March 28, 2024, 05:24:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering Katrina  (Read 3993 times)
IBE
Monkey Junky

« on: August 26, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »

Hello Fellow Monkeys

Many of us can remember how the Scared Monkeys got together online to help in Katrina.

It might be nice, after a year, as part of our life's healing process to put down our thoughts.

Here is my first one about a year ago:
Just wanted to say thanks of all my Good Fellow Monkeys--- am remembering how we all pulled together immediately this time last year over Katrina.

A few Monkeys were even the first to get an online matching program for places to live with families, using a security check. If I remember, quickly the idea came on SM and was up and running in an hour or less. Another history moment of our Monkeys.

Having had/ still having at times PTSD we need to rememer for it sometimes takes along time to heal.. have been through 3 different disasters and then all the time we have empathy for others.

Love,

IBE

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 04:54:28 PM »

Quote from: "IBE"
Hello Fellow Monkeys

Many of us can remember how the Scared Monkeys got together online to help in Katrina.

It might be nice, after a year, as part of our life's healing process to put down our thoughts.

Here is my first one about a year ago:
Just wanted to say thanks of all my Good Fellow Monkeys--- am remembering how we all pulled together immediately this time last year over Katrina.

A few Monkeys were even the first to get an online matching program for places to live with families, using a security check. If I remember, quickly the idea came on SM and was up and running in an hour or less. Another history moment of our Monkeys.

Having had/ still having at times PTSD we need to rememer for it sometimes takes along time to heal.. have been through 3 different disasters and then all the time we have empathy for others.

Love,

IBE

IBE, it brings fear to my heart to watch the weather channel today, large areas of my state and many others are nowhere near being ready for another hurricane. I pray that this storm miraculously burns itself out before bringing its wrath upon land.

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
lainey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 11:16:28 PM »

My thoughts are still in the area.  I am STILL looking for friends that I knew in nursing school at Charity.  My stepsons are still there and the progress to recovery is slow in New Orleans but the MS coast seems forgotten in the news.  We can go fight a war in another country but not help our own....i will not get started on that one.
lainey

Lainey
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 09:00:52 AM »

Yesterday was the day we 'remembered' Katrina here in South Florida.

We were all surpised as the storm made landfall on the east coast a little further south than expected in -- and cut a trail SOUTH west (very unexpected) thought metropolitan miami dade county and out thru the keys.

Too bad we weren't able to lessen the punch enough before she reached the Gulf. Too much warm water to travel over to gather strength again. Crying or Very sad

A year ago. 7 days with no electricity while it was 105 inside our homes.  The tree that came down but fortunately only took out a small portion of our 'overhang'. The impassable roads for 3 days.

Recovery was not too bad. Many of us in hurricane prone South Florida areas know how to prepare and what to expect for 'minor' hits. And know when to count our blessings.

We didn't even know what happened to the gulf for almost a week Crying or Very sad We had no real tv (other than our 2" battery operated watchman). Many of us were primarily focused on our emergency situations.

I am still recovering from Wilma. My roof was totally destroyed -- that's finally replaced.

My ceilings are finally being replaced this week from the trees that came into my kitchen and living room.

I don't know when I'll get to the remaining 'non critical' repairs.

3 weeks of no electricity. 5 days of no gasoline. 3 days before they even opened I95 and the Turnpike so that we could drive the 60 miles to try to help my elderly parents.

But still, we count our blessings -- as last year's tragedy in the gulf reminds us how lucky we are.

We were also here in 1992 for Hurricane Andrew Crying or Very sad  I've tried to block most of that horror from my memory. Helicopters dropping nets with supplies because the road infrastructure was temporarily wiped out.

I too watch the weather channel with anxiety.

As of this morning, it appears the central and western gulf may be spared and that that S Florida, the keys, and the Florida gulf may take the brunt of Hurricane Ernesto.

So be it Cool

Good luck everyone. Take the proper precautions. Know what to do and where to go. Have your supplies ready. I could write a book!

And remember -- you can find just about anything that runs on batteries or propane.

And yes -- we are all crazy for staying in these areas. But it's the price I'm willing to pay to live in paradise Cool

Pray for us all.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 11:36:40 AM »

Good luck and God bless all the monkeys who are in danger from the wrath of mother nature. Although it looks as if those of us here in Southeast Louisiana will dodge the bullet this time, as they as "it ain't over til the fat lady sings".I am checking over my supplies and am preparing to restock my batteries and propane and making sure the generator is in working order.
Katrina left us without power for over two weeks and I was like Sharon, not even knowing what was going on around me for a very long time.My heart goes out to those in Mississippi who seemingly have been forgotten,may God be merciful and spare them this year.
Lainey, I know exactly what you mean sister!
May God bless everyone in the path of the storm.

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.