our second favorite planet, Krypton.

I'm glad to see someone as bothered by this as me!    Wink

Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 10:28:12 PM »

Well shucks!  I always felt little Pluto was way out there all alone and now we just kicked him out of the line up.  I bet he's going to get a complex...then he's going to need therapy and that is going to cost some money.  Rolling Eyes
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 11:45:09 PM »

I suspicion that most astronomers are looking at the International Astronomical Union IAU to be as useful as the UN and probably give it as much relevance as the UN.

I think most all US astronomers and any other 'real' astronomers will continue to consider Pluto a 'real' planet.

Pluto:    Down But Maybe Not Out
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »

We will not take it.Pluto will always be a planet to me a symbol of Walt Disney.They go to far.What will they eliminatate next.Good lord,I hope they leave Bananas alone.cat

Live with hope,looking for justice
sb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »

Pluto Was Named After A lanet...

Goofy Was Named After Scientists

Natalee's family/friends still need our prayers.
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 11:20:03 PM »

when is the next comet coming.there 3 things I want to do,I can't remember all them,but they are coming to put me back to bed.Please save Goofy,he is my hero.j4n Oh yeah,that was 1 of the 3.cat

Mrsn2itiv
Scared Monkey

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 11:40:28 PM »

I took astronomy in college.  That was a cool class.  I was taught then that Pluto was probably a moon. I home educate my children and have always taught my kids that we include Pluto as a planet but it really might be a moon... now when they saw that on the news, it all fell into place for them--even though they know now it is really not even a moon  Laughing   I am glad we have people who study this though--even if they don't come up with the popular answer, at least they are trying to be accurate.  We will always come up with "better" definitions as we have better technology. Who can forget flat earth/round earth?

http://www.nineplanets.org/pluto.html
The unusual nature of the orbits of Pluto and of Triton and the similarity of bulk properties between Pluto and Triton suggest some historical connection between them. It was once thought that Pluto may have once been a satellite of Neptune's, but this now seems unlikely. A more popular idea is that Triton, like Pluto, once moved in an independent orbit around the Sun and was later captured by Neptune. Perhaps Triton, Pluto and Charon are the only remaining members of a large class of similar objects the rest of which were ejected into the Oort cloud. Like the Earth's Moon, Charon may be the result of a collision between Pluto and another body.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.  RWE
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 09:56:18 AM »

i COULDN'T FIND nEPTUNE LAST NIGHT OR GOOFY ON THE dISNEY CHANNEL.tO ARMS,tO arms.Cat

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.