April 26, 2024, 01:41:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nadia Kajouji, 18 - Ottawa Canada (Body Found)  (Read 49367 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 15, 2008, 11:03:39 AM »

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080314/missing_girl_080314/20080314?hub=Canada

Parents plead for help to find Carleton U. student
Updated Fri. Mar. 14 2008 7:06 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The parents of a missing Carleton University student are pleading for the public's help to find their daughter.

Nadia Kajouji, 18, has not been seen since March 9 when she returned to Ottawa after spending reading week with her family in Brampton, Ont.

"I love her. Her friends love her. Her family loves her. Everybody's worried and thinks about her. We just want her back home," her mother, Deborah Chevalier, told CTV Ottawa.

Her parents have travelled to Ottawa, trying to assist police in the search and they spoke to CTV Ottawa Friday. They're hoping media attention may help them track down Nadia.

"Something really bad happened," her father, Mohamad Kajouji, said before breaking down in tears. He said he hasn't been able to stop crying since his daughter's disappearance, which he said was uncharacteristic.

"It's tough not knowing," Chevalier added.

She said that Nadia seemed to be depressed lately and had an argument with a friend Sunday, the same day she went missing.

Ottawa police say foul play is not suspected at this time.

"There's no exact place to search . . . she just hasn't returned home," Const. Alain Boucher of the Ottawa Police Service told CTV.ca.

Nadia's mother says they fear something horrible has happened, but they won't give up.

"We've got to keep going. As long as there's no word, there's hope, right," Chevalier said.

Her mother hopes that Nadia might have gone to stay with a friend in order to "cool off." She pleaded with her daughter to come home.

Nadia's grandmother in Brampton, Menna Chevalier, spoke to CTV.ca Friday morning and said she "was in terrible shape and couldn't sleep."

She said she wanted to get her granddaughter's face in the media, in hopes that someone in the public might recognize her.

She described Nadia as an ambitious, happy-go-lucky student and said she had "never, never" disappeared or taken off without telling her family before.

"Something terrible had to have happened," Menna Chevalier said in a strained voice.

Nadia returned to Brampton last week for spring break but "wasn't well," according to her grandmother. She spoke to her granddaughter over the phone and said Nadia promised to "come home for Easter."

Nadia, a first-year public affairs and policy management student, was last seen by someone in her dormitory at Carleton University Sunday.

Boucher said that there has been no communications from Nadia and police have no indications where she could have gone. He said that police did not believe she had any access to a vehicle.

Her aunt, Candita Martens-Mills has created a Facebook page to help look for her. The group already has over a 200 members.

Martens-Mills said that she has been in contact with some of Nadia's friends and they had told her that many of Nadia's belongings, including her cell phone, wallet and identification, were still in her dorm room.

"This is completely out of character -- it's not her," Marten-Mills told CTV.ca.

Nadia is described as being of a Mediterranean complexion with dark skin at 5'8, and 130 pounds. She has hazel eyes and shoulder-length brown hair with blonde streaks and has eyebrow and tongue rings.

Anyone with any information about Kajouji is asked to contact Ottawa police at 613-236-1222, ext. 3726.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:16:03 PM by Observer » Logged
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »

Police Hunt For Missing Student In Ottawa

March 16, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario (AHN- Ottawa police have intensified its search efforts for 18-year-old Carleton University student Nadia Kajouji who was reported missing March 9.

Kajouji has not been seen since going back to Ottawa after spending a week with her family in Brampton, Ontario. She was last seen on the morning of March 9 at Prescott House, one of the university's student dormitories.

Ottawa police have no lead on her missing or any trace of her whereabouts saying "no exact place to search. She just hasn't returned home."

>>>the complete article
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7010348679

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »

Missing teen's family offers $50,000 reward

March 16, 2008

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=286d9ad6-6715-408f-8d16-d73a4f2a4719&k=2760

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »

Still no word on missing Carleton student
Family, community anxious but staying positive

Thu Mar 20
A concerned Carleton community is questioning the disappearance of Nadia Kajouji following  searches on and off-campus which have failed to provide any leads. It has been more than 10 days since the first-year student was seen.

“I just ask her to come home,” said Kajouji’s aunt, Candita Martens-Mills, who broke down in tears when speaking about her niece’s disappearance.

Eighteen-year-old Kajouji, a public affairs and policy management student, was last seen by her Prescott House suitemates at around 11 p.m. March 9.

Kajouji was discovered missing after her suitemates brought in a residence fellow to turn down the loud music playing from Kajouji’s room for more than a day. After knocking on the door repeatedly and eventually entering, Kajouji’s room was found empty, with her wallet and cell phone on her desk.

Kajouji’s aunt said her niece is a gifted student who wants to become a lawyer one day.

>>>>the complete article
http://www.charlatan.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20035&Itemid=148

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »

Divers search river near Carleton for missing student
Parents consider hiring private investigator

March 21, 2008
The parents of a missing Carleton University student are considering hiring a private investigator to find their teenage daughter.

“It’s something my wife and I have to discuss, but we are seriously thinking about it,” said Mohamad Kajouji, father of Nadia Kajouji, who went missing from the campus 12 days ago.

His wife, Deborah Chevalier, returned to Ottawa on Wednesday night to assist in the search for their daughter. Up to then, she remained at the family’s Brampton home in case their 18-year-old daughter returned there.

Nadia was last seen around the residence building Prescott House on the morning of March 9.

The only clue her father has uncovered is an e-mail she sent on the night she disappeared, indicating she was going skating at around 11:30 p.m.

Police were stationed at the university and were working with campus security officers Thursday.

Ottawa Police Sgt. Uday Jaswal, a qualified master searcher who has experience looking for missing persons, said they have used a marine unit to comb the banks of the Rideau River after receiving new information.

“We are currently interviewing friends and family and are looking at information from other sources, including video cameras,” Jaswal said, adding that police are still holding out hope they’ll “make contact with her soon.” Police believe no foul play was involved in her sudden disappearance.

For the first time since his daughter went missing, Kajouji believes police are only now beginning to search seriously for Nadia.

“I just now feel someone is starting to take this seriously. I feel they are actually looking for her,” he said.

He’s confident police will find Nadia “dead or alive.” The family has offered a $50,000 reward for her safe return.

Kajouji said police told him that they are going to be looking more into the e-mail Nadia sent her roommate at 9:43 p.m. on the night she went missing.

Police believe she was wearing a long winter coat and boots at the time. She also left her music playing loud enough that her roommates had to ask someone come in shut it off the following day.

He said police are almost certain she wasn’t going anywhere inside.

“They said she wasn’t dressed to go meet someone in the building and they seemed to think that she was going out on the town,” said Kajouji.

It’s been an emotional rollercoaster ride for the 58-year-old father, who’s been in Ottawa since March 13 frantically searching for his daughter.

She left behind her wallet, cash and credit cards. Her cell phone was missing and hasn’t been on since March 10.

She also had some bus tickets and her iPod sitting on her desk.

His employer, Costco, is paying for his hotel room and have put up flyers across all of their locations.

“I was really down in the dumps but Costco really lifted me up again. They are helping so much. I am really grateful,” he said.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/03/20/5065026.html

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »

"The only clue her father has uncovered is an e-mail she sent on the night she disappeared, indicating she was going skating at around 11:30 p.m."

I wonder does this mean Nadia was going skating at 11:30 that night? That would certainly be a strange hour to do any type of outdoor skating in Ottawa. So maybe the indoor rinks are open really late? Maybe she emailed about it at that hour but was actually making an appointment for the following day? I am slightly confused by this .........

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »

Missing student talked about harming herself, anguished father says

March 27, 2008
Nadia Kajouji had an online conversation with someone who tried to "discourage her from doing anything stupid or silly because she had a wonderful life ahead of her" the day she disappeared from her Carleton University dorm room, her father said yesterday.

Mohamad Kajouji, who met with Ottawa police investigators on Tuesday, said he had also learned that his 18-year-old daughter, who was taking anti-depressants, had mentioned the possibility of harming herself in the weeks leading up to her disappearance.

Mr. Kajouji said the online conversation happened after his daughter became upset when arrangements to move into an apartment with a friend fell through.

"I'm hoping, I'm praying to God, that somehow she listened to whoever it was," he said.

Although Mr. Kajouji has held to his belief that his daughter would not be capable of hurting herself, he said yesterday that suicide appeared to be a possibility, based on the new information.

"Not if she's sober. The only way she could do it was if she took her medication," he said, adding he still believes his daughter may have run away, fallen in the snow and passed out or been a victim of foul play.

Mr. Kajouji said details that have emerged since his daughter was last seen have surprised and saddened him. Ms. Kajouji, last seen by her roommates at about 11:30 p.m. on March 9, had been struggling in school and had missed classes.

"The behaviour, the counselling, the doctors, depression medication. That was nothing like my daughter," Mr. Kajouji said. "The girl needed help and her life was going downhill."

Mr. Kajouji said he was disappointed that nobody alerted him to his daughter's behaviour before she disappeared, although he admitted he had overlooked changes in her character.

"If somebody knew these little things that were happening in her life, why couldn't they say, 'Listen, your daughter is having difficulty, maybe you should sit down and talk with her or get her some help'," he said.

"I didn't know she almost gave up. If I knew during her reading week (when Ms. Kajouji was at home in Brampton), there's no way I would let her go back.

"I'm the guiltiest person on this Earth because how could I not see what was happening to my daughter?"

Mr. Kajouji met with police Chief Vern White and discussed the case with investigators on Tuesday after members of his family criticized the force's handling of it.

Family members questioned the length of time it took before a ground search was launched and Ms. Kajouji's computer was seized. Mr. Kajouji had said it was frustrating that it took three days for his daughter to be reported missing, which cost police what he described as "critical" days early in the investigation.

Mr. Kajouji said he told Chief White of the concerns during their meeting.

"I told him how frustrating it was and I didn't blame it on the officers," he said. "He was very understanding."

Chief White said he did not discuss specifics of the case with Mr. Kajouji during the meeting, which he described as "two parents talking."

"It was probably the most personal discussion I have had in 26 years of policing," said Chief White, who has an 18-year-old daughter. "It was more than anything letting him know that we care," he said.

Police continued to analyse Ms. Kajouji's computer yesterday. Mr. Kajouji said further volunteer searches were planned for the university campus and surrounding area.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=ec957217-8346-4f2d-81ed-9803ce5f54a6&k=34445

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 07:12:12 AM »

Volunteers follow canal in search for missing teen

March 30, 2008
The last time Mark Bennett came to Ottawa was when he was 16 years old. Then he took a tour of the Parliament Buildings.

Yesterday, his visit was much more sombre.

Mr. Bennett, now 40, was part of a search party that walked along the Rideau Canal looking for clues about the disappearance of Nadia Kajouji -- the 18-year-old first-year Carleton University student who was last seen three weeks ago today.

"This has been hard on everybody -- especially for the parents," said Mr. Bennett, a friend of Ms. Kajouji's parents.

He drove five hours from his home in Brampton -- Ms. Kajouji's hometown -- to take part in the volunteer search.

"People are definitely helping out," he said, referring to the 16 volunteers walking down the winding path to Hog's Back, searching for any signs of Ms. Kajouji. "I know the family is very appreciative of all the help."

Prior searches have seen police, campus security, friends, family and other volunteers comb the campus for any trace of Ms. Kajouji.

Sgt. Uday Jaswal, who is co-ordinating the Ottawa police investigation, said police have no specific information with respect to Ms. Kajouji being seen in the Hog's Back area.

But he said police had "provided some information" about the case to Ms. Kajouji's parents, which it appeared they were following up on.

Ottawa resident Sylvia Galka used Facebook to organize yesterday's search.

Ms. Galka isn't a Carleton student, nor does she know Ms. Kajouji, but she wants to help.

She has taken part in several searches in and around the Carleton campus, including one that lasted until 4:30 a.m. Friday, with a follow-up search that started less than four hours later.

Ms. Galka said Ms. Kajouji's mother, Deborah Chevalier, requested that the volunteers search the Hog's Back area.

According to what Ms. Kajouji's parents have told the media, their daughter e-mailed a friend the day she disappeared to say she planned to go skating that same night.

"We're here for Nadia's mom today," Ms. Galka said, while glancing at the river below.

"We're walking the route that could have been walked," she said, her voice trailing off.

Ms. Chevalier met with the searchers at the Carleton O-Train station -- adjacent to the campus residence where Ms. Kajouji had been living -- when they started their search at 1 p.m., but she did not take part.

When approached by reporters, she declined to speak about the day's events.

A message left for Ms. Kajouji's father, Mohamad Kajouji, who had been expected to be present at yesterday's search, was not immediately returned.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=9b9c4c56-22c6-444f-986f-ecf51247851e

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 07:10:05 AM »

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/04/07/5216056-sun.html

Father of missing girl loses hope

Grieving father gives up hope missing Carleton student will ever be found alive

TORONTO -- On a warm spring day, yellow ribbons encircle the trees on their front lawn, in vain.

They sent her off to Carleton University last fall --a popular, outgoing Ontario scholar with everything to live for. They trusted all the recruitment brochures that promised their daughter Nadia would be safe as she left their nest for the very first time.

Now Deborah Chevalier and Mohamad "John" Kajouji are left alone in their Brampton home, facing the heart-breaking realization the only child they share is never coming home.

And they place the blame squarely on the school they entrusted with her care.

Yesterday marked four weeks since the 18-year-old public affairs student disappeared from her dorm room, telling a friend online she was going skating despite a blizzard that had blanketed Ottawa with 52 cm of snow. She left behind her wallet and her music blaring and took only her skates, phone, journal and university access card.

She hasn't been seen since.

In these past four weeks, her parents have learned their happy, successful teenager was, in fact, struggling terribly on this first foray away from them. She had just been home for reading week so they knew that her grades had slipped recently, that she'd broken up with her boyfriend and was unhappy in residence.

What they didn't know was Nadia had been found drunk on campus, was hospitalized twice for fainting spells, had seen a counsellor for depression, and had been prescribed sleeping pills and an anti-depressant by doctors at the university.

It was as if the police investigators were telling them about a completely different girl than the one they knew.

We send our kids off to university or college a year sooner than we went ourselves, but are they really ready for life on their own? Should the university be held accountable? Or is it the understandable scapegoat for parents dealing with an unfathomable loss?

They sit far apart on the sofa, the stress of this last month pushing them to their own corners of grief. Back and forth they have travelled to Ottawa, combing every street, every bank of the canal, in a desperate hunt for their girl.

Her broken father believes university and police callousness meant their chances of success were doomed from the start. Nadia disappeared late March 9 and her roommates reported her missing the next day. But the university didn't inform her parents until Wednesday.

MET WITH NONCHALANCE

Three days gone, they turned in panic to Ottawa Police but were initially met with equal nonchalance. "They screwed it up from Day 1," her dad charges. "They told me, 'We have 4,000 kids go missing from the Ottawa area every year. Yours is not the only daughter to go missing.' I didn't get answers until a week and a half later."

Yet so many questions remain. Was Nadia suicidal? Was she the victim of an accident? And most importantly, they want to know why no one warned them their daughter was so troubled.

"All they say to you is that she's 18," her father complains, "and we can't say anything to you."

And by law, they are right. At 18, our children are considered adults. But for a parent, they are still -- and always -- your baby.

Last week, they returned to Ottawa to try and speak to their daughter's doctors but were rebuffed because of patient confidentiality.

Kajouji was told by his own doctor patients on Nadia's anti-depressant should be monitored because it can cause suicidal thoughts.

"How can you give someone medication that has to be supervised when they're alone in a strange city with no support?" her mother demands.

The police searches have been called off. They now wait for the melting snow and ice to yield more clues.

"I think my daughter is somewhere in that river, I do," her father admits, the tears slipping down his cheeks. "I have hope, but I'm hoping for a miracle. In my heart, I know as soon as the ice melts, my daughter's body is going to show up.

"My daughter is gone," he adds, sobbing, "and they can't even have the decency to look for her. I have to wait for them to find a bag of bones they'll have to identify with dental charts."

In the meantime, they feel they can do nothing more than warn others preparing to send their children away to school for the first time.

"They paint a bloody rosy picture during recruiting," Nadia's mother says bitterly. "They lead you to believe they'll look out for them. Don't believe them. Don't believe them because once your child is there, they're on their own.

"We sent her out a shining star completely well-rounded in every aspect of her life, and then something went terribly wrong and they left her to rot.

"Nadia deserved a hell of a lot more than what she got from them. All of our children do."

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »

Missing teen met suicide fan on Net

April 9, 2008
OTTAWA -- The father of a missing Carleton University student says his daughter was discussing suicide with another person on the Internet the day she mysteriously disappeared.

Mohamad Kajouji says his 18-year-old daughter Nadia was talking with the unknown person on MSN Messenger all day March 9 until she told a roommate she was going skating on the Rideau Canal that night.

Ottawa police met with Kajouji last Thursday and told him they found records of the conversation on the teen's computer.

Kajouji says the person Nadia was talking to seemed to know a lot about suicide.

According to the father, the online conversation between Nadia and the other person, who he said was female, ended around 8 p.m.

Police say they don't suspect foul play in the Brampton, Ont., teen's disappearance.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2008/04/09/5234491-sun.html

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:23:55 AM »

In search of hope

April 13, 2008
If others knew, why didn't they act? Mohamad Kajouji has many unanswered questions about his daughter's disappearance.

At 3 a.m. one morning last week, Mohamad Kajouji climbed into his truck and drove to Ottawa from Brampton, a route he's driven about a dozen times since his daughter, Nadia, disappeared. He arrived at the Rideau Canal after daybreak and began his achingly lonely search.

It took him three and a half hours; up one side of the canal, down the other.

It's easy to imagine this hollow-eyed man, a butcher at Costco, tramping through the melting snow looking for his dead child, all the while praying for a miracle.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

When Nadia, 18, disappeared, the abundance of snow made a ground search difficult. Now, as each layer melts, Mr. Kajouji searches anew.

"She's not there," he said afterward. "You couldn't drown a mouse in it. It's not deep enough."

Police have told him she is likely in the Rideau River, not the canal. He can't believe she jumped in the river. Surely if she's there, it's because someone threw her in, he says. In an Internet chat with a suicidal woman from the United States, recovered from Nadia's computer, she stated explicitly that she would "never" jump in the river because she would be swept to the St. Lawrence Seaway. She told this woman she loved her parents too much to do that. If she killed herself, she would take her identification and head to the canal.

Later on the day of this e-mail chat, Nadia messaged a roommate to say she was going skating. There has been no sign of her since.

>>>>the complete article
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=95ce7f31-d990-4354-a0d6-e3c5558b4847&k=6683

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »

Missing Carleton U student's body found in river
'I knew something like this was going to happen,' father says

April 20, 2008
A body found washed ashore in the Rideau River Sunday morning is that of Nadia Kajouji, the Carleton University student who went missing March 9, Kajouji's family says.

Kajouji’s father Mohamad confirmed it was his daughter during a phone interview while police officers were still in his Brampton home to deliver the news.

"To be honest, I know that something like this was going happen," he said about Nadia being found in the water. He had told the media since her disappearance on numerous occasians that he'd likely get a call from police informing him they found her in a bag at the bottom of the river.

A recreational boater found the body of a young female at the water’s edge just behind St. Paul’s University on Main Street, police said. The boater called police around 11:14 a.m.

Carleton University student Nadia Kajouji was declared missing after she was last seen on March 9 outside of her residence.

“We have reached out to the family today and informed them of the possibility it is their daughter,” said Ottawa police acting Insp. John Maxwell.

The body found showed no visual signs of trauma and police are not suspecting foul play. It’s likely the young woman drowned, Maxwell said.

An autopsy still has to be conducted to determine the cause of death. The body of the young woman was put in a beige van around 3:30 p.m. after lying under a yellow tarp for several hours. Police cordoned off the area with yellow caution tape, but several passersby on bicycles and joggers ducked under the tape, oblivious to what was going on.

In the park adjacent to the water’s edge where the body was found, groups of people played tennis and baseball as police conducted their investigation.

Mohamad said she talked about committing suicide with someone on MSN messenger all day the day she disappeared.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/04/20/5340546.html

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »

This is so sad.

God bless this family, especially her Dad.

Why would anyone duck under the yellow caution tape of what could have been a crime scene?

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 03:48:31 PM »

The 'suicide nurse' connection...

Suspected Minn. 'suicide nurse' has license revoked
By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

Last update: October 14, 2009 - 2:21 PM
A onetime licensed practical nurse in Minnesota has had his license revoked after state officials ruled that he entered suicide chat sites on the Internet and encouraged people to kill themselves, two of whom did just that after communicating with him.

In an order in June by the Minnesota Board of Nursing, William Melchert-Dinkel, 47, had his license taken away after the board accepted an extensive investigation about Melchert-Dinkel's several years of participating on suicide websites. His license had been suspended by the board in February.

The "findings of fact" collected by a state administrative law judge and accepted by the nurses board determined that Melchert-Dinkel went online and encouraged people to commit suicide and watched with a web cam as people killed themselves. Melchert-Dinkel failed to appear for any of the board's proceedings involving him. A call to his home this morning in Faribault was not answered.

For purposes of potential criminal charges, the state Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, based in St. Paul, is investigating Melchert-Dinkel. St. Paul police spokesman Sgt. Paul Schnell said today that the investigation continues and no charges have been filed.

"It's a complicated investigation," Schnell said, "because it's international, and it's sensitive because we're talking about suicide." Schnell said that authorities have yet to determine what jurisdiction would take on deciding whether to prosecute Melchert-Dinkel.

The nursing board's findings also include:

• The task force is investigating Melchert-Dinkel on suspicion of using aliases online and "encouraging people to commit suicide by hanging themselves."

• As "Li Dao" and "Falcon Girl," Melchert-Dinkel presented himself as a female nurse working in Minnesota whose job "gave him expert knowledge into the most effective way to kill yourself."

• Melchert-Dinkel entered an emergency room in Faribault in January, acknowledged that police were investigating him and admitted to a four-year history of assisting suicide on the Internet.

• The next day, while in an Owatonna hospital, an admissions report said that Melchert-Dinkel said he was "dealing with addiction to suicide Internet sites [and] feeling guilty because of past and present advice to those on the Internet of how to end their lives." The admissions report added that while posing as a 28-year-old female nurse he "formed suicide pacts with some that he had no intention of following through."

• In December 2007, "an individual in Ottawa, Canada, jumped with a pair of light skates on her feet into the St. Lawrence seaway" after chatting online with Melchert-Dinkel. Another suicide, by a 32-year-old man in England, also occurred after that person and Melchert-Dinkel chatted online.

The report does not identify either person who allegedly committed suicide after chatting with Melchert-Dinkel. But news accounts have identified Nadia Kajouji -- a depressed 18-year-old college student, whose body was found last spring in the Rideau River in Ottawa.

Nursing board records show a history of problems in Melchert-Dinkel's career dating to 1994, when he worked as a licensed practical nurse at Ebenezer Luther Hall in Minneapolis and later at United Hospital in St. Paul.

Records show he was reprimanded repeatedly for sloppy care, unprofessional behavior and "poor critical thinking skills." In 1996, a supervisor at United told him "his practice was unsafe" because of his difficulty retaining information and following directions, the records show. That same year, he was found to have a learning disability and anxiety disorder, records show.

In 1997, he was accused of yelling and swearing at patients at Pleasant Manor nursing home in Faribault. A coworker reported that he held one woman by the hair when she tried to remove a bandage, and yelled in her ear "you can't take that off." Shortly after that, he was fired. He later said at a hearing that he didn't intend to mistreat or injure anyone.

In 1998, he was disciplined by the board for "numerous incidents of poor nursing practice and incidents of abuse of nursing home residents," according to board records. The board allowed him to continue working, but fined him and required him to provide detailed reports from supervisors about his work.

In 2002, he was disciplined again for failing to provide updates from supervisors on his work. The board also found that, while working for a temporary staffing agency, he was asked to leave a St. Paul nursing home, Lyngblomsten Care Center, because of "multiple complaints from staff, residents and families." He was barred from working for temporary staffing agencies.

In 2003, those restrictions were lifted after he completed 1,000 hours of supervised work, board records show.

Star Tribune staff writers Pam Pam Louwagie, Maura Lerner and Glenn Howatt contributed to this report.

http://www.startribune.com/local/64216702.html?page=2&c=y

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 07:44:53 PM »

Thanks Nut.  What a sicko!  why do these regulatory bodies give so many chances to these "nurses" ? 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.