March 29, 2024, 01:35:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #740 3/5 - 3/7/08  (Read 313070 times)
jackb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »

I have been doing a little scholarly research you could say and came across this very insightful journal article. I don't know if many of you have read this or seen it before but I present it here in its entirety:

Title: A Media Circus in Paradise. By: Wolfson, Hannah, American Journalism Review, 10678654, Aug/Sep2005, Vol. 27, Issue 4
Database: Communication & Mass Media CompleteA Media Circus in Paradise
Contents
The Distressed Treatment
Section: DROP CAP
LETTER FROM ARUBA

An Alabama reporter discovers the press doesn't quite shine in the Caribbean sun

It's the first news conference, and the police superintendent can't find the keys. But no one's told TV. One by one, the camera crews push closer, reporters from CNN and Fox News squeezing onto the narrow sidewalk between a line of parked cars and the locked door of the police annex. Jan van der Straaten, the man in charge of Aruba's investigation into Natalee Holloway's disappearance, is stuck, and soon he's sweating in the Caribbean sun.

A few locals slow down as they drive by to see what's happening while uniformed officers smirk outside the main police station across the street. Finally the door opens and everyone tumbles inside, following van der Straaten up a narrow stairway.

Welcome to the media circus, Aruba style.

OK, I'm just a novice, a print reporter from Alabama covering what started out as a hometown story about a missing teen and mushroomed into nonstop national news. Maybe the crews that converge on events like the Michael Jackson trial and the Runaway Bride are always like this. Maybe it was just the bright tropical light and the strangeness of working in paradise that made things look so absurd. All I know is, after nine days in Aruba, I see what we in the media do--and I say we with great trepidation--in a whole new light.

In fact, looking at it from the Arubans' perspective, I'm a little confused about what we do. Most of the job seems to consist of waiting around in hotel lobbies and seeing who can shout the loudest at news conferences.

There were certainly plenty of us crammed into those daily sessions in the peaked attic room of the police annex. There were a handful of local teams from Birmingham and international crews shipped from Latin America. Then came the bookers and the producers, vying for exclusives with the cloistered mother. Then the shows with dramatic theme music, in crews as large as five. And of course, the Aruban print and radio reporters, who quickly became everyone's favorite sources of speculation.
In the early days, there was plenty to cover. The Royal Dutch Marines searched the beaches while helicopters scanned overhead. Hundreds of locals were herded onto tour buses to help with the hunt. Sources were willing to talk, suspects were arrested, and officials gave tempting hints like, "Hold your breath for 24 hours." The networks sent their satellites and set them up on the roofs of hotels, settling in for the long haul.

Then things started to get weird.

First, CNN ran a report on the island's crack dens and prostitution. Local tourism authorities were outraged. So were a couple of the local reporters, who accused the American press of sabotaging Aruba's economy. By the end of week two, it seemed half of each news conference was dedicated to berating the American press. Even the family's PR agent, who originally represented the tourism authority, was accused of a conflict of interest.

We Americans didn't do ourselves proud, either. Fed up with officials' choice to conduct the first half of each news conference in Papiamento, the local language, some crews took to shouting "English, English!" during the Q-and-A.

Along with Papiamento, Arubans speak English, Spanish and Dutch, but their legal system caused tricky translations. When the first two suspects were arrested (they were later released), the chief prosecutor said they'd been charged with a range of crimes, including murder. A day later, we found ourselves redefining the meaning of "charged" to say first "formally accused" and later "suspected." It turns out they can hold suspects for months without charging them. On July 1, more than a month after Holloway disappeared, the Associated Press had to clarify a story in which the same prosecutor was again quoted as saying three suspects had been charged.

Some of the mistakes were harder to explain. Late one Friday night, CNN reported that at least one of the suspects had confessed. AP quickly followed with a report that he was leading police to the evidence. Moments later, a half dozen news crews sped down a pitch-dark dirt road toward an abandoned beach where police were supposedly digging up a body. Nothing. Officials ranging from the original source right up to the prime minister quickly denied the initial reports.

As guiltily competitive as the rest, I crept out later that night with a Birmingham television crew that was filming distant, spotty footage of men digging in the dunes--probably just local bootleggers pulling up their stash of booze.

Theories abound as to why the media became obsessed with Natalee Holloway's story. It involved a beautiful, blond honor student with influential parents; it occurred in an exotic locale; it started while the jury was out on Jacko. Granted, much of the interest back home stemmed from honest concern about a family's loss. Natalee's mother, Beth Twitty, insisted her daughter represented something perfect and innocent that was lost, a fear that touches the heart of any parent. The outpourings of support in Natalee's hometown and on the island were real, even if they were on camera.

But it also seems the sheer lack of information also spurred the story, because it left plenty of room for speculation, especially as the case progressed. (Aruban officials said releasing details of the investigation could cause a judge to throw out their case.) Natalee had been sold into white slavery, the blogs said. Natalee had run away on a previous trip abroad, Aruban radio countered. Fellow graduates who were on the trip refused to talk: conspiracy! The lead suspect's dad is a judge: conspiracy! My favorite theory came from Aruban reporters who thought police staged the false leak about a confession to discredit American news sources.
Back home in the newsroom, I continued reporting the story by phone as my Aruba tan faded, trying to confirm information as it flashed on TV. Again and again, I heard sources on the other end sigh and say, "No, that's not right." I watched the same television personality who "broke" the news about bloodstains in a suspect's car--which turned out not to be bloodstains--criticize authorities for taking Holloway's family on an emotional rollercoaster. But who's really driving?

The Distressed Treatment
"A damsel must be white. This requirement is nonnegotiable. It helps if her frame is of dimensions that breathless cable television reporters can credibly describe as 'petite.'… She must be attractive--also nonnegotiable. Her economic status should be middle class or higher, but an exception can be made in the case of wartime (see: [Jessica] Lynch).

"Put all this together, and you get 24-7 coverage."

--Washington Post columnist Eugene
Robinson, writing on the media's
and the nation's obsession with
white damsels in distress

PHOTO (COLOR): One tiny piece of the media circus: A U.S. television news crew interviews Beth Twitty (center), mother of missing teen Natalee Holloway, in Oranjestad, Aruba. (In the background on this page is a poster released by the Holloway family.)

~~~~~~~~

By Hannah Wolfson

Wolfson covers the city of Mountain Brook, Alabama, Holloway's hometown, for the Birmingham News.

I forgot to highlight some key parts of this article.
A DAMSAL MUST BE WHITE:  Seems the requirement to get her killed, that is along with being an American tourist.  You people down there amaze me.  You let these far leftist people come in and take over your communications, ie., your life and when it gets unbearable you first blame it on the US, then call on us to come rescue you after you finally see what the problem is.  It is getting so, that we are getting tired of rescuing people who turn on us.  If you want second class, and choose it, then don't try to get us to take you on after you have been turned into slime.  We cannot use you after you have become so dirty.  Stand tall and be who you are supposed to be and prove you deserve the help from the US.      jackb
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »

OT  - Gotta run out for a chest CT... pray for me.

I am so impressed by all of our new Dutch friends.  Keeping up with the news is SO much easier now.  Thanks.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
ala_gunslinger
Monkey Junky

« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »

I am so impressed by all of our new Dutch friends.  Keeping up with the news is SO much easier now.  Thanks.

Of course we will Peaches!

Existence is futile.
Tater
Monkey Junky

« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2008, 01:16:03 PM »

Always praying for you Peaches,always...Big Hugs

Proverbs 3:5
  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
         and lean not unto thine own understanding.
jackb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #344 on: March 06, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

BREAKING NEWS[/b][/color]

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/3487159/__Ik_weet_wie_Natalee_in_zee_gooide___.html

http://www.revu.nl/10865.Ook_Van_der_Eem_stiekem_gefilmd

"I know who dumped Natalee in the sea"

about the secret taping of Patrick on Telearuba program.

"I know who Natalee threw into the sea '
By our reporters
ORANJESTAD (Aruba) - Patrick van der Eem, Joran van der Sloot for hidden cameras in the fall attracted demonstrated himself to be filmed secretly.

After an interview on Aruba with a local television station showed Van der Eem a number of spicy statements ontlokken, because he thought that cameras had been stopped.

"I know who the body is thrown into the sea," says Van der Eem in Papiaments against the Aruban interviewer. "Joran asked me to 2000 euro for that man to be silent," said van der Eem during the secretly recorded discussion.

The undercover criminal claims that he has the whole operation itself organized. "I have even invented everything, how the environment had to be equipped with microphones and plants. From minicameraatjes hidden in plants to even the Internet and telephone that were drained. "

Van der Eem also says that he expects to be a millionaire by the whole thing. "And I will make sure that Joran and his entire family in their mouth. They can better emigrate to Africa, "Van der Eem threatening.

The interview took place at the end of last month in response to the book that Van der Eem by an American journalist late. The interviewer from the station Un Dia Den Bida face of this newspaper: "I had two cameras included. After the interview I had an off and the other doordraaien. Van der Eem knew that not only was it simply answer my questions. "

The complete interview will be broadcast tonight on the Aruban television. Patrick van der Eem is now back in the Netherlands yesterday and was not reachable for comment.

Nieuwe Revu Meanwhile showed the filpmjes translate. The transcription of the document can be found here. The key passages are shown in bold.

So did Patrick say that Joran asked him for $2000 euros to pay off the person that helped him dispose of the body? This is confusing! Does it also say that he was going to record that transfer of money with hidden microphones?
  NO:  It is saying Joran gave the body thrower 2000 Euros to keep quiet.
They are trying to slander the work of Peter D. and Patrick.  The perps, as usual and their leftist cohorts are trying to confuse the issue.  Go with what you got.  The video confessions.  Concentrate on those only.  Patrick is no fool.  He would not say anything to anyone he does not want repeated on or off camera.  I believe this.   Jack b
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:59 pm    BY Glenda at RU

According to those that have seen the full 20 minutes... Patrick says that even the Police made money...

We have to wait until tonight to see if that indeed was said or just someone's interpretation. 

~~~~~~~~~Can we please get the AVY's shut off? It is taking me 3 minutes or more to load a page and I am on high speed.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »

Prayers are on the way.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bladerunner
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »

I guess we will have to wait and see what EXACTLY Patrick says in the video.
snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »

Absolutely!!  Always in my prayers Peaches.  {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #349 on: March 06, 2008, 01:29:03 PM »

BY JOS at BFN

summary>>

Patrick claims to be friends with Joran for years.

patrick says he knows who dumped Natalee's body in the sea. Joran supposedly has paid him to keep his mouth shut

Patrick made those remarks on Aruba TV. He thought the camera's were out.

One of the camera was still rolling. His remarks are translated by a translating company at request of magazine De Nieuwe revu.

"Since i know Joran for years...". This is in contradiction what he said before.

Patrick say he intends to continue to bother the VDS family with the knowledge he has.

One day Joran will fall on his face. You don't know what the other family membets are doing. I will make them bitter.

Peter's show offered new openings but the judge decided Joran could not be arrested for fantasy telling.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #350 on: March 06, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »

Sorry if this has been posted, I have a million things going on at once here.

Holloway guests fail to inspire talk show

Holloway guests fail to inspire talk show
Thursday 06 March 2008

Despite extensive publicity, Wednesday night’s Jensen television talk show delivered no new information in the affair surrounding the disappearance of US teenager Natalee Holloway.

Presenter Robert Jensen boasted repeatedly how amazing it was that four key players in the case were guests on the show but the content of their discussions were tame.

Holloway’s mother repeated several times that her co-guests - crime reporter Peter R de Vries and his accomplice Patrick van der Eem - were her ‘heroes’ for getting Joran van der Sloot to confess that that he had been with Natalee when she died.

The fourth guest, lawyer Bram Moszkowicz, appeared for no more than a few minutes to tell the audience he would be back next week.

The only exciting moment was when Jensen called Van der Sloot on Eem’s mobile phone - but the key player in the affair hung up on him.
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2008/03/holloway_guests_fail_to_inspir.php

Thanks Nut.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #351 on: March 06, 2008, 01:30:26 PM »

Prayers for you Peaches!!!!!!!!!!  (((((HUGS)))))

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #352 on: March 06, 2008, 01:31:02 PM »

www.revu.nl

Destiny
Monkey Junky

unwatched kids will be given sugar + a free puppy

« Reply #353 on: March 06, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »

Hey ya'll!

I must say, this is getting very interesting....

Yep Ala...as Elmer Fudd would say....vewwy vewwy intwesting, you siwwy wabbit Wink....can you tell my head is spinning too Wink

I Stand With The Girl *NATALEE HOLLOWAY*

Aruba Beware *AN ANGEL LIKE NO OTHER* has fallen amongst you....may you know the fury of HEAVEN!
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #354 on: March 06, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »

Peaches, I'm thinking of you too.

Hang in there girl.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
Bladerunner
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #355 on: March 06, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »

BY JOS at BFN

summary>>

Patrick claims to be friends with Joran for years.

patrick says he knows who dumped Natalee's body in the sea. Joran supposedly has paid him to keep his mouth shut

Patrick made those remarks on Aruba TV. He thought the camera's were out.

One of the camera was still rolling. His remarks are translated by a translating company at request of magazine De Nieuwe revu.

"Since i know Joran for years...". This is in contradiction what he said before.

Patrick say he intends to continue to bother the VDS family with the knowledge he has.

One day Joran will fall on his face. You don't know what the other family membets are doing. I will make them bitter.

Peter's show offered new openings but the judge decided Joran could not be arrested for fantasy telling.

Who the heck pad who, that's what I want to know, since there are two translations apparently regarding this "small" detail.
Destiny
Monkey Junky

unwatched kids will be given sugar + a free puppy

« Reply #356 on: March 06, 2008, 01:35:02 PM »

Prayers for Health...Strength...and Miracles...lighting a white candle for Peaches.....

I Stand With The Girl *NATALEE HOLLOWAY*

Aruba Beware *AN ANGEL LIKE NO OTHER* has fallen amongst you....may you know the fury of HEAVEN!
jackb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #357 on: March 06, 2008, 01:35:09 PM »

- maybe he meant he knew the case for years (instead of knowing Joran for years)....was familiar with it?
- Patrick probably tried to set up Joran himself and asked / paid a lot of people for help including police?
- the trap thing: there are some dots there also...so probably someone else involved too in that question?
- Patrick seems to know a bit more than he's letting on Wink

This is all a bit weird....this case is  just getting more complicated...hopefully the full tape will be aired tonight and translated soon. And hopefully some reactions by Patrick / Peter R. de Vries in the Dutch media tonight!

What about the 2,000 euros, what does that mean?

the way i understood it: joran asked patrick for 2000 euros to give to the guy who helped him dump the body
Buying silence

Body disposers would not have a "buy now, pay later plan."  2000 Euros would be a lot to a younger person or to someone who needed it.       j/b
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2008, 01:37:57 PM »

Posted on the front page of SM:

FL wrote:

#9 Katablog:
In short:

Patrick van der Eem, like Joran, was also filmed secretly.

After an interview witrh a local TV station Patrick said a few interesting things.

“I know who disposed the body of NH” said Patrick in Papiamento to the Aruban interviewer. “Joran asked me 2000 Euros to keep this man quiet” after the interview.

Patrick claimed this operation was his idea. I planned everything with the hidden mics and plants. Hidden mics in plants and even tapping the internet connection.

Patrick thinks he’ll become a millionair with his book. “I will make sure this whole family of Joran will fall very hard”. They can better move to Africa.

The interview took place at the end of February afer the book Patrick wrote with an American reporter. The reporter of “Un Dia Den Bida” said”I had two cameras. After the interview I switched off one camera, but not the other one. Patrick did not know this but still ansered my questions”.

The interview will be on air this evening on the Aruban TV. Patrick is back in the netherlands and was not available for an interview.

A Dutch magazine (Revu) translated the movies as seen on YouTube with an transcript. The most important parts in bold.

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2008, 01:38:58 PM »

Good Afternoon, Monkeys,

Prayers and Hugs for Peaches!!!

Anyone else think Patrick might just be messing with that reporter?  Patrick's own version of a little jokey or two?  I think he suspected he was being taped and decided to take the reporter for a little ride.

Guess we shall see but then as always, we won't be able to understand the Pap in which the program is being broadcast.  Perhaps Peter R will explain on his site in English later?

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.