March 28, 2024, 11:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Cars - Are They A Reality  (Read 2269 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: June 07, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »

I would have never considered anything like this years ago, but am seriously thinking about it now.  The evolution has become such that it is getting more and more practical.  The problem lies with our legislators now.  It seems that there needs to be a special ordinance passed to allow there use.  I did at one time use a low CC motorcycle, but it is just not practical in this weather for 8 months out of the year.  I am now looking at the pros and cons of these as a second car.  Use limit obviously needs to be controlled since they have top speeds of 35 mph.  The area I live in is quite rural, but the small city expansion has created speed zone streets between communities of less than that.  There are about a dozen or so communities all connected which gives us close to a million people combined.  This includes shopping centers and the largest mall north of Milwaukee.

It will be interesting to watch the oil company lobby as it attempts to influence against this type of transportation.

http://www.ecarco.com/dynasty/itsedan.html

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/20/green.hummers/

I caught wind of this last week, GO, when I read something by Neil Young.

The above link is the CNN version of the story. 

In Neil's story he said that he had realized that he would not be able to change the world with his music (as a huge Neil Young fan, I thought that was a sad statement) but he thought he could change it with an electric car.

I hope this becomes more than a 'novelty'. I hope it becomes a new way forward.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »

Yes, I had been watching the progression of the hybrid car for some time now.  It still needs to have gasoline.  This is why the "all" electric car is so interesting.  Obviously, a domestic model will only be for city driving, but the prices are not that unreasonable.

I had made up my mind that the next car I buy will be a hybrid, but for a second car if we have one, I would like to see if the all electric would be practical.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 07:34:41 PM »

I admire you, GO.

I just had to make the decision -- and I went with a regular car again. Maybe in 3 years the hybrids -- or total electric -- cars will be more practical for the every day person.

It just didn't work for me this time.

I hope to read your updates. 

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.