March 28, 2024, 02:51:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John and Elizabeth Calvert missing 3/3/08 from SC (declared dead)  (Read 34326 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »

Reward For Missing Couple Increased
Couple Missing Since March 3

POSTED: 2:04 pm EDT September 26, 2008
HILTON HEAD, N.C. -- The reward for information about a Hilton Head Island couple who have been missing for nearly seven months is up to $65,000.

Family and friends set up the reward fund, which grew by $17,000 after a fundraising cruise and $25,000 thanks to an anonymous donation by friends and family of John and Elizabeth Calvert.

The Calverts, who also have a home in Atlanta, were last seen March 3. The Calverts' yacht, The Yellow Jacket, is moored at the Harbour Town marina, where they leased and managed the marina. They lived part time on the yacht.

Liz Calvert was a member of the Converse Board of Trustees since 2004.

Dennis Gerwing, the couple's accountant, killed himself after being questioned in their disappearance.

Authorities said that Gerwing, 54, stabbed himself to death in the bathroom of a resort condominium unit his company manages. He is believed to be the last person to see the couple.

Gerwing's employer said he embezzled $2.1 million from the couple and seven other companies.

Deputies said before his death, Gerwing was not cooperating with officers investigating the couple's disappearance.

More information on the reward is available at calvertrewardfund.com.
http://www.wyff4.com/news/17566259/detail.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 09:04:16 AM »

http://www.calvertrewardfund.com/reward.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »

Police reveal evidence in missing Atlanta couple case
Dead suspect bought drop cloths large enough to be body bags

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hilton Head Island, S.C. — An accountant who was the last person to see a missing couple alive bought drop cloths large enough to be body bags and turned off his cell phone for 12 hours after meeting with his wealthy clients nine months ago, police said Wednesday.

Authorities also revealed the contents of accountant Dennis Gerwing’s suicide note, yet another piece of evidence that suggests he played a role in the couple’s disappearance.

“I have acted completely alone in all actions committed,” Gerwing wrote in the note, discovered in an apartment where his body was found about a week after the couple vanished. “I knew the risk of this happening and believe taking myself out of the game is the best way to move everyone as quickly as possible past all events. All anger should be directed towards me.”

Gerwing, who killed himself after police questioned him in the disappearance of John and Elizabeth Calvert, could have disposed of their bodies hundreds of miles from Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner told reporters. That would have given Gerwing, 54, time to drive several hours away, possibly along a dirt road somewhere, Tanner said.

“It’s the best theory that we’ve got right now,” said Tanner. “Circumstantially he is a suspect. But if he were alive and well today, there is not enough to bring about charges.”

The couple, who split their time between a yacht on Hilton Head Island and an Atlanta home, met with Gerwing on March 3. He committed suicide by slashing his neck and legs with a steak knife on March 11.

Searches on the resort island, its harbor and in Georgia have been fruitless. The note Gerwing left behind did not mention the Calverts.

Gerwing’s employer said he embezzled $2.1 million from the couple and seven other companies. He bought three heavyweight drop cloths and a box of latex gloves after the meeting, police said. None of the items have been found.

Authorities are waiting on an analysis of dirt found in Gerwing’s kitchen, evidence Tanner hopes may reveal where the Calverts were taken.

“Quite frankly, you cannot rule anything out,” the sheriff said. “It looks more like there is some dirt road somewhere, hidden from most homes — a shallow grave-type scenario.”
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/12/10/missing_atlanta_couple.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=13

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »

SC Missing Couple

Last Updated: 2:33 PM Dec 11, 2008

While there's still no sign of John or Elizabeth Calvert - Sheriff PJ Tanner is not expecting this case to end well.

Nineteen pages released today detail what happened days before and days after the Calverts disappeared: John and Elizabeth went missing March 3rd after a meeting with business associate Dennis Gerwing, who was handled the Calvert's finances. The meeting was called after Liz noticed financial irregularities.

Days after their disappearance - investigators named Gerwing a "person of interest". Tanner says during their interview with him - they noticed Gerwing had a cut on his hand. He said it was from a broken wine bottle - but Tanner says his story didn't check out. Gerwing committed suicide in the bathtub of a Sea Pines villa - leaving behind a note. In that note -he stated:

"P.S. I have acted completely along in all actions committed. I knew the risks of this happening and believe taking myself out of the game is the best way to move everyone as quickly as possible past all events. All anger should be directed towards me. Burn my body and dispose without service. It happened in SPC which is Sea Pines Center - nothing at Bent Tree house."

During their investigation - Tanner says much of Gerwing's story didn't check out.He says Gerwing purchased all kinds of incriminating evidence the day of their disappearance - including a shovel - latex gloves - and three drop-cloths.

While Gerwing told a co-worker he was using them for painting - according to the investigation report "Neither of the three drop cloths nor the box of latex gloves purchased by Gerwing were ever recovered during the searches of his business, home or vehicles."

They even found dirt on the floor of his tidy home. Tanner says Gerwing likely removed the bodies from Sea Pines and disposed of them away from Beaufort County.

While the Calverts are still missing - Tanner says they believe Gerwing is their guy.
http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/35971579.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »

Dirt may hold last hope on anniversary of island couple’s disappearance
March 2009

One year after John and Liz Calvert vanished from Hilton Head Island, a little bit of dirt may be all that’s left to tell their story.
Somewhere that dirt is sitting in an FBI lab, wrapped up, waiting for some expert to see if it holds a clue that might point detectives to their graves.

Although the couple is still officially listed as missing, Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner believes they are dead. But one year after their disappearance, Tanner still holds out hope that the couple will be found so investigators and their families finally know what happened March 3, 2008. “The case is still very active,” Tanner said Monday. “Unfortunately, we’re not getting a lot of tips or news leads, but we haven’t forgotten about it.”
Tanner believes the couple was likely murdered by Dennis Ray Gerwing, the 54-year-old Hilton Head accountant who killed himself March 11 after he was questioned in their disappearance.

Gerwing was the last person to see the couple alive and investigators later discovered that Gerwing had allegedly embezzled $2.1 million from the Calverts and other clients of The Club Group.

Liz Calvert was reportedly going to confront Gerwing about money he stole from the couple’s business accounts on March 3, 2008. Hours before that scheduled meeting, Gerwing bought three large tarps and lied to coworkers to keep them away from his office, Tanner said.

Investigators don’t know exactly what happened next, but believe Gerwing killed the Calverts and then drove five to six hours away to dump their bodies. Investigators found a dirty shovel and a small pile of dirt in Gerwing’s otherwise tidy Hilton Head Plantation home in the days after the Calverts’ disappearance and Gerwing had about 12 hours he could not account for. Tanner hopes that dirt could reveal geographical clues about where Gerwing might have buried the couple.

“We’re still waiting on the forensic results from the dirt we recovered,” Tanner said. “It’s on their list to do, they just haven’t completed it yet. We’re hoping to get something back soon.”
Gerwing killed himself after he was named as a “person of interest” in the case, just hours before he was scheduled to be questioned by investigators again. In a suicide note, Gerwing confessed to embezzling money but did not mention the Calverts by name.
Meanwhile, the Calverts’ family still hopes that someone will come forward with information about the case. Family and friends raised $65,000 for the safe return of the couple, but the reward has not generated any clues that might solve the case so far, Tanner said. Investigators believe Gerwing likely acted alone.

Liz Calvert’s brother, David White, said the family has been through a nightmare in the past year and can’t get closure without knowing where Liz and John are. He worries that as time passes, others will forget about his sister and brother-in-law.

He hopes that won’t happen before the case is solved. Anyone with information is asked to call the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office at 842- 4111 or Beaufort County dispatch at 524-2777.

http://npaper-wehaa.com/bluffton-today/9ma77u1b8T8O074y/#?article=166326

linds1980
Scared Monkey

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 03:11:24 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/24/justice.grace.coldcase.calvert/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Missing couple enjoyed life aboard their yacht
By Rupa Mikkilineni, Nancy Grace Producer
October 24, 2009 9:30 p.m. EDT

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
John and Elizabeth Calvert were last seen on March 3, 2008

They couple lived on board their yacht at Hilton Head Island

They were growing suspicious of their accountant; set up a meeting

Have information? Call (843) 524-2777. A $65,000 reward is offered

Missing Persons
Savannah (Georgia)
New York (CNN) -- John and Elizabeth Calvert enjoyed the good life on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina, friends said, but they were growing more and more suspicious of the way their business books were being handled. Things weren't adding up. Money appeared to be missing.

So they scheduled a meeting with accountant Dennis Ray Gerwing to address their concerns, recalled one close friend, Nancy Cappelmann.

The Calverts said they were meeting with Gerwing at his offices in the upscale resort community at 6 p.m. last March 3, she added.

It would be the last time anyone would see or hear from the couple.

The Calverts lived part-time on their yacht, docked at the island's Harbor Town Yacht Basin, the same marina where they managed boat slips. They spent the rest of the year in Savannah, Georgia, and also had a home in Atlanta.

They were an active, affluent couple in their mid-40s, and their absence was quickly noticed. On the evening of March 3, 2008, the evening they were to meet with their accountant, both of the Calverts' phones were turned off. Family members said it was very unusual for either John or Elizabeth Calvert to shut off their cell phones.

Family and friends called police and reported the Calverts missing on March 4, after they missed appointments and still couldn't be reached.

"I was supposed to meet John that night and he is never late, so when 20 minutes went by, I got worried and called his cell, but it went straight to voicemail, like it was turned off," Cappelmann said. She was a good friend of the couple's and worked at one of their harbor businesses.

Police and search teams scoured the island. Divers and dogs searched the harbor and found nothing.

The Calverts' small airplane was still at the island's airport and provided no clues. Their 2006 Mercedes Benz was found parked at a hotel in Palmetto Dunes, a gated community six miles from where the Calverts' yacht was docked. The Mercedes also contained no forensic clues.

In reconstructing the Calverts' last days, investigators concluded that Gerwing was worth a deeper look. They now say they believe the 54-year-old accountant was the last person to see the Calverts alive.

Gerwing ran the management company that kept the books on the Calverts' four businesses on Hilton Head Island. Authorities were already looking into possible financial improprieties involving the company, The Club Group.

They named Gerwing as a person of interest in the case about a week after the couple disappeared. An internal audit later revealed that Gerwing had embezzled $2.1 million from the Calverts and others, police said.

Gerwing committed suicide within hours of learning he was a person of interest, slashing his neck and legs with a steak knife, authorities said. He also left behind suicide notes with vague references to the Calvert case, said Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner.

Tanner said the notes indicated some acknowledgement of responsibility for his actions, but didn't say specifically what those actions might have been.

Police also gathered circumstantial evidence that seemed to point to Gerwing, including drop cloths large enough to use to wrap bodies and latex gloves purchased on the day the Calverts disappeared.

In addition, police learned that Gerwing's cell phone had been turned off for 12 hours after he was scheduled to meet with the Calverts.

If Gerwing were alive, Tanner said, police wouldn't have enough corroborating evidence to name him a suspect and arrest him.

Police executed search warrants on Gerwing's office, home and vehicles and found soil in Gerwing's kitchen. Investigators hope analysis of the dirt might provide clues to the origin of the dirt and a new location to continue searching for John and Elizabeth Calvert.

Friends and family are offering a $65,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for the Calverts' disappearance.

Police urge anyone with information about John and Elizabeth Calvert to call the tip line at (843) 524-2777. Police also are seeking help from anyone who saw the Calverts' 2006 Mercedes Benz E320, Georgia Tech license plate GT821B on or about March 3, 2008
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 08:46:42 AM »

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/1021414.html

More than a year and half after John and Elizabeth Calvert disappeared, their family plans a public memorial service in Atlanta. The family also established scholarships in each of their names.

David White, Elizabeth's brother, said he hopes the service and scholarships will help the family and community honor the couple, who vanished March 3, 2008, after a meeting with a bookkeeper they suspected had stolen money from their businesses.

"Whatever has happened to them, you've got to put them to rest," White said. "We need to turn them over to God."

The Calverts owned the company that manages the Harbour Town Yacht Basin, two boating and water sports businesses and Harbour Town Resorts, which offers 125 villas for rent.

A judge declared them deceased Oct. 22 after a hearing in DeKalb County, Georgia, White said.

White said that day was one of the most difficult of his life.

He said he is looking forward to the service, planned for 2 p.m. Nov. 15 at Northside United Methodist Church in Atlanta. He hopes it will give the couple "some dignity they have not experienced for the last year and a half."

In lieu of flowers, the families are requesting contributions to the couple's scholarships.

One will help students at Converse College in Spartanburg, from which Liz graduated in 1984. The other will go to members of Beta Theta Pi, John's fraternity, at Georgia Tech where he was in the class of 1983.

The family decided to start the scholarships because both John and Elizabeth were committed to their alma maters and valued higher education, White said.

He said establishing the scholarships was the best way to honor the couple.

"When you know it's right, it's right," he said. "Both of those are the right things to do for them."

White said he is asking people who donated to a reward fund whether they would like their money returned or donated to the scholarship funds.

The fund of about $65,000 was created to encourage people to come forward with information about the couple's whereabouts. It was never tapped, White said.

White said the couple would be pleased the scholarships will help others.

"I think we will have done the best we can do with a terrible situation," he said.

Even though the couple has been declared deceased, Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner said his investigation will continue.

Tanner said during a news conference in December that he believed Dennis Gerwing killed the missing couple. Gerwing was the chief financial officer for The Club Group, a property management and real estate firm that handled accounting for some of the Calverts' businesses. He committed suicide March 11, 2008, the day detectives publicly identified him as a "person of interest" in the case.

Gerwing is believed to be the last person to have seen the Calverts alive.

The memorial service:

A memorial service for John and Elizabeth Calvert will be at 2 p.m. Nov. 15 at the Northside United Methodist Church, 2799 Northside Drive NW, Atlanta, GA 30305.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »

Court order reveals details on how couple died

A court order declaring a missing Atlanta couple dead provides more details pointing to a suspect as their likely killer and dispels notions that they disappeared on their own, a newspaper reports.

The Island Packet of Hilton Head reported Sunday that the order issued Oct. 22 by a DeKalb County, Ga. probate judge came in response to a request from the heirs of John and Elizabeth Calvert: David White, Elizabeth's brother, and Nancy Calvert, John's aunt.

The case was handled in Georgia because, while the Calverts lived on a house boat moored in Harbour Town, they were permanent residents of Atlanta.

The Calverts were last seen on Hilton Head Island on March 3, 2008, heading to a late-afternoon meeting with Dennis Gerwing.

Investigators believe the three met to discuss funds that were missing from the Calverts' island businesses, collectively known as Harbour Town Holdings. Gerwing had embezzled not only from the Calverts, but also from other clients of The Club Group, where he was chief financial officer, investigators learned later. The Club Group, a property management company, handled many of the Calverts' business affairs, including employee leasing and accounting services.

Gerwing committed suicide March 11, 2008, after being identified as a suspect in the Calverts' disappearance.

The judge's order provides details not previously made public as well as amplification on aspects that have been reported. Among them:

— Investigators who searched Gerwing's home in Hilton Head Plantation found a holster for a pistol, but not the .22 caliber Beretta they know Gerwing owned. They testified that such a pistol is small, easy to conceal and might leave little or no blood trail because of its relatively small bullet.

— Before Gerwing's March 3 meeting with the Calverts, he took pains to make sure no other employees would be at The Club Group offices, investigators said. One Club Group employee sent on an errand by Gerwing told investigators she was "under the impression that he did not want her in the office during the meeting" with the Calverts.

As for the Calverts disappearing on their own, despite a reward fund exceeding $60,000, no one has offered information about their whereabouts, the order said. Nor do the Calverts fit the profile of people who go missing intentionally, it states. They haven't used their Blackberries, cell phones, credit cards or an ATM since their meeting with Gerwing.

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/court-order-reveals-details-190401.html?imw=Y

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »

MOVING THIS!

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.