April 19, 2024, 10:07:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gosh!!! I sure was married too late!!!  (Read 2557 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: March 11, 2008, 11:42:41 PM »

It is hard to believe that this existed.

http://www.robinsweb.com/humor/good_wife.html

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:13:21 AM »

I can vouch for the fact that it did exist before women's liberation. He and I both worked full time. He drove the car my mother bought. I rode the bus ... pregnant. After getting home, I had to cook, serve, wash dishes while he was busy reading Time Magazine. I also had to clean the house, wash clothes and iron them while he was busy with his hobbies. It was so unfair. I was really happy when we divorced.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:11:09 PM »

In the 50's I was doing all those things after I got home from school.  My mother worked 6 days a week.  I can remember doing the wash, fixing some of the basic things for dinner, having to dust and vacuum the house every single day.  Who does that these days?  I could never figure that one out.  We lived in a 2 bedroom lower apartment.  In the winter I remember having to pour water into the trays that were built into the radiator covers.  I did the wash and hung the clothes on the back porch to dry, even in the winter.  Sometimes they hung in the basement.  I had dishpan hands by the time I was 12.  I remember being on my hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor once a week.

My fondest memory was getting the iron grinder out and stuffing baloney into it along with pickles and shelled peanuts to make a sandwich spread.  We were allowed only one glass of milk at night because it was so expensive.  As a treat I could get one 5 cent coke a week, usually on Friday evening.

snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »

This isn't how it's done today?  lol  Seriously I did it like this until about 10 years ago.  That's how momma did it afterall.  I even use to iron blue jeans.  Till I got a life that is. lol  I'm still kindof old school, but thankfully times they have a changed. lol

Wow!!
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »

Oh mercy that brings back some memories....I stood on a stool and ironed sheets!!!  eeerrrrr that was a L O N G time ago

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »

Yup, I can remember that also.  Not only sheets but I ironed hankerchiefs, kitchen towels, Bath towels.  Just about anything that was straight was left to me.  My mom did the shirts and difficult stuff.  I must have been around 8 at the time.  I remember we had a mangle for a couple of months on trial.  That was a neat machine.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.