April 24, 2024, 04:11:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John McCain in Israel  (Read 3857 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: March 20, 2008, 10:21:01 PM »

Here is a tender pic of John McCain at the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem with a Rabbi.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:54:29 AM »

Thanks for the touching picture (no pun intended) of Senator McCain in Israel.  I am not Jewish, but I believe with all my heart and soul, that Israel, a country so small, yet so rich in bravery, kindness, hope...everything that is good in all this world.  It has formed itself out of the ashes of the Holocaust!!!   It was cultivated by refugees, survivors, who on the brink of death themselves, breathed life into an arid patch of desert!!!  Good people, God's people, as all who embrace His Love and abide by His Laws!!!

A peaceful people who have had to, for decades, half a century, dig down into themselves to find the strength and courage to fight for what belongs to them!!!! These people are not warriors or terrorists, but have had to learn, in the hardest way of all, to fight those who would take their land, their freedom there lives, yet again!!!
  "No" they say to  those who would annihilate, exterminate them, "NEVER AGAIN"
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »

Thank you, Auntiem, for your lovely pro Israel post.

In my entire life, I have never (outside of this board) ever met up with Christians who are pro Israel! I'm so glad to know they exist.

Yes, the Jews will never forget and will fight to the death. 

You all know I always have a story to tell. I can call an 800 number in Brooklyn and talk to a Rabbi about my problems. It is then translated in Hebrew and faxed it to Jerusalem. Other Rabbis take the faxed prayers to the Wailing Wall and insert the prayers into little cracks.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:59:31 AM »

Thanks for the touching picture (no pun intended) of Senator McCain in Israel.  I am not Jewish, but I believe with all my heart and soul, that Israel, a country so small, yet so rich in bravery, kindness, hope...everything that is good in all this world.  It has formed itself out of the ashes of the Holocaust!!!   It was cultivated by refugees, survivors, who on the brink of death themselves, breathed life into an arid patch of desert!!!  Good people, God's people, as all who embrace His Love and abide by His Laws!!!

A peaceful people who have had to, for decades, half a century, dig down into themselves to find the strength and courage to fight for what belongs to them!!!! These people are not warriors or terrorists, but have had to learn, in the hardest way of all, to fight those who would take their land, their freedom there lives, yet again!!!
  "No" they say to  those who would annihilate, exterminate them, "NEVER AGAIN"

Well said, Auntiem! I'm saddened, Louise, that your experiences have been such that hasn't allowed you to encounter pro-Israel Christians. I'm afraid that doesn't speak very well of some Christians! There is no way a Christian could be familiar with God's Word and NOT be pro Israel! I'm glad you've found that here. 
Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »

I have met many Christians who are pro-Israel and unfortunately some who are not.  It is all about education, IMO.  Those who are ignorant, have no idea what Israel and it's people are all about.  How it started, on the Exodus.....when no country would take the surviving victims of one of the most evil men who ever lived, Hitler.
     It is probably prejudice, again, due to ignorance.  I AM from Brooklyn, I raised my children on LI, and have met not only many Jews, but Israelis.  My daughter's best friend is from Israel and is married to an Italian (from Italy)  Her son was born in Israel (even tho they had been living here, because her status as a former Israeli soldier granted her free Obstetrical hospitalization)  After Daniel was born they tried living in Italy, but it didn't work out, so as a result Daniel(pronounced Danielle) speaks English, Hebrew and English...at the age of 4.  Another friend of my daughter is from Romania, she is Catholic but her husband  from Tanzania is Muslim.  My son-in law was born in Iran, has been here since he was three and considers himself Persian, as most non-Muslims do. His family were Zorastrian, but he attended Catholic elementary school in NJ and my daughter is Catholic, so their child was Baptized and will be raised Catholic.

To make a long story even longer, we all spent New Year's Eve together at my daughter's home.  I am extremely happy that my granddaughter, Juliette, will grow up in an atmosphere not only multi-cultural but so loving and appreciative of other ethnicities.

A neighbor of my daughter, a lady in her eighties, escaped the Holocaust (as did Sharon's grandparents, Daniel's great grandparents.) She spent Christmas day with us, as  she is a widow and her children live out of state.  Come to Summit NJ, and you will see the finest, happiest people!!!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »

Auntiem, Your family and neighborhood sound absolutely wonderful! What a joy it must be to live where you do in the midst of such diverse cultures and yet be united in one spirit! It's everything, isn't it? Ultimately, people are all that matter.

One of the most influential people in my "walk" as a Christian was a minister named Zola Levitt, who was staunchly pro-Israel. Actually, as his name implies, he was a Messianic Jew, and had a real passion for Israel, based solidly in the Bible. Although his website is still active, and his family carries on his ministry, he passed away a few years ago. He ended every newsletter, every sermon, and every article with these words:

Sha’alu Shalom Yerushalayim,
pray for the peace of Jerusalem

You are right, Auntiem. There is no other possible reason for Christians to be anti-Israel, than ignorance. Knowledge of scripture leaves no doubt that as a country, and as an individual, we are compelled to lovingly stand with and beside her. If there is a "litmus test" for me when I choose a candidate to support, it's the attitude about our commitment to Israel.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 01:35:27 AM »

Without going into great detail, as others have spoken so factually (I'm not eloquent, as some of you her).  Most Christians, as I know ARE VERY pro-Israel.   It's stated in the Bible!  The jews are God's chosen people,  Jesus was a jew.  LV, I'm sorry you've ever been in the position of ANY true Christian who is not Pro-Isreal!   

This being in the political thread where it has been discussed of Pastor Wright's  anti-white/american sermons.  Let's talk about people who were served an injustice as well, but came through it stronger and not self absorbed (poor me).  It's the Jews!  They fought and stand tall and remain positive!   Now THAT is an example of true equality!

God Bless Israel , Christians and alll the Monkeys!   Wink

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »

Very well said Dihannah1.  I KNEW there were many Christians supportive of Israel.  Thanks for supporting my belief in the goodness of Christians, for it is only those who call themselves "Christians" and do not follow the words of Jesus, who would not be pro-Israel.  God bless these brave people  and allow them to keep their lovingly cultivated piece of desert and live in the peace they truly deserve!!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »

You are right, Auntiem. There is no other possible reason for Christians to be anti-Israel, than ignorance. Knowledge of scripture leaves no doubt that as a country, and as an individual, we are compelled to lovingly stand with and beside her. If there is a "litmus test" for me when I choose a candidate to support, it's the attitude about our commitment to Israel.

Wow! Thank all of you for your enlightening information that educated/religious Christians are pro Israel. I've met a lot of people who call themselves Christians but their words and actions are far from any Christian behavior that I can recognize.

I was born in 1944, just after WWII. When we lived in Europe (Salzburg) we couldn't say we were Jews. The situation was just too raw. My mother would take me shopping and speak to the vendors in Yiddish (the universal Jewish language). Yiddish is considered Low German so she could possible pass as a German from the sticks . The vendor would say "Ich sehe, daß Sie ein Jewess sind." I see that you are Jewish. It sounded threatening to me, a six year old. 

When my mother left my father and we came back to Sierra Madre (small town east of Pasadena) that had a synagogue and a small number of Jews. We were made fun of in school. A missionary up the street used to send me to religious camps where they tried to convert me. When I went to Pasadena High School, I read that there were two cities in the US with the highest level of prejudice ... one was Pasadena, CA. 

When I found my husband at Pasadena City College, he was Lutheran. I found out many years later from my husband's brother that the family was very upset that Jack would marry a Jew. Kenny said they thought being Jewish was worse than marrying a black.

I attended his Lutheran church with him. The Pastor was very nice. But on Easter I heard him make reference to the Jews and what they had done to Jesus. I didn't like it but my husband laughed it off.

Before we got married, we had a meeting/consultation with the Pastor. Of course he tried to convert me. He told us the things that make a happy marriage. But the most important thing the Pastor said was: In order to bring your wife into the "church" you must be a Christ like husband. Behave in the way that Christ would. Be gentle, understanding, loving, hopeful, etc. Jack nodded his head and agreed to behave like Christ would. I was stunned to hear this from him, as he was one of those Christians who didn't behave like a Christian.

We went home from the meeting with the Pastor and I thought Jack would behave differently. I fully believed his behavior would change. It didn't. I asked him to help me with something and he said he was busy. I said, "Didn't you tell the Pastor you agreed to be a Christ like husband?" He laughed.

Nevertheless, I got married in the Lutheran Church and I had my baby Kristi baptized there. I bought into the whole thing having faith that I was on the right path. Many years later, Kristi was able to renounce the baptism according to Jewish law. She was really pissed that I baptized her. Not to mention I gave her such a Christian name. She was named after Jack's great grandmother Anna-Kristina from Norway. It's the "Kristina" part that upset her. It's a definite reference to Christ.  She changed her name from Anna Kristina to Chana Rivka.

Anyway, I'm very happy to meet real Christians on this board who truly do support Jews and Israel.  I can't believe it and I'm grateful you are my friends.

Thank you all very, very much.

Love, Louise

Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »

OMG, Louise, I too was born in 1944, but not in Austria, in Brooklyn!!  I am amazed that your parents survived, as the Austrians are as bad as Germans!!  How frightened you must have been. It's too bad you left such a bad situation, and wound up in a place, with an ignorant and nasty mindset.
     I understand why you feel as you do.  Catholicism does not teach that the Jews killed Jesus...it was Roman soldiers (but Italians don't feel guilty) encouraged by the Pharisees, who were a small group of Jews who feared Jesus.  I don't know why any group today should take responsibility or guilt ....it had to happen anyway, in order  to fulfill the Prophesy of the Messiah.  Which I, as a Christian believe Jesus was.
      I feel you harbor anger for all you had to endure, both in Austria and Pasadena. If I were you, I would move to an area more multi-ethnic and try to let go of your hurt.  Whether one  believes Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of God, or a Prophet, or just a good person should never matter to a true Christian......that is not what Jesus was all about.........He told his followers to teach love and kindness, to love God and all mankind. He said to treat ALL people as we would treat Him, and that if we hurt others, we are hurting Him.

Many years ago, before I was married (and divorced) I visited Vienna, Berlin, Munich etc.  In the hotel I was staying in with one of my female friends, we had a concierge who had been captured by Americans in the war and was in a prison in Georgia (where a lot of Germand POW's were brought). A young American guy, my friend and I and this concierge got into a discussion of the Holocaust.....my friend got bored and went to bed, but I was intrigued by the discussion as was the American guy.  The Austrian gave us drinks, very small glasses, green liquid, tasted sweet...like a typical Cordial.  This concierge insisted on coming up in the elevator with me, thank God so did the young American.  The American's room was a few floors above, BUT, when the Concierge got off to walk me to my room, so did the American.  I was so dumb, I had no idea what was going on til I was safely in my room and hit the bed.  I was sick all night and all the next day.  That was almost 40 years ago, but I could've wound up in a situation like Natalee. ( in the least, that concierge had assault on his mind, and the American knew it)  I never saw the American again, to  thank him.......it was very strange, cause he had followed us off the train and asked us where we were staying, then got a room there ......but he never made any overtures....he was like a Guardian Angel and I will never forget him!!
    Anyway, the conversation with the Austrian concierge never got heated, but we were definitely sharing very different opinions!! Oh, and one more thing, (hope I'm not boring you) I had met a nice guy in Amsterdam, ( just before going to Vienna) Andy de Vriess, who was Jewish, and his parents had survived, in Amsterdam, during the war. His mother was picked up by German soldiers one day, and rode around for awhile looking for other Jews to take to the Concentration camp.....when they couldn't find more, his mother talked them into coming to her home and she would make them a nice meal.....AND THEY DID!! (and she was pregnant at the time) His dad worked in the Underground....they all survived, thank God.  Anyway he called me a few times from Amsterdam to Vienna......I'd get the messages a few days late!!  The creep concierge must have known Andy was Jewish.

I believe God puts us in situations and contact, with good and bad.  We have to embrace the good and reject the bad....leave it and let it go.  Don't harbor it and let it eat at you. I don't believe in the devil, per se, but I do believe in evil forces around us. One only has to look at the Holocaust, Bosnia or 9/11 to see, that for some reason, evil forces surround us and must be defeated!
        I am so glad to be getting to know you, Louise, and hope you can see that you have met poor excuses for Christians......we are not all like the ones you have met!! One of my daughters's husband is Jewish, one is married to a Persian (Iran) and the baby (26 yrs old, but still my baby) is engaged to a fellow half Jewish/half Italian (a very common combo in NY) His mom is Jewish, so that is how he was raised, but my daughter will be the Christian mother, so I believe the kids will be also.  They will celegrate both ethnic holidays, the same as his family does.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:36:38 PM »

Dear Auntiem,

Thank you for the fascinating post. You could never bore me. I'm happy to be getting to know you, too.

That was a really strange experience with the concierge and the American guy who protected you. You wrote "The Austrian gave us drinks, very small glasses, green liquid, tasted sweet...like a typical Cordial." I believe the concierge gave you Absinthe. It is typically of a natural green color and is often called “the Green Fairy.” When you drink it, you lose control of your mind and judgement.

My father was in the US Army so we were not in any danger in Austria where he was stationed. In those days (1950),being an American was worth its weight in gold. An American passport was highly respected. Now, having an American passport is almost worthless. Think of Daniel Pearl, the American hostages held in Iran and all the kidnapping of many Americans.

I saw Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of the Christ. It definitely showed that Roman soldiers flogged Christ and beat him all along the Via Dolorosa to the Calvary. It was very graphic and horrible. I don't know how the Jews came into the picture as killing Christ.

Auntiem, I don't harbor any anger or hurt regarding Austria and Pasadena. It was a long time ago. I think Los Angeles is one of the most multi-ethnic cities in the US, except for Brooklyn. I love living in the melting pot.

Thank you so much for all the information you have provided me. Thank you also for your valuable friendship.

With love,
Louise

Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 09:13:54 PM »

Hey Louise, Sorry, my bad, I thought you had been BORN in Austria
of Austrian Jewish parents who had miraculously survived, never sent to a camp either, like the guy I met in Holland, Andy.  Wasn't that a strange scenerio in Vienna with the American and Austian concierge?? I really haven't thought much about it since 1970, and didn't think too much of it then, except I did realize, after getting extremely sick, that there was something wrong with that drink (and the Austrian).  It's even crazy that I remember the color, and thanks for telling me it was Absinthe, which I believe is illegal in this country. Yikes, I am pretty sure I had a second, but I know I must've started feeling strange, and knew I had to get to my room.  Something similar happened while on a double -date in Guadalajara, Mexico.  As soon as I started feeling strange I told the guy to take me home, (we were in a restaurant, supposedly his father's) the girlfriend I was with wasn't so lucky, and she returned home in the early morning, after being almost all nite in her date's house ( well, she wasn't too bright any way, and wouldn't come with me).

You know when people start in with their bleeding hearts about American "torture", such as water-boarding or Abugrade, I think of the horrific death Daniel Pearl had to endure.  I'll take a pair of panties on my head any day in place of what was done to that poor man.  My daughter saw it on the Internet, no way could I watch that.  I don't think I'd ever get it out of my mind.  They do terrible things to the American soldiers that they capture, too. My God, I don't know how any human being can do such things to another.....I wouldn't do them to a bug!!!  (and I hate bugs)

Is there a way to send messages here privately?  I think there is but it's the only site I've ever been on that I couldn't figure it out.  I am starting to feel like I am being rude by subjecting others here, who are not interested in our conversation....they are here for Political talk, from which, unfortunately, I digress.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:24:11 AM »

Auntiem!  Please don't go private!  I truly am fascinated with your's and LV's posts and your experiences.  My older sister was born in 1944, me 1963, so we experienced different generations, but both led such sheltered lives compared to both of yours.   The most travel abroad I've experienced is a cruise to the Bahamas.......   So your stories both fascinate and educate me!   Just ask LV,  I love to read her Adventures thread in the Lounge.   I appreciate you both sharing such interesting stories, especially for those of us who have lived uneventful lives unlike both of you.   Please continue to share!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »

LOL!!   Di!  I was in college when you were born!!!  I actually did lead a very sheltered life....Brooklyn was a lovely place to grow up in the 50's especially where I lived, I went to Catholic girls' schools, and my parents were devout Catholics, very strict, but not mean.  (My father was 40 and my mother 38 when I was born.) I even went to a Catholic college for girls, in Pa., but there was a boys school nearby and I was in love by Oct. of my Freshman year. It lasted 3 years, but alas it came to an end!!

I lived with my parents on Long Island til I was married at 28 (I would not have dared move out, too afraid it would kill them )  My fun began as soon as I started teaching and started traveling Easter, Christmas and the whole summer......one summer is when my adventure with the Austrian happened, and I was about 26, so I did take some risks but always calculated ones. I loved the feeling of freedom, as at home my parents were very smothering, I had a curfew til I got married.  OMG, imagine me, a divorced mother of three girls (well, Amy my oldest, was on her own in NY) I was dealing with two teenage girls in Florida,and an 86 year old mom, who made all kinds of excuses for my then 16 year old running away, staying out all hours and cursing up a storm.  ( She was very angry that I moved her away from her friends, her cheerleading and LaCrosse team on Long Island)  Well, she is 31 now and has recently moved back to the sunshine state, while I'm stuck in New Jersey.  The upside of that is my oldest, is married and has a two year old and she and her husband just bought a house in North Jersey (I'm at the shore).
        I could tell stories that would make your hair stand on end about my two summers in Mexico.  Well, I didn't go wild, but my friend who I mentioned is lucky she lived to see the US again..  We were living with a Mexican family and taking courses at an extension of the Univ.of San Diego,  it was fun, but could get dangerous.

It has been a journey though, moving from LI to Fl. and teaching in an abject poverty school an hour from where I lived (Wellington, Fl), back to Riverdale, and teaching in the Bronx for a year, having undercover detectives ( who looked like drug dealers themselves)  come into my classroom with a mom to get her child, cause the uncle was just murdered down the block.  I teach in an inner city school here in NJ, too (don't live in it) I really like teaching minority kids, mine are from Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Mexico and some just African American...love them all.  OMG....My parents moved out of  Brooklyn and to Long Island, cause all new teachers were being sent to Bedford-Stuyvesant and they were afraid of me teaching in a bad neighborhood......now as an old lady that's only where I've taught.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.