April 24, 2024, 03:40:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mom Power Washed 2 1/2 Year Old Daughter  (Read 3522 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 07, 2008, 11:16:29 PM »

Fla. mom who power-washed tot may face charges
Police look into pregnant woman’s punishment of 2½-year-old daughter

By John Springer
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 11:17 a.m. CT, Fri., March. 7, 2008

A Florida mother caught on tape using a pressurized hose at a car wash to discipline her toddler daughter could end up in hot water after police meet Friday to consider filing child endangerment charges.

“She appeared [to be] a parent who thought she was disciplining her child for acting up. It’s a unique form of punishment that I don’t think anyone has ever seen,” Commander Matt Irwin of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department said Friday on TODAY. “It’s not acceptable in my mind.”

The incident began on Feb. 24 when a white Hyundai Elantra pulled into a self-service bay at the Magical Car Wash in Orlando.
Although children often can be heard screaming and carrying on, manager Marlene Diaz told TODAY’s David Gregory that the shrieks she heard from one little girl that day were quite different and disturbing.

“The screams were more high-pitched. There were more cries of help,” Diaz said.

Diaz went to investigate the commotion but did not intervene. She did not get the full picture until later, when she reviewed her company’s security camera recordings.

“When I saw her, her face was red. You could see that she was crying, and that [by] the way she was crying that she was in distress,” Diaz said.

Summoned by Diaz, police later determined that the toddler’s mother, who is 22 and five months pregnant, pulled into the car wash for the sole purpose of hosing down her daughter — possibly for wetting herself in the backseat of the car.

At the end of the surveillance tape of the incident, which police seized as potential evidence, the woman is seen stripping her daughter’s soaked clothes off and wrapping her up in a towel.

Tough love or child abuse?
Diaz said she struggled to imagine what infraction the child could have committed to warrant being hosed down like that, and couldn’t come up with any excuse for the mother’s action. She said it was clear that the woman was trying to teach the child some sort of lesson.

“The mother was speaking in Spanish,” Diaz said. “She said, ‘You are not going to disrespect me. You are not going to treat me bad. Don’t worry, I’m not going to hit you now. I’m just going to spray you with cold water.’”
According to Diaz and police, the woman tested the water pressure on the hose before using it on the little girl. The car wash’s hoses have various settings that go up to 1,200 pounds per square inch, but police do not believe the water pressure the woman applied on the child was anywhere close to that.

After the surveillance tape was broadcast by the media, the woman turned herself in to police for questioning and denied abusing the child, who remains in her care, Irwin said.

“There are no physical injuries that our medical staff could find and document,” he said.

Child welfare officials were notified of the incident. Police plan to meet with them later Friday and decide whether to pursue child endangerment charges against the mother.

“We don’t know yet. We are going to roundtable that this morning,” Irwin said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23518487/?GT1=43001

(There is video footage -see link)

Personally, I fail to understand why this child wasn't removed from the mother's care until there is a thorough investigation of this incident and of the conditions in the home.  It seems to me the mother needs to be evaluated and definitely needs some parenting skills taught and supervision if the daughter is returned to her.  This child may not have shown physical signs of injury now, but what kind of mental abuse is this?  And how far might something like this go again?  And I wonder in what other creative ways the mother may have punished the little one in the past?  What about child endangerment?

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »

Orlando mother arrested for using car wash hose to discipline child
Associated Press - March 8, 2008 2:53 PM ET

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities have arrested a mother who was videotaped spraying her young daughter with a high-pressure water hose at a Florida car wash.

Deputies arrested Niurka Ramirez in Orlando on Friday on a child abuse charge.

Ramirez says she was trying to discipline her 2-year-old daughter for throwing a temper tantrum.

She told authorities she did not use the high-pressure feature on the hose when spraying the child.

A nurse reported the girl had no visible injuries 11 days after the incident.

Ramirez was released from jail early Saturday on $1,000 bail. Jail records do not list an attorney.

http://www.kxan.com/global/story.asp?s=7985957

*Even if Ramirez didn't use the high-pressure feature on the hose when spraying the child, I still think this is abuse and it's really, really wrong.  It doesn't appear she used the soap or wax feature, nor the foaming brush either.   Does this make it any better?  Dousing a very young child (or any child for that matter) with water is abusive.  And the child was hosed down for a temper tantrum?  At age 2 1/2?!  What would have the punishment have been for any other behavior the mother may have deemed unacceptable?  It reminds me of the cruel things  some people do to children that wet the bed.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »

i have to step out very often and get out of reading these kinds of stories... they enrage me to the point of unbelief!  Let me tell you I completely 100% believe in God's grace and yet I still believe that every "parent" that abuses a child should have the same done to them...

Let me hose her down.... 

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.