April 20, 2024, 04:23:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help we have Snakes ??? Can you identify this critter?  (Read 27767 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2008, 10:22:47 AM »

Bearlythere - trust me, at my age I chase no one nekkid 

OldFart 

I figure I'll be carrying the bigger stick with my hoe, that snake won't have a chance for now I am truly MAD at that stupid snake who has all of the great outdoors to wander in except for my little quarter acre !!!

stay tuned.....we have more rain today so don't expect to see Blackie, it does appear she or he avoids getting out in the rain - must fear bad hair days ! 

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »

OK this is bad news to read, I watched the video at noon and this man is a caretaker in Cumberland county which is quite near to Fayetteville, NC in the piedmont area of NC. So with Fort Bragg located in Fayetteville, one has to suspect that the king cobra arrived illegally here in the US and then was released. I just hope they catch it.........that man says he's not stepping outside of his home without a gun now. I did not realize king cobra's can stand as high as a human when poised to strike   

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2909932/

Man says king cobra seen in Cumberland woods 
Snakes alive! King cobra reported in Cumberland woods

Posted: May. 19 4:56 p.m.
Updated: May. 19 6:55 p.m.

Fayetteville, N.C. — Wildlife agents are scouring the woods near Cedar Creek after a man says he spotted what looks like a king cobra there last week.

Vernon Byrd was on an all-terrain vehicle in a field off Johnson Road last Tuesday when he said an 8-foot-long snake reared up beside him – and the serpent's head was about shoulder high to him.

"I caught something out of my eye, and this snake comes up beside me and looked at me," Byrd said. "I've seen every kind of snake in this part of the country, but I've never seen a snake like this."

He called Freddie Mims, a licensed wildlife rescue agent, who said the description of the snake sounded like a king cobra, the world's largest poisonous snake.
"Somebody (probably) had one illegally and sold it illegally. The person that bought it (likely) accidentally let it escape," Mims said.

Cumberland County Animal Control officials said they're trying to determine if anyone in the area ever owned a king cobra. Having an exotic pet is illegal in Cumberland County and carries a $1,000 fine.

Nearby residents said they thought the snake escaped from Jambba's Ranch, a local tourist attraction with exotic animals like a 700-pound bear and a camel.

"It's not true. We don't have a king cobra. We never had a king cobra," said James Bass, owner of Jambba's Ranch.

Residents said pit bull puppies and chickens have disappeared in recent days.

"(I'm) staying in the house," said Ida Edge, who has been on edge about the situation.

Byrd said he doesn't walk in the field anymore without a gun, and he won't go into the woods where he last saw the snake.

"(Wildlife agents) tried to get me to go with them, but I wouldn't. I told them they hadn't seen what I'd seen."

Reporter: Bryan Mims
Photographer: Michael Joyner
Web Editor: Matthew Burns
Copyright 2008 by WRAL.com. All rights reserved.

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »

It looks like OldF is going to have to dress them all up just to take a stroll.  I'd be seeing snakes everywhere and probably shoot my foot off.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 08:54:47 AM »

Bearly, I agree. I had to clean out fallen limbs in beds in the front yesterday, I swear I was afraid to step anywhere in that pine straw so I went to get my hoe to protect me 

Blackie has been hiding .......... ugh !

If I'd seen that cobra I'd have fainted from fright, after looking up photos of them on the web well  The video of the guy said that it didn't slither on the ground either, that it coiled up like a spring and the very end of it's tail pushed it along very fast????? You have to wonder how far that snake can travel in a day ??? 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2008, 07:36:21 PM »

Snakes in the wild can travel?
Like.......how far?

Maybe I need to buy a hoe.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2008, 07:07:52 AM »

Like.......how far?

Ask Farmer ho ho bringing you a hoe hoe.  Just don't chop off your toe toe.

I believe in miracles!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »

Bearly 

If you want to be truly freaked out, just search YouTube for King Cobra video 

Lord please don't let me ever find a snake like that in my yard 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »

I'm not sharing these with Blackie but wanted to send one to OF for the holiday 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27020617@N08/2521840816/

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »

Like.......how far?

That would be a No-No.......

OK....I'll stop.

In my version of hell......there are King Cobras. 

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2008, 03:43:09 AM »

Like.......how far?

That would be a No-No.......

OK....I'll stop.

In my version of hell......there are King Cobras. 

Don't stop, Go-Go!

I have never seen a King Cobra but I have met a few Queen Cobras in my time.   

None, God be with you on your upcoming trip.  That must be a drag being gone so long.  What will we do without blackie sightings for the next six weeks?  Life just won't be the same.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2008, 03:50:35 AM »

I'm not sharing these with Blackie but wanted to send one to OF for the holiday 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27020617@N08/2521840816/

They look lovely and they smell good, too.   
OldF is one lucky man!

The only ones blackie gets are the 'snake bite' snacks.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2008, 03:56:58 AM »

I just had to jump back in to tell you, I was thinking of y'all when I saw the Indiana Jones movie.  There is a rat snake in it.  Indie isn't any fonder of snakes than we are. 

Great movie.

I believe in miracles!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »

Bearly.....I'd Go-Go, but I'm feeling Low-Low.........

I will miss nonesy, but I don't know about missing Blackie! 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »

Bearly thank you, I honestly hate the travel and am already tired just thinking about hiking through the airports and the lack of sleep when I'm at client sites.

So Indiana Jones hates snakes too? I'm in good stead then !

I promise Blackie got NO cupcakes 

pdh I'll miss all of you too, Blackie really has not come back since Red chased it - one would hope that stupid snake got the message !!!

Everyone take care !!

oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2008, 06:40:55 PM »

NoneS

Did you ship that CupCake...  UPS, FedX  or USPS.     I sure do not want to miss the delivery. 

Sooo  it sounds as if Blackie and BigRed  have to come to an understanding on property lines 

Wishing ya the best... on the new assignment... hope there is NO Snow involved this time 

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »

None,

I know Blackie is old news by now, but I don't come around these parts so much anymore and just noticed this thread.

About 20 years ago I was in the same situation.  My new home was an unwilling host to Blackie's northern cousin, the blue racer.  When we first bought the lot we were warned about the large snake that resided here, but truthfully I thought the neighbors were pulling my leg.  Your property sounds much like ours and is surrounded by a creek, woods, and lake.  One day I was walking across the yard and not only got my first glimpse of the infamous snake, but nearly stepped on him!

Lots if stories about the attempts to rid ourselves of him, but long story short we never did catch him.  And he hasn't been seen for many years.  The first year I found a skin he had shed and had therefore had proof he was as big as I remembered. There was lots of activity that first year, but I think he tired of the trouble and moved on.  We see small snakes each spring when we put the dock out so we know there are still some around.

A couple bits of advice: never walk barefoot in your yard!  A friend did just that, stepped on the snake and it coiled around her leg.  Also, if you have not done your landscaping yet I would consult someone who can steer you in ways to avoid attracting snakes with your rocks, plantings, etc.

Good luck to you and Big Red!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »

OF I fear that is one of our most perishable cupcakes, the raspberries don't take well to packing 

NO snow but a lotta heat, in fact I didn't have a single good hair day as a result all week  it's HOT in TX !!! I just ordered four linen blouses from Talbots online for I cannot wear jackets in that heat all summer !

Bobo - good to see you again, welcome back ! Sigh, I fear we won't catch Blackie either and Red has such a high prey drive, well Blackie must have sensed that - guess it's a good thing? Funny you mention the landscaping, our front has been landscaped by the builder but I had wanted to put a stacked stone low wall in the backyard to build out a garden.........well certainly rethinking that now. Snakes surely do love those hot sunny stones don't they?

I am not surprised to hear about your friend, honestly I do not think racers are afraid of humans at all either - Blackie was not ! I have to clean out the beds in front from time to time with the storms, tossing limbs and whatnot around. Well I scope out the area bigtime before I even set foot in that pine straw. I also won't go out there in anything but long pants and thick tennis shoes !! I may order some of those thick rubber gardening clogs too, just to be safe !

I hope you are doing well, we plan to go over to the lake tomorrow just because I need to smell and see the water - these long weeks on the road take a lot out of me as do the airlines and the flights. My psyche suffers as does my aging body 

Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2008, 08:26:31 PM »

I think you should just give in...assign Blackie his own address and pretty soon he can get his mail at the same time as you.  In fact, he could check on your mail when you are gone...he's family now.  Hope you don't have a hot tub! 
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »

No one is going to mess with this kid's baby sitter.

I believe in miracles!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2008, 08:27:32 AM »

Bearlythere  isn't that a python with that baby ?????????? SHIVERS !!!!!!!!!!

Lala's - know what's interesting? We didn't see a single squirrel or possum since moving in, even near our yard. I found that really odd, well early this morning there was a pair of squirrels in our yard?

I think Blackie moved in down the street with our newest neighbor  might just be wishful thinking but no - we don't have a hot tub. At my age I no longer do public nudity 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.