April 20, 2024, 04:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Black Dahlia  (Read 45110 times)
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 26, 2006, 12:23:31 PM »

This case is about to be a new movie.... I think it comes out next month.   The victim's name was Elizabeth Short, she was from the Boston area and moved to Hollywood to become an actress. She was very beautiful with black hair that she usually wore flowers in.  This case happened in 1947 and was one of the most brutal murders of its time.  Elizabeth was found in a lot nude and surgically cut in half... and posed in an "artful" pose.

There are sites where the original photographs are available.. but I heeded the graphic warning and didn't look - I am not anyone that can handle that kind of graphic scene.

Anyway, I saw a movie a long time ago -early 70's - I was in 5th grade or so and have read about or watched news about this case ever since.  I guess it is truly my first case that I followed.  

Anyone want to discuss?  I have emailed some monkeys that may know more about this to ask them to fill us in....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 06:01:06 PM »

Website with background in the case:
Note:  Graphic photos don't automatically come up, you have to click on the link to the photos.  

http://www.bethshort.com/

Who Was Elizabeth Short?
Born July 29, 1924, in Hyde Park, Mass., Beth Short was daughter of Phoebe and Cleo Short. They soon moved to Medford, Mass.
Her legal name was Elizabeth Short (no middle name). While a child, many called her Betty, and as she matured, she preferred to be called Beth.

In 1929, Cleo disappeared, many believing he had committed suicide, as his empty car was found near a bridge. He later sent a letter to his wife, apologizing for leaving. Phoebe refused to allow him to return.

Beth matured quickly. She grew up to become a beautiful teenager - she looked older and more sophisticated than others her age.

As a child, Beth frequently attended movies with her mother. And later, the girl's goal was to work in movies.

At age 19, Beth ventured to Vallejo, Calif., to live with her father. The stay did not last long, however. Her father asked her to leave because he said she was lazy and stayed out late.

Near Santa Barbara was Beth's next stop. It was here where she was arrested for underage drinking. After her arrest and fingerprinting, police instructed the young woman to return home to Medford.

At one time she had gone home for a visit, but Beth was determined to be in movies, and returned to Hollywood.

It was mid-January, 1947, when Beth was last seen alive at the Biltmore Hotel. It was reported that she was to meet a gentleman. After leaving the hotel, she was never again seen alive.

Her body was found, severed, in the Crenshaw District January 15, 1947.

Rumors vs. Fact

Probably the biggest problem with the case knowledge today is the lack of evidence, and lack of openness when it comes to describing Elizabeth Short's life. As we gain more information, we'll be posting more about who Elizabeth Short was, and the possible reasons (there are hundreds of rumors) of why someone would want to kill her.

What We Know

Beth Short was a wannabe actress who fled to California to make a go of it. She had a genital defect that rendered her incapable of having standard intercourse. Nonetheless, she was a beautiful girl and so young when she was murdered.

We know that Beth Short frequented nightspots in California, and that over time, she may have been able to develop more fully as a woman.

We even have speculations as to her killer.

Rumors and Speculations

Elizabeth Short knew Marilyn Monroe.
Elizabeth Short loved servicemen.
Elizabeth Short had an affair with George Knowlton, father of Janice Knowlton, the author of Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer.

The young woman often dressed in all black, and attempted to woo various types of men.
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:29:36 PM »

Speculation is that the reason she was never known to have sex was that she had some kind of congenital anomaly that would not permit her to have sex, based on the fact that she dated frequently and rarely if ever dated the same man twice, and no one that she ever went out was known to have sex with her.

Her "posed" and "mutilated" body was at the corner of a busy intersection in an upper middle class neighborhood.  

There was one report I read that indicated a doctor had killed her, had dissected her with a rendition of a guillotine that not only decapitated but removed limbs.  

I wonder if we will ever know the real truth about this.  I heard it speculated in Europe that Natalee Holloway's disappearance and/or demise was being compared in some circles to the Black Dahlia, but never heard what it was based on and whether or not it was information gleaned from records or whether the sporter and guido where just running their mouths in bars.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 06:34:11 PM »

Hodel began working on the case after he retired from the LAPD when he chanced upon an intriguing piece of evidence that led him on trail that he had no choice but to follow since it pertained directly to him. As he dug deeper, he came to believe that the killer was also responsible for over a dozen other unsolved murders in the Los Angeles area around the same time. He also found copious evidence of corruption at the LAPD, leading him to accuse the department top brass of covering up the Black Dahlia murder in order to conceal a deeper conspiracy involving crooked politicians and gangsters.

Read the last sentence.  Sound familiar?  Anything like Aruba?

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 06:49:59 PM »

I believe Hodel also had a photograph that was in his family photo album that he brought to an expert thinking it was Elizabeth Short.

The expert said that there were too many difference in bone structure of the face and other technical jargon and in his opinion did not think it was her.

Mr. Hodel still feels that his father murdered her and also many others.

spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 03:10:24 AM »

Thanks Mrs Red for creating this thread.
This case is very graphic...I havent been able to bring myself to look at the photos either.
I first heard about it during that show on E! that AJ Benza hosted several years ago. Hopefully with the new movie coming out more info about the case will emerge as well.
I had heard about this guy that thought his father did it. Need to read up on that. It seems there were several people that confessed to it which reminds me of "dude that confessed to JonBenet murder" and yes I know his name but I am following Glen Becks lead and refusing to mention his name in the case that he is all about publicity and nothing more. I am sick of these sickos getting so much publicity. I really wish I didnt know "dudes" name that killed John Lennon too. He only wanted to be linked to Lennon and unfourtunatly he succeded in that. MSM even had the nerve to air a special on "dude that killed John Lennon" on the anniversary of Johns death!!!! Think I'll refer to Joran as "Dutch boy" from now on too.
Anyway I'm gonna go look for some stuff on Beth Short, will post anything I find.

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 03:14:40 AM »

ok ya'll!!! I just looked at a couple of the photos and WARNING!!!!!!!
I DONT RECOMEND VIEWING THEM!!!
I need to watch Comedy Central now so I dont have nightmares.
DONT LOOK AT THE PHOTOS!!!!!!!

Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:31:24 AM »

heres a site with info about the new movie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387877/

Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »

Thanks Mishy!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 02:02:23 PM »

More info found here:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/famous/dahlia/index_1.html

Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »

I bet that will be a good movie!  That case has always been very fascinating.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 12:04:13 PM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
Thanks Mishy!

I meant thanks Spooky!!  and TYLER... it will be a very fascinating movie I think, that case is just so many twists and turns...

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 12:24:19 PM »

Thanks Mishy!

I meant thanks Spooky!!  and TYLER... it will be a very fascinating movie I think, that case is just so many twists and turns...

Movie looks awesome....

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 01:35:17 PM »

This case has fascinated me FOREVER!  I remember reading about this when I was a kid!  I've seen a couple specials on Court TV or one of those other channels.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 02:18:50 PM »

I dont' know why, but I lean toward the doctor... or the "limping" guy the CTV article mentions...

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 02:26:38 PM »

I dont' know why, but I lean toward the doctor... or the "limping" guy the CTV article mentions...

Dr. would make sense.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 03:42:30 PM »

Did you read the articles from CTV? I got to chapter 13 and need to finish tonight... they have very interesting stuff. I need to walk across the street and go to the library this week and get some books on this....

Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 11:45:11 PM »

I do not know,and I will not hazard a guess.It was a graphic murder,it will be a good movie,but like Jack the ripper,only the shadow knows.roll tide.I think that justice is coming.i think the flipping will begin,soon.cat

Live with hope,looking for justice
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 11:47:56 PM »

Please support themMy 12 year old neighbor gave her hair,so what a few platelets.It is a nice to place to visit.cat

Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 01:18:53 PM »

Yes,I have gotten curious.I do not find it at like aruba,but more Jack the ripper.I think the Dr makes sense,but I don't know

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.