April 19, 2024, 06:11:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The murder of Joyce McLain -1980- E. Millinocket, Maine Philip Fournier CONVICTED  (Read 51972 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »

http://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Judge-To-Deliver-Verdict-In-1980-Murder-Case-474607993.html

Feb 20-2018
BANGOR, Maine (WABI) - Thursday morning in a Bangor courtroom, a judge will deliver a verdict in the case of a murder that happened more than three decades ago.

Philip Fournier is accused of killing 16-year-old Joyce McLain of East Millinocket in 1980.

McLain went out for a run, never returned home and her body was found a few days later behind Schenck High School.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »

JUST HEARD ON THE NOON NEWS!  GUILTY    I'll post a link as soon as they put it up! Sentence will be at a later date. RIP JOYCE!  an angelic monkey

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 04:09:16 AM »

http://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Justice-for-Joyce-Guilty-Verdict-Closes-Nearly-40-Year-Chapter-for-McLain-Family-474903093.html

Justice for Joyce: Guilty Verdict Closes Nearly 40 Year Chapter for McLain Family
Posted: Thu 7:19 PM, Feb 22, 2018

BANGOR, Maine (WABI) - The man accused of killing 16-year-old Joyce McLain of East Millinocket in 1980 has been found guilty of murder.
The verdict nearly 40 years in the making was read in front of a packed courtroom at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor Thursday.

No one happier than Joyce's mother, who has spent most of her life fighting for justice for her daughter.

If you could speak to Joyce now, what would you say to her?

"We made it girl. We made it. We've done this together."

Closure for Pam McLain came more than 30 years after her daughter Joyce was brutally murdered in East Millinocket.

"My family and friends have always been there, 37 1/2 years long," said McLain. "That's the truth."

"She was the love of our lives. It's closure for Mr. Fournier. He's going where he should have been."

Over the years, Philip Fournier gave conflicting accounts to police.

Even after his arrest, testimony heard during the trial confirmed there was no forensic evidence tying him or anyone to the crime scene.

But Justice Ann Murray said reasonable guilt could be found from what Fournier said...

"The defendant's confession to Pastor Thomas and his mother and stepfather."

What he knew about the crime scene...

"His knowledge that it was the wrong time of the month to have sex with Joyce."

And what he did...

"And Mr. Fournier's attempt to kill himself within hours of Joyce McLain's death causes the court to find that the state has proven the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The court finds the defendant guilty."

"We're elated with the verdict," said Leanne Zainea, Assistant District Attorney. "You know we've been doing homicide cases for a while now, and this is an important case for the family and the community."

"My client is obviously quite upset," said Jeff Silverstein, Fournier's defense attorney. "Her decision today finding him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt stands in stark contrast to 35 years worth of the police, who diligently worked this case, who felt there wasn't even probable cause to arrest."

For nearly 38 years, Joyce's picture hung in the window of her mother Pam's home, a constant reminder that justice had not been served for her daughter.

But Pam McLain never gave up hope. Now, at the age of 71, she can finally close that chapter. 

Fournier's lawyer says he plans to appeal.

Fournier will be sentenced at a later date.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »

http://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Man-convicted-of-murdering-Joyce-McLain-in-1980-sentenced-to-45-years-in-prison-481072511.html

Man convicted of murdering Joyce McLain in 1980 sentenced to 45 years in prison

pdated: Fri 12:28 PM, Apr 27, 2018

BANGOR, Maine (WABI) Philip Fournier has been sentenced to 45 years in prison for the 1980 murder of an East Millinocket teenager.

A judge found 57-year-old Fournier guilty in February of killing 16-year-old Joyce McLain.

McLain disappeared while she was out jogging in 1980, and her body was found two days later.

At trial, Fournier's defense argued that Fournier's memories, which played key roles in the prosecution's case, were not reliable. One defense lawyer said doubts will linger in the case even after conviction and sentencing. There was no physical evidence that tied Fournier to the crime scene.

Defense Attorney Jeff Silverstein says they were disappointed with the guilty verdict and says Fournier plans to appeal.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »

Maine's highest court will hear the appeal of Philip Fournier Wednesday

Updated: Wed 5:24 AM, Dec 12, 2018
PORTLAND, Maine (WABI) - Wednesday in Portland, the Maine Supreme Court will hear the appeal of a man found guilty of murdering an East Millinocket teenager 38 years ago.

58-year-old Philip Fournier was sentenced in April to 45-years in prison for the murder of 16-year-old Joyce McLain.

Fournier was not arrested for the crime until 2016.

In 1980 McLain went out for a run and never returned home.

A few days later her body was found behind Schenck High School.

Fournier's lawyers claim he was wrongly convicted because his trial didn't allow for evidence of an alternative suspect.

They also say his murder confession to a local pastor should be not have been allowed and certain police testimony should have been included.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Murder-conviction-stands-for-man-who-killed-East-Millinocket-teenager-in-1980-506157631.html

Murder-conviction-stands-for-man-who-killed-East-Millinocket-teenager-in-1980

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.