March 28, 2024, 02:10:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help we have Snakes ??? Can you identify this critter?  (Read 27579 times)
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »

Possums? Ick!
 I just might prefer Blackie, and that's saying a lot. Possums are MEAN and they hiss! They have those nasty little razor-like teeth, and they'll poop in your garage.
Being raised in the big city of Birmingham, I did not know about possums. When we moved here, I got quite an education. They love cat food and dog food and they will come into your garage and eat through the bags of pet food and make a BIG MESS. And when you chase them out, they hiss and get very nasty. They are almost indestructable ( except when they fight cars) and they are the cockroach of the animal world. They eat everything.....they are disgusting! It's like having a big rat living in your yard.
Can you tell I did not enjoy making the acquaintence of the possum in my yard? I didn't even know possums LIVED in people's yards like that. 

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2008, 02:37:05 AM »

Pdh-

I had a possum we named Jethro that loved my front porch at my old home, I'd agree with you they are nosey and invasive, but we could not get rid of him. Eventually he brought his wee family with him !! I've posted a photo I took of him and posted here at SM years ago. No sign of Blackie according to little none this week but then it's Red who really knows, not us  He's king of his back yard now, really funny to watch him survey and do his deer hop when he's monitoring the perimeter.

Now we have black bears in the next county over, I thought of NJSons_Mom when I saw a photo posted on a city-data board of a big black bear next to a picket fence 

I met a couple of consultants this week that reminded me of Blackie too 

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2008, 02:43:50 AM »

It's a grainy photo at night from my camera phone but here's Jethro through the glass of my old front door 

fyi, I drove past my old home recently, the one I sold to the very status conscious and stuck-up young attorney. He's dug up every flower and rose in the front yard and the yard is going to heck in a hand basket.

so I hope Jethro gives him a good talking to !!

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2008, 10:11:56 PM »

Jethro looks like he's up to no good.... 

Snakes, possums, bears.....I'm skeered of 'em all.   

nonesy - I know a few people who remind me of Blackie as well. I'm not afraid of those kinds of snakes though...just disgusted by them!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2008, 10:19:01 PM »

Pdh - my soft-hearted little none wouldn't stop leaving food out for a stray cat which is why Jethro decided to move in 

Yep, some disgusting snakes in this world that don't travel on the ground but dress up in shiny suits and even high heels 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »

I sure found out how much possums like pet food.....especially cat food.  My kids love the stories of Mama and the possum invasions.

I'd leave the garage door cracked for my kitty to get in and out, since he loved to spend time outside. We adopted him as a stray half-grown kitten, and he never liked to be inside all the time. I had some food and water in the garage for him becuase he'd seldom come in to eat. I noticed that his food was disappearing very fast from his bowl, and he seemed to be getting thinner. I took him to the vet, but he was fine. Then one day the cat food was gone from the bowl, and there was a big hole in the bag. I thought my cat had gone crazy, because the night before there was a lot of big noise and hissing going on the the garage. When I came out to investigate, my cat was on top of the freezer, but the garage seemed empty. There was cat food ALL OVER!!! Then I thought another cat must be coming in, so I decided to shut the garage door completely.
I actually unknowingly locked the possum in the garage that night, and he destroyed the blinds on the window, scratched my car, re-spilled all the pet food, turned over the litter box, pooped and peed all over, and just generally wrecked my garage. Stupid thing. I heard more noise, and when I went to see what kind of demon possession was taking over my cat, I opened the door and saw a possum! I tried chasing it with a broom, but it just sat there and hissed at me. The cat wisely took off.
My next door neighbor came and kicked it out with steel toed boots so it wouldn't bite him, and boy it was hissing and growling and showing it's nasty teeth. It plainly had no desire to leave Pet Food Heaven.
That's when I learned about possums loving pet food, especially cat food. I had NO IDEA.
Stupid City Girl!

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2008, 05:43:14 AM »

I sure found out how much possums like pet food.....especially cat food.  My kids love the stories of Mama and the possum invasions.

I'd leave the garage door cracked for my kitty to get in and out, since he loved to spend time outside. We adopted him as a stray half-grown kitten, and he never liked to be inside all the time. I had some food and water in the garage for him becuase he'd seldom come in to eat. I noticed that his food was disappearing very fast from his bowl, and he seemed to be getting thinner. I took him to the vet, but he was fine. Then one day the cat food was gone from the bowl, and there was a big hole in the bag. I thought my cat had gone crazy, because the night before there was a lot of big noise and hissing going on the the garage. When I came out to investigate, my cat was on top of the freezer, but the garage seemed empty. There was cat food ALL OVER!!! Then I thought another cat must be coming in, so I decided to shut the garage door completely.
I actually unknowingly locked the possum in the garage that night, and he destroyed the blinds on the window, scratched my car, re-spilled all the pet food, turned over the litter box, pooped and peed all over, and just generally wrecked my garage. Stupid thing. I heard more noise, and when I went to see what kind of demon possession was taking over my cat, I opened the door and saw a possum! I tried chasing it with a broom, but it just sat there and hissed at me. The cat wisely took off.
My next door neighbor came and kicked it out with steel toed boots so it wouldn't bite him, and boy it was hissing and growling and showing it's nasty teeth. It plainly had no desire to leave Pet Food Heaven.
That's when I learned about possums loving pet food, especially cat food. I had NO IDEA.
Stupid City Girl!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:39 PM »

Pdh- that sounds like a possum terrorist YIKES !!!!!!!!  That is NOT funny one bit, tearing up everything in your garage that way, I guess I had no idea they could be so destructive !!

Poor Blackie is no longer with us........and no it wasn't us who did Blackie in! Daughter found him tangled in some webbing the landscaper had put down over a bare spot with some erosion issues, came outside at noon today and Blackie was a goner? I'll post photos tomorrow and she was brave and cut him out of the webbing even before she knew for sure Blackie was a goner. I arrived home tonight and I'm puzzled how the snake could not have been out there the night prior, yet died so quickly?

Sigh.......I have to admit I feel sorry for Blackie but I feel sorrier for darling daughter having to tend to that snake, I'm not sure I'd have been as brave as she was !

I guess now I'll have to start posting photos of the birds that built a nest in the corner of our new fence within 24 hours of it being completed?

My Rick so loved the birdies, we're thinking of mounting a birdhouse on the corner of the fence next to Rick's bird bath.

Night all you monkeys.........

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2008, 06:43:18 AM »

Pdh- that sounds like a possum terrorist YIKES !!!!!!!!  That is NOT funny one bit, tearing up everything in your garage that way, I guess I had no idea they could be so destructive !!

Poor Blackie is no longer with us........and no it wasn't us who did Blackie in! Daughter found him tangled in some webbing the landscaper had put down over a bare spot with some erosion issues, came outside at noon today and Blackie was a goner? I'll post photos tomorrow and she was brave and cut him out of the webbing even before she knew for sure Blackie was a goner. I arrived home tonight and I'm puzzled how the snake could not have been out there the night prior, yet died so quickly?

Sigh.......I have to admit I feel sorry for Blackie but I feel sorrier for darling daughter having to tend to that snake, I'm not sure I'd have been as brave as she was !

I guess now I'll have to start posting photos of the birds that built a nest in the corner of our new fence within 24 hours of it being completed?

My Rick so loved the birdies, we're thinking of mounting a birdhouse on the corner of the fence next to Rick's bird bath.

Night all you monkeys.........

Little None is really brave.

Are you sure blackie is dead or has he been reading here and is just playing possum?

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2008, 03:05:50 PM »

Trust me, he/she's dead - saw it with my own eyes   

Little None has class all day then we're heading out for a light dinner so we can go have ice cream at the old school ice cream shoppe 

So hopefully she will load the Blackie done left the building photos so I can post some for you later........stay tuned 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »

Your daughter is a brave soul. I'm even scared of dead snakes.....

How's the dog taking the news? 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »

pdh - I think she was brave for she knew pup had to go potty outside and she couldn't risk a live snake lying in wait for him? I would have put the leash on him and walked him instead, she is braver than I am when it comes to snakes !!!

Well son says he 'fried' but I don't know what to think but here is the saga of Blackie.

First photo is what she saw when she poked him and he didn't move, but that was after she circled him for a good bit with the extension pole - don't blame her for that ! You can see he's caught in the landscape mesh....

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »

This is the close-up ICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »

oh shoot Klaas, my eyes are so tired I thought I scaled the photos down but doggone it, guess I didn't !

SORRY !!!!!!!!!!

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2008, 01:31:07 AM »

Ugh! Those photos give me the willies!  My skin is crawling!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.