April 19, 2024, 12:24:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Law to Prohibit Resale of Children's Items  (Read 5384 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: January 07, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »

New Law to Prohibit Resale of Children's Items
Posted: 5:49 PM Jan 7, 2009
Last Updated: 6:54 PM Jan 7, 2009
Reporter: Kristen Ross
We're all looking for ways to save a buck. However, come February a new law could change the way you shop bargains for your children overnight.

A new federal law which goes into effect February 10th will make the resale of some popular children's items illegal.

The new mandate is leaving both business owners and consumers scrambling for answers.

"They like things like that," Resale Shop Manager Gloria Eudey said pointing at a toy car. "I mean these all sell really well."

They're popular items that soon may be disappearing off the shelves and racks of local resale shops.

"Our understanding of the mandate from the National Consumer Product Safety Commission is that any clothes sold through thrift stores for kids will be outlawed and eliminated February 10th," Ron Crozier with Twin City Mission said.

Twin City Mission operates four resale shops in the Brazos Valley. Crozier says the new law not only affects clothes but also toys, and other items used by children under the age of 12. It will make the items illegal to sell after February 9th.

"You've got families with kids in this community who depend on thrift stores just to clothe their kids daily," Crozier said. "They can't afford to go to the malls, they can't afford to go to the retail outlets."

The Consumer Product Safety Commission pushed hard for the legislation after lead concerns in toys hit a high in 2008. The new law will soon require all children's items to have tags showing they passed new lead tests.

"I can't say there would be anything bad to happen if you bought clothes here," Bargain Shopper Lynn Waller said.

Lynn Waller who often shops at Once Upon A Child for her twin granddaughters says she relies on getting quality items at discounted costs.

She's now worried how the new mandate could affect her buying power.

"I would hate to see it close," Waller said. "I think it's good for both sides, the people that want to sell their clothes, and us that want to get a sale for our grandkids," Waller said.

Although the terms of new guidelines aren't only confusing consumers, but business owners and managers as well. Many don't know if they'll be forced to close shop, or just continue business as usual.

"It's going to affect a lot of people, that's why I think we need a clarification as soon as possible," Once Upon A Child Manager Drew Johnson said. "It's just a very broad law right now."

Some of the biggest questions many resale shops have about this new mandate is how it will affect donations, and the current items they already have in stock.

News 3 tried to contact the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to get answers to those questions as well how the new law will affect garage sales and even online sales, but our questions have gone unanswered.

Management with Once Upon a Child say they will meet with their corporate office next week, to try and get clarification about the new mandate, and until then plan to operate business as usual.
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/37235734.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »

Yah...clear as a bell...

CPSC Clarifies Requirements of New Children’s Product Safety Laws Taking Effect in February

Guidance Intended for Resellers of Children’s Products, Thrift and Consignment Stores

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

I wonder if that means they cannot sell or ship used children's clothing outside the US as well?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »

Thrift Stores Exempt From New Lead-Testing Law

Children's consignment shops welcome news
By  KEVIN COKELY

Updated 7:52 AM CST, Sat, Jan 10, 2009

The law was initially interpreted to also apply to thrift stores and other resale shops, but the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday that resellers are not required to test products.

However, regulators also said resellers cannot sell items that exceed the lead limits mandated in the new law and should "therefore avoid products that are likely to have lead content" unless they have information indicating the products meet the limits. Resellers who sell products in violation of the new limits can face civil and/or criminal penalties.

Pam Willingham, who is getting ready for the largest children's consignment sale in Texas, the Just Between Friends semiannual sale in March, said she was relieved by the agency's move.

"Well, I thought, 'Oh, my goodness, we may have to close," she said.

She said it wasn't feasible for resales shops to conduct testing.

"When you're the manufacturer, you do lead testing on one of these for all 500," Willingham said. "Well, when you only have one of these, you'd have to test it individually, and that's not going to work for resale items."

Willingham said she expects more than 5,000 shoppers to attend the Just Between Friends sale at the Will Rogers Center in Fort Worth in March.

Individual lead testing kits will be available at the sale for shoppers who want to test any products themselves.

The huge sale will feature 750 consignors spread over 50,000 square feet, selling everything from new and gently used clothing and shoes to furniture and toys.

"If it's for kids, we have it," Willingham said.

For more information on the Just Between Friends sale, visit: www.jbfsale.com.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/health/tips_info/Thrift-Stores-Exempt-From-New-Lead-Testing-Law.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:42:42 PM »

Law is meant to control lead substance in Children's items.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/pending/cpsia.asp

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.