April 26, 2024, 07:22:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeremiah Wright  (Read 6667 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: April 27, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »

I just watched Jeremiah Wright giving a big speech at the NAACP dinner in Detroit. He was dressed in a suit and tie - not wearing African garb.

During this speech he suddenly began to sing songs, dance around and imitate JFK and LBJ. He screamed out his message and he was applauded. him. He is charismatic, highly intelligent and educated. But he is crazy and hyperactive. Yet there were many nuances to what he said. He loves the attention.

Since he was exposed, Obama ditched him. Now Wright is cashing in on the Obama exposure and is out for himself.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:32:22 PM »

Louise ... in his own words ... Jeremiah Wright implies that Barack Obama is speaking as a politician when Obama refuted the "black theology" which Wright adhere to and is ... furthering through his ministry at Trinity United.

If Obama and Wright were to sincerely distancing each other because of differences encompassing the "Black theology" ... it should have been sometime within the past twenty years ... not when Obama was challenged while campaigning for the highest  office in the land ... the President of the United States of American.

Sincerely, Janet

+++++++++++++++

April 25, 2008

Bill Moyers interviews the Reverend Jeremiah Wright in his first broadcast interview with a journalist since he became embroiled in a controversy for his remarks and his relationship with Barack Obama. Wright, who retired in early 2008 as pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, where Senator Obama is a member, has been at the center of controversy for comments he made during sermons, which surfaced in the press in March.

April 25, 2008
BILL MOYERS: Welcome to the JOURNAL.

<snipped>

BILL MOYERS: Here is a man who came to see you 20 years ago wanting to know about the neighborhood. Barack Obama was a skeptic when it came to religion. He sought you out because he knew you knew about the community. You led him to the faith. You performed his wedding ceremony. You baptized his two children. You were, for 20 years, his spiritual counselor. He has said that. And, yet, he, in that speech at Philadelphia, had to say some hard things about you. How, how did it go down with you when you heard Barack Obama say those things?

REVEREND WRIGHT: It went down very simply. He's a politician, I'm a pastor. We speak to two different audiences. And he says what he has to say as a politician. I say what I have to say as a pastor. Those are two different worlds. I do what I do. He does what politicians do. So that what happened in Philadelphia where he had to respond to the sound bytes, he responded as a politician. But he did not disown me because I'm a pastor.

<snipped>

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04252008/watch.html

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:05:35 PM »

Without going into all the obvious, I found this comment below, that had a quote from someone's grandma, that I never heard before and it really stood out to me.   It was in Greta's Rev. Wright thread tonight, though I'm sure others of you probably have heard it.  LV-Under other circumstances, on a totally different topic (non-racist), I may agree of him appearing intelligent, even with a sense of humor.  It is what he spews that makes him ignorant, then Obama feeding off him for 20 yrs. is what is important for the highest ranking official in our great nation.  (Wright claims to speak for  the poor black people, but did you see the multi-million $ home he is having built right now?  Well those poor black people who are helping him build that!)   I'm not opposed to ANYBODY being successful, but I do have a problem, with ANY preacher, pastor, rabbi, etc.....  getting filthy rich of it's parishioners!  Just like Rod Parsley who's World Harvest church and multi-million $ home is several miles from me.  I cringe when I go by there!  Which is the reason would NEVER attend that church,  I do NOT believe half of what he teaches, or I would be part of another cult like Trinity!

Comment by Benjamin A. Gowind
April 28th, 2008 at 10:19 pm
Greta,

Come on. Why won’t FOX call it like it is. WE ARE WHAT WE EAT. Senator Obama has fed at Wright’s trough of hate for 20 years. My grandmother told me that people fight two wolves that live in their hearts all their lives. One wolf is named hate and one wolf is named love. I asked her which one wins She told me, ” The one you feed the most.” .Obama has fed on hate for a long, long time.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:13:59 PM »

Di ... would you please post the link to the above Greta/Fox post.

Thank you

Janet

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:17:28 PM »

I just watched Jeremiah Wright giving a big speech at the NAACP dinner in Detroit. He was dressed in a suit and tie - not wearing African garb.

During this speech he suddenly began to sing songs, dance around and imitate JFK and LBJ. He screamed out his message and he was applauded. him. He is charismatic, highly intelligent and educated. But he is crazy and hyperactive. Yet there were many nuances to what he said. He loves the attention.

Since he was exposed, Obama ditched him. Now Wright is cashing in on the Obama exposure and is out for himself.

Your right,  He just may have well lost the possible first black man from becoming President.   Rev. Wright just wants to become another Sharpton,  Jesse Jackson, Farrakhan.  He's using the person he molded for his own gain.  He even threatened him today at the Media convention , saying he will say/do the same to Obama, if/when he becomes president.   Talk about "who needs enemies, when you have friends like that?"  Worse yet, a so called Pastor/mentor/friend/uncle...  Scarrryyyy!!!!

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:23:12 PM »

Yes, but it may be a challenge sifting through all the comments, as hundreds are continually posted during the show.  But here is the thread. http://gretawire.foxnews.com/2008/04/28/on-the-record-vote-vote-now-4/#comments

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »

Di ... I believe it is all an Obama campaign strategy ... a strategy to deceive the American people into thinking that Obama and Wright are parting ways ... into thinking that Obama was a naive pawn for twenty years.

I am wondering once the campaign strategy has successfully distanced Obama and Wright ... how is it going to distance Obama's own racist, anti-American words from his two books ... DREAMS OF MY FATHER and AUDICITY OF HOPE.  Also ... how is the campaign strategy going to distance Obama from the "company" he has associated with for the past twenty years ... "company" that adhere to a Marxist philosophy.

Janet

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:34:27 PM »

Yes, but it may be a challenge sifting through all the comments, as hundreds are continually posted during the show.  But here is the thread. http://gretawire.foxnews.com/2008/04/28/on-the-record-vote-vote-now-4/#comments

Thank you Di.

Janet

_____

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:36:48 PM »

Hhhmmm, here's something interesting, if true.  Again, I'm bringing it over from Gretawire (same thread).  It get's pretty heated there, sometimes immature,  very racist, so I usually just read, but it can be very enlightening, none the less.  It gives you an insight of people across the world. There is an Australian who supports Barack!  Greta does have a huge following, whether you like her or not.  She's watched around the world.

Comment by jojo
April 28th, 2008 at 11:26 pm
Obama- Wright is my former pastor……Only because Wright retired, Obama did no leave the church for over 20 years ………….

Obama’s new pastor is continuing in Wright’s footsteps

Wright is still a member of TUCC………

but It sounds better for Obama to call him MY FORMER PASTOR.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:19:15 AM »

Wright's Voice Could Spell Doom for Obama    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/roughsketch/2008/04/obamas_pastor_reignites_race_c.html

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, explaining this morning why he had waited so long before breaking his silence about his incendiary sermons, offered a paraphrase from Proverbs: "It is better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Barack Obama's pastor would have been wise to continue to heed that wisdom.

Should it become necessary in the months from now to identify the moment that doomed Obama's presidential aspirations, attention is likely to focus on the hour between nine and ten this morning at the National Press Club. It was then that Wright, Obama's longtime pastor, reignited a controversy about race from which Obama had only recently recovered - and added lighter fuel.

Speaking before an audience that included Marion Barry, Cornel West, Malik Zulu Shabazz of the New Black Panther Party and Nation of Islam official Jamil Muhammad, Wright praised Louis Farrakhan, defended the view that Zionism is racism, accused the United States of terrorism, repeated his view that the government created the AIDS virus to cause the genocide of racial minorities, stood by other past remarks ("God damn America") and held himself out as a spokesman for the black church in America.

In front of 30 television cameras, Wright's audience cheered him on as the minister mocked the media and, at one point, did a little victory dance on the podium. It seemed as if Wright, jokingly offering himself as Obama's vice president, was actually trying to doom Obama; a member of the head table, American Urban Radio's April Ryan, confirmed that Wright's security was provided by bodyguards from Farrakhan's Nation of Islam.

Wright suggested that Obama was insincere in distancing himself from his pastor. "He didn't distance himself," Wright announced. "He had to distance himself, because he's a politician, from what the media was saying I had said, which was anti-American."

Explaining further, Wright said friends had written to him and said, "We both know that if Senator Obama did not say what he said, he would never get elected." The minister continued: "Politicians say what they say and do what they do based on electability, based on sound bites, based on polls."

Wright also argued, at least four times over the course of the hour, that he was speaking not for himself but for the black church.

"This is not an attack on Jeremiah Wright," the minister said. "It is an attack on the black church." He positioned himself as a mainstream voice of African American religious traditions. "Why am I speaking out now?" he asked. "If you think I'm going to let you talk about my mama and her religious tradition, and my daddy and his religious tradition and my grandma, you got another thing coming."

That significantly complicates Obama's job as he contemplates how to extinguish Wright's latest incendiary device. Now, he needs to do more than express disagreement with his former pastor's view; he needs to refute his former pastor's suggestion that Obama privately agrees with him.

Wright seemed aggrieved that his inflammatory quotations were out of the full "context" of his sermons -- yet he repeated many of the same accusations in the context of a half-hour Q&A session this morning.

His claim that the September 11 attacks mean "America's chickens are coming home to roost"?

Wright defended it: "Jesus said, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.' You cannot do terrorism on other people and expect it never to come back on you. Those are biblical principles, not Jeremiah Wright bombastic divisive principles."

His views on Farrakhan and Israel? "Louis said 20 years ago that Zionism, not Judaism, was a gutter religion. He was talking about the same thing United Nations resolutions say, the same thing now that President Carter's being vilified for and Bishop Tutu's being vilified for. And everybody wants to paint me as if I'm anti-Semitic because of what Louis Farrakhan said 20 years ago. He is one of the most important voices in the 20th and 21st century; that's what I think about him. . . . Louis Farrakhan is not my enemy. He did not put me in chains, he did not put me in slavery, and he didn't make me this color."

He denounced those who "can worship God on Sunday morning, wearing a black clergy robe, and kill others on Sunday evening, wearing a white Klan robe." He praised the communist Sandinista regime of Nicaragua. He renewed his belief that the government created AIDS as a means of genocide against people of color ("I believe our government is capable of doing anything").

And he vigorously renewed demands for an apology for slavery: "Britain has apologized to Africans. But this country's leaders have refused to apologize. So until that apology comes, I'm not going to keep stepping on your foot and asking you, does this hurt, do you forgive me for stepping on your foot, if I'm still stepping on your foot. Understand that? Capisce?"

Capisce, reverend. All too well.

By Eric Pianin |  April 28, 2008; 12:55 PM ET

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 12:10:24 AM »

Without going into all the obvious, I found this comment below, that had a quote from someone's grandma, that I never heard before and it really stood out to me.   It was in Greta's Rev. Wright thread tonight, though I'm sure others of you probably have heard it.  LV-Under other circumstances, on a totally different topic (non-racist), I may agree of him appearing intelligent, even with a sense of humor.  It is what he spews that makes him ignorant, then Obama feeding off him for 20 yrs. is what is important for the highest ranking official in our great nation.  (Wright claims to speak for  the poor black people, but did you see the multi-million $ home he is having built right now?  Well those poor black people who are helping him build that!)   I'm not opposed to ANYBODY being successful, but I do have a problem, with ANY preacher, pastor, rabbi, etc.....  getting filthy rich of it's parishioners!  Just like Rod Parsley who's World Harvest church and multi-million $ home is several miles from me.  I cringe when I go by there!  Which is the reason would NEVER attend that church,  I do NOT believe half of what he teaches, or I would be part of another cult like Trinity!

Comment by Benjamin A. Gowind
April 28th, 2008 at 10:19 pm
Greta,

Come on. Why won’t FOX call it like it is. WE ARE WHAT WE EAT. Senator Obama has fed at Wright’s trough of hate for 20 years. My grandmother told me that people fight two wolves that live in their hearts all their lives. One wolf is named hate and one wolf is named love. I asked her which one wins She told me, ” The one you feed the most.” .Obama has fed on hate for a long, long time.

Hi Dihannah,   

I heard the same story ten years ago. An Indian man was talking to his grandson who said he was the best grandfather ever. Grandfather said, "There are two wolves in my heart always fighting a battle. One is evil and the other is good." The grandson asked, "Which one wins?" Grandfather replied, "The one I feed."

Lovies, Louise

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »

Dear Di,

Thanks for all the information you have privided.

Love, Mama Louise

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 12:19:17 AM »

... provided

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:46:11 PM »

Dear Di,

Thanks for all the information you have privided.

Love, Mama Louise

Mama Louise,  I obviously don't have the skills like Janet at researching so many topics.  Most of what I found came from Gretawire, where many other intellectual people are, as many of you all.  I try so hard to be fair and see all sides, but I just cannot endorse Obama.  He is just way to racist, liberal and divisive, even in his attempt at uniting.  I can just see right through him.  It would be funny, if not so serious,  because I know you are jewish, but as a Christian, I read tonight, something I mentioned before that Janet took note of. They said Obama is the Anti-Christ.  Somebody who is charismatic, a uniter, appears to be something he is not.  However, even Wright took that away from him....

As for that story, it does sound Indian to me and I just loved it.  It's just so simple, but true and one I had never heard.

LV,  even though we do not agree in politics, I still love you!  And you are still my adopted mom.  We all just need to agree to disagree.   But, I do pray, you eventually see Obama for who he really is.....Wink

Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 03:30:33 PM »

I think the American blood shed during the Civil War is enough of an apology for slavery.  Not all Americans have ancestors who were slave holders or who fought on either side.  My relatives were in Europe, so what do I have to apologize for???  The years I have spent working with inner-city children. teaching them to read, love learning, love themselves, that they can be ANYTHING they want to be......enough already about slavery.  Some of my ancestors lived in Ireland, should I hate the English......NOT!!!!!!

As far as disassociating himself from Pastor Wright (calling him a reverand is more than I can stomach), Obama is about nineteen years and 11 months too late!!!!  For him to have sat in that Church, listened to racism on a weekly basis along with his wife and impressionable children and now, now when he wants to be elected to the highest office of the United States of America, is an insult to any American (possessing a brain, or at least one holding some amount of intelligence).

Yeah, Mr. Wright, it isn't GOD BLESS AMERICA, it's GOD HELP AMERICA!!!!!!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »

Barack Obama sat in Mr. Wright's  church for 20 years, listening to that kind of hate and misinformation streaming down from the pulpit week after week. It's obvious to me that he didn't find it personally objectionable, nor did he find that message inappropriate for his children. His wife obviously had no objections to it either, and it makes the context of her earlier remarks even more disturbing. And where is God's message of love in any of that race rhetoric?
It's very ironic that Americans of all races felt something new and refreshing from Obama, and were ready to embrace his message, only to find out that it's the same old bitterness and hate about race relations in disguise. We have moved past it, but apparently he has not. We didn't care about his race, only his abilities as a leader in a difficult time.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »

I believe Barack joined the church for political expediency. When he went to church on Sundays, he zoned out and used that time to think.

The children are too young to sit still for the whole service. I know for certain that most churches provide child care because children crying during the service is disruptive. So the kids were not exposed to the actual sermon.

I still believe Americans feel something new and refreshing from Obama. At least I do. I've been around forever and since JFK, Obama has been the only candidate who can measure up, in my opinion.

Time will tell. I am old enough to take chances because most of my life is behind me. The times are changing. I am looking forward.

Yesterday I contributed to Obama's fund. This was a big deal for me because I never did it before for any candidate.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »

Antiem,  AMEN!  You just said what I haven't heard much talk about,  The civil war!   God Bless you for what you do with children's of all races, who are more disatvantaged than others.  It's people like you who make the biggest difference in this world.  You help teach our future!

Mamma LV,  I just don't buy what your are saying.  Rev. Wright was his MENTOR/FRIEND/UNCLE (his words) too, not just his pastor.  You can't believe they chat outside of church and were at each others families talking about the furture of our courtry and all the horrible lives they lead, in Wright's multimillion $ home and his two Black Escalades, and the $10,000 line of credit in his church. House was beautiful when they showed it on the news.  He only wants to be another Sharpton, Jackson and Farrackan and have his day of fame.  I'm sure he teaches from the bible, the "black" version, which I don't believe God had it written by race.

I took my children to church and they have set in the many sermons, along with  attending children's classes too  even when I didn't believe they were paying attention to the sermons, they'd bring something up later the paster mentioned, and would totally surprised me they WERE paying attention, when I didn't know they were.  Please don't be naive in thinking children aren't paying attention, when they really do. I'm sure your daughter would come up things that surprised you at times.  They are good little listeners (sometimes, even when you wish they DIDNT) are like little sponges.  My girls still remember sermons from there childhood now as adults.  Yes, HIM and MICHELLE heard it all, he wasn't zoning....  Sad thing is, he didn't know Wright would turn against him, his own pastor!  But the truth is out now.

I respect we all have our own opinions, but I do fear horribly what may happen if he would become president.  I know you say you have most of your life behind you, but remember the grandbabies' who still have a long way ahead of them. The race issue is going to get worse, with him in office.   Let's think of our grandchildren's futures.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 11:58:13 PM »

I believe Barack joined the church for political expediency. When he went to church on Sundays, he zoned out and used that time to think.

The children are too young to sit still for the whole service. I know for certain that most churches provide child care because children crying during the service is disruptive. So the kids were not exposed to the actual sermon.

I still believe Americans feel something new and refreshing from Obama. At least I do. I've been around forever and since JFK, Obama has been the only candidate who can measure up, in my opinion.

Time will tell. I am old enough to take chances because most of my life is behind me. The times are changing. I am looking forward.

Yesterday I contributed to Obama's fund. This was a big deal for me because I never did it before for any candidate.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 07:34:38 PM »

Mama Louise,   You just repeated what you said above, without responding to what I said about church and children.  I'm just cuiouse what you have to say to my points.   Thanks...  Di Wink

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.