April 24, 2024, 04:00:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A truly inspiring story  (Read 3026 times)
Sue
Monkey Junky

« on: March 05, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »

This is my favorite Starbuck across from my work.. I happen to be there the day this picture was taken but didnt know what it was about.. I possible thought it was about the 3 hour closures of all starbucks for training as this pic was taken the next day
When I read this article I was in tears .. the gift that some people will give to another

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/300761.html

Barista at Proctor Starbucks in Tacoma to donate kidney to customer

WILLIAM YARDLEY; The New York Times
Annamarie Ausnes is known for holding up the line at the Proctor Starbucks, carefully counting out her coins to pay for her “short drip, double-cupped” daily jolt. Over the years, barista Sandie Andersen might have rolled her eyes once or twice but she also has taken these morning moments to make conversation, to make friends.
Grandchildren? A favorite topic. That tan Ausnes was sporting once? A vacation souvenir. And then there was the small talk that day last fall.

“She reached over the counter and said, ‘I’m a blood match,’” Ausnes said last week, recalling the conversation.

Andersen said, “We both stood there and bawled.”

Andersen had made Ausnes, who has polycystic kidney disease, a special offer. On Tuesday, the two women are scheduled to go into surgery at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle. If all goes well, Ausnes, 55, will be the new owner of Andersen’s left kidney.

Andersen, 51, has worked at Starbucks for more than four years. She said that she took the job for the good corporate health benefits, which her husband’s job does not provide. Her husband, Jeff, did not realize his wife also would be providing health benefits.

“My husband said, ‘Next time someone comes in and says they don’t feel good, don’t give away another body part,’” Andersen said.

Ausnes, an administrative assistant for student government at the University of Puget Sound, said she had been buying her morning coffee at the Starbucks at North Proctor and 26th streets for three years. She has known for nearly two decades that she has a genetic kidney disease, but recently her kidney function has declined significantly.

Last year, after tests showed that family members could not provide her with a transplant, it became clear that dialysis and a wait of some years for a donor were inevitable. Ausnes never mentioned this during her daily exchanges with Andersen.

“It looked like dialysis was coming close and I just said, ‘Annamarie, you never know where a donor’s going to come from,’” recalled Wanda Ryan, the transplant coordinator at Virginia Mason who is handling her case. “‘Keep telling people your story.’”

In November, not long after that conversation, Ausnes stopped into Starbucks as usual, but this time Andersen noticed that her customer was glum. Ausnes finally told her the news, and the response was instantaneous.

“I’m going to get tested,” Andersen said.

And she did. Blood type O? Yes, a match. Negative cross-match under the microscope? Yes, perfect. The six elusive DNA markers? One of six was alike, not ideal, but good enough.

So there they were that morning last fall, crying over the counter while the coffee line grew longer.

Both women expect to be in the hospital for about a week and to be out of work for up to six weeks. Howard Schultz, the chief executive of Starbucks, called both women and told Andersen “how proud I am to have someone like you working for our company.”

She joked about Schultz’s recent, well-publicized emphasis on having employees make a “human connection” with customers. Andersen, who has done missionary work in Mexico and helped dig mud out of houses in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, said this latest gesture should not be viewed as unusually magnanimous.

People should give freely of themselves, she said, and they do more often than is noticed.

Ausnes will undergo regular monitoring and testing and will need to take medication regularly for the rest of her life to prevent her body from rejecting Andersen’s kidney, said Ryan, the transplant coordinator.

Andersen, who was interviewed extensively by the hospital to make sure she was physically and mentally stable, should be recovered in six months, charged only with keeping a slightly sharper eye on her basic health and diet.

Andersen said, “I asked my surgeon, ‘Will I be able to snowboard afterward?’ He said, ‘Do you snowboard now?’ I said, ‘No, but I’m hoping to.’”

Joran, Deepak & Satish You F***ers will never be worth anything in your life ever
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:27:21 AM »

Thank you, Sue, for the beautiful story.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
hotping
Monkey Junky

All Prayers Will Be Answered in Time!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 12:59:54 AM »

Sue..what a Great Story...My sister had a Kidney Transplant From a Donor (non family) two years ago and believe Me it is the greatest thing that can happen to a person that is having to go thru dialysis on a daily basis....Thank You Very Much for Sharing this story....Miracles Happen Every Day We just Don't Hear About All of Them..Thanks Again PC 

In God We Trust!
Prayers Will Bring Natalee Home!
May 2010 Bring Natalee Home to Rest In Peace!
snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:10 PM »

Thank you for sharing that story with us Sue.   Wonderful story.
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »

what a heart warming story of an amazing woman..thanks for sharing it

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Sue
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 02:56:44 AM »

TACOMA, Wash. -- The Starbucks barista who donated a kidney to a customer is back home.

Sandie Andersen checked out of the hospital Friday afternoon. Annamarie Ausnes, the kidney recipient, will check out sometime over the weekend.

The two women are now much more than barista and customer; they are bonded by blood.

On Tuesday, surgeons removed Sandie's left kidney and transplanted it into Annamarie. It started working immediately, giving Annamarie renewed energy and a newfound lease on life.

"I am so filled with appreciation and gratitude for this lovely woman. There's aren't enough words to say, except I'm going to be eternally grateful to Sandie for saving my life," she said. "I'm going to honor this kidney and do all the right things to take care of this kidney, which we've named 'Rose.'"

Annamarie says the rose is a significant flower for both women.

"The thorns represent the journey and the struggle you have to go through. And the outcome is it blooms into a beautiful flower," she said.

Both women have weeks of recovery ahead.

But what's happening in their bodies is only part of the story. It's also about what's happening in their souls.

"I am so just loved, and overwhelmed by that. It's pretty amazing," said Annamarie. "So my soul is wonderful."

The Starbucks barista set out to help one person. It turns out, she has helped so many more.

"We've already heard stories of people that are signing up and being tested and it's just amazing. It is humanity at its very best. And I'm glad I'm a part of it," Sandie described tearfully.

Sandie will be back at work at her Tacoma Starbucks in six weeks.

Annamarie goes back to work in eight weeks. She says she'll also return to her normal routine of stopping at Anderson's Starbucks for her morning cup of coffee.

Joran, Deepak & Satish You F***ers will never be worth anything in your life ever
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.