April 26, 2024, 01:05:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Patrick Swayze / passes away from Pancreatic Cancer  (Read 28802 times)
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 08, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »

Patrick Swayze Has Pancreatic Cancer
An Expert Explains The Risk Factors And Treatments For Pancreatic Cancer

March 6,2008
(WebMD) Patrick Swayze, who starred in such blockbuster films as "Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost," has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, according to media reports. While little has been reported about the 55-year-old actor's condition, the news casts a spotlight on this often fatal form of cancer.

The pancreas is a long, flat gland that lies in the abdomen behind the stomach and produces both enzymes that aid digestion and certain hormones that help maintain the proper level of sugar in the blood.

The American Cancer Society estimates that 37,680 Americans (18,770 men and 18,910 women) will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2008. About 34,290 Americans (17,500 men and 16,790 women) will die of pancreatic cancer in 2008, making it the fourth deadliest cancer.

In a statement published in People magazine, Swayze's doctor, George Fisher, MD, an oncologist at Stanford Cancer Center in Palo Alto, Calif., said, "Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the time frame of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

Swayze's diagnosis was initially reported by the National Enquirer and New York Post, which both suggested that the cancer is more severe.

To find out more about this form of cancer, WebMD spoke to Gagandeep Singh, MD, director of hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery at the John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., and a spokesman for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCan), based in El Segundo, Calif.

>>>>the complete article
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/06/health/webmd/main3915700.shtml?source=mostpop_story

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »

Conflicting reports on Swayze cancer

American actor Patrick Swayze, best known for his roles in the movies 'Dirty Dancing' and 'Ghost', has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, 'People' magazine reported Wednesday.

Rumors were swirling last week on the Internet about the severity of his condition. Army Radio reported Thursday that Swayze was given five weeks to live and had already lost 10 kg.

Swayze's doctor, George Fisher, contradicted such reports in a statement on Thursday. "Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far.

"All of the reports stating the time frame of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

The 55-year-old actor was voted Sexiest Man Alive by 'People' magazine in 1991, is reportedly continuing his normal schedule and working on upcoming projects.

The US National Cancer Institute estimates there will be 37,680 new cases of pancreatic cancer in 2008 with 34,290 deaths in the US; only 5 percent of patients live more than five years after being diagnosed.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1204546435454&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:15:49 PM »

As far as I know, there is no cure for pancreatic cancer. My pharmacist told me this when his best friend was dying.

Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, CA is a very good hospital.  I had an episode with pancreatitis at Saint John's Health Center. I had a test to check out my pancreatic duct. I had to sign a paper to release them from any negative effects from the test. The doc said either I will be fine or I will have pain from the test irritating the duct. This was in 2003 when my daughter and I had a brief reconciliation. I took a taxi to Santa Monica and Kristi came to pick me up and take me home. Along the way, she stopped at Gelsons. She came out with three grocery bags. When we got to Hollywood, we went to a local deli where I had chicken soup. I began to have serious pancreatic pains. We went back to my apartment and she called the doctor. He said to bring me to the ER. There were several people ahead of us. By this time I was moaning audibly. The pancreas is on your right side between the rib cage and the hip. I was admitted and taken to the ER.

I was crying out from the pain and they shot me up with dilaudid. It was such a relief when the pain faded. I was in the hospital for a week. I was not allowed to eat anything. They gave me a glucose intravenous drip and I wasn't hungry. They took a pancreatic test everyday to check my levels. When I got back to normal, I realized I gained 8 lbs. from the drip.

Oh well, I don't know what else to say. The pancreas can cause more pain than you could ever believe.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience Louise. Glad to hear things haven't flared up again. Pancreatitis is a painful condition often the sufferers endure repeat bouts with the illness.
Amylase and lipase are the enzymes usually measured during these flare-ups to determine how effective treatment is.

Pancreatic cancer on the other hand is a deadly enemy. Usually from the time one is diagnosed until death occurs is very short, but of course this depends how early it is caught.

I hope Patrick Swayze has time to come to terms with his illness and pull together the threads in his life. I hope his days are pain free and full to the greatest extent possible. My prayers are with him and his family.

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 01:19:15 PM »

Amazingly, Steve Jobs survived pancreatic cancer; he had a rare type of the disease.  Even more amazing, he chose alternative therapies for several months before undergoing surgery in 2004.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »

Where there is life there is hope...always. Didn't know about this particular fella A's gonna google him though. Thanks for the heads-up.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »

Oh well, I don't know what else to say. The pancreas can cause more pain than you could ever believe.

Yes, can be severe.  It almost mimics a heart attack in the type of pain.  I was hospitalized just about a year ago now with an attack.  It was hard to take a deep breath.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:28:38 PM »

Oh, lots of little huggies for you, GreatOwl.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »

People Mag: Swayze Getting Stanford Cancer Treatments

March 14, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO -- Patrick Swayze has confirmed in People Magazine NBC11 reports that he is flying in and out of Palo Alto Municipal Airport to receive treatments at Stanford Hospital for pancreatic cancer.

Swayze, 55, said he has been relying on his wife of 32 years, Lisa, 51, for strength in battling a form of cancer that kills 75 percent of its victims within the first year

"She's there to support him through all of this," said Lisa's sister-in-law Dr. Maria Scouros.

"Whether keeping track of her husband's medications, pureeing special high fat meals for him or flying him to his chemotherapy treatments at Stanford University Medical Center -- like Swayze she is a licensed pilot -- Lisa is a pillar of strength," magazine writer Michelle Tauber reported.

People magazine said Swayze is currently undergoing a four-week cycle of chemotherapy coupled with the experimental drug Vatalanib to cut off the tumor's blood supply in hopes of shrinking it.

Vatalanib is made by Novartis of Switzerland and has been compared in its cancer-fighting attributes to the newly approved Avastin made by South San Francisco's Genentech.

Despite the grim diagnosis for most pancreatic cancer patients, Swayze has "a very limited amount of the disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far," said Dr. George Fischer, Stanford oncologist, in the original statement released to NBC11 on March 5.

"We do have our successes with pancreatic cancer," Fischer told People. "I think that each patient has the right to be hopeful and optimistic. But the sad truth is that there aren't as many (positive outcomes) as we would like."

Fischer discounted the National Enquirer report early on that stated Swayze had five weeks to live.

"We are considerably more optimistic," Fischer said. "Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family.”

People also reported that Swayze has not lost his "signature wavy hair or any serious amount of weight."

The magazine said that Swayze has "maintained his famous physique through his love of dancing and horseback riding."

"Obviously (the diagnosis) was a pretty tough scenario," Scouros said. "Both he and Lisa needed a little time together to just sit back and deal with this new reality in their lives. But he's moving forward."

http://www.nbc11.com/health/15595880/detail.html

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »

BRITISH SURGEONS ‘COULD SAVE SWAYZE’

March 16,2008
British surgeons have offered to help save the life of Hollywood heartthrob Patrick Swayze, who is dying from cancer of the pancreas.

The London team say they can now help people in the advanced stage of the disease. Without surgery victims have only a five per cent chance of surviving five years.

Kito Fusai, the surgeon heading the team at the Royal Free Hospital in London, said: “If he [Swayze] came over here we would operate on him. It would be a pleasure.”

The new technique, expected to save hundreds of lives in Britain every year, was performed for the first time in December.

It involves removing part of the portal vein that sits behind the pancreas and replacing it with part of the jugular vein from the patient’s neck.

Pancreas tumours frequently spread to the portal vein which runs behind the pancreas and touches it. Until now surgeons did not have the skills to perform this highly intricate operation.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/38201/British-surgeons-could-save-Swayze-

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »

I wonder why Swayze refuses the British doctors?

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »

Patrick Swayze's 'Advanced Cancer' Treated With Experimental Drug

20th Mar 2008
The 55-year-old Dirty Dancing star is currently being treated with chemotherapy and doses of new drug Vatalanib at Stanford University Medical Center, it's claimed.

Only patients with inoperable pancreatic cancer that has spread to other organs are candidates for this experimental treatment, reports OK!

Despite this, a source close to Patrick tells the mag: "If there is anyone who can beat this, it is Patrick. He is determined. His attitude is fantastic. He has a great support system.

"We are being extremely optimistic. Patrick will be in that five percent who survive this."

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/41252/patrick-swayzes-advanced-cancer-treated-with-experimental-drug

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »

PATRICK SWAYZE - PILOT SWAYZE GETS SPECIAL TREATMENT FOR HOSPITAL TRIPS

10/04/2008

PATRICK SWAYZE has been granted special permission to use a NASA airstrip in California, so he can fly himself to hospital for cancer treatment.
Moffett Federal Airfield near San Francisco is designated for government use only and is totally closed to civilians - but the actor and flying fanatic has reportedly been using the runway to jet between his home in southern California and Stanford University Medical Center.
A source tells Florida's Palm Beach Post newspaper Swayze is using the ex-navy base to avoid the paparazzi when he makes bi-monthly trips for chemotherapy.
The Dirty Dancing star was earlier this year (08) diagnosed with deadly pancreatic cancer, but his wife Lisa Niemi this week (8Apr08) revealed the 55-year-old is responding well to radical treatment doctors hope will save his life.
She said, "We're thrilled and grateful for the positive response Patrick has shown towards his treatment.
"We can't help but feel that all the prayers, meditations and good thoughts sent his way by everyone has made a difference."

http://tinyurl.com/5u47sm

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »

Patrick Swayze Puts Assets Into Living Trust

April 24, 2008
We recently got word that Patrick Swayze was responding well to his cancer treatments, but now we've learned he's getting his affairs in order to prepare for the worst.

Patrick has put all of his real estate into a living trust, which has left fans wondering just how healthy he is at this point. These papers are usually filed when a person is on the verge of dying, and want to make sure their final wishes are carried out.

On the flip side, many people, especially celebrities and wealthy people, do this long before they pass, so that it's not something they or their family have to worry about in their final days. We're hoping Patrick is just doing the latter, and that he's able to beat the terrible pancreatic cancer he's enduring.

http://www.hollyscoop.com/patrick-dempsey/patrick-swayze-puts-assets-into-living-trust_15715.aspx

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 07:41:53 PM »

In Cancer Battle, Do Appearances Deceive?

July 23, 2008
As Patrick Swayze walked through Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday, evidence of the pancreatic cancer diagnosis he received earlier this year was conspicuously absent.

He greeted reporters with a smile, and when asked about his health, he gave a thumbs-up and replied, "I'm a miracle, dude, I don't know why."

As the media single out Swayze for his healthy looks despite his disease, another public figure's appearance has also been the subject of speculation -- but on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs was diagnosed with the same disease in October 2003 and had surgery the following year to remove a pancreatic tumor.

Though his condition was thought to have been cured by the surgery, last month when he spoke at the company's annual developers conference Jobs seemed to have lost a significant amount of weight, leaving investors questioning the state of his health.

On average, patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer have only a one-in-20 chance of being alive five years after the cancer is found, according to the National Cancer Institute.

The average life expectancy is grim as well. The patient-advocacy group Pancreatic Cancer Action Network reports that 75 percent of pancreatic cancer patients die within a year of their diagnosis.

While Wall Street-watchers might search for slight indications of trouble ahead, medical experts say that you simply can't judge cancer patients by their appearance.

"Looks can be deceiving, and it can happen in either direction," says Dr. Michael Fisch, director of the general oncology program at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

Fooled by Face-Value

For one, a person's seemingly ill outward appearance could actually indicate that they are undergoing treatment and not that they are in the stages of advanced disease.

"Some people can really look terrible right after a dose of chemotherapy, and then they look better," says Dr. Steven Greer, CEO of The Healthcare Channel. "That's not indicative of them being on their deathbed."

>>>>the complete article
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5428968&page=1

Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 10:40:39 PM »

In reading back when this thread was started I noticed Patrick was landing at Moffett Field.  Husband was stationed there a couple of times and I worked at Stanford.

Now Steve Jobs would not have to travel very far because he either lives in Los Altos or very near which is not far from Palo Alto , where Stanford is located.

One of my cousins had pancreatic cancer. I think he made it about 5 years. Like the article said though, looks can be so deceiving in health and Cancer of any kind.. Ask Peaches or me or Terry or multiple others. JMHO
Sam

Just a swinging with the tribe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 10:23:19 PM »

Patrick Swayze plans documentary for family to watch after his death

Patrick Swayze is planning on shooting a video-documentary for his family to watch after his death.

The 56-year-old star, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer early this year, will film a special episode of his forthcoming series 'The Beast" as a documentary that would have behind scenes footage of the production.

The episode will apparently have his brother, Don, under the direction of Swayze's wife, Lisa Niemi, reports Contactmusic.
However, the 'Dirty Dancing" star insists that he's feeling healthy and looking forward to recovery but wants to give his family something to remember him by when the time eventually comes for his demise.
Patrick Swayze is an American dancer, actor, and songwriter. His best-known movie roles were as the surfer, philosopher, and bank robber Bodhi from the film "Point Break"
http://living.oneindia.in/insync/2008/patrick-swayze-video-documentary-260908.html

Watch our sneak-peak video clip of Patrick Swayze in his new A&E series, "The Beast," which premieres in January 2009.

The actor began filming the series after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last March. In August, he celebrated his 56th birthday -- happy and healthy after responding well to treatment -- on the set of "The Beast."

http://www.wxyz.com/entertainment/entertainmenttonight/story.aspx?content_id=48b50118-e414-4632-881b-b0c43d19ca0f

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 06:03:33 PM »

Swayze checks into hospital with pneumonia
By DERRIK J. LANG ASSOCIATED PRESS
Jan. 9, 2009, 4:28PM
LOS ANGELES — Patrick Swayze has checked himself into the hospital for observation after contracting pneumonia, A&E President Abbe Raven announced Friday at a meeting of the Television Critics Association.

Swayze was scheduled to appear to discuss his upcoming drama The Beast.

Robert DeBitetto, A&E’s programming senior vice president, explained his absence.

Robert DeBitetto, A&E’s programming senior vice president, explained his absence.

“Patrick has asked that I tell you that this morning he checked himself into the hospital for observation,” said DeBitetto. “Chemotherapy can take its toll on the immune system, and illnesses are a part of that. Patrick wishes me to tell you that he’s very sorry he cannot attend, but plans to get back to promoting The Beast soon.”

Swayze’s spokeswoman, Annett Wolf, confirmed that Swayze was in the hospital but would not provide additional details.

“In light of the news today, it’s a bump in the road,” said Vincent Angell, one of the show’s co-executive producers. “We wish him all the best.”

In the series, which premieres Jan. 15, Swayze plays an FBI veteran who trains a rookie partner played by Travis Fimmel. Producers said they found out Swayze had cancer four hours after learning A&E had picked up the series. They also said filming was completed on all episodes of the first season and hope Swayze could continue in the role for a second season.

“He’s an inspiration,” said Fimmel. “He makes the little things seem so not important.”

Earlier this week, Swayze told ABC’s Barbara Walters that his yearlong battle with pancreatic cancer put him “through hell” while he pushed ahead on his new TV series.

The 56-year-old actor also owned up to his fear: “Yeah, I’m scared. Yeah, I’m angry. Yeah, I’m (asking), ‘Why me?’”
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6203304.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »

Hmmm I wonder if it is that his immune system is compromised or is he still smoking?

++++++++++

Patrick Swayze caught smoking on the set of 'The Beast'

August 18th 2008, 11:35 AM

Patrick Swayze caught smoking on the set of 'The Beast'

By KORIN MILLER
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, August 18th 2008, 11:35 AM
LA-Tom/DS-ISM/Flynet

Patrick Swayze lit up while talking to a crew member on the set of 'The Beast.'

Patrick Swayze is still smoking, despite his battle with cancer.

The veteran actor, who announced in January that he has pancreatic cancer, has been photographed puffing away on the set of his new A&E TV series, "The Beast."

Swayze took a breather from playing an FBI agent who is investigated by an internal affairs team late last week to chat up two members of the crew as he savored his smoke break.

Swayze, 56, has been a smoker for years, and has admitted to blazing through up to three packs a day at one point.

The "Dirty Dancing" star came under fire in March after he was caught lighting up after undergoing chemotherapy treatment at Stanford University Medical Center.

Despite the smoking, the actor is looking healthier these days. After appearing gaunt at an L.A. Lakers game in May, a fit-again Swayze announced in late July, "I'm a miracle, dude!"

Recent studies suggest that smoking a pack or more a day can dramatically increase a smoker's risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

Swayze's rep had no comment on Monday

http://tinyurl.com/8t4ztg

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 03:11:30 AM »

My Grandmother died of Pancreatic Cancer

She never drank alcohol, she never smoked, she never SWORE even.

She ran her own business which was a Mom and Pop Grocery Store - worked 10-12 hours a day all her life .. she was the cashier, boss, butcher, everything .. sun up to sun down - for over 30yrs.

Which created daily unbelievable Stress and lack their of proper nutrition - and or eating healthy period. (for adults) My personal belief is and is proven by many that we all have Cells that are pre-determined cancerous cells and it takes Years of Stress/Poor Nutrition for them to mutate and become malignant.

My Beloved Grandma, She never was sick a day in her life. Never a Cold nothing. And then BOOM she was diagnosed after having a bout of pain in her back - and She passed away within 10 wks of being diagnosed with PC - at 56 yrs old

I am not so sure about Patrick's true diagnosis or his Stage of what he has - But from all that I have read and known is that Pancreatic Cancer is quick and deadly.

Sad

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.