April 25, 2024, 03:46:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food Allergy  (Read 5775 times)
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 27, 2006, 10:26:47 PM »

I ate some tuna, cooked rare last night... and woke up looking like Hitch when he ate seafood... Can anyone tell me if you can get this kind of allergy over night?  I have never been allergic before...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 07:41:38 AM »

Symptoms can appear within minutes, or up to several hours after someone has eaten the food they are allergic to.

Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 07:46:37 AM »

I'm not sure about food allergies Mrs. Red.  I had an allergic reaction to something that came into contact with my skin last weekend. I started to get red and swollen after 12 hours and by 24 hours looked absolutely freakish.  Not sure if it was a new make-up, or  if I touched my face after touching poson ivy.  

At any rate,  I would contact a doctor.  They gave me a couple prescriptions that took the swelling down.

Good luck -  hope you are not miserable too long.
JerseyMom
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 01:45:58 PM »

Mrs. Red,
Sounds more like food poisoning from improperly handled tuna.  It is called Scombroid poisoning and could have resulted from the tuna not being refrigerated at the right temperature or thawed at room temperature too long.  Did the tuna have a peppery or bitter flavor?
Here is some more info:
http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic523.htm
Hope you feel better soon!
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 03:11:58 PM »

JerseyMom... thanks for the info... sounds like you are on the money!  The doctor did say this morning that could be the cause she said that an allergic reaction wouldn't have made me so ill....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »

Mrs. Red - my son has food allergies and I know a little about them.  As with almost everything, you don't normally have an allergic reaction to something the first time you eat it.  Often times, the allergy is not to the food itself (tuna) but a spice or something used in it's preperation.  I don't remember hearing that tuna is a common food allergy.  Could they have cooked it in peanut oil?  Many people are allergic to peanuts.  

Allergies to foods can appear and go away.  My son is allergic to egg whites, peanuts and shellfish.  He is also allergic to cats.  As a child he almost ended up in the hospital after eating 4 hard boiled eggs at Easter time.  

I hope the doctor gave you some kind of perscription strength Benedryl or something to help with the swelling (hives).
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 08:10:05 PM »

Quote from: "klaasend"
Mrs. Red - my son has food allergies and I know a little about them.  As with almost everything, you don't normally have an allergic reaction to something the first time you eat it.  Often times, the allergy is not to the food itself (tuna) but a spice or something used in it's preperation.  I don't remember hearing that tuna is a common food allergy.  Could they have cooked it in peanut oil?  Many people are allergic to peanuts.  

Allergies to foods can appear and go away.  My son is allergic to egg whites, peanuts and shellfish.  He is also allergic to cats.  As a child he almost ended up in the hospital after eating 4 hard boiled eggs at Easter time.  

I hope the doctor gave you some kind of perscription strength Benedryl or something to help with the swelling (hives).

Thanks Klaasend... I think it's more like Jersey mom posted... maybe the tuna was bad ... she is making me get a blood test this week to ensure it's not mercury related.  She did give me some prescription Benedryl... and told me to feel free to take the stuff that would make me sleepy at night...

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 08:50:49 AM »

How you feeling today Mrs???

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.