April 24, 2024, 02:24:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery at Boca mall: Cops seek killer of woman, child - Florida  (Read 10702 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: May 05, 2008, 10:11:34 AM »

Mystery at Boca mall: Cops seek killer of woman, child
Mon, May. 05, 2008
The two cases are strikingly similar.

The victims were abducted in their own vehicles from the parking lot of Boca Raton's Town Center Mall, near Nordstrom.

Both were women who drove black SUVs. Both were forced to drive to ATMs and withdraw money.

And they were bound in a peculiar way: handcuffed, their feet and neck bound with plastic zip ties.

Each had swim goggles, blacked out with duct tape, placed over her eyes.

The similarities end there.

In the first case, a 30-year-old woman and her 2-year-old son were left bound and gagged in her SUV about 4 p.m. Aug. 7, 2007. The woman managed to free herself and call for help.

Four months later, on Dec. 12, Nancy Bochicchio, 47, and her daughter Joey, 7, were shot in the head at point-blank range. Mall security personnel found their bound bodies in the SUV with the motor running about midnight.

Since then, a team of investigators has been sifting through hundreds of leads, in a makeshift war room at the Boca Raton Police Department.

The city of Boca Raton is offering a reward of up to $350,000.

And investigators have marshaled the power of the Internet, launching a MySpace page. At one point, they posted a video on YouTube in the hope that someone will give them the clue they need to catch a killer.

They have a composite sketch of a possible suspect.

No one has been arrested.

TAKEN AT GUNPOINT

In the first incident, the assailant was waiting.

The woman, who has since asked not to be identified, was strapping her 2-year-old son into his car seat that August afternoon when the man appeared and fixed a gun to her child's head.

''Get in,'' he said.

He turned the gun at her, and told her to drive her black Lincoln Navigator from the Nordstrom parking lot to an ATM machine, where $600 was withdrawn from her account.

He was about five feet six inches tall. His hair was pulled back in a ponytail, and he wore dark sunglasses and gloves. His face was covered with a floppy hat.

''Please don't kill us,'' the woman begged as they drove around. ``Take whatever you want.''

At one point, he forced her to pull over in a deserted parking lot of a Boca Raton restaurant.

He bound her ankles with zip ties, handcuffed her and fastened her neck to the headrest. He drove back to the mall, near the Sears entrance, and placed swim goggles on her, blacked out with duct tape.

Before leaving, he reminded her of what he took: ``I have your license. I know where you live. I'll come after the both of you.''

He disappeared. She wriggled free of her restraints and went to the Neiman Marcus valet, where someone called the police.

The memories of that terrifying afternoon are never far from her mind.

'There were times I thought to myself, `I'm going to die. He is going to kill us,' '' the woman said. ``As soon as I started to cry, I knew I had to hold it in for the sake of my son.''

SECOND INCIDENT

In the second incident, on Dec. 12, a surveillance video captured Nancy Bochicchio and her 7-year-old daughter entering the mall at 2:19 p.m. They were shopping for Christmas presents. They left less than an hour later, at 3:11 p.m.

Eight hours later, a security guard on patrol found Bochicchio and her daughter, Joey Bochicchio-Hauser, dead in their black 2007 Chrysler Aspen. It was parked near Nordstrom and Sears with its engine running.

Mother and daughter were shot in the head. The killer had handcuffed them, bound their ankles and neck with plastic ties, and covered their eyes with goggles blacked out with duct tape.

Bochicchio's purse with wallet and cellphone were gone.

Police are not sure what happened after Bochicchio left the mall. They did say she made a 911 call from her cellphone, but it was quickly disconnected. An operator called back, but no one answered.

Investigators say $500 was withdrawn from her account at a Bank of America ATM machine, but they won't say where or when those events occurred.

Days after the murders, two homeless men found Bochicchio's purse with her wallet, credit card and cellphone in downtown Miami.

The bindings on Bochicchio's wrists were broken. Police are unsure whether the killer broke them or Bochicchio resisted.

Friends and family members say they believe she put up a fight to protect her daughter.

''She had New York in her blood,'' her sister JoAnn Bruno said. ``She always did whatever she could to protect her little girl.''

TASK FORCE AT WORK

At the Boca Raton Police Department's training facility, the walls of a converted meeting room are covered with pictures of the victims and aerial snapshots of the crime scene at the mall.

Nine full-time members of a task force -- six from the Palm Beach County sheriff's office and three from Boca Raton police -- spend every workday combing through evidence.

They are also looking at a third unsolved case -- a murder -- as a possible link to the abductions and Bochicchio killings, even though the circumstances are different.

On March 23, 2007, Randi Gorenberg, 52, was abducted from the Town Center Mall in her black Mercedes SUV.

Surveillance tape shows her leaving the mall. An hour later, according to police, she was shot in the head and her body was pushed out of her car in a county park.

''We're told in the police academy not to take this stuff personal, to leave it behind . . . when you go home at the end of the shift,'' said investigator Matt Duggan. ``There is no way you work a case like this and not take it personal.''

VICTIM'S ODYSSEY

Nancy Bochicchio was a financial analyst on Wall Street, living with her family in the Bronx. She later moved to Long Island, where she met her future husband, Philip Hauser.

In 1999, the couple moved to a two-story home in Boca Raton. They liked the area, and family members were already there.

Bochicchio had wanted to have a child, but was devastated when doctors told her that she couldn't conceive.

But she learned she was pregnant as they were moving south. She insisted on having the baby despite doctors' warnings that she might have complications.

''Being a mother changed her life,'' said Bruno, her sister. ``That's all she lived for.''

Joey Noel, named after her grandfather, was born Dec. 20, 1999.

''She was a perfect Christmas angel,'' Bruno said. ``Nine pounds six ounces.''

Joey called Bruno Aunt Mame.

''I can still hear her calling me,'' she said. ``Aunt Mame.''

Bochicchio and Hauser divorced in 2006. He now lives in New York.

NEIGHBORS REMEMBER

In Boca Raton, the white and beige house on the corner lot is dark and empty. Neighbors say they miss the way it was elaborately decorated depending on the season.

Joey played golf, acted in school plays and loved dancing. ''She could play dolls with a 2-year-old and then talk about politics with an adult,'' Bruno said.

Joey was looking forward to celebrating her eighth birthday and seeing her father, who was planning to visit for the Christmas holidays. The father and daughter spoke a few times, but had not seen each other in several years because of the divorce.

Bruno and other family members sent balloons to heaven to say goodbye to the inseparable mother and daughter.

''Mostly, I feel like I'm in a cloud,'' Bruno said. ``I can't close my eyes without dreaming about them.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward/story/521266.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »

On 'Dateline,' victim tells of carjacking at Boca Raton mall

June 2, 2008

The only known survivor of the mysterious killings and carjackings centered on the Town Center mall in Boca Raton detailed her harrowing experience for a national television audience Sunday, describing her abductor as meticulous and well-prepared — packing a "kidnapping kit" containing novelty store handcuffs, tie-wraps, and blacked out swimmer's goggles.

Also in the Dateline NBC show, for the first time publicly, investigators more conclusively linked the killer to multiple crimes, including what may have been his first, the abduction and murder of wealthy 52-year-old West Boca Raton mother Randi Gorenberg.

After Gorenberg's murder in March 2007, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office Capt. Jack Strenges said, the killer changed his operating method.

"Obviously, the way he does business has changed," he said. "He's incorporated a child into the scenario now. So, obviously, they're going to be a little more willing to go along with what the killer's demands are."

Dateline dedicated the first hour of its two-hour show to the abductions and murders in Boca Raton, devoting lengthy portions to the account of the 31-year-old woman who has played a vital role in the ongoing investigation.

Wearing a disguise and identified only as Jane Doe, the woman said the killer was methodical and scrupulously avoided surveillance cameras, even when he forced her to withdraw $600 at an ATM.

"He was calm. He thought about everything he did," she said.

The woman was abducted along with her 2-year-old son as she got into her SUV at the mall, forced to drive to the cash machine and then left tied up in the mall's parking lot Aug. 7.

Noting the striking similarities in the series of crimes, Strenges acknowledged what others have hinted at previously: that one man might be behind them all.

"Personally, I don't believe in a coincidence," he said. "I think there's some significant connections with the SUVs, the locations, stuff like that."

The methods used by the woman's attacker are almost identical to those in the carjacking, robbing and murders of Nancy Bochicchio, 47, and her 7-year-old daughter, Joey Bochicchio-Hauser. They were shopping at the mall hours before they were found bound and shot to death in their SUV in the mall parking lot Dec. 12. They were robbed of $500 at an ATM.

Prior to Sunday's Dateline episode, detectives from Boca Raton and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office had declined to say definitively that the same assailant was involved in Gorenberg's murder. She also was last seen leaving Town Center mall in an SUV on March 23, 2007. She was found about 40 minutes later, shot in the head and dumped behind a civic center west of Delray Beach. She too was robbed: of her purse, phone and shoes. She didn't carry an ATM card, her mother, Idey Elias, told Dateline.

The crimes have stoked fear in South Florida and fascination across the country — partly at the suggestions that a serial robber or killer may be behind the attacks.

In February, John Walsh, the host of the Fox Network show America's Most Wanted, caused a stir when he stood beside Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw and declared that a " horrible, cunning and pathological monster" is responsible for the attacks. Until then, the cases had been investigated together by a team of detectives, but no one had suggested publicly that the same person carried out the attacks.

A nine-member task force formed in mid-January to investigate the incidents has spent more than $108,000, including almost $94,000 on overtime for officers and $14,700 on DNA testing, records show.

The victim who spoke with Dateline, however, says she sees her abductor's face "every day."

"I'd like to see him get caught," she said." I'd like to be able to just look in his eyes and see who this person was who did this to me and then do this to Nancy and Joey, and possibly Randi."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flpmall0602pnjun02,0,4767160.story

Sketch link here>
http://newschomp.blogspot.com/2008/02/boca-raton-mall-killer-kills-nancy.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:51:27 PM »

color sketch

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »

Update: The woman who survived an attack at the Boca Town Center Mall is suing the mall.

The woman, known only as Jane Doe in her lawsuit, claims Town Center Officials knew of security problems before her attack. America's Most Wanted re-enactment her kidnapping last summer.

Police believe this woman was attacked by the same guy who killed Nancy and Joey Bochicchio. The Bochicchio family is also suing the mall.

Previously: New information from a woman police believe was kidnapped along with her toddler by the same man who killed Nancy and Joey Bochicchio.

Four months before the Bochicchio's were found murdered in their SUV outside Boca's Town Center Mall, another woman and her 2-year-old son were kidnapped from that mall but ultimately released. That woman who gave police information to make the new colored suspect sketch doesn't want her identity revealed for fear the attacker will come back for her. But she did agree to an interview with our news partners at the Palm Beach Post. The woman also spoke to Fox's America's Most Wanted which taped a recreation.

Now, we're learning from the Post interview that when she and her son first arrived at the mall, she noticed a new silver Chevrolet suburban parked in the space next to her.

Later, the gunman kidnapped her in her own car and made her withdraw money from an ATM. She says the gunman, who was now driving her car, slowed to a near stop in another section of the mall parking lot and made eye contact with a white man behind the wheel of that same suburban.

The kidnapper then continued to another part of the lot where he eventually left the woman and her son.

Police have not previously released information about this other SUV to the media.

http://www.wflx.com/Global/story.asp?S=7932410&nav=menu98_3

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »

Just aired on AMW

http://media.amw.com/multimedia/fileRepository/db/458/531/WEB-sketch-primary-large1.jpg

Wanted For:
Murder (2 Counts)
Boca Raton , FL
Possible Location(s):
Florida
Boca Raton , FL

Latest Airing:
January 09 2010
June 28 2008
February 16 2008
January 12 2008
December 22 2007

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.