April 23, 2024, 05:38:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Wiles, 26, FL 4/1/08 Son of local aircraft executive kidnapped presumed dead/conviction  (Read 31929 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 04:47:27 PM »

New Evidence Emerges In Missing Pilot's Case
FBI: E-Mails Show Ransom Demand

POSTED: 10:32 pm EST February 11, 2010
UPDATED: 11:45 pm EST February 11, 2010
LAKELAND, Fla. --
New e-mails have been released in the case of a pilot who vanished while heading to work in Lakeland.

FBI spokesperson David Couvertier said the e-mails show that the pilot's father received a $750,000 ransom demand for his son.

Robert Wiles disappeared in April 2008 while on his way to work. A co-worker, Stobert Holt, was arrested in connection to the case in December at the Orlando International Airport.

Investigators said they believe Holt kidnapped and then killed Wiles. Holt said Wiles was alive when he left work at National Flight Services in Lakeland.

Couvertier said Holt failed a lie detector test and that a trace of his cell phone locations mirrored that of Wiles.

Investigators said they also believe Holt sent Wiles' father a text message five days after the disappearance saying, "I suggest you read your Lakeland e-mail if you ever want to see your son again.'
The multimillionaire owner of National Flight Services said he found an e-mail saying, "We have Robert. if you hope to see him alive again, you must follow our instructions without deviation."

The e-mail then instructed the family to tell everyone that Wiles was ill. "Don't contact authorities and place $750,000 in small, unmarked, untraceable bills in luggage, then leave it in Robert's office at the airport," the note continued. "We are watching everything and if you think you can outsmart us, it will cost your son his life."

The family said they complied but never saw their son again.

Investigators said they found one of Holt's 15 guns hidden in the hood of his car. Records showed Holt's and Wiles' cell phones took nearly identical routes from Lakeland to Narcoosee Road in Osceola County two days after the pilot's disappearance. In the same week, Holt also told his wife that he was going out of town whereupon he rented a hotel room, investigators said. Holt told police he had met with a mistress.

The state attorney is set to use the new evidence in court Friday. Holt remains in prison without bond.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »

Last Modified: Friday, February 12, 2010 at 10:38 p.m.
BARTOW
Stobert "Toby" Holt, accused of being behind a complex murder and kidnapping plot, must post $300,000 bail if he wishes to get out of the Polk County Jail.

Prosecutors say Holt killed his co-worker, Robert Arthur Wiles, a Lakeland man missing since 2008.

Circuit Judge J. Michael Hunter made the decision to set bail for Holt after a daylong hearing Friday.

He described the evidence presented against Holt as being an "extremely strong circumstantial case."

Assistant State Attorney Cass Castillo urged Hunter to deny Holt's request for bail.

But the judge said he could only deny bail if the evidence against Holt showed the "proof of guilt is evident and presumption is great" - a standard even higher than the "beyond a reasonable doubt" necessary to convict a person of a crime.

Holt's lawyer, Howardene Garrett, an assistant public defender, said her client has no criminal history and is willing to relocate to Polk County so he could be supervised until his trial.

Other conditions of Holt's release would include that he wear a monitoring device on his ankle, surrender his passport and firearms, and not leave his home except for employment, attending medical appointments and consulting with his lawyers.

Castillo requested that if Holt can post bail that a hearing be held first to determine the source of the money.

Holt, 42, of Cocoa Beach, faces charges of first-degree murder, kidnapping, extortion and writing threats to kill or do bodily harm.

James Bucenell, an agent with the FBI, spent most of the day using a multimedia slide show to outline evidence against Holt.

Investigators first had to prove that Wiles - a clean-cut, sociable man who loved boating, fishing and flying - is dead.

Since his disappearance, Wiles' financial records show no sign of activity. He was close to family and friends, but hasn't contacted any of them. He didn't take any of his personal items, including his passport.

Wiles was 26 when he disappeared April 1, 2008. He had been working at his family's aircraft maintenance business, National Flight Services, at Lakeland Linder Regional Airport.

At the time, Holt, employed by NFS as the company's operation manager, was the last person to have reported seeing him alive, about 6 or 6:30 p.m.

Holt claimed that after work he went to Hooters on South Florida Avenue and drank some beer. But investigators say Holt can't be seen entering or exiting on surveillance footage from the restaurant.

Holt claimed he drove near two other establishments to see whether there were any women around, but there weren't so he ate dinner at an Outback Steakhouse. Holt said he paid for his meal with a credit card, but no financial record confirms this.

Phone records indicate Holt called Home Depot on South Florida Avenue shortly before the store closed at 9 p.m.

Prosecutors suggested Holt called the store to see whether it was still open so he could pick up some items to dispose of a body: a box of plastic sheeting and two rolls of duct tape. A receipt showing cash was paid for these items at 8:54 p.m. was found in the store's records, but no surveillance footage existed to show Holt was the one who paid for it.

An e-mail demanding $750,000 and signed by "Group X" was sent to Wiles' father, Tom, on April 2, 2008, using Robert Wiles' cellular phone. The money was to be put in a package and placed inside Robert Wiles' office inside the NFS building at the airport. Holt's office was right next door.

Investigators thought this was an odd choice for a drop location, considering that the building was secure - complete with an alarm system.

But no one ever picked up the money.

Telephone records are a critical part of the case.

Holt told investigators that he went to see one of his mistresses on the evening of April 3, 2008.

Robert Wiles' phone was being used on that evening. Whoever was using the phone was checking its voicemail and trying to contact Robert Wiles' father.

Records showed that Holt's cell phone and Robert Wiles' cell phone were using cell towers on a nearly identical path.

Surveillance video captured Holt's car passing through toll stations, and his SunPass transponder provided other useful data for comparison.

In one piece of footage, Holt's hand is near his ear as if he is using a cellular phone.

But records show Holt's phone wasn't being used at that time. However, Robert Wiles' phone was being used.

During an interview after the disappearance, Holt denied having or using Robert Wiles' cell phone or knowing what happened to him.

He told investigators he didn't have any weapons in his 2002 BMW convertible.

But investigators found a .40-caliber Sig Sauer handgun under the hood of his car. Investigators did not seize the firearm at the interview April 11, 2008. They later found evidence suggesting Holt might have taken steps to change the characteristics of the gun's barrel.

A receipt was discovered at a Tampa gun store showing Holt spent $200 in cash for a replacement barrel for the pistol, which he picked up April 25, 2008.
http://www.theledger.com/article/20100212/NEWS/2125056/1410?Title=Bail-Set-for-Toby-Holt-in-Complex-Murder-Kidnapping-of-Robert-Wiles

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 05:29:02 PM »

NEW BLINK POST:

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/02/12/robert-wiles-murder-unidentified-remains-found-in-st-cloud-reserve/

Robert Wiles Murder: Unidentified Remains Found in St Cloud Reserve

Bones ID'd as Andrew Johnson
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-osceola-skeleton-murder-20100217,0,5586717.story

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 02:46:19 PM »

Published: 5/12/2012 - Updated: 1 month ago

Disappearance of local native topic for CBS mystery show

The story of a former northwest Ohio resident whose body was never located but who was presumed dead in 2008, and that of his convicted killer, will be fodder for primetime news drama today on 48 Hours Mystery.

"Millionaire business owner and family man Tom Wiles received an email … demanding $750,000 for the safe return of his only son, 26-year-old Robert [Wiles], who had been kidnapped by a person or persons known only as ‘Group X,' " stated a teaser email sent from CBS about the show, which is to be broadcast at 10 p.m.

Stobert "Toby" Holt, Jr., 44, of Melbourne, Fla., who was convicted of killing Robert Wiles, was sentenced in March to 30 years in prison. He received two consecutive 15-year sentences from a Polk County Circuit Court judge after he was charged with murder, kidnapping, extortion, and intent to inflict bodily harm.
 ::snipping2::
Much more at link with pictures
http://www.toledoblade.com/TV-Radio/2012/05/12/Disappearance-of-local-native-topic-for-CBS-mystery-show.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »

Waterboard the freak....where is Mr. Wiles body!!!!! Only then will justice be served.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »

Waterboard the freak....where is Mr. Wiles body!!!!! Only then will justice be served.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »

06/08/2017

Ransom, arrest, conviction, but no body
https://crimewatchdaily.com/2017/06/08/ransom-arrest-conviction-but-no-body-what-happened-to-robert-wiles/

This man is presumed dead-I'm moving it due to a conviction. Holt was charged with murder, kidnapping, extortion, and intent to inflict bodily harm. 30 year sentence.

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.