April 26, 2024, 05:07:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #753 5/20 - 5/28  (Read 265766 times)
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #300 on: May 24, 2008, 11:04:23 AM »

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/usvisit/USVisitnotice1-5-04.pdf

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »

http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/reportincidents/

I guess is the standard dress was a burka, this would already be over.

+++

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »

not even a mention of this.

Chertoff commencement speech 5-22-2008 at Fairleigh Dickinson University.

++++++++++

Release Date: May 22, 2008

East Rutherford, NJ

Secretary Chertoff: President Adams, Mary Kay, members of the Board of Trustees, thank you very much for awarding me this doctorate. To the students, and perhaps even more so to the parents, I congratulate you on reaching this very important milestone in your life. Congratulations.

It's a pleasure to join you here on the floor of what is now called the Izod Center on this wonderful occasion. Of course, I go back far enough to be able to remember when this was Brendan Byrne which goes to show you how much things change over time.

For all of you this is probably not the first commencement or graduation ceremony. You have all graduated from high school. Some of you went through graduation ceremonies when you left eighth grade and many of you will continue to future commencements or graduations as you proceed to receive professional degrees, or pursue other kinds of graduate studies.

In some ways you go through life, it'll seem as if you have a series of milestones or commencements; when you finish a job, when you get married, when you move to a different part of the country. It won't all be attending ceremonies as grand and as well populated as this, but they'll all be occasions for reflecting back on what has gone forth and for considering what lies ahead.

Well, I will say this: this is the commencement that finally and irrevocably launches you on the path to adulthood. There is no turning back. The period of preparation is over. Now it's kind of starting a new life. And so I thought what I would do is try to take a little bit of my own experience in a number of opportunities that I've had over my life to reflect and maybe give you my perspective on what you need to bring with you as you embark on this next stage of your adulthood.

First and foremost as you look back on what you've already achieved I think you have to remember that you've got to believe in yourselves. It's your ability to meet tomorrow's challenges with optimism and confidence that will give you the greatest set of tools that you can possibly have to go forward and meet your destiny.

Now as you go out in life you are going to meet pessimists, the Chicken Littles who will always tell you that the world is bad; that it's getting worse. They're going to warn you all about the tough circumstances and they're going to tell you to downsize your plans, alter your dreams, and live a life of diminished expectations.

Sometimes these people tell you that they're discouraging prognosis is really just realism. But I actually think it's not realism. I think it's fatalism. I think fatalism is shrugging your shoulders and not confronting the challenges. I think realism is continuing to keep your ideals in mind even as you recognize that life will present many challenges as you try to realize those dreams.

Now, of course, as the Secretary of Homeland Security I constantly face the need to be realistic without becoming fatalistic. The threats our country faces are real enough and as George Martin illustrated with his effort to raise funds on behalf of the first responders of September 11th, we can never forget what this country has been through and we've got to continue to dedicate ourselves to assure to the extent that's humanly possible it never happens again.

But the fact that these threats are real does not mean we have to be fatalistic or resign to the fact that they're going to happen again.. In fact, because we've gone seven years without a September 11th attack we can afford to be realistic and optimistic at the same time. It doesn't mean that we become complacent. It doesn't mean we shut down our efforts. It doesn't mean that we lurch between the (inaudible). But what it means is we continue to move forward with a balanced and realistic view of what challenges we face in a very dangerous world, keeping a balance between our security, our liberty, and our way of life.

The next observation I guess I would make based on my experiences are to prioritize. I can guarantee you this: as you get older your life is going to get busier. It's going to get more complicated. There are going to be increasing demands on your time and you're going to have family who are also well deserving of your attention.

That means you're going to have to work at setting priorities and recognizing you can't do everything at once, and you've got to figure out what the most important thing to do and what has to be done first.

Every day you're going to have to make decisions that reduce the clutter in your life; the things you've allowed to accumulate over time, sometimes without regards to your most important goals and values.

A third piece of advice, maybe one of the more important pieces of advice, be a good listener. Now of course we're all designed with two ears and one mouth and not the other way around. That should tell us something about the relevant priority of listening as opposed to talking.

In my job, in fact, in all of my jobs sometimes the most valuable lessons learned are those that are taken by listening to other people including people who disagree with you or people who criticize you. You may not always accept the observations or criticisms of those people, but it's always worth listening to what they have to say so you can test your assumptions and your own values.

If you train yourself to be a good listener you will go far in life, and that includes your personal life where you will make your loved ones feel much more appreciated if you (inaudible.)

But, you know, there is a time that you have to talk as well, and so my fourth bit of advice is when you are ready to speak, learn how to speak persuasively. Learn how to speak to convey values in simple common sense terms.

Now not all of us are blessed at birth with the ability to be great speakers. And some of the best speakers, and most notable speakers in history have been those who worked very hard to overcome handicaps in this regard.

Winston Churchill, for example, is widely regarded as one of the greatest orators in history, but it didn't come naturally. When he was a young man he practiced each day in front of a mirror and he used to work laboriously to write his speeches out to memorize them so while it appeared he spoke off the cuff without any preparation, his speaking was actually the result of a great deal of labor.

When you do speak publicly my advice is very simple; be clear and direct and use plain, basic English and talk about analogies in terms that puts people in their own daily lives.

A fifth bit of advice is to work hard at being resilient, and by that I mean emotionally. And let me be pretty blunt. The farther you go in life, the more impact you make, the more you make decisions, the more you try to accomplish, the more likely it is that you're going to wind up stepping on someone's toes or having somebody who strongly disagrees with you, and you're going to finally get pummeled and you get criticized, and sometimes you can get attacked.

And in order to keep moving forward on the path to which you've dedicated yourself, and in order to keep moving forward to actually achieve and accomplish the things that you’ve worked for, you have to prepare yourself emotionally for the fact that you will be criticized and you will be pummeled. And sometimes you will have setbacks but it is only by having an emotional resilience to continue to move forward that you have any hope of accomplishment.

If you look back over some of the historical figures you've encountered in the course of your studies here and when you were in high school or even earlier, people like Lincoln, people like Franklin Delano Roosevelt, people like Winston Churchill, reflect on this, although in the light of history it looks like the decisions they had made were very straight-forward, very obvious, and clearly correct. When they actually lived in the events of the day making very difficult decisions, they often found themselves on the receiving end of an enormous amount of criticism.

Abraham Lincoln was mocked, criticized, widely despised at various points during the Civil War. There were riots in New York and Baltimore. In fact, there was some question that he couldn't even reach the inauguration without being assassinated. But because he had the emotional resilience to continue to pursue his dream of the union, he was able to persevere and this country is the better for it.

My final bit of advice is this: that whatever you choose to do, you invest your lives in something that is bigger and greater than yourselves and your daily concerns. Some people do this by dedicating themselves to public service, and I know for example that I’m privileged to lead an organization with 208,000 public servants who do everything from guard our borders to make life more secure at our chemical plants and our airlines, to manning cutters up in the Arctic and in the Caribbean in order to protect our maritime domain. But all of them have in common the public service at the very top of the list (inaudible).

But even if you decide you want to pursue private interests I strongly recommend you consider volunteer work in your community, whether it's through Citizen Corps or any one of the number of auxiliaries or voluntary organizations. Whether it's assisting firefighters or first responders or children or people in need, your ability to (inaudible) community and to the public is going to be enriching and is going to make whatever you do seem more balanced and more rewarding.

So that's my advice to you as you pass this stage of commencement to the next stage of commencement. May you do all great things with the time that you have. May you remember that the time that you have is limited and none of us knows what the limit of our time is; and may you be a blessing to yourselves and to your loved ones in the next generation.

Congratulations and God bless you.

+++

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #303 on: May 24, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »

Rob,
I've been preaching for 3 years that "something" MUCH bigger involving the U.S. Government and Aruba is going on. I think you had it nailed last summer when you brought in the "Korean money laundering" aspect. It is that or something similar!!
I still stand by the adage:
The FBI knows
The U.S. State Department knows
The KLPD knows
The Hague knows

PS : I would like to know who "Kermit" actually is and his connections -- he "knows" as well. 

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #304 on: May 24, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »

Quote from: klaasend on March 01, 2008, 11:50:37 PM
http://www.24ora.com/content/view/3989/1/

Durante e dianan di 27 pa 29 di februari 2008 un delegacion di Homeland Security (snipped)

Through translator:

during the dianan of 27 for 29 of feburary 2008 one delegacion of homeland security come across

Sounds to me like the Homeland Security delegation was meeting 2/27 - 2/29.  AF2 didn't arrive in Aruba until the evening of 2/29 and is scheduled to leave on Monday.

I get the impression DHS didn't want anyone to know about this new deal with Aruba. No mention of it anywhere in their press releases.

+++

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #305 on: May 24, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »

Rob,
I've been preaching for 3 years that "something" MUCH bigger involving the U.S. Government and Aruba is going on. I think you had it nailed last summer when you brought in the "Korean money laundering" aspect. It is that or something similar!!
The FBI knows
The KLPD knows
The Hague knows

PS : I would like to know who "Kermit" actually is and his connections -- he "knows" as well. 

Hi wreck... I agree they all know what happened. North Korea is giving the Bush Admin fits again..I've been following this very very closely. They were tied to the Syrians and are not dismantling the nuke program. Bombs not words work better when dealing with dictators. That's all they understand.

I *think* Kermit told you (all) who he is... maybe cryptically...and I *think* Kermit knows what happened to Natalee. jmo.

+++

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2008, 11:49:48 AM »

Rob,
The FBI knows
The KLPD knows
The Hague knows

Hi wreck... I agree they all know what happened. North Korea is giving the Bush Admin fits again..I've been following this very very closely. They were tied to the Syrians and are not dismantling the nuke program. Bombs not words work better when dealing with dictators. That's all they understand.

I *think* Kermit told you (all) who he is... maybe cryptically...and I *think* Kermit knows what happened to Natalee. jmo.
I missed what Kermit told us "crypticly" -- but I do recall him telling us that he has been on Air Force 1 and he "knows" all the "Ex-U.S. Presidents".

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #307 on: May 24, 2008, 11:58:01 AM »

Rob,
The FBI knows
The KLPD knows
The Hague knows

I missed what Kermit told us "crypticly" -- but I do recall him telling us that he has been on Air Force 1 and he "knows" all the "Ex-U.S. Presidents".

There ya go...

I'm trying to find "the money" tied to this new deal. There is always money involved... and sometimes used as an incentive to get one country to stop whatever it is they are doing. I'm starting to suspect that is what this is all about.

Get Aruba to stop this money laundering with narco-terrorists and bomb makers. This could all be disguised as something other than what it truly is.

+++

Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #308 on: May 24, 2008, 12:07:34 PM »

wreck, just thinking back to last summer and the NK nuke program and the money laundering.

The other country that was mentioned was Cuba... and we all know what is going on there. Raul Castro is now in charge. This regime is on it's last legs. I can't help but wonder if this is all going to catapult very quickly should Fidel die.

Maybe they are trying to get Aruba in line and starve North Korea's nuke program of the funds it needs. They can't seem to get them to disarm no matter what they try.

A country like NK would probably try to find someone else to accept their bogus counterfeit currency... but it's going to be much harder to find someone with access to legitimate American dollars and a large supply of them.

+++

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #309 on: May 24, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »

wreck, just thinking back to last summer and the NK nuke program and the money laundering.

The other country that was mentioned was Cuba... and we all know what is going on there. Raul Castro is now in charge. This regime is on it's last legs. I can't help but wonder if this is all going to catapult very quickly should Fidel die.

Maybe they are trying to get Aruba in line and starve North Korea's nuke program of the funds it needs. They can't seem to get them to disarm no matter what they try.

A country like NK would probably try to find someone else to accept their bogus counterfeit currency... but it's going to be much harder to find someone with access to legitimate American dollars and a large supply of them.

I think you are on to something!!

Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »

OT/ Hey NJMom, I see you are here, I'm getting more familiar with NJ and I was wondering where you live?  I'm way down in Brick, but my daughter just bought a home in Summit and I've been learning more and more about finding my way around.
( Stallwart Long Islander that I am...I am here for good....or as long as Amy and her family are here!!!!
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »

i was surprised to see Oduber signing next to Chertoff.
because foreign affairs are handled by the kingdom government, not Aruba.

http://www.overheid.aw/index.asp?nmoduleid=19&wgid=6&spagetype=21&nPageID=4000211&nCMSPageType=1

Met deze ondertekening is Aruba het eerste land ter wereld die beschikt over deze faciliteiten.
Een andere unicum van deze ondertekening is dat de minister president de heer Nelson Oduber namens het Nederlands Koninkrijk getekend heeft.

With this signing Aruba is the first country in the world with these facilities.
An other unique aspect of this signing is that prime minister Oduber signed on behalf of the Dutch Kingdom.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »

OT/ Hey NJMom, I see you are here, I'm getting more familiar with NJ and I was wondering where you live?  I'm way down in Brick, but my daughter just bought a home in Summit and I've been learning more and more about finding my way around.
( Stallwart Long Islander that I am...I am here for good....or as long as Amy and her family are here!!!!

You can ask this type of question in Musings or Monkey Lounge threads, auntiem....I read them all, especially it being slow here, lately.  I'm in northern Passaic County.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #313 on: May 24, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »

wreck - check this out... finally found a little something here. And check the date!!! Airforce Two was on Aruba or about to arrive.

Had to shrink this down a little, hope you can read it.

+++

Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2008, 01:16:02 PM »

Sorry!!!
Destiny
Monkey Junky

unwatched kids will be given sugar + a free puppy

« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »

If he is coming down with what I have been praying for...

it is a wicked case of diabetes of the ca-jonies!

(Apologies to the Honorable Mr. Steve Holloway. I know praying for bad things
 is not a decent thing to do.)

Carpe...your...Prayers....are just fine Dear....I pray too... Wink

I Stand With The Girl *NATALEE HOLLOWAY*

Aruba Beware *AN ANGEL LIKE NO OTHER* has fallen amongst you....may you know the fury of HEAVEN!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #316 on: May 24, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »

wreck - check this out... finally found a little something here. And check the date!!! Airforce Two was on Aruba or about to arrive.

Had to shrink this down a little, hope you can read it.

Good catch! 

I know this is a very unpopular view, but I still think Beth and Dave may be a little more "clued-in" than we might think. It may be more of a "gut feeling" -- I just perceive a little different demeanor from them for a while now.

jackb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #317 on: May 24, 2008, 01:38:55 PM »

Sorry!!!

Whose kid is this and how the hell did she get her eyes blackened?
   jackb
carpe noctem
Monkey All Star Jr.

History repeats itself. It's a cyclical beast.

« Reply #318 on: May 24, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »

If he is coming down with what I have been praying for...

it is a wicked case of diabetes of the ca-jonies!

(Apologies to the Honorable Mr. Steve Holloway. I know praying for bad things
 is not a decent thing to do.)

Carpe...your...Prayers....are just fine Dear....I pray too... Wink

LOL! Hi Destiny,

I'm glad to know I have good company.

For Natalee and Stephany, whatever it takes.

-JUSTICE FOR NATALEE ANN - BOYCOTT ARUBA
------------------
"Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do." Thomas Jefferson
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."Thomas Jeff
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #319 on: May 24, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »

Good catch! 

I know this is a very unpopular view, but I still think Beth and Dave may be a little more "clued-in" than we might think. It may be more of a "gut feeling" -- I just perceive a little different demeanor from them for a while now.
[/quote]

you're probably right. Beth and Dave probably do not care about all this other stuff and just want Natalee back. If this stuff is keeping that from happening, I can bet it's probably infuriating.

by the way wreck... I think you are one of the most insightful people on this board and some of the stuff / ideas you come up with are truly brain stimulating.

your theory on the crab trap was off the charts and I still to this day give it a lot of credence.

+++

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.