April 19, 2024, 09:43:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paterson Is Sworn In as New York’s 55th Governor  (Read 2193 times)
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 17, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »

Paterson Is Sworn In as New York’s 55th Governor

March 17, 2008
Updated, 1:47 p.m. | Lt. Gov. David A. Paterson gathered with leaders of New York State’s Legislature and judiciary in the Assembly chamber at the State Capitol in Albany at 1 p.m. as Mr. Paterson prepared to take the oath of office as New York State’s 55th governor. In a 12-minute inaugural address, he warned “our economy appears to be headed toward crisis,” but also called for a bipartisan spirit of unity and hope. He made indirect reference to his predecessor, Eliot Spitzer, who announced his resignation on Wednesday amid a sex scandal, pledging to move beyond the often confrontational style Mr. Spitzer exhibited in his relations with the Legislature.

Rabbi Shmuel Lefkowitz, vice president for community services of Agudath Israel of America of Brooklyn, delivered an invocation at the start of the ceremony. “David sees the image of God in each and every person,” he said in remarks praising the lieutenant governor.

The Rev. Msgr. Wallace Harris, pastor of St. Charles Borromeo Church in Paterson’s home community of Harlem, led the gathering in prayer: “Rescue those unable to survive without him and bless his family, bless them in their gift of support to him and the strength they must give. Mighty God, your amazement never ceases.”

At 1:10 p.m., the Assembly speaker, Sheldon Silver, formally convened a joint session of the Legislature. Mr. Paterson entered the chamber to loud applause and cheers, flanked by his parents, wife, daughter and son. The standing ovation lasted more than two minutes. Mr. Paterson wore a dark pin-stripe suit with a light blue tie.

Judith S. Kaye, the chief judge of the Court of Appeals, New York State’s highest court, delivered the oath of office. Repeating after her, Mr. Paterson said, “I, David A. Paterson, do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New York, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Governor of the State of New York…”

At which point the applause and cheering interrupted. Judge Kaye admonished, “Not yet,” and Mr. Paterson resumed: “…according to the best of my abilities, so help me God.” He completed the oath at 1:13 p.m., and applause again ensued.

Mr. Paterson then began his remarks with a joke: “NPR took a DNA test for me as they did in the program ‘African-American Lives,’ and they found a number of hits from Ireland and Scotland, so I want to wish you all St. Patrick’s Day.”

He then took turns offering ritual thanks to Judge Kaye, the two clergymen, State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli and State Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo.

Mr. Paterson then made a self-effacing joke about his visual impairment; he is the first legally blind governor in the state’s history. He recalled that at a State of the State address, while presiding over the Senate as lieutenant governor, “Apparently I was going to bring the gavel down on a glass, like this one,” grasping a water glass. Lowering his voice into a deadpan, Mr. Paterson imitated the Assembly speaker, Sheldon Silver, who, Mr. Paterson said, jokingly warned that he was not going to allow the proceeding to be turned into a Jewish wedding.

>>>>the complete article
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/from-the-swearing-in-ceremony-in-albany/?hp

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:31:28 AM »

I am very impressed with Gov. David A. Paterson of New York. I saw him speak on TV two times. He seems to have a good sense of humor and a knack for fitting in any crowd. Legally blind does not mean totally blind.

My cousin Laurie's son Lonny became legally blind at about 25. Diabetes. Of course, he cannot drive a car but he studied and became a Ph,D. in communications. He teaches a class in communications at UC Berkeley. He is married with a baby and enjoys life.

Congrats Governor Patterson.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
SteveDinMD
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:22:01 AM »

If only he didnt have to devote his first press conference to issues surrounding his and his wife's marital infidelities...  Unbelievable.  Now there's a former olympic gold medalist who claims she had a "relationship" with Patterson and that he afterward used his influence to secure a job for her with the New York State Department of Education.  If true, this is a MUCH more serious problem than private infidelities -- the woman in question claims to have audio tapes corroborating her story.  Nothing will ever come of it, though.  Patterson gets a pass on any sex scandals in the aftermath of Spitzer's resignation. 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.